• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yes another blister question

Mark Barnes

Old Engineer
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - September - November (2017)
I have read, watched you tube videos and searched this forum for information on what type thread is to be used in the "needle and thread" blister fix. Maybe I just missed the answer but I cannot find what type, nylon, cotton or what type thread is used and what type should not be used. I do not want an infection so I was looking at sterile sutures and see most use a nylon thread as I recall. Looking for knowledge and experience. Thanks in advance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have had an infected foot (not from threading, I will emphasise). I had to take 4 days rest and go to the doctor every day. I had to take mega antibiotics for 2 weeks. It wasn't nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read, watched you tube videos and searched this forum for information on what type thread is to be used in the "needle and thread" blister fix. Maybe I just missed the answer but I cannot find what type, nylon, cotton or what type thread is used and what type should not be used. I do not want an infection so I was looking at sterile sutures and see most use a nylon thread as I recall. Looking for knowledge and experience. Thanks in advance.

None at all, as it is the best way to get an infection. To drain the blister just make a very small cut 1-2mm with a disinfected nail scissor, having the skin disinfected also previously, drain with a sterile gauze applying pressure and put a band aid or a compress pack (folding a sterile gauze) and tape it well. Buen Camino, SY

PS The hardy ones that can stand the pain and are NOT ALLERGIC to iodine NOR have thyroid issues can also fill the blister, after draining with Iodine (creme).

I have had an infected foot (not from threading, I will emphasise). I had to take 4 days rest and go to the doctor every day. I had to take mega antibiotics for 2 weeks. It wasn't nice. So when old men (and it is always old men) tell me to thread my blisters, I really want to tell them to f**k off.

Sorry to read about your infected foot. I´m one of those "old men" that used to thread my blisters, I´m be doing that for more than forty years and ever works well for me, never suffered a infected blister. My secret? I ALWAYS desinfect the neddle, the thread and the skin all around the blister and the blister itself, using Betadine or similiar stuff. Later I change my socks at the very moment I feel my feet wet. Later, when stop walking, I wash my feet and desinfected the area again. Using a cotton thread works perfect for me. And trust me, being in the military for near of forty years, and walking many caminos gave me lot of experience about blisters :(. My men usually whispered maliciosly something like " The old man has baby feet" :mad: Yes I used to say. And a great hear too. Love to see their faces. :p:p:p

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Pingüigrino I am glad that methods works for you, but I would be very careful to recommend it to others for whom it might not work, in my nearly 20 years of being connected to the Camino world I have seen countless bad and very bad infections caused by the needle and thread method - including cases where people had to spend days in hospitals and/or had to stop their Camino and go home. If it works for one it doesn't mean it works for everybody. Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Pingüigrino I am glad that methods works for you, but I would be very careful to recommend it to others for whom it might not work, in my nearly 20 years of being connected to the Camino world I have seen countless bad and very bad infections caused by the needle and thread method - including cases where people had to spend days in hospitals and/or had to stop their Camino and go home. If it works for one it doesn't mean it works for everybody. Buen Camino, SY

I´m not recommending anything. I´m not a doctor nor a nurse. I´m saying it works for me because the great care of disinfection I take. I have been able to keep walking many times thanks to that method, being aware it could be dangerous. What I highly recomended is whatever the method you use, keep your feet clean, dry and DESINFECTED. And pay a visit to a professional if needed.

Threading is part of a whole corpus of old-school hiking 'lore', and goes along with an insistence on everything being made out of wool, 'proper boots', 'hardening' your feet with surgical spirit, and a bunch of other stuff which has been discredited and superseded by modern technology and evidence-based medicine. Problem is, because the people who believe in this stuff are the seniors of the hiking world, younger people take their advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anecdotal health-related stories of doing a procedure lacking proper infection control which results in "success", without any deleterious side effects, is not the same thing as that procedure being safe. Nor does it mean that said procedure's "success" is not duplicated using proper technique.

Having worked in Public Health teaching infection control procedures and blood borne pathogen controls, I have heard these types of anecdotal "evidences" used to defend poor procedures many times in many forms. "I've only canned green beans using a water bath and never got botulism", as a reply to me when teaching proper canning for low pH foods using a pressure cooker. This was frustrating because, just a month earlier, a family of three became severely ill from eating veggies canned using a water bath method. The mother died shortly after being admitted to the hospital.

Using poor technique raises the risk of untoward outcomes that are virtually eliminated using proper technique. The Blister Prevention site previously posted is good information to follow. If I am to play Russian Roulette with an eye to 100% certainty of survival, I will inspect each chamber of the revolver to make certain no cartridge rounds are there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I see my hand surgeon in two weeks, gonna ask her what she thinks about blister care.
My friends dad is a retired surgeon in La Coruna. I'm going to ask him too. And for good measure I'm going to ask my family doctor his advice.
This Old Man is taking no chances lol

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
None at all, as it is the best way to get an infection. To drain the blister just make a very small cut 1-2mm with a disinfected nail scissor, having the skin disinfected also previously, drain with a sterile gauze applying pressure and put a band aid or a compress pack (folding a sterile gauze) and tape it well. Buen Camino, SY

PS The hardy ones that can stand the pain and are NOT ALLERGIC to iodine NOR have thyroid issues can also fill the blister, after draining with Iodine (creme).
I like the iodine idea. A little pain for peace of mind

.....if you do choose to thread use a cotton thread, disinfect / sterilise the blister area including the needle and thread, hands with alcohol which you can buy in most grocery type and chemist stores in Spain. You can buy very small spray bottles maybe 100 mls which you can pour the alcohol into which makes it easy to apply and carry. Do apply iodine/ betadine type ointment over the area after "surgery" and a clean dressing of course.

You may want to tie the ends of the thread together once it has gone thru the blister to form a loop so it won't come out. Keep the area clean by spraying the area often with alcohol and applying fresh ointment. The alcohol is most effective if it is diluted to 70% alcohol 30% water.

That is what I did last year on the CF and will do again this year if needed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I too have used the thread method with cotton thread, Betadine swabbing the entire area, alcohol on the thread and needle. Clean dressing. Compeed once the blister has drained. It is an effective method if done properly.
Then again, I also had to cut into a blister to drain it. Once I got my insole/boot malfunction corrected, no more blisters, thank God.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Just another case of DIY (do it yourself) trick.

If it works for you, go ahead. Thousands and thousands of people have been doing it for years.

Science or experience?

Anyway, no matter if you open your blisters or not, no matter how you do it (or not), keep your skin the cleanest you can, and make sure you are well hydrated and nourished.

And as for the OP question: cotton.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Exactly what I do on the rare occecions I get a blister. Especially the Iodine. Actually it was a Spaninsh hospital doctor who taught me this in Merida. He also said "NEVER use Compeed!"

On my first camino, I threaded my blisters and put the thread and needle through iodine first. I threaded them overnight not while walking. The threading continually drained the blister allowing the top layers of skin to reseal with the lower layers. The cotton gauze touching the thread was wet in the morning. -- My second camino, my shoes fit with plenty of toe room; I had only one blister and just drained it at night without threading. --

As a scoutmaster who hikes with 11-18 year olds, blisters happen. Usually, because the boys' feet have outgrown their shoes/boots. On these short hikes (two to four days), I would never thread. In fact, the scout advice is not to drain either, but simply stop putting pressure on these areas until the foot heals.

The question is, what do you do when you have to walk the next day and can't stop for a few days? Building a high protective wall of moleskin around the blister is an option, but often results in the foot rubbing in a different place and creating a new blister, or cramping the toes. On my first camino, I foolishly cut my shoe insert's toe section off to make more room for my toes. I ended up with blisters on the balls of my feet, where the insert ended. (I didn't buy a new pair in Astorga because I thought my feet would toughen up. Mistake!) So I ended up threading-- using antiseptic.

I think the best thing to do with blisters is to stop and buy another pair of shoes that fit your feet. Take out the shoe's sole insert, place your foot on it and see if your foot fits on it. Many women are used to their feet being supported by the shoe, that is to say, scrunched on the outside tucking the little toe in. You should be able to move your toes and use your whole foot to walk. Make sure you have a big toe box, consider getting a men's shoe that are built with bigger toe boxes and wider width. Also! Your feet will getting more muscular as well as swelling during the day. Consider buying a new pair in the middle of your camino-- say in Leon, Astorga, or Burgos.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Why not use compeed?
It encloses bacteria as well as prevents drying out the blister, according to the doctor. Makes it last longer and getting worse.

Edit: I have tried Compeed in my earlier walks. I consider it the "blister treatment from Hell". :mad:

Last edited:
Compeed's meant to be used before the blister's open, even if it's possible, before the blister appears.

The problem's that many people doesn't know it and uses it wrongly.

It encloses bacteria as well as prevents drying out the blister, according to the doctor. Makes it last longer and getting worse.

Edit: I have tried Compeed in my earlier walks. I consider it the "blister treatment form Hell".

What about using compeed just during the day while walking, and then taking it off asap at the days end?

I do think there is a huge temptation to just leave the blisters wrapped up even at the end of the day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As a wilderness medic I treat hundreds of wildland firefighters with blisters each fire season. I use Medipoint "Splinter Out" sterile lancets ($5.42 /20 on Amazon) to drain blisters after a thorough cleansing. They are very light, compact, sterile and individually wrapped. Please dispose of in a safe manner.

Compeed's meant to be used before the blister's open, even if it's possible, before the blister appears.
Compeeds are expensive, so I don't think that I'd use one as a prophylactic. Some tape, hikers wool, etc., would be useful there.

What about using compeed just during the day while walking, and then taking it off asap at the days end?
Don't ever try to remove one before it's ready to come off - you'll rip the skin off with it.
Here's an article about how Compeed works, and how to use it: http://www.explainthatstuff.com/blisterplaster.html

Compeeds are expensive, so I don't think that I'd use one as a prophylactic. Some tape, hikers wool, etc., would be useful there.

Don't ever try to remove one before it's ready to come off - you'll rip the skin off with it.
Here's an article about how Compeed works, and how to use it: http://www.explainthatstuff.com/blisterplaster.html
Compeed is one of the axis of evil for pilgrims, IMHO.

Edit: I have treated myself (and several other pilgrims with BIG blister problems) like Syates said:

1. Disinfect everything.
2. Drain the blister (No thread!)
3. Apply Iodine (Betadine in Spain)
4. Tape on a sterile pad that allows good airing to dry it all up.

Repeat 3-4 if needed until you are good to go.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a wilderness medic I treat hundreds of wildland firefighters with blisters each fire season. I use Medipoint "Splinter Out" sterile lancets ($5.42 /20 on Amazon) to drain blisters after a thorough cleansing. They are very light, compact, sterile and individually wrapped. Please dispose of in a safe manner.

These sound perfect for the job - thanks for the good advice, and welcome.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As a medic I just can't see the logic in leaving a thread in a blister. It just serves as a pathway andbreak in the skin for germs to get in and it is usually the germs that live naturally and happily on your own skin that will cause any infection in blisters.
The advice proferred by alexwalker, S Yates and mal oso all seem fine to me ie treating the blister in an aseptic manner. Of course many people will treat the blister with a thread and be fine but I suspect if anyone did a trial with hundreds of people comparing thread vs not then infection rates would be a little higher in the thread group.
And as Mike says prevention is much better than cure.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What kind of huge bodkin were you thinking of taking? I just put a darning needle on my scales and it didn't even register! Can we conclude that you don't often darn your own socks? :cool:
I would think the plastic case the needles & thread came in is most of the weight. A loose needle in my backpack is not a good idea lol
I've never darned anything. I have attempted it, with bad results lol

What kind of huge bodkin were you thinking of taking? I just put a darning needle on my scales and it didn't even register! Can we conclude that you don't often darn your own socks? :cool:

We avidly followed your latest walk and just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for all the information you have shared. Our packs are lighter and our concerns are lessened because of you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
:mad: Don't even go there. It's an inherently dirty practice. Nylon wouldn't work, because it wouldn't create the wicking effect that is the aim of the 'procedure'. Just sterilise a needle with a lighter and drain the blister, or even better, as @Charles Zammit recently advised, buy a sterile needle from a pharmacy.
First, agreed. Putting thread in a popped blister is suicide. S Yates writes about this in her book. Super fast way to get an infection.

May I humbly weigh in on this topic? I did get a slight blister- small on the side of my heel. I looked up on the internet medical sites and they say do not drain or puncture the blister (unless it is on the bottom of your foot - a walking surface). A new layer of skin grows under the blister and the sealed blister keeps it clean from infection. I knew from a recent dermatologist visit that for a cut or open wound, the best thing to do is clean it daily and put a dab of antibiotic ointment on it- even vaseline is very good, cover it with a band-air or dressing and change it every day.

So I cleaned the outside of my unpunctured blister with alcohol, and covered it with Compeed. Yes - really. I'm not recommending this though. What Compeed does is cover the blister with a plastic protector so you can keep on hiking. Compeed instructions say the blister will heal in a few days. This is a tiny blister, so I thought - okay, I'll try it. Yes, Compeed worked -for the moment- I could continue hiking in comfort because the plastic shield eliminated abrasion to the area. Problem is you cannot remove it because it will rip open the blister. You are able to shower with it on, no problem. Three days later, my blister is quadrupled in size, now a for real blister. I am very concerned. So at this point, I gently remove the Compeed, and of course tear open the blister. Great.

I then used antibiotic ointment to keep the open wound clean, covered it with a band-aid type dressing, and over that I put a layer of moleskin padding so I could walk. I changed this dressing every day. The blister healed slowly and without much pain.

So my advice is not to pop the blister, but let it heal by covering it with a protective antibiotic ointment or vaseline, and a band-aid. Cover that with a moleskin pad and keep hiking. If it pops on its own, fine, continue this practice. I would only use Compeed if I knew my hike was coming to an end in two days, and I would be home to wear sandals all the time and care for the blister.

Last advice about prevention. I was shocked and ashamed to even get a blister. Angry at myself. But here's the discovery. Perfect socks and perfect broken-in shoes are not enough. Your feet sweat more than you are used to, and the moisture is what gives you a blister in a half an hour! Advice is to stop every four hours of hiking, and air your feet and let your socks dry in the sun. After the blister -I also started using Sportslick or you can use vaseline to give your feet a light coating. I did that AFTER my blister incident, and I was fine the rest of the trip.

People here in this forum talk about using vaseline or other balms to prevent blisters, and I should have taken this advice. I learned the hard way that it is true - a light coating on your feet helps prevent blisters. It also does not allow super-tiny particles of debris which gets into your shoes to stick and cause abrasion that you don't even notice until it is too late.

This was a long message and I apologize for that, but it's another opinion simply based upon what worked for me.

Thanks to all who contribute on this topic, and Buen Camino!
Mike

I mainly agree with your well thought out post other than one point. I would not advocate the use of topical antibiotics. There is little evidence they reduce the incidence of infection significantly and more importantly this type of use contributes to an increase in antibiotic resistance

I mainly agree with your well thought out post other than one point. I would not advocate the use of topical antibiotics. There is little evidence they reduce the incidence of infection significantly and more importantly this type of use contributes to an increase in antibiotic resistance

Absolutely correct and couldn't agree more! Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can't vouch for the needle and thread method, but can highly recommend stamping (accidentally) on blistered foot, thereby causing one's wife to squeal with pain before realising that it was just what was needed to start the healing process. Both foot and marriage healed over the next couple of days!

I have had an infected foot (not from threading, I will emphasise). I had to take 4 days rest and go to the doctor every day. I had to take mega antibiotics for 2 weeks. It wasn't nice. So when old men (and it is always old men) tell me to thread my blisters, I really want to tell them to f**k off.
Well! As an old man I am deeply offended. I don't offer advice bvut personally believe in prevention over treatment. So, there!

Around our house you are known as the "Camino Goddess". As a fellow RN I salute you for your sage advice and puckish wit. I look forward to walking in your footsteps.
I, for one, would be somewhat fearful to have a "bad bear" walking in my footsteps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well! As an old man I am deeply offended. I don't offer advice bvut personally believe in prevention over treatment. So, there!
So I'm not the only one who feels patronised!? I do occasionally feel marginalised on this forum and don't post as often as I used to. Prevention - absolutely right, otherwise habits are permitted to take hold. Asceticism, just another tedious habit IMHO, tends to become fetishised by some on this forum, it seems to me. Pain and discomfort are sometimes regarded as "holy" I guess. What a lot of BS. There are better ways to seek "holiness". Taking care of one's body and one's psyche, for instance, in order to keep distractions at bay in order to experience immense beauty more unencumbered. The older one gets, the more wounded one can become, so the deeper one digs, the richer and more precious are the discoveries.

Buen Camino, see you out there - Mike

Instead of even trying that procedure, have you considered using Compeed, following the directions provided? They did wonders for me. Also, it may be too late now, but are your boots at least 1 size larger than you usually wear? Good luck!

Instead of even trying that procedure, have you considered using Compeed, following the directions provided? They did wonders for me. Also, it may be too late now, but are your boots at least 1 size larger than you usually wear? Good luck!
It seems to me that larger boots could lead to friction and be a contributing cause of blisters. My boots fit perfectly and my one pair of well-padded, comfy socks don't make them tight. My feet don't move in my boots, strong structure around my ankles stops my feet from sliding forward during descents so my toes don't get jammed, also less likelihood of overall friction. Skin which is prone to shearing is a major, much neglected causative factor re blisters, IMHO, so the interplay of other factors is difficult to ascertain for each individual. ( PLEASE Google "skin shear, blisters") BUT, I feel sure that footwear choice is a major factor. Very many posts on this forum are about footwear choice, which often seems to mean comfort over function. Softer "boots" allow movement therefore abrasion which can lead to blisters, it seems to me. I wear "old-fashioned", relatively stiffly structured boots. But this topic is a can of worms and the discussion goes on and on and round and round.

I walked 800kms last year and never got a single blister. And I'm never posting about this topic again.

EDIT: I walked and will always walk in the cooler months so less chance of sweating and swelling. This was a deliberate choice re moisture, etc. re potential blisters.

It seems to me that larger boots could lead to friction and be a contributing cause of blisters. My boots fit perfectly and my one pair of well-padded, comfy socks don't make them tight. My feet don't move in my boots, strong structure around my ankles stops my feet from sliding forward during descents, so also less likelihood of overall friction and my toes don't get jammed. Skin which is prone to shearing is a major, much neglected causative factor re blisters, IMHO, so the interplay of other factors is difficult to understand. ( PLEASE Google "skin shear, blisters") BUT, I feel sure that footwear is a major factor. Very many posts on this forum are about footwear choice, which often seems to mean comfort over function. Softer "boots" allow movement therefore abrasion which can lead to blisters, it seems to me. But this topic is a can of worms and the discussion goes on and on and round and round.

I walked 800kms last year and never got a single blister. And I'm never posting about this topic again.

For me, because my feet tend to spread out as the day goes on, and because I use thick SmartWool socks, I have used Keene boots that are a full size larger than I usually wear. I've done 2 Caminos with 2 pairs of said boots and had blisters only once...because my insert had a "wrinkle" in it. The Compeed was perfect. Just like the Camino itself is different for everyone, so is how we deal with "stuff" as it happens.

For me, because my feet tend to spread out as the day goes on, and because I use thick SmartWool socks, I have used Keene boots that are a full size larger than I usually wear. I've done 2 Caminos with 2 pairs of said boots and had blisters only once...because my insert had a "wrinkle" in it. The Compeed was perfect. Just like the Camino itself is different for everyone, so is how we deal with "stuff" as it happens.

Just an experience to add. I started the first camino following advice of high shoes which are rather stiff. I got problem in the feets. Afterward, I bought small shoes and larger than my feet to accomodate the swelling of the feets. I also got good socks that I change every day. I did not had problem for the last 4 camino. I think the soft lower shoes adapt to the feets when walking since they can bend and are flexible; so this limits the friction and the heating of the feet, so limiting the blister.
Good camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Absolutely correct and couldn't agree more! Buen Camino, SY
Agreed. In fact my dermatologist told me to use only vaseline to keep a wound clean. And in fact I did this at home with a cut and it was perfect and healed nicely without a scar.

On the Camino, however, I was scared, to be honest, and panicked so bought antibiotic ointment at a pharmacy and used that. It was a knee-jerk reaction, yes, and at home I would try vaseline only first.

So I'd agree with cleaning the wound or open blister with antiseptic (Yates - I know you love iodine) and then using a dab of vaseline over it with a band-aid changing daily. Moleskin over that will help prevent friction on that sensitive area.

Mike

I'm not offended but I'm definitely put off by old man this & old man that BS. It's derogatory, plain & simple. Not that I care. I believe in free speech.
Some of these young folks act like they will never get old. Hopefully they will.
It's impossible to replace experience with education.
I'm curious who these young folks would choose to do surgery if they blow their knee out.
The 60 year old man Doctor whose operated 5,000 times or the sharp young kid doing his 10th surgery lol

I'm not offended but I'm definitely put off by old man this & old man that BS. It's derogatory, plain & simple. Not that I care. I believe in free speech.
Some of these young folks act like they will never get old. Hopefully they will.
It's impossible to replace experience with education.
I'm curious who these young folks would choose to do surgery if they blow their knee out.
The 60 year old man Doctor whose operated 5,000 times or the sharp young kid doing his 10th surgery lol
Whenever I travel by air I prefer my pilots to have wrinkles and gray hair.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Speaking as a card carrying member of the Curmudgeon Club I would like to point out to my fellow silver backs that experience does indeed matter, but so does the willingness to learn new ways of doing things. In medicine, for example, every five years or so you find out that a previous "best practice" was either ineffective or doing actual harm. It keeps you humble, which is a good approach to life and learning new things. Like having a 12 year old show you how to use your new cellphone. Peace.

Exactly what I do on the rare occecions I get a blister. Especially the Iodine. Actually it was a Spaninsh hospital doctor who taught me this in Merida. He also said "NEVER use Compeed!"
I used Compeed on hot spots a few times before any blister had formed. It soothed the area and stayed on in the shower. After two days I'd remove the Compeed and miaculously...no hot spot, no blister. I loved the stuff! It worked for me every time.

I have had very good luck with using Compeed, but only on hot spots before a real blister would form. I agree with your logic in not using it on a full blown blister. I've also had good results with duct tape on hot spots. Definately cheaper. I just roll a couple of feet around a pen to bring.

I've read the opposite: http://www.mdedge.com/jfponline/art.../do-topical-antibiotics-improve-wound-healing

I live in a place with a fair amount of staph in the soil and water, and doctors still recommend over-the-counter antibiotic creams as the first line of defense at the first sign of any symptoms.

I understand concerns about increased antibiotic resistance, but untreated wounds can lead to worse infections that require stronger antibiotics. And I'm speaking from experience here.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just got back from the Camino and was plagued with multiple double layer blisters. This was my experience and the method I used To finally dry out my blisters. This may not work for everyone .

Best Method - archaic by some comments
Method 1: pushing a threaded needle through the blister

I pushed a threaded needle through the blister and left it to drain. However, before doing this I took care to sterilise the needle first, cleaned the blistered area with antiseptic, betadine the thread throughout before inserting it through the blister. After the procedure , I sterilised the wound and left it open at night.

No showers in the morning, dab antiseptic cream on the area and plastered it for the walk. At night I would clean the wound and leave it open. This was repeated until it dried out.

The thread was left in and never removed until the blister area had healed and dried up.

Method 2
No puncturing, just apply compeed.
This by far was the worst. I walked through a lot of pain and at the end of the day discovered that my blister had quadrupled in size. I couldn't remove the pad and basically had to push a needle through the compeed to puncture the blister to alleviate the pain. This had to be repeated daily until the compeed fell off. I was left with a super thick skin with blisters underneath.

Method 3
Puncture the blister to drain and apply antiseptic. Tried both compeeding and plastering the wound.This didn't work for me as the area kept forming a blister daily without drying out. I also developed a thick skin over the wound with a blister underneath the layer.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.