• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yellow arrows to Valladolid

Roger Hogstrom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2001 and 2006, Via de la plata 2007,2010,2017,2019. CdM 3 times Ruta de la lana (2021
I walked Camino de Madrid this year and loved it. When I came to Simancas I could see that it was 7 kilometers to Valladolid. I didn´t walk to Valladolid , I walked straight on to Castromonte.
Next year I will walk this route agin with a friend and we will walk to Valladolid and then continue to Sahagun. My question is " Are there yellow arrows from Simancas to Valladolid and further on from Valladolid and back to the "regular track".

Roger

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Roger,

I took a detour to Valladolid when I walked in 2012. What I did was sleep in Puente Duero (great albergue), walk the next morning to Simancas, then hop a bus to the center. I got there very early and spent the night in Valladolid. Then the next afternoon I got back on a bus to Simancas and walked the very few kms to Cigunuela. I did this for two reasons -- first, I had heard from many people that the albergues after Cigunuela were not very nice, not until you hit Castromonte (where I did stay and what an amazing place that is!). Second, I had never visited Valladolid and wanted to see the town -- the way I did it, I had almost a full day the first day, and then a long morning/early afternoon the second day. It worked out great, Valladolid is a very nice city.

If you look at the google maps version of Simancas to Valladolid, you'll see that there is a section that looks like it has to go on the autovia, that there is no road. That doesn't comport with my memory, but in any event, I think it's pretty clear that there's not going to be a nice path with arrows. I would be surprised if there's any signage, but you could probably walk on concrete the whole way.

The other option would be to walk from Puente Duero to Valladolid (or take one of the many frequent municipal buses), and then pick up the camino again either back in Puente Duero or in Simancas. Both Puente Duero and Cigunuela are very nice albergues. I know people also sometimes sleep in pensiones in Simancas and take a day trip in and out of Valladolid, so that's another option.

Lucky you to go back, I agree it's a very nice camino. Laurie

Hi again, Roger,

In an effort to boost my abysmal level of tech knowledge, I tried to follow the instructions sent to me once by one of the moderators (mig) about how to use google maps.

I hope this works, but what I've tried to do is to find the walking instructions on google maps for Simancas to Valladolid (it's about 14 kms). It shows something I had forgotten about but now remember clearly -- to get into Valladolid from Simancas by bus (and by foot), you have to walk out of town, across the bridge and get on the secondary road that parallels the river into town. It will be a walk on asphalt the whole way in.

Hope this works. the second link is intended to be the walking directions from Puente Duero into Valladolid, which is also going to be all asphalt, I assume, and no arrows.

http://goo.gl/maps/Tljbx

http://goo.gl/maps/mQIzV

Hope these help clarify things. Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are not Arrows to Valladolid. I did what Laura did kinda. I had a tent. Buen camino

Another option from Valladolid, would be to go directly from Valladolid to Ciguñuela. Of course, there are not arrows but it is quite straightforward and I did it with my bicycle in August 2011, having designed previously the way with Google Earth (attached file). Now the area has changed a lot due to the construccion of a big shopping center (IKEA and so on) but I suppose it shouldn't be any problem.

On the other hand, according to the info I have, from Puente Duero there are bronze scallops on the pavement marking the Camino to the Santiago church in Valladolid. Nevertheless, the best would be to contact the Association over there: http://www.ajova.es/inicio.php

¡Buen Camino!!

Paco
(Asociación Amigos Camino de Santiago de Madrid)

Attachments

• Vall-Ciguñuela.kmz
    1.3 KB · Views: 49
I hope this works, but what I've tried to do is to find the walking instructions on google maps for Simancas to Valladolid (it's about 14 kms). It shows something I had forgotten about but now remember clearly -- to get into Valladolid from Simancas by bus (and by foot), you have to walk out of town, across the bridge and get on the secondary road that parallels the river into town. It will be a walk on asphalt the whole way in.

Hope this works. the second link is intended to be the walking directions from Puente Duero into Valladolid, which is also going to be all asphalt, I assume, and no arrows.

http://goo.gl/maps/Tljbx

http://goo.gl/maps/mQIzV

Hope these help clarify things.

I'm sorry for resurrecting such an old thread but I'd like to provide some info just in case it could be useful.

The route from Puente Duero to the Santiago church in Valladolid (and v.v.) is marked with 60 shells on the floor/ground (they are on monolites/mojones on the non-urban area of the route). I don't know for sure the exact route they marked but the one quoted on your link as via Cañada Real is, IMHO, the best one for walkers (and it's off-road and off-sidewalk once you cross the road CL-600 till you arrive to the first houses of Calle Cañada Real). Bicigrinos (bike pilgrims) may use the bike lane from Puente Duero to Valladolid (parallel to road CL-610).

Regarding the walking route to Simancas, I suggest to avoid the route via the Camino Viejo de Simancas and choose the route via Arroyo de la Encomienda instead (quoted on your link as via Av. Salamanca). It's roughly the same distance but the route through Arroyo de la Encomienda has a small part of it off-road and it has another bonus: you pass next to the Romanesque church (restored in XIXth century) of San Juan Evangelista in Arroyo de la Encomienda (and might visit it if it's opened when you pass).

Regarding the walk from Valladolid to Ciguñuela, I didn't take a look at the link provided by pacogm37 but if you look for walking instructions at Google Maps, the route going through Zaratán and exiting Valladolid through Calle Padre José Acosta would be the best one although almost all of it is on tarmac or sidewalk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I went to Valladolid during my Madrid Camino - and had a huge case of culture shock.
After being on the Madrid route, the town was so busy I could barely stand the sound of the traffic, people, etc.
I got the next bus out of there. :eek:
Maybe next time...

I went to Valladolid during my Madrid Camino - and had a huge case of culture shock.
After being on the Madrid route, the town was so busy I could barely stand the sound of the traffic, people, etc.
I got the next bus out of there. :eek:
Maybe next time...
I didn't detour to Valladolid during my CdM but I do share your feelings about getting from relative calmness to a bustling bigger cities. I even can't persuade myself to visit a cathedral or museum sometimes. I guess my mind as a pilgrim is set so much differently and in case being just a tourist that would change my perception completely :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back