• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wrong boots in sahagun

pcarey

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
Someone took my wife's boots in sahagun and left their own. If you did this, let me know where in Leon we can retrieve her boots. Her name, a. Carey, is marked on the boot' tongue.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Whatever about losing boots in Sahagun I hope you dont get bitten there as I was on Sept 9th.
While on the camino these past 4 weeks I came accross many peregrinos who had been bitten while staying in both Hotels and Albergues Still I enjoyed the whole experience that is The Camino

Hi,

I hope your wife will be reunited with her shoes!

For now, I hope you still have a good camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have one lime green and one psychedelic orange lace in my boots! People avoid them!

pcarey, I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your wife’s boots. I have a question is it common to leave your boots unattendedat the albergues? I know people leave they backpacks (bad enough in my opinion) or just a few albergues that enforces this kind of rule. When the hospitalero says “leave your boots at the door” can you just stuffed in a bag and take it with you?

Zo

Yes, is is pretty common to have to leave your boots near the front door of the albergue. There is often a shelf to put them on. I suppose that you could put them in a plastic bag and take them inside. The object is the mud and dirt that is tracked into the main albergue. Lots of dirt even when not in rainy season.
I can see the reason....but don't like it as boots are sometimes taken in error and sometimes just because they are better than the ones someone else is wearing. Hard to believe that someone would take anothers boots, but it happens.

I am wondering if the boots that were left were similar or were actually "taken".

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
zzotte-One has just walked 20-25-30 kilometers, a good walker changes socks sometime during the day, but the boots! Sweaty and moist on the inside, muddy or worse on the outside (those who have tiptoed through the tulips which Galician cows leave behind on the Camino know what I mean). Boots must be aired and dried as much as possible before the next morning's cafe solo if you want to save your feet from blisters, from fungus(i), and to keep mildew out of your boots. A bag is not the right idea. The entrance shelf is perfect and should one really worry about thieving boot snatchers why those plastic clip locks should keep them there until you return.

Scruffy I agree with you 100% it just sad that still happens when for the most part los caminantes are examining they inner selfs and/or religeous reasons. I guess I'm just naive.

Zo

scruffy1 said:
zzotte-One has just walked 20-25-30 kilometers, a good walker changes socks sometime during the day, but the boots! Sweaty and moist on the inside, muddy or worse on the outside (those who have tiptoed through the tulips which Galician cows leave behind on the Camino know what I mean). Boots must be aired and dried as much as possible before the next morning's cafe solo if you want to save your feet from blisters, from fungus(i), and to keep mildew out of your boots. A bag is not the right idea. The entrance shelf is perfect and should one really worry about thieving boot snatchers why those plastic clip locks should keep them there until you return.

Scruffy1, I havent come across those clip locks, what do they look like and are they easily got.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Heck, if I lost my boots it would be like losing my best friends. Iv'e read of various (shall we be kind) "mistakes" being made - but boots are such a personal thing. Maybe someone, somewhere is suffering from a lot of unexpected blisters and realising their folly.
Commiserations, but try to be philosophical and continue to enjoy your caminos. That's one more story in your memory locker.
Buen Camino
Allan

The boots were the same brand, Scarpa, and identical in appearance, but differed by two U.S. sizes. We're disappointed that no effort was made to return them.

Too much information can sometimes be a bad thing. That may happen here when things that we post come to be more of a concern than need be. Putting locks on boots - let's be serious. That seems to be unnecessary paranoia not prudence.

I really do not think there is any reason not to trust that boots or shoes would be safe leaving them at an albergue entryway. Theft of these items in not prevelant. In this instance, as evidenced by the fact that a similar model of boots to the ones taken was left behind, it appears that it may well have been a matter of mistake. Who knows how long it may have taken the person who took the wrong pair to realize that a mistake occurred and what effort they might have made to try to find the rightful owner. A two US size differencial may not have been readily noticable, particualrly given the varied sock thickness and layers that many wear.

Not everyone on the Camino reads this forum or has an alternative communication avenue. There is no central lost & found source. Consequently even if someone were trying, they might not have any way of reuniting items with their rightful owner.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh please, TWO sizes biger? What you wearing your sleeping bag on your foot for socks? Enganando a mi me gusta. :D

Zo

My shoe size varies from 10, 10 1/2, to 11. That's a two size difference. In fact after a day of walking my foot size, as does many other people's, expands a size or two. That's why particularly with sport and athletic shoes it is often advised to purchase shoes late in the day when feet tend to have swelled more so as to accomodate such fluctuation.

There are circumstances where any property may be the subject of theft, but someone's else's smelly used shoes??? Yeah it is possible. If so it is likely so rare as to not be a concern.

With all the good advice on this forum I think it can be misleading and a disservice to give an impression that the theft problem is as bad as this. If I am naive I hope to stay that way because it sure beats living in a world of paranoia and suspicion of the worst in others.

I'd say the theft problem is an issue on the Camino. I had a friend walking this summer who had her nice trekking poles taken and the person left their crappy ones behind. She knew who took the poles but never came across the guy again. I am sure she would have had words with him if she did.

I don't think it's unreasonable to use a few zip-ties (they weigh NOTHING) to secure your boots together and then to something else, if that's possible. It's not going to keep the determined from getting your stuff, but it could slow them down. While this was not an issue when I was a hospitalera last fall, I did hear people sharing stories of things being taken, including shoes and poles, the most common things left out in the open.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Too slow down a possible theft, I locked both boots together with a small lock, used to lock a suitcase. I did this in the big albergue in Burgos where all the shoes are kept in those huge vertical drawers.

OK I'm now convinced. If in future my shoes get stolen, rather than worry about it I'll be ready to do the remainder of the Camino barefoot!

Please don't anyone steal my pants off the laundry line!

markss said:
OK I'm now convinced. If in future my shoes get stolen, rather than worry about it I'll be ready to do the remainder of the Camino barefoot!

Please don't anyone steal my pants off the laundry line!

Ha!!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree with Heather. It does happen. Not often...but if you lose your boots mid-Camino it is a real problem. Decent boot store with a selection are scarce on the ground for most of he Camino.
There is an odd store here and there but not much in the way of stock or sizes.
I would much rather be a bit wary than lose something as important as my boots.
We would often tie a bunch of the groups together to discourage casual or accidental taking.
Not much help but better than nothing.
Several times I have had my boots moved to a completely different shelf or area in a larger albergue. Someone was messing with them for some reason and I am just glad they were not taken.
Never hurts to be careful....it does hurt to lose your boots or something else valuable.

Markss I didn’t mean to imply that you use two sizes too big of a boot, (I actually use 1 ½) what I meant to say was how can one "mistaken" take someone else boots two sizes to big, ones feet will dance inside, and with good intentions one would return right way.
As for a little paranoia its good unfortunately is the world we live in, I think a little preventive measurement goes a long way, be with your boots, backpack, jacket or whatever, is that going to stop someone from taking your stuff if they really want it? No, as for me ( paranoid or not) I’m removing my orthotics and just for the fun of it I’m not putting my boots side by side when I have to leave them out my site hahaha that will fix they asses hahaha.

Zo

I almost walked off with someone else´s boots one morning in Astorga.
It was dark, I was trying to creep out without waking up everyone, the boots were identical to mine, but a size or two larger. I only realized something was wrong when I stepped down stairs in them, and realized they weren´t tight enough. I bent down to re-tie the laces, and woah. They were laced-up "wrongly." Thankfully I had not gone too far in them, I snuck them right back onto the rack and found my own pair, just where I had left them.

Close call. It can happen to you.
(and for the record, last year the Hungarian hospitalera at Calzadilla de la Cueza had her splendid German leather shoes "liberated" by a pilgrim. The person who was almost instantly caught, though: the Hospi just called ahead to the hospitaleros in Ledigos, Terradillos, etc. and described the shoes -- bright red Mary Jane flats. She had her shoes back within a day!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back