• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a Camino Trail Experience Book to Read

isawtman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2022
Ice Age Trail, 2014, 2019
Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone is writing a book about the camino
and wants someone to read it. This is sometimes called
a Pre-Edition, where the author lets people read the
book and make comments. I have done this before
with trail guides, but that was trails I have actually hiked.
I haven't hiked a camino yet, but plan to hike one later this year.
So, I would rather it be a non-trail guide at this point.
Lots of people write about their trail experiences, so that's
what I'm hoping to read

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there , I have been busy on a book for 12 years. I am dyslexic and never read but I am about 2 thirds through. I constantly adjust passages and chapters. You are welcome to read it . I had a post shut down by a moderator for sharing a passage on the forum. Best you PM me with your email.

I have proof read a number of Camino manuscripts over the past 20 years (not any more though).
Join the Camino Athors group on Facebook where you can ask for help or join podcasts on self-publishing, editors and other useful subjects. Some useful tips:
Before you start writing, try to avoid a few pitfalls.
Which is the most common Camino route written about?
Camino Frances
What is the most most common title of a Camino pilgrimage book?
Buen Camino and Way of the Stars
What is the most common photograph or artwork for the cover?
The Alto del Perdon metal sculptures
What are the most common mistakes made in Camino pilgrimage books?
Spelling errors. Misspelt town and city names, incorrect Spanish names, Saint's names etc.
What is the most common adjective used?
Very
. Find at least 24 adjectives to use instead of 'very'
What is the big NO-NO when writing a Camino pilgrimage book?
Plagiarism. Copying text from websites, books, academic papers etc without giving credit to the original authors.
BE CONSISTENT
Create a style sheet so that you are consistent with how you write numerals, times, dates, distances, decades, centuries and Spanish names etc. There is an example in the FILES.
EDITING
Find a good copy editor who know the Camino you are writing about and will ensure that the facts, spelling (especially Spanish gender specific words), punctuation and grammar are correct.
Find a good proofreader. This is the final edit of the copy and the proof reader will check all of the above as well as ensure that you have used the same font style and size, text spacing, ., before you publish.
I have read books where the author meets up with a pilgrim (say at Astorga) who she first met at the Cruz de Ferro. (muddled geography!) The volunteer in an albergue is a 'hospitalero'. In one book the author used 5 different words - 'hospitaler' 'hostelero' 'hostelleria' etc.
TIP: It would be helpful to ask a friend or colleague who has a good knowledge of the Camino you are writing about to check your facts, the geography, mileages, spelling etc.

Attachments

• 96790677_10157262859184033_6446764349590601728_n.jpg
    96790677_10157262859184033_6446764349590601728_n.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 32
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Everyone

what I'm hoping to read
Isawtheman: Reply with your email I can send you a PDF excerpt of my draft book which I also started 7 years ago and am about 2/3rds through. Cheers. PS: it's about a man in his mid-50s walking with his younger brother from SJPP to SdC. Sillydolly has it about right!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

what I'm hoping to read
I am writing a memoir of my Camino trek. Several of my encounters warmed the heart, brought about evenings of laughter, and, generally speaking, put life in perspective. But it also became a bit of a Joycean (as in his stream of consciousness) ramble containing reflections of my term here on this earth; thinking of my parents and grandparents (I am in my late sixties - so those thoughts go way back (lol)); what I did wrong or what went right; and application of religion/spirituality (on the Camino and in life). Some of it is tongue-in-cheek and much of it is self-deprecating. I never really thought of publication, I intended to leave it for my children to read.

Hi Everyone

what I'm hoping to read
I have written a novel, not a guide, it all takes place along the Camino. About a middle-aged Canadian couple who have managed to screw up their rather privileged lives and the Camino lets them find themselves again. I have it all written and even professionally edited and now doing a not very good job at getting it published or possibly finding an agent.
Julia. my blog: Juliawriting.ca

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Part of why I have chosen to finally come this year is for my book " A Lifetime of Journeys."

It is a compilation of first person accounts on enduring COVID-19. All we hear about are heavily debated topics such as politics, science, health care, economics, etc., and all justifiably important, but it would all be moot if it were not for the everyday people who've had their lives turned upside down (though there also have been those who have not) through their own battle with the virus, loss of a loved one (or loved ones), closures of businesses, loss of jobs, homes, and self, to name but a few of the collateral damages the pandemic has racked up.

It will be a book of reflection, understanding, heartbreak, anger, compassion, and...hope. A historical event that the entire human race has endured together; millions of individual journeys in the space of a shared lifetime.

I will be conducting interviews over the next year and for me it is important to hear from as many people across the globe as I can. The Camino seemed to strongly respond.

My hope is that in the general course of doing my Camino that I have longed to do for over a decade, that organic opportunities will present themselves. I have no interest in being a pest or a stalker, I am trusting the path to provide when appropriate. I'm interviewing an Australian gentlemen from the Forum here and perhaps there will be others that are born of this platform as well. Who knows, there may end up being a Camino specific book in here somewhere too.

The general tips here have appreciatively been noted!

Buen Camino

Hi, I have written a couple of murder mysteries ‘Murder on the Camino Francés’ and ‘Death on the Primitivo’. I have an agent, but not a publisher. Let me know if you are interested. I would love some feedback.

Isawtman—your question is appreciated. Since 1970, I have been travelling to Spain for business, pleasure, and adventure—perhaps 40+ times. In my case, the Camino (CF) was a culmination of sorts—a capstone, if you will—of my essential personal history in Spain. Over the years, I have chronicled many stories to eventually serve up in some grand tome and that would include my Camino experience. At this point, I have a very thick manuscript which has been edited, but it is not Camino-centric. It is a memoir, of course, and also a coming of age story, albeit one reflective of a still evolving man. Spain is a delicious moveable feast that, like Paris was for Ernest Hemingway, I am fortunate to digest every day no matter where I am. There are more chapters to be written . . .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
okay I have one possible book that I am reading.
I'll get back to the rest of you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back