• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Xacobean Nautical Crossing

kenwilltravel

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal (2018)
Portuguese Coastal, with Spiritual Variant (2019)
Hi all,
When my wife and I worked as volunteers in the Pilgrims Office issuing Compostelas earlier this year, an iron clad rule we had to follow was that nobody could receive a certificate unless they had walked the last 100 km (or biked the last 200 km) of their route. The one exception was the Spiritual Variant, which includes a 30 km boat ride. But even there, you had to prove you got your 100 km of walking in by starting either from Vigo (on the Coastal Portuguese) or Porriño or Tui (on the Central).
The reason I bring this up is that a few days ago, I got an email from a well-known Camino tour company advertising the "Xacobean Nautical Crossing." They described this as a 6-day sailing trip covering 90 nautical miles from Vigo up the Arousa estuary. The thing that caught my attention was it included only a 6-km walk, from O' Milladoiro to Santiago. 6 as in s-i-x. The company adds: "The Xacobean Nautical Crossing is the latest addition to the list of official routes eligible for the Compostela pilgrim certificate."
Is this a major change in the 100 km rule or just a one-time exception? Or am I missing something here? Just curious. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is this a major change in the 100 km rule or just a one-time exception? Or am I missing something here?
I looked it up on the tour company’s website - it was easy to find - and while the description is as you quoted, it also says on the top of the page that the distance is 102 nautical miles and 6 km. This qualifies for a Compostela and it has been the case for a few years already.

I’m surprised that volunteers at the Pilgrims Office are not aware of it. The option to travel by sailboat is included on the first page of the credencial (“A Vela”) and as you can see on the Oficina’s statistics page, 10 pilgrims got a Compostela under this scheme in October 2019 and 108 pilgrims in August 2019. The conditions for obtaining a Compostela are also listed in the credencial: at least 100 nautical miles by sailing and the last few kilometres (“los últimos kilómetros”) on foot, for example the last 10 km, or from Monte do Gozo which is about 5 km. People usually start somewhere along the Northern coast of Spain but also from Bordeaux in France for example.

Last edited:
I looked it up on the tour company’s website - it was easy to find - and while the description is as you quoted, it also says on the top of the page that the distance is 102 nautical miles and 6 km. This qualifies for a Compostela and it has been the case for a few years already.

Great, that answers my question. Many thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.