• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yellow arrows on Brierly alternatives for the cartographically challenged?

Caminomary525

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
In looking at Brierly's notes for my Logrono to Leon segment , I note that there are several places where Brierly suggests alternatives to the main route, mostly to avoid long stretches near highways. So, are these alternatives marked with yellow arrows or shells? I am severely cartographically challenged and worry about being dependent on Brierly maps and notes in the absence of route markers I'd i choose to try the alternate paths.

Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Back in 2010 I don't recall ever having problems with the little yellow markers on the alternative routes and I used most of them as they invariably lead to some interesting places, even if they were usually a few km's longer than the main route. Even if I hadn't seen the markers I doubt I'd have got lost as there was usually a backpack with legs bouncing around in front of me at varying distances. If you're worried though you could always walk with someone at these stages.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Where I took alternatives that were, they were waymarked. Sometimes I took alternatives that weren't. I was then both geographically and cartographically challenged!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The alternative routes in Brierley are easy to follow for the most part and, if you have access to it, the French Miam miam dodo guide also has a number of additional route options worth checking out. For example en route to Carrion do los Condes when Brierley's suggested route (which by the way is a lot nicer than slogging along the main road) swings you back onto a main road at Ermita Virgin del rio to continue onto Carrion via Villasirga MMDD's suggested detour heads just a little further to the north of that road and follows a lovely farm track that runs sort of parallelish (well it does wind and wend a bit) to the main road. We saw some rusty old Camino signs on this track with the words 'Santiago de Compostela' rather than any shells so it has obviously had a larger purpose than just agricultural and it takes you gently and quietly through fields nearly all of the way into town.
Asking for a peek at a MMDD guide shouldn't be a problem as there are usually quite a few French pilgrims en route and they seem to get a kick out of English speaking pilgrims referencing their guides rather than Brierley (or indeed anything in English!).

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back