• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yellow weather alert for snow in Navarra

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
aliciag56, enjoy the coffee and snow. in Canada at present in the Niagara region intermittent rain weather otherwise seasonal.

Camino Facebook groups had photos and videos of snow covered Camino Frances tracks yesterday (Sun 28 Oct 2018) and this morning: a real winter landscape on O Cebreiro and on both sides of the mountains (you can currently see it also on the webcam); a thinner layer of snow on the Col de Lepoeder near the Ibañeta hut on the Route Napoleon with dense fog, you can't see a thing. I also saw a photo showing snow on the road sign in Roncesvalles this morning (Mon 29 Oct) so there will now be more snow higher up. And it's colder now.

People express surprise that "it's snowing already". I don't think that cold snaps and snow in certain parts along the Camino Frances at the end of October are so unusual; I hope that current pilgrim-walkers are prepared for it.

Last edited:
The local Spanish First Responders (called Bomberos in Spanish) tweeted this at 3:40 am local time on 29 Oct 2018: Condiciones invernales en el collado de #Lepoeder hoy no utilices esta ruta, Infórmate de otras opciones a más baja altura, which means don't walk the Route Napoleon today. The info appeared on the FB page of SJPP around lunch-time while @Bradypus' warning came a bit earlier around mid-morning. None of this, of course, had any chance to reach people who set out at 8:00 am today ... that's why I try to encourage people to get used to the idea to (also) get such information themselves in time from good and up to date weather services ... there is, of course, also the language barrier for many, so maybe familiarise yourselves a bit with it all beforehand.

PS: And also later this morning another tweet from the Bomberos de Navarra: #StJamesway Pilgrim pays attention!! Next Wednesday will close The #Lepoeder Pass (Route Napoleon) in St James way. Today it is not advisable to use this route @bomberos_na #Auritz #Burguete

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
According to the website this is almost unprecedented in October. There is also a slideshow of photos in the article.
El Pais, however, calls it "the worst snow in October in 11 years" and a spokesperson for the Spanish weather office Aemet says that episodes like this "are not extraordinary if we look at the long range" and that it was the worst snowfall in October since 2008.

And we all know of course that we must distinguish between weather and climate :cool:. This article from 30 October 2008 deals mainly with the snowfall in Catalonia but mentioned Navarra in a sentence or two.

Anyway, it's not the start of a long and harsh winter yet as this snow will be gone by tomorrow or so. Any bets that it will be another winter that is too mild and too dry? ;)

Anyway, it's not the start of a long and harsh winter yet as this snow will be gone by tomorrow or so. Any bets that it will be another winter that is too mild and too dry? ;)

For completely selfish reasons I hope you are right - at least for the next couple of weeks ;) Flying to Santander on Thursday. Couple of days chugging along the north coast on the FEVE trains. Then the Camino Ingles and perhaps Muxia.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Camino Facebook groups had photos and videos of snow covered Camino Frances tracks yesterday (Sun 28 Oct 2018) and this morning: a real winter landscape on O Cebreiro and on both sides of the mountains (you can currently see it also on the webcam); a thinner layer of snow on the Col de Lepoeder near the Ibañeta hut on the Route Napoleon with dense fog, you can't see a thing. I also saw a photo showing snow on the road sign in Roncesvalles this morning (Mon 29 Oct) so there will now be more snow higher up. And it's colder now.

People express surprise that "it's snowing already". I don't think that cold snaps and snow in certain parts along the Camino Frances at the end of October are so unusual; I hope that current pilgrim-walkers are prepared for it.

Snaps, where, which town !?!? Gammel Dansk , maybe (hopeful)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.