• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Xero shoes

Arbey48

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Figeac (2017)
Figeac - StJPdP (2018)
Does anyone have any experience of using Xero Prio or Terraflex shoes on the Camino or similar long distance paths?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had never heard of these shoes, but since I am in shoe-review mode these days, I took a look at their website and found a few reviews. I thought this was a very helpful review, https://backpackinglight.com/xero-terraflex-review-posner/

Turns out these are described as minimalist, zero-drop shoes. I just wore a pair of zero-drop for about 1000 km, but they were Altras, referred to in the review as not eactly minimalist but in the same vein.

What sold me on the Altras after using them was the exceptional cushioning, which these shoes don't have. BUT they do have a 5,000 mile warranty on their soles. That's pretty amazing.

Based on only my one camino in Altras and several months beforehand obsessing about shoes, I think these Xero shoes would be good for people who are comfortable with little cushioning, and who don't need an orthotic. I know that all the zero-drop shoes are touting a return to the natural barefoot footstrike, but for people with mechanical deformities in the construction of the foot, orthotics are necessary. And Altras worked fine with my silicone orthotic (even though it must have thrown the zero-drop out of whack, no?). Not sure if Xeros would.

It sounds to me like these shoes are one step up in terms of construction from the five fingers. We had a few threads years ago with people who had walked in those, but nothing recent.

Arbey, have you used these shoes in other situations? Is there a specific reason they appeal to you?

Thanks for introducing us to another shoe option! Buen camino, Laurie

I have a pair of Xero shoes Ztrek but have not walked huge distances in them, up to 5 - 6km, and they are fine. I take them on camino for shower use, walking about town, and as emergency footwear. They are OK on relatively smooth paths but some of the more rocky descents might be difficult. You need to try them, if you have a pair, and get your feet and legs used to them but well worth a try.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Does anyone have any experience of using Xero Prio or Terraflex shoes on the Camino or similar long distance paths?
I have ordered a pair of Terraflex. Actually, it's a reorder because I needed a different size. I think that I'm going to really like them. The pair that I just returned were very comfortable, but just a bit too short. My foot is too long for the women's shoes, so I had to order a men's size. I was worried that they might be too wide for my narrow feet, but they have a rather innovative lacing system that allows you to snug down the heel and midfoot while leaving plenty of room for the toes. Not a lot of cushion, but there is room to add an insole if you want.
A woman on the Camigas Facebook group is on the Camino right now who is wearing the Prio and loving them.

Hi Trecile,
Thanks for your input. Your review based on your use of the footwear is precisely what I was seeking. You might also pass this on to Xero. One of their staff claimed that the shoes had been used on the Camino but when I pressed him for further information, it transpired that there was no review, merely a remembrance of a phone conversation where the caller said they had used then on the Camino.
I think it's very important that emergent companies coming into the lucrative footwear market take care about claims made about the shoes' fitness for purpose. I'm similarly suspicious of the 5000 mile warranty. This might have arisen from an accelerated wear test rather than direct use.
I changed my footwear last year after carrying out fairly extensive research. I took the claims of the manufacturer at face value and was sorely disappointed! I have now demoted these shoes so that I wear them when working in the garden!
So, I'll continue with my own due diligence, as before, but your input has given me further cause for exploring them further.

Hi Trecile,
Thanks for your input. Your review based on your use of the footwear is precisely what I was seeking. You might also pass this on to Xero. One of their staff claimed that the shoes had been used on the Camino but when I pressed him for further information, it transpired that there was no review, merely a remembrance of a phone conversation where the caller said they had used then on the Camino.
I think it's very important that emergent companies coming into the lucrative footwear market take care about claims made about the shoes' fitness for purpose. I'm similarly suspicious of the 5000 mile warranty. This might have arisen from an accelerated wear test rather than direct use.
I changed my footwear last year after carrying out fairly extensive research. I took the claims of the manufacturer at face value and was sorely disappointed! I have now demoted these shoes so that I wear them when working in the garden!
So, I'll continue with my own due diligence, as before, but your input has given me further cause for exploring them further.
Well, I've only worn them in the house so far. Still deciding if I have the right size. :)
I actually called to order them to ask about the sizing, and told the rep on the phone that I was planning to use them to walk the Camino. He said that the sole will wear faster when walking on pavement, which is what I expected. But even if the soles do last 5000 miles I don't think that the uppers would hold out that long.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I bought a pair and leave in 2 weeks for St Jean. I've been walking in them and really they are weirdly nice. Good grip, comfortable after a 4 hour training walk with weight. I'm worried about wetness and mud, but will try it in that environment this weekend.

I ended up sending my Xero Shoes to Santiago, and walking the majority of the Camino del Norte in my Merrell sandals, which were much more comfortable, and easier to clean when muddy. I had been thinking about walking in sandals anyway, and it was the best choice for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bought Xeros for my Camino in October, as the second pair to change after Altras.
Tried them on only on training walks. Flat, paved surface - fine, beach or rocky - not so good, especially if barefoot. Got blisters under the straps after about 20km, but probably socks could solve it. Planning to walk in them the last kms of the day walks and around in towns, also, possibly during the rain to keep the other pair dry. Not the main shoes anyway.

I wore them, but needed more ankle support. Perhaps I just needed more ankle strength. I did indeed get a few blisters, but I think if I had trained more in them it would have been better.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had never heard of these shoes, but since I am in shoe-review mode these days, I took a look at their website and found a few reviews. I thought this was a very helpful review, https://backpackinglight.com/xero-terraflex-review-posner/

Turns out these are described as minimalist, zero-drop shoes. I just wore a pair of zero-drop for about 1000 km, but they were Altras, referred to in the review as not eactly minimalist but in the same vein.

What sold me on the Altras after using them was the exceptional cushioning, which these shoes don't have. BUT they do have a 5,000 mile warranty on their soles. That's pretty amazing.

Based on only my one camino in Altras and several months beforehand obsessing about shoes, I think these Xero shoes would be good for people who are comfortable with little cushioning, and who don't need an orthotic. I know that all the zero-drop shoes are touting a return to the natural barefoot footstrike, but for people with mechanical deformities in the construction of the foot, orthotics are necessary. And Altras worked fine with my silicone orthotic (even though it must have thrown the zero-drop out of whack, no?). Not sure if Xeros would.

It sounds to me like these shoes are one step up in terms of construction from the five fingers. We had a few threads years ago with people who had walked in those, but nothing recent.

Arbey, have you used these shoes in other situations? Is there a specific reason they appeal to you?

Thanks for introducing us to another shoe option! Buen camino, Laurie
Hi, Sorry to be dippin’ in this conversation. It was heartening to hear that minimal zero drop shoes aren’t for everyone. I impulsively bought a pair of Xero shoes and so far they’ve really jacked up my right achilles tenden, which took a week to heal. Granted, I ran on pavement and have a very narrow foot. I’ve only ran in them twice, and now hope to return them.(Not sure if they’ll let me.) Just thought that might be useful to someone.

Hi, Sorry to be dippin’ in this conversation. It was heartening to hear that minimal zero drop shoes aren’t for everyone. I impulsively bought a pair of Xero shoes and so far they’ve really jacked up my right achilles tenden, which took a week to heal. Granted, I ran on pavement and have a very narrow foot. I’ve only ran in them twice, and now hope to return them.(Not sure if they’ll let me.) Just thought that might be useful to someone.
When going to a zero drop shoe from a standard shoe you should do it gradually, since a zero drop will stretch your achilles.

minimal zero drop shoes aren’t for everyone
I have a personal theory about another non-Achilles problem. I haven't found any support for this idea, but it seems logical. I really wanted to like a pair of low-drop shoes because they were super-comfortable with a wide toe box. I wore them walking briskly for 30 minutes in a mall, and the ball of my foot (base of the big toe) got sore. My theory is that if my heel starts out lower, the foot needs to rotate more degrees over the ball of the foot, grinding that big toe joint. I need my shoe to lift my heel partway into the rolling motion to get started.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.