• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yellow arrows on alternative routes

RevBarbaraG

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2018)
I’m going in March, so have no option but to take the Valcarlos route. Are there yellow arrows on this route? The write up in John Brierley’s book implies you have to be very careful not to go astray, so I’m guessing not....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Valcarlos route is well marked no worries! I cannot recall anywhere where it would be easy to get lost. If it is foggy or misty in the forest sections just double check for a marker stone whenever you come to a split or turn off. They are there.

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Davey

The Valcarlos route is as well marked with yellow arrows as any other in my recall. There are a couple of points where the careless might wander but that applies even more to the Napoleon. There are points where the recommended route diverts from the road to avoid long loops but that involve descending and ascending and crossing occasionally torrential brooks. On the Valcarlos, if all else fails, follow the road. Which is the recommended action in poor weather in all cases.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've watched people, while standing on an arrow painted in the road, check their surroundings and proceed down the wrong road. It happens and is part of the camino. If you are hyper alert you won't miss any but you'll also not allow your mind to wander. There is a balance and it takes some learning as you go.

The biggest trick is not in following all of the signs, it is in realizing that they have vanished... and then retracing your exact steps until you get back to the missed connection.

That and remembering that the person in front of you is equally likely to make the same learning mistake.

After many Caminos, I have a rule of thumb: If I haven't seen a yellow arrow/marker within 15 minutes, I am contemplating going back to the last one I saw and proceed very carefully from there. But in general, it is hard to miss the direction on any Camino I have walked. Pay attention, that's all.

I once had to help a lady right outside the door of the municipal albergue in Burgos. She was shouting: "Where are the arrows!?" I told her to spread her legs and look down: Right beneath her, between her legs, there was a bronze scallop pointing the direction...

Edit: It is surprising, how many times I have silently asked for a sign, and shortly afterwards, a yellow arrow has popped up. The same goes for a place to sit down for a needed rest... The Camino provides...

Last edited:
There is one point on the Valcarlos that can be a bit tricky - the path intersects with the road a few times and at one point you come up out of a valley onto the road which happens to be on a curve. I can't remember why, but for some reason I found the arrows at that point a bit confusing. I used my maps.me app (I'd downloaded the maps so they were available offline) to ensure I was walking in the right direction.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
They said to follow the arrows
If you do you can’t go wrong
But just where and how to find them
Is a completely different song

The yellow painted arrows
Are sure to lead you straight
Just beware the false misleading
To a Camino shister’s gate

In towns that have the money
And hope you’re spending some
Place bronze shells leading onward
Toward an albergue when day is done

In others signs proliferate
Showing peregrinos with walk stick
Beware the traffic circles
Be nimble and be quick

If you think your lost don’t worry
Take comfort from this fact
Look down see feet beneath you
You’re exactly where your at

My advice is to not only visit the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP but then take the time to carefully read the handouts they give.:D On the Valcarlos route I came upon a place before reaching Valcarlos where there were two sets of arrows due to diverging routes. One route to the left turned out to take a little used, pleasant, country road and the route to the right took the main road with multiple hairpin bends and little if any walk space. The wrong choice did lead me directly to Valcarlos but was a baptism of fire for walking the main road (albeit useful for the following day). However, other far more sensible pilgrims enjoyed walking the road less travelled and still got to Valcarlos. These two options were explained diagramatically on the Pilgrim Office handout. Lesson learned!
After Valcarlos there are various off-the-main road options that can be taken. These options are paths rather than roads. They are very beautiful but need to be approached with respect in snow or rain. If in doubt in bad weather then my advice would be to take the road. Need to add that I have only walked this route once. It was at the beginning of April but there are many on this forum with far more experience of this route.
Have a very buen camino.

Last edited:
I have two maps that should help you find the Valcarlos route to Roncevaux.

Attachments

• LES PORTS DE CIZE.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • Roncevaux.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back