• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yáll didn´t tell me

johnnyman

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2011 and 2013
OK, I´m three days into my first-ever Camino, and I have a little bone to pick with you veterans. Although I got wonderful advice, tips, helpful hints, etc., from people on t his forum, nobody told me how incredibly difficult the Camino actually can be. It is nothing like walking alongside the highway in Texas, where I live. In Texas, it is flat! The terrain here is absolutely brutal, and I have given up hope of walking the entire distance from Pamplona to Santiago. I simply won´t have enough days before my flight back home. So I will have to add some bus riding to my itinerary. Nevertheless, I will not consider it to be a failure, by any stretch of the imagination. One of the reasons for my coming here was to conquer fear(s). And I was certainly confronted by those fears, shortly after I arrived. I wanted very much to turn around and go home. So, for me, to simply stick it out and make it to the end -- on foot and some by bus -- is a resounding success for me ...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There are lots of threads in the Forum on the difficulty, but it is not surprising that you are surprised! It is not downhill after the first few days. Walking 10+ miles per day, day after day, is not the same as a weekend hike, and you weight 10 kg more than you do at home (at least until you lose 10 kg). The Camino is not easy (from an earlier thread you initiated).
Many a camino has been dashed on the rocks of expectations. You may be headed straight for the reef. It is not easy walking even 12 miles per day, day after day. Fifteen to seventeen? That is a pretty high bar for defining success. I have three French walks and five Spain walks, and won't even lace on my boots to try a 30 km day. I just look for the halfway mark, or start looking for a taxi.

As Annie says, start slowly and let your endurance build. Do not be reluctant to take a rest day. It will have amazing restorative powers. Do not let a planned schedule get in the way of what you actually do. If you fall behind a time schedule for a returning flight, take buses, trains, and taxis.

There are no objective standards for a successful Camino, not even getting the Compostela. Don't let artificial standards become obstacles to a successful Camino. You really do get to lower your standard any time you want, though you might need to have walked the Camino to understand that. If you set the standard low enough, you cannot fail. I am sorry if that is too anti-competitive, but I am pretty certain it is true!
You may find that it gets tougher for as much as the first two weeks. Your electrolytes are probably low, and blood sugar altered. Your joints and muscles are tired and inflamed. All these will get worse for a week or two. Then conditioning will kick in, and it will become easier!

Take a complete day off pretty soon. You will be amazed how fast you recuperate with total rest.

Take an NSAID like ibuprofen for the inflammation. Stretch and massage for the sore muscles. Make sure you do not overstress the joints.

For two weeks you will need mental toughness to keep going. After that, I think your attitude will improve. As many will testify, it is worth it.

No, it is not a cake walk. But you can do it!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Johnny,

Keep going!!!

Falcon, you explained it perfectly. I experienced exactly the same on my camino.

Yeah it is hard. That´s why it is SO worthwhile to suck it up and keep going til it gets easier.
And it does. Only if you keep going.
Unless you are facing a significant crippling injury or illness, DO NOT GIVE UP.
Don´t look at your schedule. Don´t worry about how many days you have, or how long you have to go this day or that to make it to Santiago. Today, just walk this day. Tomorrow, walk tomorrow´s camino.
Humans are designed for walking.
Soon you will feel MUCH better. Maybe better than ever.
Now, get a beer and a nap. Sleep is miraculous!

See you here in a couple of weeks. THEN we can talk about you skipping forward.
Reb.

Johnnyman:

I believe I told you to pack light and start slowly. I am sitting here smiling and remembering those early days. Do not give up hope of walking the entire Camino. "It will get better". Soon you will be on the Meseta which is hot and flatter, more like Texas.

The Camino is not a walk in the park. If it was it would hardly be worthwhile doing. Just hang in there. Take care of your feet every night and let your bed absorb your pain. It will get better you just need to let your body adjust to the changes you are putting it through.

Sometimes I think of the Camino in terms of the movie "Ground Hog Day". In the movie Bill Murray wakes up and goes through a similar cycle to the day before but each day He becomes more aware of the people and things around him. The Camino is a bit like that.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first third of your journey is to tame your body
The second part of your journey is to tame your spirit
and the third part of your journey is for the joy of your soul

Keep going Johnnyman!
Take it easy. Listen to your body and respect it! Enjoy the countryside and historical villages that you walk through, so different from your part of the world. Listen to the birds and marvel at the storks now so busy feeding their young. Sit in front of a bar in a village and watch life going by. Visit any church that is open and think of all the millions of Pilgrims who, over the ages have sat there before you.
If you really find yourself behind "your schedule" then hop on a bus and cut off a couple of day's walking. Buen camino! Anne

Great advice and encouragement in the above replies.

I just returned less than a fortnight ago and have started to write up my notes from the rather copious diary I kept.

Reading throught the entries of my first week, I am now amazed at the amount of whining I did. Yes, it was tough, more than tough, and on more than one occasion during my first week, I have written something along the lines: "If I could be spirited away at this very moment, let's forget all about the camino and bring me back home to my comfort zone again!"

However, having started with no ambitions or expectations, I knew that I could of course at any time have chosen to scamper.

I did not, and after the initial shock, I gradually found my body, my legs and my resolve getting stronger. I gradually realized how much I enjoyed walking, enjoyed the wonderful nature, the lovely Spanish people, the comradeship. I walked alone but was never alone.

Having started out with no expectations, I only brought loose-leaf maps to as far as Astorga (that was much further than I in my wildest dreams had expected to walk), but I picked up pace along the way and actually walked shorter stretches at the end in order to not run out of maps! So I ended in Astorga having clocking 435 km (66 year old woman with an up till now sedentary lifestyle – but now looking to getting back).

So Johnnyman, take your time, listen to your body, do not let any ambitions get into the way for enjoying the camino. Listen to the birds, look at the flowers and the skies. Listen to yourself.

Finally, on a more practical note: I switched between staying in albergues and hostales (sometimes needed time out to sort impressions in solitude). If you wish, I could send you a PM with my recommendations.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don't give up Johnny - if you can't cover the distance, come back again on another trip. Walk as much as you comfortably can, given your time schedule, and start again where you left off next year or the year after. I'm going back for my third leg of the camino this year, and I am so looking forward to it. Don't let the constraints of what other people have achieved take from your enjoyment. It's not a race. :D Buen Camino!

you crazy Texan !
they dont hand out compostelas for bussing from Pamplona to Sandiego
now get out of that cozy alberque
and face west
and put your left foot in front of your right foot
and repeat after me - this is the toughest experience of my life
but as the Prez of the US of A said - "yes you can....."

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Shee-ut, I ain´t giving up at all! Things are looking up, and I indeed hope to walk the entire way to Santiago. However, time may not allow, so I may have to bus ahead. Just sayin´...

All the above responses are true

All is well - your experiences are how it is - all is well. Slow down, stop worrying about failing and look at what you have already done!

Stop trying to walk so fast. There is a walking gait that you will learn, rather than tight thighs go for loose thighs and sort of lope along - ground eating.
And here's a thing, well, a few things - stop regularly for breaks, even halfway up a hill. Every hour or so or couple of hours, take your boots off and your socks - let those toes feel the air. When you put the socks back on swap them to the alternate foot - no ridge memories for your feet.
And - most important - if you feel weary or 'nocando' stop for a moment to swig some water, turn around and look back. You will be amazed, amazed at how far you have just walked. What you passed is now a tiny distant thing - you did that, you walked that - it is empowering.

And, c'mon - your a Texican! :wink:

You've given us all a good laugh here Johnnyman. Not at you but with you. Many of us have been there and know how much you'll treasure these days!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good luck Johnny, as some one else said, you will treasure these days.

Buen Camino

Mike

To tell you everything Johnny would simply be giving all the good stuff away!
The single most important part of the Camino is the part you are going through right now, we have it easy, pretty much, in our safe, comfortable lot in life and you set out on the Camino for a reason and i'm sure it wasn't just to go for a walk hey?

The lessons you are learning about yourself right now are paramount to the rest of your life. If you think about it, walking is the most natural thing we as humans can do, we've all been doing it since we were a year old, but now, we are re-evaluating what has become instinct. Every painful step now forces us to examine the tiny little problems in our feet, legs, back and most importantly our head. It is making you concentrate totally on the task in hand something that at home, maybe you don't do often enough.
The simpliest things become important. How to shed some excess weight from your pack, how important it is to stop for a breather and spot an incredible bird in the tree or to look back and get a whole new perspective on where you are and how far you have come, literally and indeed metaphorically.

There is a simple art to walking and the Camino at the moment it is completely re-writing your programming....which is exactly what you are there to do maybe, right?!

Seriously though Johnny, from one guy to another. There is no option to give up just because its hard, ok, so do what you need to do each day to get you to the next and once that daily habit becomes natural, then you'll start to fly.

Not a single pilgrim who ever walked didn't feel what you are feeling now, if the forums banged on about the pain, the length, the tears, the terrain, the snorers, the annoyances, the blisters, the occasional rude barman, the cold showers, the queues for a bed....etc etc etc then would anyone go?!...probably, yes because we would all say again and again, more than anything, it was so totally, utterly and completely worth it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some good comment above.

I only say - take plenty of rest days. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel, physically and mentally. It's really important to rest.

There's a bloke on the forum who does a 'Slow Camino' - read his stuff. There's a post on the forum about not giving up, about a church needing rebuilt after setbacks. This is for all of us.

We've all been wiped out so join the club. If you told us it was a breeze we wouldnt believe you!

Hi Johnny enjoying your posts. I am out in August so its good to get some background and to prepare. Keep going on you are inspiring others that must be a good thing! Now for the silly question how are your feet? are you wearing boots or shoes?
Woody

Woody, wearing hiking shoes (Keen), and having my first encounter with blisters, after four days on Camino. Pretty painful today, but managed nearly 20 kilometers before stopping to let the feet rest a bit. It´s really difficult at first, brother, with all the climbing out of Pamplona, where I started. But my legs are coming around quickly, and I´m looking forward to smooth(er) sailing soon ...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
gregdedman said:
To tell you everything Johnny would simply be giving all the good stuff away!
The single most important part of the Camino is the part you are going through right now, we have it easy, pretty much, in our safe, comfortable lot in life and you set out on the Camino for a reason and i'm sure it wasn't just to go for a walk hey?

The lessons you are learning about yourself right now are paramount to the rest of your life. If you think about it, walking is the most natural thing we as humans can do, we've all been doing it since we were a year old, but now, we are re-evaluating what has become instinct. Every painful step now forces us to examine the tiny little problems in our feet, legs, back and most importantly our head. It is making you concentrate totally on the task in hand something that at home, maybe you don't do often enough.
The simpliest things become important. How to shed some excess weight from your pack, how important it is to stop for a breather and spot an incredible bird in the tree or to look back and get a whole new perspective on where you are and how far you have come, literally and indeed metaphorically.

There is a simple art to walking and the Camino at the moment it is completely re-writing your programming....which is exactly what you are there to do maybe, right?!

Seriously though Johnny, from one guy to another. There is no option to give up just because its hard, ok, so do what you need to do each day to get you to the next and once that daily habit becomes natural, then you'll start to fly.

Not a single pilgrim who ever walked didn't feel what you are feeling now, if the forums banged on about the pain, the length, the tears, the terrain, the snorers, the annoyances, the blisters, the occasional rude barman, the cold showers, the queues for a bed....etc etc etc then would anyone go?!...probably, yes because we would all say again and again, more than anything, it was so totally, utterly and completely worth it.

Thanks brother, and everything you say is true ...

My biggest fear during the first two days of walking was that I physically would not be able to do it. My feet and legs hurt so bad! After years of planning I couldn't believe that it would come crashing down and end so quickly! I kept going... it wasn't easy, but I did finish. Soon, I'm off to do it again. Don't give up! It is a pilgrimage after all -- some element of sacrifice/suffering is to be expected.

I tell you what, y'all gotta take the advice of the 83 year old Italian fella I walked the Camino with. As we'd pass him on the tough uphills, he'd smile at us and say: Piano, piano!

Its a great mantra! It was his third Camino.

Git on up Johnnyman!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I´m doing OK, folks. Made it to Logrono today. Check out my blog, if you wish

golfnman13.blog.com

Nandy61 said:
the advice of the 83 year old Italian fella I walked the Camino with. As we'd pass him on the tough uphills, he'd smile at us and say: Piano, piano!

Passing an elderly Spanish couple, the very courageous Senora told me "Poco a poco" - this was to be my mantra (and is it still in difficult moments)...

Yes, johnnyman, I do remember perfectly well the steep climb after Pamplona - hard stuff indeed. But it could have been "worse" a start - over the Pyrenees...

Animo - as say the Spanish - keep on going "poco a poco".

I wish you all the best and enjoy ;)

johnnyman said:
managed nearly 20 kilometers before stopping to let the feet rest a bit. ...

And already you're ignoring the advice of many to stop every couple of hours or so to air the feet....

Johnny your blog is fantastico ... please keep it going. So many who have walked the Camino can relate to your experiences. Those who have yet to walk can get a good understanding of what to expect.

:D Johnny, please write in your blog about your daily experience (good or bad) with the "albergues" you stay. Everybody will appreciate it. Buen Camino.

Johnny, really enjoying your blog, only 5 weeks before I start the walk from St Jean. Really looking forward to it. Trying to take on all the advice others have given, however its great to have you actually doing it now. Biggest concern is not to take too much stuff. Also must be great getting cool beer after a stretch!! Anyway keep the blog going looks like I better decide now boots or shoes!!
Cheers and good luck.
Woody

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
johnnyman said:
golfnman13.blog.com

Hey Johnny-golfn-man! I carried my bag over 6 miles of very hilly terrain today and shot an 87!!! Piece of cake compared to the Camino. (That's only 9.5K.) YOu won't believe how strong you'll be on your return.

Enjoying your blog!!

Buen Camino!

Nancy

pal said:
johnnyman said:
managed nearly 20 kilometers before stopping to let the feet rest a bit. ...

And already you're ignoring the advice of many to stop every couple of hours or so to air the feet....

You´re right! Today, I stopped, took off shoes and socks, massaged the feet, put on clean and dry socks, took off again. It was nice. I recommend it, and plan to do it every day from now on ... and gimme a break, it´s hard to remember everything!!! :D

johnnyman said:
You´re right! Today, I stopped, took off shoes and socks, massaged the feet, put on clean and dry socks, took off again. It was nice. I recommend it, and plan to do it every day from now on ... and gimme a break, it´s hard to remember everything!!! :D
Haha it'll probably pour with rain tomorrow- your feet will get drenched- and it will be impossible to sit down and relax and change into dry socks. :shock: We are here to make your life harder!
Margaret

johnnyman said:
Check out my blog, if you wish

golfnman13.blog.com

Hi Johnnyman,

I did; I'm hooked. Will visit you regularly.

Have a good one,
Jean-Marc

Thanks, Jean-Marc, and for all the other kind words, as well. I´m honored and humbled, truly ...

€83,-
Hi Johnnyman,
I started Pamplona may 4th and am home in Ireland a week now and am still exhausted. I guess I am about fifty years older than you. You will survive Johnnyman. Think how little we have to endure compared to pilgrims 500 years ago. I needed buses and taxi and doctors and more buses.

However if getting your compostela is important to you, make sure you walk the last 100 klm from Sarria, otherwise you do not qualify. Crazy isn't it? You could walk from Moscow or India or China, and if you are so exhausted that you get a bus the last 10 klm you don't qualify. Not to worry. You wont be asked for it at the pearly gates. You will only be asked if were you kind to others that you met on the camino of life.

I saw a pilgrim get out of his bunk and set off down the road another 6 or 7 klm in order to let another pilgrim who was exhausted have his bunk. That is what the Camino is really about.

There will be a lot of people going after seeing the film " The Way" who will feel "Yáll didn't tell me"
God bless,
Lydia

Howdy folks, just a little update: I´m out three days out of Leon and doing great! It´s been quite a journey so far and I´ve learned a lot. Number one, don´t expect too much out of yourself, as far as distance each day, just take it as it comes; number two, stop every 2-3 hours and take off your shoes and socks for 30 minutes, your feet will thank you for it; number three, allow yourself a solid five weeks for the Camino Frances, you will probably need it. Ciao ... http://golfnman13.blog.com

I just went to read the blog and the web page said it is suspended.
The blog.com is work so it is your acount.

http://golfnman13.blog.com/
This blog has been suspended due to the violation of the Blog.com's Terms of Service

If you are the owner of this blog and feel it was wrongly suspended, please contact our Support Center

I don´t know why the blog was suspended, but am trying to find out. Gotta be a mistake. Anybody have any knowledge about this stuff?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The suspension notification said something about a blog complaint. I have no idea what that means ...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My thoughts exactly. WHO would complain about a Camino blog? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I guess there are people out there who aren't happy unless they can make someone else's life miserable.

dg

It must be back.... I can read it anyhow.... Maybe the blog service was down and that was the message they gave...
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So glad you're back up, Johnny!
I laughed when I read about the lady shining her light in your eyes... brought back fond memories! :lol:

And I SO know how happy you felt in that elvin (well, you said effin) bubblebath! :lol:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Just read your blog johnny - Crikey, you write well!

Loved it - a nice balance between the inner and the outer - (but, more inner please) ... will you walk alone in a while? Communicate inwardly only, for a day or so?

Funny how, before you left home, you thought you were a wimp and it turns out that you are both honest and courageous - but we all knew that :wink:

You are a good and honest man, Johnny - Buen Camino!!

p.s. do you really have two bricks to make a bbq in your pack? :lol:

I am still personally wounded that the village of Villacazar afforded Johnnyman a bubble bath and I got a cold shower! :shock: Guess he really did need it more than me! (Little voice whispers: Shut up Karin, a pilgrim is grateful!)

Loving your blog John....really enjoying it after only 4 days home...wanna trade places?

Buen Camino, Karin

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Howdy, folks, just an update: we are in Arzua, my walking partners and I. This is purt´near to Santiago de Compostela. Gonna eat some pulpo tonite! It´s been an amazing time. Amazing. It´s been hard, painful, exhausting, frustrating and wonderful. I´ve learned so much. Ciao ...

GO JOHNNY, GO, GO, GO......JOHNNY BE GOOD!!! :)

Buen Camino my friend for the last stretch, Im so glad you made it to the end.
Have a San Mig for us all in the city, ok?!

Greg

Johnnyman....ya gonna make it for the fourth? That would one awesome way to celebrate! Will hoist one with that thought in mind this afternoon! Can't wait to hear about your arrival, and give SJ a hug for me...please..it's been too long...like two weeks and I'm in withdrawal! :mrgreen:

Buen Camino & Ultreia, Karin

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Slogging through the mist and rain today, getting close to the city. Gonna get a room for the night, then take care of pilgrim business and attend the mass manana. Thanks, all of yáll, for the kind words and support ... :wink:

All that self-doubt resolved! At some point I am guessing that you will believe that pushing through the discomfort was worth it! There was no botafumeiro swing today at the Pilgrim Mass, but perhaps you will catch it tomorrow. Congratulations!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They didn´t swing the incense burner at the mass today, either. And to think how bad I had to pee for 45 minutes ...

Well now, pilgrim :wink: what would be your forum reply now to a nervous 'about to be' ?? :lol:

(well done by the way :!: )

Br. David said:
Well now, pilgrim :wink: what would be your forum reply now to a nervous 'about to be' ?? :lol:

(well done by the way :!: )

Well ... it´s OK and normal to be nervous and scared. Just strap on your pack, start walking and follow the arrows/signs. Everything will be OK. You´ll see ... :)

€149,-
the botafumeiro is hanging there ready to fly! So maybe it is flying at the noon mass today...

Attachments

• Bild 11.png
    Bild 11.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 1,190
johnnyman said:
They didn´t swing the incense burner at the mass today, either. And to think how bad I had to pee for 45 minutes ...

it´s flying now!

There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of references on the Web regarding The Camino's uphill and downhill segments; how on Earth did you missed that? :?:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My rather dated CSJ guide to the Camino Francés has a SJPP to Santiago elevation diagram in the first few pages.

It is enough to scare the living daylights out of you.

Somethings are best discovered when it's too late!

It is funny because I had the absolute opposite experience than the Original Poster; I was scared to the point of tears hours before I started the Camino from SJPDP. I had read in so many sites how difficult that first crossing from SJPDP to Roncesvalles was! As it turns out, it was nowhere near as difficult as I read.

You know, that's a really good question: why didn't I notice all the elevation changes and such clearly outlined in the guidebook that I bought and took with me. Hell, I don't know. Why didn't I remember all the great advice I got on this forum, like taking a break from walking every couple of hours or so to let my feet rest (maybe I would have avoided the blister that covered half the ball of my foot), or how to get from Barajas airport to Pamplona by bus. I didn't even know how to get from the Pamplona bus station to my hotel. Didn't have a clue. Someone later on the Camino kindly pointed out that they usually print out maps beforehand for such things, when they travel. I just kind of completely blanked out about everything. Nerves, I guess ...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Johhnyman, I have been on the Camino eight times. In December 2010 in Arzua I caught a bus to Santiago to book a flight home at an Internet cafe, then returned by bus the next day to resume my walk.

It never occured to me ask, is there a cafe in Arzua or even a computer in the albergue?

I have only walked through Arzua five times. I know it's a big town. But being dog tired I failed to put my brain into gear.

The list of things that you know you should have done but didn't gets longer each time you return to the Camino.

Those who walk to Santiago were once - and probably still are - known as "Holy Fools".

Welcome to the confraternity.

Y'all didn´t tell me
We did!

And now you can tell others. I am guessing that you will use somewhat guarded language so that you do not scare them off. Would you deprive others of what you have had with graphic descriptions of the very worst moments? The Forum is a balancing act of informing others to push their limits without being so honest that their fears build instead of fade. I met a pilgrim whose photography focused on feet, specifically bad blisters on feet. I have never had a blister, but the photos scared me. It would be unfair to post those images on the Forum because they are highly prejudicial!

Again, congratulations. Are you going back??

I think that sometimes we have the information, such as elevation maps, at our fingertips, but can't imagine how it applies to us. I encountered pilgrims who looked at the maps and decided without trying that they just couldn't do a particular hill. I learned that you never really know how steep a hill is until you actually set your feet on it.
Suzanne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree that nothing can fully prepare you for the realities of the Camino. I get a kick now out of all the questions people ask as they get ready for their first Camino (like I did). I was walking 20K on Saturday mornings before I went and thought I was pretty fit and would easily be able to log 18-20 miles a day. Ha! The first day out of Pamplona and up and down the hill of forgiveness and I was fried! I've always expected a lot (too much) out of myself, been my own worst enemy and worst critic, and I think the thing that "saved" me was the people with whom I became friends. Without them, I would either have been devastated that I couldn't walk 20 miles a day, or I would have pushed and pushed myself to walk 20 miles a day and gotten injured or something. It's just not a thing you can really explain to people; they have to experience it themselves, I think. And, yes, I imagine I'll be going back at some point :wink:

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back