• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Xunta regulation about cloth sheets

peregrina2000

Staff member
I know that I read on this forum that the Xunta, probably at the behest of the hotel industry, has passed new regulations requiring albergues (except for municipal ones) to have cloth sheets and to give all pilgrims a clean towel. I just finished the Norte, and the cloth sheets I saw were in albergues that had opened within the last few months. And only in one did I get a towel.

I agree with those who think that changing cloth sheets every day (especially in Galicia with its limited number of sunny drying hours) and washing cloth towels is really not the best way to assure albergue hygiene, but I'm just wondering if these regulations are being ignored or if there is some sort of grandfather provision. Uneven enforcement is unfair to those who comply,IMO.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know when we were staying in the municipal albergue in Salamanca the hospitalera was putting clean cotton sheets on the bunks daily. She was having problems getting everything washed and dried in time - they needed additional sets but had no money to buy them.
No towel though.

I walked for 30 days during April / May 2017. Partly on Norte and some on Frances. Some albergues had cotton sheets and they did not appear to be clean or recently washed. Unfortunately I did not take note of which albergues. I never received a towel. Personally I think I prefer a plain mattress. I put down a sarong and then sleep in my sleeping bag or liner depending on the weather.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The only time I was given a towel, if you can call it that, was at Oceanus in Fiaterra. Ot was a piece of that paper they use as a mattress cover and pillowcase. I had to ask what it was.o_O

Bed sheets straight from the industrial laundry in La Sirena in San Sebastian. Many other fresh sheets on the Norte and Primitivo, but washed at home. On VDLP freshly washed sheets just about everywhere, except the muni in Merida. Often with comforter as well.

Time to start charging a bit more and have clean sheets everywhere. Less risk of bedbugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think cloth sheets and a towel for every pilgrim is asking a bit too much.
Seems to me, it should be the responsibility of the pilgrim to bring their own towel and if they are worried about the sheets, to bring their own.
But as the pilgrimage becomes more for tourists than for pilgrims, I guess things are changing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know that I read on this forum that the Xunta, probably at the behest of the hotel industry, has passed new regulations requiring albergues (except for municipal ones) to have cloth sheets and to give all pilgrims a clean towel. I just finished the Norte, and the cloth sheets I saw were in albergues that had opened within the last few months. And only in one did I get a towel.

This new rule must explain why the new Albergue Rossol in Padrón has lovely cotton sheets and big white fluffy towels. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I opened my locker and saw them, clean and ready to put on my bed myself. Complete with pod beds, curtains, own power socket and reading light. Only 14 euros but it was almost like staying in an hotel.

Gosh, yes, times they are a-changing.
Jill

I think cloth sheets and a towel for every pilgrim is asking a bit too much.[...]But as the pilgrimage becomes more for tourists than for pilgrims, I guess things are changing.
Agreed. It's a luxury which puts a heavy burden, physically and financially, on the albergue operators. Bye-bye "cheap" accommodation as a result.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think cloth sheets and a towel for every pilgrim is asking a bit too much.
While it is a nice perk not to have to unpack all your gear, I see this more as a hygene issue: keep the bed bug you are careying in your backpack instead of giving it a new mattress and albergue to infest.

What is considered clean/fresh: what ever ot takes to kill bed bugs.

Agreed. It's a luxury which puts a heavy burden, physically and financially, on the albergue operators. Bye-bye "cheap" accommodation as a result.
Yes, bye-bye ridiculously cheap accomodation. Nothing wrong with that. And really make sure donativos are for those in need, not those in search for a bargain so they can buy an extra 1€ bottle of tinto.

We can help with the financial strain, if possible we can go buy a cotton sheet and or towel and give it to the albergue.
But they need 10-12-15-20, plus the washer and drier, and electricty. But that's the idea. How much does it cost to de-bedbug an albergue? And do we pay for that?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I couldn’t believe my eyes when I opened my locker and saw them, clean and ready to put on my bed myself. ... Only 14 euros but it was almost like staying in an hotel.
Jill
Yup, contributong to bedbug transfer reduction. And willing to be a fairer price.

March 2014, slogging on to Fisterra/Muxia in mostly heavy rain and howling wind near the coast. Slopped into the albergue at Logroso. Beautiful ironed sheets and a new towel. "Mi casa es su casa". The place was spotless and the young daughter buzzed around constantly keeping it so. Treated me like family (mind you, I was the only one there). I was the first pilgrim for 12 days and the two of us were virtually the only pilgrims they had seen through the village all winter (although a busload of geriatrics, probably all younger than me, trudged through later, before being picked up and taken to some swank hotel).

Better. The mum was cooking a cake for the family and gave me a big slice.

Next day headed for Fisterre. Hail, rain, howling wind, the worst weather since St J P de P. Ended up at Albergue Cabo da Vila, run by two lovely ladies, a mum and her daughter. Sheets, towels there too, and a meal at night, and breakfast next morning, specially prepared for me as I was leaving early for Muxia.
A few staying there - they were obviously in the know, and seemed to have been there before.

Even better. I got a big hug and a kiss from the mum when I left the next morning!

De colores

Bogong

We had a cloth mattress and pillow cover at Albergue Boente. There was the choice between 2 communal rooms. One with cotton mattress and pillow cover (and a few less beds) and one with those cheap things that tear while I'm trying to put it on the mattress. We chose to pay the extra 2 euros for the room with the cotton mattress and pillow cover :) Shear luxury. I know :)
The only place we had towels were at the pensiones. And of course at the hotel Palacio de Meras and the hotel in Lugo.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
An interesting thread Laurie and one that is sure to be "very topical". From my limited experience I think I prefer a mattress covered in clean "vinyl" with a disposable "paper/cotton" sheet. As for the provision of a towel - I agree about the washing/drying etc and unless I have been walking in 2 or 3 days of rain I think I will stick to my own towel - I know its state.
The question of increased "accommodation" charges is always an issue. Some of the places I stayed in last May/June were (imho) definitely "under" charging and some were definitely over charging.
Question - this change in policy by the Galician Xunta - is it being driven by the "hotel/professional" accommodation industry?? Cheers

The Xunta decree which sets out the new standards which albergues are required to follow can be found here:
https://www.xunta.gal/dog/Publicados/2016/20160504/AnuncioG0244-250416-0001_es.html

There was a brief public outcry in the Galician press in December when groups representing private albergue owners complained about the burden which compliance placed on them. They pointed out that legislation primarily aimed at the conventional tourist industry did not sit well on establishments where almost by definition stays of only one night are the norm. The legislation requires hostels to change bedding every three or four days (depending on its classification). A major point of irritation for the private albergue owners is that while they are obliged to meet the new standards in full the Xunta's own albergues are specifically exempted from them and can continue to make use of disposable mattress covers.
https://vivecamino.com/controversia...s-de-tela-en-los-albergues-del-camino_no_348/
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...egrinos-albergues/00031482956942737835163.htm

And I think that would be a shame. Least we forget, there are pilgrims for whom the prices of albergues are NOT cheap. I was able in some countries to rent a whole house (beautifully furnished) and often garden for the equivalent of about 14 euros. Pilgrims from those countries walking the Camino do not find it cheap, far from it. It is a one-off, expensive - and in the case of the ones I met, religious - pilgrimage!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I expected that people would have different opinions about these new regulations, but what I'm finding very interesting is how widespread the total disregard of them seems to be! It's not surprising that the newly opened ones follow the rules, because they wouldn't have gotten their permission to open unless they could show compliance. So are all these albergues violating the rules or are exemptions given to existing places?

One albergue owner explained to me that in addition to the details that bradypus posted, the regulations require that top and bottom sheets be given, along with the towel, with no increase in prices. Apparently, what some albergues are doing is giving out the disposable sheets, and then charging a couple of euros more if you want cloth sheets and/or the towel. That is against the rules. The fine for violation, if reported, would be 3,000 euros apparently. I'm all in favor of less throw-away stuff, but the burden on an albergue to wash and dry all that stuff every day is substantial. And I'd rather have a paper sheet than a dirty cloth sheet.

Not only are municipal albergues exempted, but also the ones run by the church. The monastery at Sobrado has no sheets at all, so we all made sure to carry our paper disposables from the previous night.

I'm all in favor of less throw-away stuff, but the burden on an albergue to wash and dry all that stuff every day is substantial. And I'd rather have a paper sheet than a dirty cloth sheet.

I agree. I would go further - in principle I would favour a reversal of recent trends and a return to a network of far more simple and basic pilgrim shelters where there is a clear and unambiguous expectation that pilgrims would provide the basic necessities such as bed linen or sleeping bags themselves. Those who demand anything more sophisticated than a roof, a mattress, a toilet and a shower could then find alternatives with the many private providers. However that is unrealistic given the massive popularity of the Caminos and ever more demanding definitions of what constitutes a minimum acceptable standard. Legislation such as Decreto 48/2016 also makes this idea a non-starter. Like it or not the Camino is now big business and it is no surprise that it is being regulated as such.

... the regulations require that top and bottom sheets be given, along with the towel, with no increase in prices.
Not only are municipal albergues exempted, but also the ones run by the church
Why does the local gov get to meddle in the price private albergues charge? I can certainly understand why they would not be happy. It's not as if this is a very lucrative business. Set the hygene standards yes, but the price charged for a night? :confused:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why does the local gov get to meddle in the price private albergues charge? I can certainly understand why they would not be happy. It's not as if this is a very lucrative business. Set the hygene standards yes, but the price charged for a night? :confused:

I may not have been clear here. What was explained to me was that the albergue can charge whatever price it wants, but that price has to include top and bottom sheets and a towel. What is happening now is that some albergues following the rules have had to raise their price to 15 to cover costs. Others leave their price at 12 and add on for sheets and towel to 15. If they want to charge 12, that's fine, but the regulations say whatever they charge has to include these things (just like they can't add more for a shower, etc.).

Yes, bye-bye ridiculously cheap accomodation. Nothing wrong with that. And really make sure donativos are for those in need, not those in search for a bargain so they can buy an extra 1€ bottle of tinto.

I understand the logic here, but if donativos are used only by those in need, when will they ever get that unexpected 20 euro (or more) contribution from a grateful pilgrim lucky enough to have the cash to use?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, I read the articles, and the change of linens does not have to be done daily:"3 star albergues" need to change the nedding only every 3 days, and "1 & 2 star albergues" every 4 days.

Few questions:

1- how does one know if an albergue is 1,2 or 3 stars? I would not have thought they were ranked with stars like pensiones. I wonder which ones fall into each category.

2 - so now that we want each bed to have two sheets, a pillow case and a blanket of somesort, but do not wash these items more than twoce a week, where is the adavantage? Hygene? Bed bug control? Don't think so.

3 - if many albergues are already offering fully made, and washed daily, beds, for the typical 8-12€ (On the Norte, Primitivo, VDLP this is often how things are), why are those already charging 12€ needing to increase to 15€? Especially if they will only change the beding every 3 or 4 days?

Hmmm...

The newly opened albergues are not pilgrim-specific, and they get a category rating as an AT (albergue turistico). They also have a little square sign like the ones for hoteles, hostales, etc, and it indicates the category.

About the sheet changing -- the albergue owners I spoke with about this interpret the regulation as requiring changing sheets every three days OR upon departure of the guest, whichever comes first. That is the requirement in Portugal, for instance. When I stay at the Marriott in Lisbon for two weeks, I get a little note saying that they will only change my sheets every three days unless I ask them to do it more frequently. But they would never leave the sheets on for three days to accommodate three different one night stays, at least I hope not!

And as far as prices go, my experience on the Norte is that the new albergues with clean cloth sheets are charging 12 or 15 euros (for some reason, I never saw any charging 13 or 14. nor did any of them charge less than 12). The older Norte private albergues were 10-12, but usually 12. I don't remember any private albergue, no matter what kind of sheets, charging less than 10.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would much rather money be spent on those all enclosing vinyl bed-bug proof mattresses covers.
Amen!
BTW heaps more of those vinyl mattress and pillow covers this year. Municipals and Xuntas far better bet of having them than private and parochial albergues. I hasten to add this is a generalisation. There were plenty of private and some parochials that also had the vinyl covers.

Spain, being...well Spain...my initial reaction was that someone's relative owns the company still making cotton sheets in Spain, or perhaps the distributorship in the Galicia region. That sometimes accounts from some of these "out of the blue" rules.

But, this rule has a sound basis. Clearly, if proprietors and managers are following the rules, pilgrims need not concern themselves about chinches. Also, the overall value and opinion of the albergue system is enhanced.

Personally, I would prefer recycled, disposable, recyclable, paper fabric sheets (both top and bottom) and pillow covers. I have experienced these a couple of times and found that I preferred the KNOWN new, out of the wrapper, condition to even the appearance of fresh laundry.

If they are recycled after the pilgrim moves along (typically after one night, but sometimes two), the beds are kept clean. In one place, the new folded paper linens were left atop the bunk for the pilgrim to apply. Personally, I would be willing to pay an extra couple of Euro each night to receive this service.

While laundering and reusing cotton sheets might sound more economical and environmentally sound, it is not. You need to factor in the cost of the water detergent, labor and time. Also, as a lot of rain falls in Galicia, you need to factor in the cost of electricity to operate a secadora (dryer) as cotton sheets may not dry in time.

So, the labor and energy costs far outweigh the cost of the single use and recyclable paper sheets, at least IMHO.

I hope this helps.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
When did anyone in an albergue wake up with the paper mattress liner still in place?

Good old industrial laundry service. Send the sheets out to be washed, received fresh ones once or twice a week. A new Camino business created. Maleteros could add transporting those back and forth to their list of services.

It's what La Sirena in San Sebastian does. No added work for the hospies.

The regulations are for Galicia. The original noble intent was to bring airbnb-type places into some sort of compliance, and morphed into putting quite a burden on albergues. Since the Xunta exempted its own albergues, where the disposable linens are part of the regulation that the Xunta felt to be adequate, other owners are quite opposed to the rules. Expect them to be changed!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I hate those paper fitted mattress covers. They rarely fit properly. They either tear when I’m trying to put it on the mattress, or it’s all crumpled up underneath me in the morning. Each time I pull one out of the plastic wrapper I feel guilty that I am contributing yet more plastic pollution to the environment.

And I have often seen beds in the morning, that have been slept on, and the paper bed sheets, still neat and tidy in the unopened wrapper, left on the bed. Many pilgrims don’t bother to use them. Quite honestly, I don’t blame them.

I don’t like a rule though that albergues must provide clean sheets and towels every day. That puts a really heavy burden on their costs.

The best scenario for me is, was, and always has been, the old rule in UK Youth Hostels: you provide your own sheet liner (or hire one from them), and they provide a clean blanket or duvet. All they need to add are the vinyl mattress covers, which I love, as I feel so bed-bug free safe on them.
Jill

I hate those paper fitted mattress covers.
When Galician Xunta albergues started issuing them a few years back, they were donativo. To generate revenue, a 5E charge was instituted and the disposable sheet used to justify the charge! They began in hypocrisy and have given birth to an equally hypocritical policy on linen sheets and towels. I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you.

The best scenario for me is, was, and always has been, the old rule in UK Youth Hostels: you provide your own sheet liner (or hire one from them), and they provide a clean blanket or duvet.
Jill
I fail to see how "hiring" a bed sheet and having the albergue add the clean blanket or duvet is any different than making albergues provide sheets?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I fail to see how "hiring" a bed sheet and having the albergue add the clean blanket or duvet is any different than making albergues provide sheets?

Most people brought their own liner, so the establishment had to provide only a few for those who didn’t have one. (I’m talking about how the old UK Youth Hostels operated – very successfully too.)

Most people brought their own liner, so the establishment had to provide only a few for those who didn’t have one. (I’m talking about how the old UK Youth Hostels operated – very successfully too.)
I see, hiring was not to "go-to" way of doing things. I for one would bring a bedsheet if I could find one made of ultralight material, and plop it on top of what is alredy there. And spray it with Permethryn. Actually, I have been knownto take a piece of tule sprayed with permethryn to cover the mattress.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back