• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yellow signs on the Camino

Gadflyparexcellence

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in "2016," "2018," "2022."
I know that Elías Valiña Sampedro pioneered the use of yellow arrow signs on Camino Francis beginning in St. Jean. Have the yellow arrow signs been adopted on all other routes (including Camino Portuguese) to Santiago too?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings from Jerusalem! At the head of an offshoot of the Israel Trail leading down from Jerusalem towards Ben Gurion airport there is usually a yellow arrow pointing the right direction. Ah...well...that is...someone restores and brightens the arrow every July 25.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does yellow have any special significance? Of was the colour chosen for entirely practical reasons??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does yellow have any special significance? Of was the colour chosen for entirely practical reasons??
I believe he got it from some road workers and yellow seems to be a universal colour for road works. I often find myself following yellow arrows at home which are nothing more than workers pointing the direction of a trench to be dug

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I often find myself following yellow arrows at home which are nothing more than workers pointing the direction of a trench to be dug

I remember chatting with a fellow pilgrim on the Camino Portugues earlier this autumn and he was telling me how "Camino-obsessed" his girlfriend is. I suggested that, since she was missing the camino so much, when he got home he could paint some yellow arrows in his apartment... leading to the bedroom. ;-)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've seen blue on the route from Fatima years ago and also going "backwards" on the Frances.
The blue Fatima arrows are quite common on the Camino Portuguese as the route is shared for much of the way. Sometimes the arrows are side-by-side, as in these two examples:
IMG_0623.JPGIMG_0749.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I thought blue was going TO Fatima?
Certainly, in Portugal blue arrows point to Fatima and many are labelled as such. I would see them pointing south when I walked north from Porto, often paired with yellow arrows pointing north but not always. When I got to Spain they didn't disappear but they were less frequent. I wonder if you see them alongside the yellow arrows pointing in the same direction on those caminos in the south of Portugal heading up from the Algarve.

I remember chatting with a fellow pilgrim on the Camino Portugues earlier this autumn and he was telling me how "Camino-obsessed" his girlfriend is. I suggested that, since she was missing the camino so much, when he got home he could paint some yellow arrows in his apartment... leading to the bedroom. ;-)

That could be why she’s obsessed with the camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh, how true... especially upon recent re-entry from a Camino! I found myself suffering whiplash and heart palpitations from seeing a casual swath of yellow alongside the road. One would think that there would be therapists for this...

My apologies for drifting back to the topic... ;-)
This photo looks like it shows what you’re looking for (in Alvorge)

1543986830711.jpeg

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Certainly, in Portugal blue arrows point to Fatima and many are labelled as such. I would see them pointing south when I walked north from Porto, often paired with yellow arrows pointing north but not always. When I got to Spain they didn't disappear but they were less frequent. I wonder if you see them alongside the yellow arrows pointing in the same direction on those caminos in the south of Portugal heading up from the Algarve.

Yes, when you walk from Lisbon until the two paths diverge in Santarém, the blue and the yellow arrows share the path and point in the same direction.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The colouring of the arrows used to point to Rome has been fairly unstable, so that yellow, blue, red, and white have all been used -- but I believe that the tendency nowadays is to use yellow towards Santiago and white towards Rome, including because those are the traditional colours of the Standard of Vatican City State.

signalisation_monica.jpg

But I've seen from the interwebs that on the Francigena in France, a similar system can be found where the yellow arrows point to Rome, and the white ones to Canterbury ...

I heard /read that D. Elias used the yellow paint because there was a lot left over after road works when he started marking the camino....
😁

Yes, when you walk from Lisbon until the two paths diverge in Santarém, the blue and the yellow arrows share the path and point in the same direction.
Looking back at some photos I took in Sintra after my camino before my flight home from Lisbon, what did I see in the background of one but two arrows, yellow and blue, pointing in the same direction. I can't believe I didn't notice the yellow arrow when I was there! Usually my eye is drawn to them as if by magnets.20181018_152645.jpg20181018_152645.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back