• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yes, another thread on snoring!

Time of past OR future Camino
So I set out on my first day and hauled my bottom up the hill to Valcarlos. Felt I had done well and dragged in after 4 hours of walking. Introduced myself to my fellow albergue pilgrims then promptly passed out on my bunk. I thought I heard giggling in my sleep but figured I was dreaming. Until I woke up that is and discovered I had been snoring! YES SNORING! And I DONT snore!! It appears I have saved up a lifetime of unknown, surpressed inward desire to begin snoring. And set it free when I hit an albergues! Sigh. Tent anyone?? Lol.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So I set out on my first day and hauled my bottom up the hill to Valcarlos. Felt I had done well and dragged in after 4 hours of walking. Introduced myself to my fellow albergue pilgrims then promptly passed out on my bunk. I thought I heard giggling in my sleep but figured I was dreaming. Until I woke up that is and discovered I had been snoring! YES SNORING! And I DONT snore!! It appears I have saved up a lifetime of unknown, surpressed inward desire to begin snoring. And set it free when I hit an albergues! Sigh. Tent anyone??
Hy , give your fellow pilgrims earplugs and the problem is solved. Hi ,hi !!! I wish you a Buen Camino ,Peter.

I would guess many previously non-snorers may join the snoring club on the Camino simply due to being totally exhausted. Or maybe it's that extra glass or three of wine....

I would like to take this opportunity to remind pilgrims that some of us who stay in private rooms at albergues or in one star hotels do so to protect the innocent from our snoring. I would love to stay in albergues like the rest of you but I want to live through the night. So instead, I segregate myself away from everyone else. So the next time you see someone checking into a hotel along the Camino, don't think less of them because they are not a "real" pilgrim. It might be me saving you from a sleepless night.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I talked in my sleep one night while staying in an albergue last summer while walking the Camino. It was loud enough that I woke myself up. A municipal albergue with about 30 other peregrinos in the room. No idea what I said in my sleep, but the next morning the pilgrim who was in the bunk below me said I was talking for some time. Yikes....

I would like to take this opportunity to remind pilgrims that some of us who stay in private rooms at albergues or in one star hotels do so to protect the innocent from our snoring. Would I like to stay in open bay albergues? Yes. But I want to live through the night. So instead, I segregate myself away from everyone else. So the next time you see someone checking into a hotel along the Camino, don't think less of them because they are not a "real" pilgrim. It might be me saving you from a sleepless night.
That was most generous. I take the view that albergues are for all pilgrims, and if you are intolerant of what is relatively natural and almost normal behaviour like snoring, it is up to you to resolve the issue by seeking out more private accommodation.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind pilgrims that some of us who stay in private rooms at albergues or in one star hotels do so to protect the innocent from our snoring. Would I like to stay in open bay albergues? Yes. But I want to live through the night. So instead, I segregate myself away from everyone else. So the next time you see someone checking into a hotel along the Camino, don't think less of them because they are not a "real" pilgrim. It might be me saving you from a sleepless night.

I wish I could give you 100 likes for this post! Plus you are leaving an albergue bed free for a pilgrim that, perhaps, can't afford a hostal or similar. So double Thank You! SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So I set out on my first day and hauled my bottom up the hill to Valcarlos. Felt I had done well and dragged in after 4 hours of walking. Introduced myself to my fellow albergue pilgrims then promptly passed out on my bunk. I thought I heard giggling in my sleep but figured I was dreaming. Until I woke up that is and discovered I had been snoring! YES SNORING! And I DONT snore!! It appears I have saved up a lifetime of unknown, surpressed inward desire to begin snoring. And set it free when I hit an albergues! Sigh. Tent anyone??
One of our favorite fellow pilgrims was known to all of us as the "Snorker". A German pilgrim I walked with commented that his snoring shook the bead and that he was not just a snoring machine -- he was an entire snoring factory! Try changing your sleeping position if you can (side not back)... but really -- its human. Buen Camino. Liz

Don't worry too much about it.
I know one woman who left the Camino because someone teased her about her snoring.
Hand them some earplugs, and keep going.
They'll get over it or they'll hire a private room.
I can't sleep if someone is snoring BUT like Falcon says, I've awakened myself ... SNORING!
So now I just get a private room when I can.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don't worry too much about it.
I know one woman who left the Camino because someone teased her about her snoring.
Hand them some earplugs, and keep going.
They'll get over it or they'll hire a private room.
I can't sleep if someone is snoring BUT like Falcon says, I've awakened myself ... SNORING!
So now I just get a private room when I can.

Aww that's too bad that she gave up her entire camino. Hopefully she will try again some day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Seriously, you could even wrap them up nicely and put a flower picked on the way, through the ribbon! That will soften people's hearts! SY

Ok, I snore sometimes and I have come to find out I can snore quite loud after some cheese and a few glasses of wine which, rumor has it, is in abundance on the Camino. I have trouble when others snore so I have ear plugs or I find some music from my ipad through earbuds gives a nice "buenas noches nos de' Dios" . I plan to snore (can't help it) and expect others to snore when I begin my Camino on April 3... it's part of the experience :) I like the idea of getting extra earplugs to pass around but really, with all the prep videos recommending it I can't imagine anyone starting the the walk without having brought some earplugs!

Last edited:
Seriously, you could even wrap them up nicely and put a flower picked on the way, through the ribbon! That will soften people's hearts! SY

Such a lovely idea!
I actually went out and bought my new friends some chocolate! Hopefully they won't all be throwing it back at me by morning! Lol.
Nite all :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
[QUOTE="karenfromcali, post: 272817, member: 37836"......................".....Until I woke up that is and discovered I had been snoring! YES SNORING! And I DONT snore!! It appears I have saved up a lifetime of unknown, surpressed inward desire to begin snoring. And set it free when I hit an albergues! [/QUOTE]

Glory be to your new found ability to express yourself so individually

Buen (sleep deprivation for your fellow pilgrims) Camino

Have you ever thought that taking a private room at the pension that's too close to the albergue might "not work"? ;):D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I talked in my sleep one night while staying in an albergue last summer while walking the Camino. It was loud enough that I woke myself up. A municipal albergue with about 30 other peregrinos in the room. No idea what I said in my sleep, but the next morning the pilgrim who was in the bunk below me said I was talking for some time. Yikes....
On my first Camino (2009) I stayed in private albergue in Uterga with my mother. In the morning everybody were smiling at me and nodding in kind of understanding... I've had no idea what was that all about. I thought it was about my snoring, but later that day my mom told me that now everybody knows my girlfriends name - Monika..., auch :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've posted this some time ago in different thread.
I am a snorer also, but other snorers don't annoy me or even deprive me of my sleep when (and that's the usual) I get to bed as the last one in albergue. What I do is to really relax once lying in bed, get the control over my breathing and I listen and concentrate to the loudest snorer. First few minutes I'm chuckling because I can find all sorts of musical inspirations in it and later on I kind of follow his/her snoring=breathing and synchronize it with mine. In matter of minutes I'm asleep. Try it, maybe it will help.

Buenas noches ;)

"Snoring" is a very generic definition. This is an obviously incomplete and unscientific classification, made in many hours of sleepless nights:
* The classical. The sawing logs type.
* The musical. They play musical scales as virtuosos, generally in C-major. I actually like them, especially when there are many.
* The dramatic. They seem to stop breathing many seconds, then (when you start trying to remember the Spanish version of 911) there is a kind of snoring explosion. And again, and again.
* The poetic. This snore is slow, quiet, like the murmur of a source.
* The shy and discreet. There are snorers that wake up themselves, and seem very embarrassed. They drink a sip of water, try to adopt another position, etc. To no avail, obviously.
Actually, when I come back home, the first nights I sometimes wake up, startled, in the middle of the night. So much silence is really disturbing....
I miss the reassuring sound of my dear fellow snorers.

There is snoring and then there is snoring. I suspect that most people snore for a while, in certain positions, occasionally. There are those however who through sheer volume challenge even the best earplugs. If you know that you are one of the elite; consideration would dictate that if there is an easy way to spare your fellow pilgrims (such as a separate room) then it is the kind thing to do.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is snoring and then there is snoring. I suspect that most people snore for a while, in certain positions, occasionally. There are those however who through sheer volume challenge even the best earplugs. If you know that you are one of the elite; consideration would dictate that if there is an easy way to spare your fellow pilgrims (such as a separate room) then it is the kind thing to do.
Quite. And sometimes even separate rooms are no remedy:
True tale: In an albergue which had a few small rooms with 3-4 beds. Here I was, in a room with the door closed - the other chap in another room across the hallway, also with door closed. Plus I had good earplugs --- and i and everyone else STILL could hear him snore. Merciless. And truly exasperating. Next morning I asked the wife how she would get any sleep - and she answered with a BIG sigh: i just love him. --- but also added that their kids moved to another floor within their home because they couldn't get sleep either.
Some snorers are of industrial sized noise and volume.
wish i knew of a solution. Mine was imperfect but worked: that the next day I made sure I was either walking slower or faster than them whenever i saw them, to avoid a repeat of that nightly performance (by staying at the same albergue/accommodation)
So true - there is snoring, and there is S-N-O-RRRRRR-I-N-G
maybe i ought to buy stocks in a company that does research in ear-plug improvements? :eek::oops:o_O

In Wisconsin, we have something known as deer camp. just basically 10 guys in a small cabin. A lot of wood gets cut at night. Every once in awhile with the recipe of exhaustion and a little alcohol I might even join them.

I am holding judgement on the Camino to see which one is more challenging. hopefully I am already well conditioned to it.

In Wisconsin, we have something known as deer camp. just basically 10 guys in a small cabin. A lot of wood gets cut at night. Every once in awhile with the recipe of exhaustion and a little alcohol I might even join them.

I am holding judgement on the Camino to see which one is more challenging. hopefully I am already well conditioned to it.
you attended a perfect 'boot camp' - and seem supremely 'equipped' for the camino version of 'deer camp' :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A cacophony of snoring shouldn't bother other Peregrinos if they're doing their camino correctly. They should be so exhausted by the time they hit their bunks that a thunderstorm shouldn't wake them. :rolleyes:

You will do fine then in the "Camino Oh Dear!" camp :rolleyes: SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A cacophony of snoring shouldn't bother other Peregrinos if they're doing their camino correctly. They should be so exhausted by the time they hit their bunks that a thunderstorm shouldn't wake them. :rolleyes:

That is me every night. Once I fall asleep, I am out for the night. I was actually camping near railroad tracks once when I was younger. Next day, everyone was complaining about the train that went through that night and woke them up. I said "What train?" :confused:

I'm used to it. You should hear my dog. :rolleyes:

. . . . he was not just a snoring machine -- he was an entire snoring factory! Try changing your sleeping position if you can (side not back)... but really -- its human. Buen Camino. Liz

When I stayed in Lorossona, I think I had the honor to stay in the same room with a couple who had won the French National Pairs Snoring Championship at one time. ;)

I'm afraid that I snore also (just ask my wife), but I do my best to sleep on my stomach with my face buried in the pillow to minimize it and am grateful when someone wakes me to have me turn over.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was actually camping near railroad tracks once when I was younger. Next day, everyone was complaining about the train that went through that night and woke them up. I said "What train?"

I grew up next to the railroad tracks and when we had people visit, they would ask: "Did you hear that train last night?" And I would ask "What train?" And they would reply, "The one that came through the house!"

I grew up next to the railroad tracks and when we had people visit, they would ask: "Did you hear that train last night?" And I would ask "What train?" And they would reply, "The one that came through the house!"
And that was you? "Came" through the house...
:p

Quite. And sometimes even separate rooms are no remedy:[/QUOTE
Very true, in Casa Garcia, in Gonzar, one of my fellow walking companions opted for a private room to get a better night sleep: turns out he got the amplied snoring noise from the rest of us a floor below ;0)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There must be something about the Camino that converts non snorers into snorers. Well they do say the Camino brings about life changes in the most unexpected of ways.

I too am a non snorer who started snoring on the Camino and my wife would prod me awake afew first and tell me to shut up as I was being so noisy. She soon stopped though when I recorded her, also a non snorer off the Camino, snoring loudly and played it back to her the next morning.

I snort every now and then but it always wakes me up after the first booming inhalation. Worse for me (or more accurately the guy in the bunk below me) on the last Camino were my leg cramps. I guess the cramps entered my sub-consciousness and therefore my dreams. I thought I was being beaten on my legs and I vicously and repeatedly kicked back at my attacker.... When the guy below me finally got me awake, I was still kicking the baseboard so hard that my bunkmate was afraid the bed would collapse. Everyone else in the room was ei5her laughing on looking on in horror. Oops. Two nights later in a private room, I had the same dream. I ended up kicking my wife so hard that she had a massive bruise and I thought for several weeks that I broke some of my own toes. Next Tim, I'm tying my feet together.

€149,-
A less brutal and more helpful solution might be to eat more bananas, helps with the leg cramps :rolleyes: Buen Camino! SY
I understand dark chocolate is another good source of magnesium. I am at least prepared to believe that even if it's not true, it always seems to make me feel much better!

Minor edit 23 Feb 15.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would like to take this opportunity to remind pilgrims that some of us who stay in private rooms at albergues or in one star hotels do so to protect the innocent from our snoring. I would love to stay in albergues like the rest of you but I want to live through the night. So instead, I segregate myself away from everyone else. So the next time you see someone checking into a hotel along the Camino, don't think less of them because they are not a "real" pilgrim. It might be me saving you from a sleepless night.

One of the main reasons I won't be staying in Albergues. I'm told I could snore for Australia!

This was very funny and you people make me laugh I do hope all the people on the Camino this summer have a sense of humor like all of you; because when I talk no one hears me and I am always told to speak up: but my Youngest son tells me when I fall asleep, that my snoring shakes the house, that it is so loud he said they can't get to sleep even though their bed room is at the far end of the house, a way from where I am. They are amazed that I don't wake up the kids. Well I was offended and didn't believe them so I typed my self when I fell asleep and well... yup I snore I was a bit worried about falling asleep in the hostel for fear of finding myself waking up out side.

This was very funny and you people make me laugh I do hope all the people on the Camino this summer have a sense of humor like all of you; because when I talk no one hears me and I am always told to speak up: but my Youngest son tells me when I fall asleep, that my snoring shakes the house, that it is so loud he said they can't get to sleep even though their bed room is at the far end of the house, a way from where I am. They are amazed that I don't wake up the kids. Well I was offended and didn't believe them so I typed my self when I fell asleep and well... yup I snore I was a bit worried about falling asleep in the hostel for fear of finding myself waking up out side.
Hola, Georgina,

Usually I point out that I'm a snorer (roncador in Spanish, or roncadora for female) when checking into albergue because when the place isn't really packed hospitaleros might put (self-declared) snorers into one dormitory. Last year in Albergue Paraiso de Jesus in Vilar de Mazarife I was first told (very seriously) by hospitalera that this isn't really my problem and it's all part of pilgrimage. In the end she send me to a little detached room with king-size bed which was usually reserved for couples but as I was almost the last one to come in the afternoon I got lucky ;)

Ultreia!

Two years ago I was in the Muni at Villafranca. They have a snorers room. I was enjoying an afternoon can of rehydration with 3 friends when someone we knew arrived. After suffering this champion snorer since Astorga we saw the chance to get a nights sleep at last and mentioned his snoring to the hospitalero who directed him to the appropriate room. Unfortunately somehow or other he ended up in our room! The next day in the Muni at O'Cebriero he was at the other end of the vast dorm but I could still identify his snoring. The next day, determined to loose him I walked 37k to San Mahmed to avoid him and enjoyed the best nights sleep in 5 days.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back