A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Xunta de Galicia WiFi system problem

Camino(s) past & future
Via De La Plata
Have an American phone, Google pixel. I cannot connect to the xunta wi-fi system in the albergues.
when I initiate the connection, I get a page that asks me to put in the phone number and a robot code. I do this successfully. I am supposed to get an SMS message with the code to access the Wi-Fi. But I never get the SMS message. I have tried the phone number with the plus sign, just the one, and with zero one. Never successful. Therefore I cannot use the Wi-Fi in the albergues. One person told me he has a Spanish SIM card and he was able to do it.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2, El Norte incompleto
Have an American phone, Google pixel. I cannot connect to the xunta wi-fi system in the albergues.
when I initiate the connection, I get a page that asks me to put in the phone number and a robot code. I do this successfully. I am supposed to get an SMS message with the code to access the Wi-Fi. But I never get the SMS message. I have tried the phone number with the plus sign, just the one, and with zero one. Never successful. Therefore I cannot use the Wi-Fi in the albergues. One person told me he has a Spanish SIM card and he was able to do it.
I believe that you need a Spanish phone number for that type of wifi system.

Camino(s) past & future
I intend to leave the UK the day Before Brexit and walkMarch -April 2019 Camino Frances
Try asking the person with the Spanish SIM card to ask for another SMS code, there is usually an option for " did not receive code" ,enter that SMS into your phone and it might work.

Camino(s) past & future
2015, St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos
2016, Burgos to Ponferrada
2017, Ponferrada to Atlantic Ocean
Enter phone number as 011+Area code+phone number, i.e. 0115551234.

I think this is how you would dial US from a European phone.

-Paul

Camino(s) past & future
2015, St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos
2016, Burgos to Ponferrada
2017, Ponferrada to Atlantic Ocean
If 011 prefix doesn't work, try 001. It's been at least 10 years since I used a pay phone in Europe.

-Paul

Camino(s) past & future
2018 CF Jan-Feb, Roncesvalles - SdC - Muxia - Fisterra
I found in early February that the code given worked for multiple devices. Likely against the rules. As there were only a handful of us and several folk were having issues it seemed to be the easiest solution. I was surprised to find that all the Xuntas seemed to be on the same network as I never needed another code in Galicia.

As mentioned by pjacobi it was some sequence involving country code and international dialing...good luck.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
If 011 prefix doesn't work, try 001...
-Paul
I don't know if applies in this case, but the usual convention on a mobile device is to omit the leading zeros and dial the "+" (plus sign) plus the actual digits of the country code; i.e. "+1" for the USA or "+34" for Spain, followed by the area/regional code then the individual phone number.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
I don't know if applies in this case, but the usual convention on a mobile device is to omit the leading zeros and dial the "+" (plus sign) plus the actual digits of the country code; i.e. "+1" for the USA or "+34" for Spain, followed by the area/regional code then the individual phone number.
That's true.
Also if your mobile phone number when at home has "0" like over here 041-123-456 when in foreign country then you don't put that zero in. It should be (with Spanish country code) +34-41-123-456. maybe that's part of a problem with this Xunta wi-fi. I did connect to their wi-fi system in 2016 but it was with Spanish SIM and very easy procedure.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
CF-Finisterra-Muxia 2017; SK Camino Kosiče-Levoča Oct 2017; El Norte March 2018; Ingles Nov 2018
It worked for m in March this year on the Norte and I use a phone with a SIM card from Slovakia.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
KinkyOne Mobile phones and tablets 6
sillydoll Mobile phones and tablets 0

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%