• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yellow Flowers on the way to O Cebreiro

CSmith

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2017
Can anyone tell me what the yellow flowers are on the road to O Cebreiro? I would post a picture but can't figure out how.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can anyone tell me what the yellow flowers are on the road to O Cebreiro? I would post a picture but can't figure out how.
There are three buttons at bottom right corner of the post box. Hit the middle one (Upload a file).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From a distance, and given its abundance, this looks like Common Broom, Spanish Broom in this case, aka retama negra.
Yes, almost sure that's it. Very common on hillier parts of Frances. Also at Alto del Perdon, Foncebaddon etc.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My grandmother always told me that "Kissing is in season when Gorse is in flower." Some may have noticed that Gorse will flower throughout the year: a lucky break for those of us that enjoy the occasional kiss. Broom on the other hand has only a brief flowering season, though that will vary by location and altitude, from your photograph it appears that you have hit 'peak broom' in Galicia.

We have what one of my hiking buddies Dan calls Scottish Broom around here in the foothills (below 4000 feet) in Northern California. It looks similar to the link that Falcon269 provided. Dan gets incensed every time he sees one and pulls it out immediately grumbling something about non-native ugly introduced harmful species from Europe. Strangely enough he is of Scottish heritage. Personally I think they are attractive plants.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It appears to be called "broom" everywhere. Is it because it is (was) used as such?
You must forgive me. I am not familiar with this plant; but I am interested in origins of names (and words too). :)

We have what one of my hiking buddies Dan calls Scottish Broom around here in the foothills (below 4000 feet) in Northern California. It looks similar to the link that Falcon269 provided. Dan gets incensed every time he sees one and pulls it out immediately grumbling something about non-native ugly introduced harmful species from Europe. Strangely enough he is of Scottish heritage. Personally I think they are attractive plants.

Yes there is a lot of Scotch Broom along the American River in Sacramento area too. (I lived in Carmichael/Fair Oaks area for 20+ years and studied horticulture at American River College.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think your buddy Dan is right. :)
http://www.broombusters.org/
http://www.shim.bc.ca/invasivespecies/_private/Scotchbroom.htm

It appears to be called "broom" everywhere. Is it because it is (was) used as such?

According to Wikipedia the tool appears to have been named after the plant and not the other way around.

"Old English bróm is from a common West Germanic *bráma- (Old High German brâmo, "bramble"), from a Germanic stem bræ̂m- of unknown origin, with an original sense of "thorny shrub" or similar. Use of the branches of these plants for sweeping gave rise to the term broom for sweeping tools in the 15th century, gradually replacing Old English besema (which survives as dialectal or archaic besom)."

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
According to Wikipedia the tool appears to have been named after the plant and not the other way around.
Wow! It is not often that the original name of the material used was retained instead of the function; and a common household tool too. Thanks much Bradypus.

Now I'm wondering if there used to be special brambles used by the likes of Harry Potter, or was it the stick stuck in the bramble that gave it power? :oops: Oops, forget it; OT.

Last edited:
You must forgive me. I am not familiar with this plant; but I am interested in origins of names (and words too). :)

In Spanish it is called retama, and according to Wikipedia, the origin ratamá is Andalusian Arabic.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.