• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yak Trax?

Saunterr

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Finesterre 2015
VdlP 2017
I'm going to start the VdlP in mid-February. I was wondering if the conditions will be icy enough that yak-trax (the strap-on grippy things you can attach to the soles of shoes--sort of like crampons, but not as intense) would be helpful or even necessary?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with Ivar, I doubt that you would use them and it's just extra weight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In February I think they can be a smart item to take. I encountered some really deep snow and icy conditions and would have been grateful to have them. Winter walking comes with different conditions and IMO often a need to carry some more items/weight than at other times of the year. Worst case scenario? Have them with you until you get a sense that you are safe without them and then mail them on to SDC. Good luck, be safe and Buen Camino!

In February I think they can be a smart item to take. I encountered some really deep snow and icy conditions and would have been grateful to have them. Winter walking comes with different conditions and IMO often a need to carry some more items/weight than at other times of the year. Worst case scenario? Have them with you until you get a sense that you are safe without them and then mail them on to SDC. Good luck, be safe and Buen Camino!
Your experience come from walking the CF and OP is going to walk Via de la Plata. I think the most of this route won't have weather conditions as on CF in winter.
But I haven't walked VdlP at all... ;)

Your experience come from walking the CF and OP is going to walk Via de la Plata. I think the most of this route won't have weather conditions as on CF in winter.
But I haven't walked VdlP at all... ;)
I'm in the same boat as you, @KinkyOne, having not walked the VDLP but I when I looked up the average temps in February I saw average min temp in Madrid was 3 degrees celsius. My rationale was that if it was that cold down by Madrid, that from there north it was not inconceivable that it could by freezing with icy conditions. If I'm correct the VDLP comes up through Astorga which also means a trip over O'Cebreiro in mid- to late-March which also is well inside the freezing and snowy part of the year. It is entirely likely you and Falcon are right but I've never been a minimalist and err on the side of caution when I'm out trekking alone. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm in the same boat as you, @KinkyOne, having not walked the VDLP but I when I looked up the average temps in February I saw average min temp in Madrid was 3 degrees celsius. My rationale was that if it was that cold down by Madrid, that from there north it was not inconceivable that it could by freezing with icy conditions. If I'm correct the VDLP comes up through Astorga which also means a trip over O'Cebreiro in mid- to late-March which also is well inside the freezing and snowy part of the year. It is entirely likely you and Falcon are right but I've never been a minimalist and err on the side of caution when I'm out trekking alone. :)

Have a look at the photo in this article. O'Cebreiro on April 15th. Bring snow shoes.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/album/...ro-amanece-nevado/01101334503400809166571.htm

True. But I mentioned "most of the route" and conditions north of Zamora either on Sanabres branch or CF worsten mostly because of the altitude and influence from the Atlantic. While south of Zamora I would be more concern with strong winds than the icy conditions. That might change overnight of course with rain/sleeth/snow during the day and freezing temps in the night.

Therefore I wouldn't bring any additional gear from the beginning of the route. If the conditions get really rough you can buy this kind of winter gear in all major towns like Salamanca, Zamora, Ourense/Astorga and even in between.

Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm going to start the VdlP in mid-February. I was wondering if the conditions will be icy enough that yak-trax (the strap-on grippy things you can attach to the soles of shoes--sort of like crampons, but not as intense) would be helpful or even necessary?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Marcie:

Yak Trax weigh next to nothing. Considering you are walking in February they are probably worthwhile taking.

The Southern part of this route they will probably not get any use but all it takes is one good icy storm to change the conditions. I would recommend you bring them if you already own a pair. The last thing you want is to slip, fall and injure yourself on your Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Only concern with YakTrax is if you meet hard ice where they're not much use. Check outdoor stores' websites etc. for alternatives that would be more versatile. I know they exist but can't remember what they're called; failing that I've got a very nice pair of snowshoes in my shed, one careful owner, never raced or rallied - make me an offer.

Yaktrax is more for city/urban use. A step up is Kahtoola microspikes. They are a micro crampons (1 cm spikes). Very versatile. I use it in the mountains. Very light and easy to use and provide incredible traction in varying icey/snowy or even muddy conditions.

They are a bit pricy $70. But one can pick one at ebay lot cheaper.

Attachments

• spikes.jpg
    spikes.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, advice and ideas! I've already got a pair of yak trax, and have decided to take them--it seems worth the little bit of extra weight. If I need something more substantial, I'll go to an outdoor shop along the route. Or take a rest day :p

As my departure date gets closer, I get more excited!

I walked the VdlP this past April with snow flurries leaving Salamanca. In Granja de Moreruela you can continue on the VdlP to Astorga and join the CF or take the Camino Sanabres - I took the Sanabres. Heavy rain all day from Asturianos and paths were so flooded that I had to walk along the highway. Rain the entire day to Puebla de Sanabria. Still along the side of the highway with rain turning to snow/ice crossing the mountains to Lubian. Rain and wind got so bad that I quit in A Gudiña. Maybe April 2016 was unusual because the locals all said the year before had been wonderful.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back