• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yearning to hear the bells

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
On the Marne River in France
July 25, 2022

Although physically I may not be in Santiago de Compostela nevertheless I yearn to hear the massive cathedral bells peal in celebration of the Feast of Saint James, July 25.

Within the city all will convene to celebrate this historic Catholic event and actively participate in age-old ecclesiastic pageantry and tradition.

Whatever our ethnicity or beliefs, all pilgrims who walk or have walked the Camino share common bonds. All surely remember their personal thrill on arriving at last at the great cathedral, touching the hallowed stones, weeping with joy, and giving thanks as the great bells tolled.

At home in France I shall, as always, also remember and listen for those far-distant, celebratory bells.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It must be amazing to be there today.
Fortunately we have the internet.
I'm especially interested in this part:
O magazine ‘Quen Anda Aí? Verán’ non descansará o 25 de xullo e estará moi pendente de todo o que aconteza nas rúas de Santiago. A continuación, arredor das 19.15 h, estrearase ‘A Galicia do prerrománico’, documental de produción propia que percorre a historia de Galicia durante os cinco séculos que seguiron á caída do Imperio Romano, e que teñen como feito crucial que nese período (séculos V-X) foi cando se descubriu a tumba do Apóstolo en Santiago, desembocando no comezo da construción da catedral de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back