• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Xunta albergue in Santiago query

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
hmmmm, I don't know if this has been discussed at all in here.

Last time I was in Santiago, 8 years ago, there was some talk that the Xunta was planning on building a new refugio, in Santiago itself.

Has anyone else heard this rumour ?

Is there any news about it ?

(my understanding at the time was that there were some practical/political difficulties involved)

Does anyone know anything about this ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello and greetings to all peregrinos,

Welcome to this forum.

I don't know whether we are talking about the same albergue in santiago de compostela. I have the privilege and am currently working as a hospitalero in the latest addition to the albergue in santiago. The previous name of the albergue was albergue jaime garcia rodriguez in honour of the founder of the pilgrim office. This albergue has been renamed albergue de pregrinos del final del camino (albergue fin del camino). This albergue is located on the route into santiago from the camino frances and is actually in santiago. As you come into santiago, you will pass the san lazaro church on your left. At the traffic light, turn left into rua de roma, pass the police station and the albergue is next to the police station. The albergue is right at the corner of rua de roma and rua moscova. It is a less than 5 minutes walk from the traffic light.

We are a 20 minutes walk to the cathedral following the waymarking into the pilgrim office or 5 minutes by bus. We are open from 11:30 am on and is staffed by hospitalero until closing time at midnight. You may also dropped your rucksacks here on your way into santiago and come back to register later on. There are bus services to the town centre and to the train station. The airport bus is again a less than 5 minutes walk to the bus stop.

The number 11 bus goes from the town centre to the last stop at the corner from the albergue at around 5 minutes. The number c6 bus goes to the train station in approximately 10-15 minutes. The airport bus to the town centre with bus stop at san lazaro or fontinas (rua roma) is a less than 5 minutes walk down rua roma to the albergue next to the police station.

The telephone number is 981 587 324. Email address is http://www.fundacionperegrinacionasantiago.com. The location is in the parochial of fontinas. The location is also convenience from the bus station, a 10 minutes walk.

This albergue is owned and operated by the fundacion jacobeo with 110 beds available with another reserved 50 beds. It was officially opened in 2011. The dormitory are divided into 8 rooms with 10 bunk beds in each room for a total of 20 berths each. Also available are lockers in each room. We have multiple bathrooms, a lounge area, a dining area, a kitchen with utensils and multiple microwaves, no cookers, multiple washers and dryers, and a big enclosed garden with picnic table and bicycle racks. We also have multiple computers and free wifi for the peregrinos to use. We accept reservation and peregrinos may stayed for multiple nights. Closeby is a physiotherapist practice that offers discount to peregrinos with credential. Current fee is €11 euro for treatments like foot massage, shoulder massage, knee massage.

Closeby are bakeries, cafe-bars, restaurants, chemist. 5 minutes down the road is big shopping mall covering a whole block with a big supermarket on the basement. Deli, bakery, prepared food shop, restaurants, cafe-bars, other shops, telephone, cashpoints (atm), banks.

Opening hours are 11:30 am to midnight. Peregrinos have to leave the premise by 9:00 in order for the cleaners to clean the premise.

If you need anymore information do not hesitate to contact us.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
natefaith said:
I'm pretty sure this is what you're thinking about: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/res ... san-lazaro

If you're walking into Santiago from Monte de Gozo, you'll see this albergue right as you enter into town, on the right side of the street next to the Museo Pedagóxico de Galicia.

Thank you for the information, but no -- the plans I heard rumours about were for a Xunta albergue with several hundred places.

Interesting! Definitely haven't heard of something like that opening yet. I'm not even sure where they would put it! :)

The one I posted about is run by the Xunta and is relatively new(er), and the one Pio just posted about is run by the foundation that also runs the Pilgrim's Office (I think that relationship is accurate; Pio, if that's wrong, please let me know). Both are nice hostels, and both have good prices.

If we hear anything about a hostel with several hundred beds, we'll be sure to post again and let you know.

A couple of years ago there was some talk of renovating an old and now empty hospital on the west side of Santiago not far from the Rua das Hortas which takes you on the Camino to Fisterra/Muxia. It would have been a massive project and I doubt that the funds are now available.
Don´t know if that´s the one you mean?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Could be, Priscillian -- as I've hinted at, I'm very hazy on any actual details, and am looking for info

Direction to albergue de pregrinos del final del camino (albergue fin del camino) from praza do obradoiro. Facing the cathedral, on your left there is a stairway, walk through the stairway to praza inmaculada. Go straight through rua de acibecheria to praza cervantes. Turn left to rua das animas straight to rua casas reais.

Cross the street and walk up rua de san pedro ( the same route you take coming into town from the camino frances). Follow rua de san pedro (rua de san pedro becomes rua dos concheiros).

At the roundabout, turn right and cross the street to rua de berlin and walk straight through the shopping mall.

At the exit , turn left to rua de paris. Walk up 3 blocks and turn right on rua de moscova. The albergue is right at the corner of rua de moscova and rua de roma

.the number 11 bus from the town centre (a 5 minutes drive) will take you to our albergue at the bus stop of rua de paris and rua moscova. bus fare is 1 eur.

Do give us a call if you are unable to find us, telephone number is: 981 587 324.

we are still having problems of peregrinos coming into santiago from the camino frances having trouble finding oue albergue. and also having the peregrinos unaware that we are a large jacobeo foundation's albergue with 110 beds and a reserve of 50 beds available for the use of the peregrinos.

therefore i would like to provide further direction in how to arrive at our albergue.

from the camino frances:
as you enter santiago from the east, you will cross the san lazaro bridge. as you approach the san lazaro church on your left (rua san lazaro), turn left at the traffic light into rua de roma and walk downhill towards the police station (3 minutes). we are right next to the police station at the corner of rua de roma and rua moscova. our location is in the parochial of san antonio de fontinas.

from the airport:
get off the airport bus at san lazaro bus stop (should be right across from the san lazaro church) before the bus station. cross the street and walk down rua de roma to rua moscova.

from the bus station:
walk southward on avenue de rodriguez de viguri to the roundabout (rotunda), turn left at rua de berlin. walk through the area central (shopping mall). turn left upon exiting to rua de paris. walk up 3 blocks to rua moscova and the albergue is on your left at the corner with rua de roma.

hope you will be able to find us.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello jochen and valerie,

Mea culpa. Thank you very much to pointing out my mistake. My apologies to everyone. You can also access any information under the original name of albergue jaime garcia rodriguez.

Thanks once again. God bless.

Jochen-Schmidtke said:
piogaw said:
Email address is http://www.fundacionperegrinacinasantiago.com. The location is in the parochial of fontinas. The location is also convenience from the bus station, a 10 minutes walk.
Hello Piogaw.
The link
http://www.fundacionperegrinacinasantiago.com
is invalid! :(
Can you please publish the home page of the albergue here?
Buen Camino
Jochen

There was an 'o' missing.
http://www.fundacionperegrinacionasantiago.com
It is corrected in the original post :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.