• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Xtra Xtra: Cyborg turtle takes on the Del Norte April 2019

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Happy Sunday everyone. Finally made a decision to tackle Camino Del Norte in April next year. Any help will be most appreciated considering my knee issues. If you have read my camino summary you know the challenges I faced. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...le-with-post-camino-summary.57400/post-652560
I downloaded the Wise Pilgrim app bundle with off line maps. And will at some point order my passport and other things from Ivar. Wise pilgrim was helpful with the Frances and I like being able to determine my own stages based on my talkative knees. I will be trying to do shorter stages if possible especially because this is a more taxing route. Starting with less kms then build as I go based on how i feel daily. Trying to see some of the coastline alternatives but also wishing to see the higher routes as well.

CYBORG TURTLE aka my left knee with brace can be difficult and uncoorporative at times so this is where I hope the Norte’s alumni can help. The right leg is not at its’ best either. In general on the Frances I tried to stop early enough for overnight before the larger hills instead of doing them in the afternoon when my knee were at their weakest. The next morning after using my TENS unit all night ( I slept with it on) I felt strong and energized enough to tackle said hill. By the way I cannot take ibuprofen or other NSAIDs so I walked with only magnesium to aid with pain.

While walking It is sheer will power and my mantra “don’t stop, don’t stop” or “keep going, keep going” to the beat of my anti shock Leki trekking poles (with rubber tips) striking the ground. Then there is the music...dance when I felt pain. Accept pain ...and master it. It works for me so if you see a crazy jamaican girl smiling and dancing up or down a hill with a giant metal brace on the left knee...it’s me say hello and dance with me.

I was recently diagnosed with a major heel spur on my right foot and have been sidelined and forced to stay off my feet. But no bother it will get better. Training is at a stop or detour at the moment but planning has already begun.

I look forward to your inputs and thank you in advance

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Happy Sunday everyone. Finally made a decision to tackle Camino Del Norte in April next year. Any help will be most appreciated considering my knee issues. If you have read my camino summary you know the challenges I faced. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...le-with-post-camino-summary.57400/post-652560
I downloaded the Wise Pilgrim app bundle with off line maps. And will at some point order my passport and other things from Ivar. Wise pilgrim was helpful with the Frances and I like being able to determine my own stages based on my talkative knees. I will be trying to do shorter stages if possible especially because this is a more taxing route. Starting with less kms then build as I go based on how i feel daily. Trying to see some of the coastline alternatives but also wishing to see the higher routes as well.

CYBORG TURTLE aka my left knee with brace can be difficult and uncoorporative at times so this is where I hope the Norte’s alumni can help. The right leg is not at its’ best either. In general on the Frances I tried to stop early enough for overnight before the larger hills instead of doing them in the afternoon when my knee were at their weakest. The next morning after using my TENS unit all night ( I slept with it on) I felt strong and energized enough to tackle said hill. By the way I cannot take ibuprofen or other NSAIDs so I walked with only magnesium to aid with pain.

While walking It is sheer will power and my mantra “don’t stop, don’t stop” or “keep going, keep going” to the beat of my anti shock Leki trekking poles (with rubber tips) striking the ground. Then there is the music...dance when I felt pain. Accept pain ...and master it. It works for me so if you see a crazy jamaican girl smiling and dancing up or down a hill with a giant metal brace on the left knee...it’s me say hello and dance with me.

I was recently diagnosed with a major heel spur on my right foot and have been sidelined and forced to stay off my feet. But no bother it will get better. Training is at a stop or detour at the moment but planning has already begun.

I look forward to your inputs and thank you in advance
Oh, my...

I didn't walk Norte and I never will because I looked at the profiles and this Camino is the one with the most steep ups and downs, even three or four in one stage sometimes. Add its length to it and reportedly a lot of asphalt,... no, no... No way I would want to walk it even if the vistas are magnificent which they really are (I read blogs ;)).

But Buen Camino!

PS (I don't have to wear a brace but my ankles and knees are dodgy.)

Last edited:
Oh, my...

I didn't walk Norte and I never will. But I looked at the profiles and this Camino is the one with the most ups and downs, even three or four in one stage sometimes. Add its length to it and reportedly a lot of asphalt,... no, no... No way I would want to walk it even if the vistas are magnificent which they really are (I read blogs ;)).

But Buen Camino!

PS (I don't have to wear a brace but my ankles and knees are dodgy.)
Thanks ...I have been reading up on it.. I can not tell you I am not afraid but I like a challenge . I just need to plan it out properly . i have to dissect it first hahaha.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Connie and I will be leaving Irun on April 16th. After surveying the hill situation on gronze, I decided to spend the winter concentrating on training and minimizing the fretting. Maybe we'll see you out there. Maybe we will be the two corpses on the side of the trail that died from exhaustion somewhere between Deba and Markina.............

Buen Camino

Connie and I will be leaving Irun on April 16th. After surveying the hill situation on gronze, I decided to spend the winter concentrating on training and minimizing the fretting. Maybe we'll see you out there. Maybe we will be the two corpses on the side of the trail that died from exhaustion somewhere between Deba and Markina.............

Buen Camino
Hahahahh. this year I started on 1 April will probably be the same or with one or two days of that date in 2019. So you will be ahead of me. I will make sure I arrange a pick up if I spot you along the side of the road. ...I will make sure the buzzards dont get ya I’ve got you and Peg’s back . Or at least offer you some vino tinto to rehydrate you

I'm another April Fool :D Will start from Irun on 01 April 2019 - can we share the TENS???

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Absolutely hahah ...I’m starting last week of march . Tickets to BCN 20 March then make my way to Irun. you might catch me I will be walking pretty slow. Was considering walking from St jean to Irun ...not sure yet.
See my latest update https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-micro-tears-and-more-oh-my.59617/post-695235

I'm starting 12 days later so I'll probably just see your graffiti in the albergues and your prose-filled posts. By the way, my knees don't seem to have any cartilage left, so drugs plus end-of-day bags of ice were necessary in the past. Given that, I'm a real fan of walking sticks - which I didn't see in your two photos. They assist the quads when going up but more important is the reduction in impact when going down. I'll be walking with my TriniCanadian wife, Carol. She's impressed with your 40-lb knee brace and wonders if she should bring hers...no! I say. We're also researching the superfeet insoles you mentioned and I'm thinking I ought to get some more knee injections :D (Carol and I also have long military careers behind us.)

I'm starting 12 days later so I'll probably just see your graffiti in the albergues and your prose-filled posts. By the way, my knees don't seem to have any cartilage left, so drugs plus end-of-day bags of ice were necessary in the past. Given that, I'm a real fan of walking sticks - which I didn't see in your two photos. They assist the quads when going up but more important is the reduction in impact when going down. I'll be walking with my TriniCanadian wife, Carol. She's impressed with your 40-lb knee brace and wonders if she should bring hers...no! I say. We're also researching the superfeet insoles you mentioned and I'm thinking I ought to get some more knee injections :D (Carol and I also have long military careers behind us.)
Well I will be having. A few days to ward of the jet lag before my actual start. So my actual start day will probably be closer to 25 or 27 March. I am Jamaican so we are in good company hahaha. I use 2 Leki wunderfeund anti shock poles for those of us who are physically challenged ...i can rest on the handles without removing my pack and can take it on the airplane as it is a walking aid (cane)...it lowers down in size and can be used as a cane after walking for the day around town. For the airplane I bring a note from my doctor...just in case. https://www.leki.com/us/trekking/poles/2661/wanderfreund-antishock-dss/?c=708. Expensive but worth every penny. The TENS take the place of the ice....I slept with it. I did fall once and required the ice...but recommend the small tens life saver on the camino (3 knee surgeries/2 shoulder surgeries). Couple days I had to stop and rest , couple times I had to send my pack ahead. If you read my post summary from last year if describes most of what I did. The Super feet are recommended by the podiatrist but I had them before I had the bone spur so they are an excellent option...different kinds so look for the ones that work for your feet

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back