• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Xunta albergues - increase in price to 8 euro

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, fair enough. Agree with @Davey Boyd if they would let hospitaleros put some cutlery, pots and pans in their kitchens even more so.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Fair enough. I was wondering when that might happen.

Maybe they might now buy some pots and pans etc! (only joking. A bit). ;)

Davey
I have always heard that the Xunta's do not provide pots, pans and utensils to force pilgrims to purchase meals from the bars and restaurants in the area in order to generate more income to the region...not sure if true though.

I have always heard that the Xunta's do not provide pots, pans and utensils to force pilgrims to purchase meals from the bars and restaurants in the area in order to generate more income to the region...not sure if true though.
That AND people steal stuff and leave a mess for staff to clean up.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry ... I guess the price hike is overdue. It's still a bargain. But I wonder if this move will encourage private albergues to charge more too.

The price-range in July was 8-14€ per night in private albergues I have used. If you include the Unamuno in Leon to the private albergues. If it is 10-15€ the most pilgrims won't argue about the price.

I believe you are correct, and that is the reason. The architect designed the albergues with full kitchen. But to render them less useable, management opted to avoid equipping them.

Everyone wins, almost. The pilgrim gets a clean, safe room for a reasonable price. The local community benefits from the spillover expenditures.

Diehard pilgrims on a budget COULD bring a backpacking-sized cooking pot and backpacking utensils and make a one-pot meal.

Just sayin...

I believe you are correct, and that is the reason. The architect designed the albergues with full kitchen. But to render them less useable, management opted to avoid equipping them.

Everyone wins, almost. The pilgrim gets a clean, safe room for a reasonable price. The local community benefits from the spillover expenditures.

Diehard pilgrims on a budget COULD bring a backpacking-sized cooking pot and backpacking utensils and make a one-pot meal.

Just sayin...
Those Xunta kitchens are primo. Its kinda like "all dressed up, but no where to go".😅

@Robo brings a rice cooker for his wife...maybe he'd share. I'm gonna walk right behind him! 😉

€83,-
I've been wondering about this lack of utensils in beautifully built kitchens. In some of the Albergues that do provide cooking utensils, I could see that there were fewer pots and pans and in poor condition: When you consider the volume of pilgrim-traffic through the average Albergue, any utensils provided take a daily hammering! They don't last long, are sometimes left unwashed, and it costs to replace poor/broken/lost utensils, hot water and electricity to provide the facility, as well as work to keep a kitchen - used seven days a week, in order. I don't think its only due to local cafes, restuarants etc wanting the trade. I've seen a lack of blankets this year too, where they may normally have been provided, and the overnighting cost of M.Albergues is increasing to 8€. Kitchens and equiping/maintaining them are expensive. Working kitchens could increase the fee still further.
Buen Camino. Keith
PS More often than not there will be a microwave in the Albergue - check-out a microwave cook book before you set off. I cook potatos in them, taking two at a time with me. Its worth it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some people, not all mind you, but some people will help themselves to anything not nailed or bolted down... I believe, IMHO this explanation for the lack of cookware might be most accurate.

As an aside several years ago, we even had this problem in the voluntario flats in Santiago, among some volunteers. Of course, once identified, these folks are never invited back.

I am willing to venture a guess that, when the xunta first opened these albergues with kitchens, stuff went walkabout fast. There was also likely a complaint form the local community about lost business.

My assessment is that, to cut costs for replacing cookware, they removed all the items left, and used the local economy rationale to justify it. I would if I were in charge...

I defer to someone with more historical knowledge of this development.

But, in the end, it does not matter. If you stay at a xunta albergue, you can expect a clean, safe albergue, albeit without cookware or tableware. Plan ahead, or dine on the local economy.

Hope this helps.

Diehard pilgrims preferring to cook simply shift to private albergues in Galicia. Yes, it's a few more €, but that's the price for a kitchen there.

Installing the kitchen will increase the value if the property is ever sold.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm sorry I mentioned pot and pans in my first post!

I have been in at least four village bars/restaurants where I was told by the staff that the hospitalera of the Xunta albergue in the same village was the wife/daughter/niece of the bar owner. Non of them had an equipped kitchen. This sounds normal.

And I don't think it is because pilgrims steal pots and pans!

I don't really mind, I just find it interesting.

Davey

I don't think it's because pilgrims steal pots and pans. I think it'd because they are hard on them and they don't last.

I don't think it's because pilgrims steal pots and pans. I think it'd because they are hard on them and they don't last.

I'm sure both will be the fact. If you will place good kitchen utensils that lasts, they will "develop legs" and are gone. If you place standard utensils I'm sure that they don't last more than a season.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, but the fact that none of the Xunta's I've stayed in ever had any cooking supplies makes me assume they probably never provided them in the first place.

Yes, but the fact that none of the Xunta's I've stayed in ever had any cooking supplies makes me assume they probably never provided them in the first place.

But some Xuntas do provide cooking stuff. Off the top of my head you can cook in Gonzar, Ribadiso de Baixo, Santa Irene, Negreira, Olveiroa, Dumbria. So no cooking utensils is not a policy but a choice.

I do think it is so pilgrims have to eat in 'daddies' restaurant down the road. Though I agree cleaning up after pilgrims may be a factor too.

I don't think theft is the main issue. Who is going to steal a frying pan and carry it with them? I can't even see regular cutlery walking often. Smaller sharp knifes and the wine corkscrew excepted!

Davey

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last time I was thru the dystopian Monte do Gozo, the kitchen was well equipped and previous pilgrims had cleaned their mess. I dined on my long carried emergency ramen.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last time I was thru the dystopian Monte do Gozo, the kitchen was well equipped and previous pilgrims had cleaned their mess. I dined on my long carried emergency ramen.
Every time I go through Monte do Gozo in May it looks like it's been deserted and closed up for years. Old leaves tumbling around collecting in corners and not a soul to be seen...kinda strange actually, not inviting at all.

Every time I go through Monte do Gozo in May it looks like it's been deserted and closed up for years. Old leaves tumbling around collecting in corners and not a soul to be seen...kinda strange actually, not inviting at all.

They usually only open one block, and that is at the top end, nearer to the monument. The rest is deserted. I have always enjoyed staying there. You can cook there, there is also a very good restaurant not far away. Don't go into the bar just down the hill though. It is the worst I have ever been in in Spain.

They usually only open one block, and that is at the top end, nearer to the monument. The rest is deserted. I have always enjoyed staying there. You can cook there, there is also a very good restaurant not far away. Don't go into the bar just down the hill though. It is the worst I have ever been in in Spain.
I'll remember that this coming May...and "may" give it a try! I trust your judgement, Davey, and will make sure I avoid the bad bar just down the hill...I may gave stopped in there last year.🤔

They usually only open one block, and that is at the top end, nearer to the monument. The rest is deserted.
I think that may be out-of-date. A private company has been awarded the management contract and is redeveloping the site. One of their first moves has been a new shiny website. Would be interesting to know if the reality on the ground matches it. https://www.benvidomontedogozo.com/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that may be out-of-date. A private company has been awarded the management contract and is redeveloping the site. One of their first moves has been a new shiny website. Would be interesting to know if the reality on the ground matches it. https://www.benvidomontedogozo.com/

Oh my. Looks like I won't be stopping there again. I wonder what 'the spectacular playground' is or will be!

I’m devastated. €2, that’s a couple of canas, or even a glass of half-tolerable Rioja. I guess I’m done with Camino. If the Junta don’t want the traditional impoverished pilgrim like me in their luxury accommodations I guess I’ll just have to settle for Vegas.
Tinky, I'm pretty sure you are just bein' facitious!
I agree...what's 2 euro in the scheme of things for all the joy we get...it's nuthin' really!

€60,-
I’m devastated. €2, that’s a couple of canas, or even a glass of half-tolerable Rioja. I guess I’m done with Camino. If the Junta don’t want the traditional impoverished pilgrim like me in their luxury accommodations I guess I’ll just have to settle for Vegas.

Thats 2 litres of 1 Euro supermacado boxed wine less every day! And with Brexit that could equal 3 litres! If this carries on I will be reduced to drinking water when walking o_O

bein' facitious!
Faci- wotsit? Me? Since my drinking arm fell off I haven't even got an humerus.

I also just realised that 5 days in Galicia at €2 a day is €10 wot is enough for a Menu so obviously from now on I am going to starve as well as die of thirst.

And with a slightly less faci-wotsit tone I would like to think that the income from the increased levy will be used to further improve facilities and amenities but I think it'll more likely just off-set some cost. Whether that's the costs of the new-ish facilitator or the interst on the EC loans that were used to create the network in the first place is beyond my ken.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Faci- wotsit? Me? Since my drinking arm fell off I haven't even got an humerus.

I also just realised that 5 days in Galicia at €2 a day is €10 wot is enough for a Menu so obviously from now on I am going to starve as well as die of thirst.

And with a slightly less faci-wotsit tone I would like to think that the income from the increased levy will be used to further improve facilities and amenities but I think it'll more likely just off-set some cost. Whether that's the costs of the new-ish facilitator or the interst on the EC loans that were used to create the network in the first place is beyond my ken.
You is definately speaking in riddles for this girl! 😲

But some Xuntas do provide cooking stuff. Off the top of my head you can cook in Gonzar, Ribadiso de Baixo, Santa Irene, Negreira, Olveiroa, Dumbria. So no cooking utensils is not a policy but a choice.

I do think it is so pilgrims have to eat in 'daddies' restaurant down the road. Though I agree cleaning up after pilgrims may be a factor too.

I don't think theft is the main issue. Who is going to steal a frying pan and carry it with them? I can't even see regular cutlery walking often. Smaller sharp knifes and the wine corkscrew excepted!

Davey
Hi, Davey,

Could you send me a PM, please? Thanks ;)

The price per night goes up in Galicia, and those in Castile & Leon, etc will surely follow.

Tink will be forced to skip a few menus de peregringo to compensate for the extra €60 - €80.

That AND people steal stuff and leave a mess for staff to clean up.
I can believe pilgrims leaving a mess for staff to clean up. Pilgrims stealing pots and pans and carrying them km after km, day after day, is something that strikes me as somewhat unlikely.

On the one hand, theft of cooking equipment from albergue kitchens doesn't seem to be such a problem in the rest of the Camino(s) to prevent stocked kitchens. On the other hand, people are cutting their toothbrushes in half and snipping off their clothing labels to save weight. I really don't think they are going to be lugging stolen pots on the Camino to save a few euros.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been informed that it is to force pilgrims out to eat in the local restaurants but that doesn’t make sense as it takes trade away from local supermarkets. It is only happening in Galicia. Young pilgrims, who are students on tight budgets will stop coming

Davey
On the Ingles Neda and Miño had utensils, dishes and cutlery as well. Presedo had a few thing s that looked like they were provided by the hospitalera. By they're all run by the council, not by the xunta.

"to force pilgrims out to eat in the local restaurants"

:eek: Its also intended to keep naughty pagans out of the nice Albergues so that we are forced to spend all evening in the bar before passing out in a ditch.

Other scenarios include: more restaurateurs than shopkeepers are members of the Galician mafia; the appointed Hospi sold all the kitchen equipment to supplement their stipend; the local Hunters stole the pots to melt down & make into bullets to shoot the wild boar with; the Junta forgot to include equipment in the original build spec and no-one can be bothered to apply for a further grant....

The absence of kitchen equipment has not, apparently, deterred the young and skint from making Camino over the last decade or so and I personally doubt that an extra €2 per night will either. What might is the prospect of all the €8 beds being filled by those who could easily afford €80 but fancy a bit of rough.

I can fully appreciate that a 25% increase in air-fares might have an impact on numbers. The end of Schengen and the re-introduction of visa fees might have an impact. The strict imposition of "in pietatis causa" to those seeking a Compostela might have an impact: but €2, €10 all the way from Sarria? Most spend that on Cafe con Leche and Churros before they've even tightened their boots. Face it. Most spend that on their data-plan FBing their mates before they've even rolled out of their bunk.

Aach. Grumpy Tinker tonight

I'm sorry I mentioned pot and pans in my first post!

I have been in at least four village bars/restaurants where I was told by the staff that the hospitalera of the Xunta albergue in the same village was the wife/daughter/niece of the bar owner. Non of them had an equipped kitchen. This sounds normal.

And I don't think it is because pilgrims steal pots and pans!

I don't really mind, I just find it interesting.

Davey
It's hard enough to carry the rucksack at times, without filling it up with the pots and pans!!!

Mind you, I have seen a few pilgrims walking with everything but the kitchen sink hanging off of their rucksack!

€83,-
I think Tink hit the nail with the hammer, with the failure to include the kitchen goods in the original specs.

The absence of kitchen equipment has not, apparently, deterred the young and skint from making Camino over the last decade or so and I personally doubt that an extra €2 per night will either. What might is the prospect of all the €8 beds being filled by those who could easily afford €80 but fancy a bit of rough.
So the suggestion someone made last year that the Camino should be rerouted away from O Cebreiro in protest at the indignity of having no frying pans in the albergues provided by the province of Xunta didn't succeed then? ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back