Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yes, I really want your experienced Primitivo/Hospitales input...

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
Hi All! Lord willing, my guy and I will be in Spain for 6 weeks. Our purpose is two-fold...

1. We plan to walk the majority of Coastal "Norte", probably into Oviedo. After this, we'll likely get ourselves to Ferrol and walk the (old) Inglés into SDC. I'm SUPER EXCITED ABOUT it being my 2nd Camino!!!

2. Focusing on the North of Spain (Asturias and Galicia) in looking at the potential to buy a home with our Realtor (our retirement time is here). We're hoping to be close to a route so that we can open our home and give a bed to 4 or so Peregrinos, when we can. Not even thinking about running an Albergue and all the work that goes with it!

What I'd LUV to hear about, from those who have walked these two routes is:
On the Norte and on the Primitivo, where (what towns) do you see the need for a few more beds???

Also, If you Camino on either of these two routes would you be willing to let me know if you see something in habitable shape for sale (se vende)???

We're going to be looking at what's available from Ferrol to SDC while on Camino Inglés.

Many thanks in advance and, of course...BUEN CAMINO!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
R&C. Good for you! I went to the alberque in Friol in septembwr 17,and it was almost full,and was told that things were slowing down. I anticipate more traffic on the verde will make other beds necessary. Friol is in the middle of nowhere,so this can be a good thing or a bad thing,depending on you. The only other place was Grado,where many were turned away by early afternoon at the alberque.

R AND C, Also more beds needed in bodenaya,as David had to turn many away at his wonderful place.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, we met on the Portuguese Way just after Ponte de Lima!
In 2017 I walked the English way from Ferrol, we had been in Oviedo and decided to take the narrow gauge railway from Oviedo to Ferrol, Feve Renfe, longer than the bus about 7 hours if I remember, but a great journey through the mountains and along the coast. take a picnic for the journey and enjoy.
Remember in Spain you can get Tarajeta Dorada annual card for the railways if you are over 60, collect at any station for 6 euros and you get discount for each trip made.
Have a great time in your six weeks in Spain. Dave

Two years ago when I was on the Norte, I jotted down reactions to your question for another friend who was scouting out albergue places (these guys went elsewhere, and in fact should be announcing and opening their choice very soon ;)). These were my suggestions:

Soto de Luina has only a public albergue and hotels. I got a cheap tourist apartment there, but a private albergue would probably do well, especially since what is a “cheap tourist apartment” in early summer, is a very expensive tourist apartment in high season. I did not stay in the public albergue, but heard mixed reviews.

Ribadesella is another place with albergues lacking. There is an albergue juvenil in a beautiful building on the shore, and one of the hotels in town does have something for pilgrims, but a lot of people wind up spending money in beach hotels.

Ribadeo might be another place. The public albergue is not in town.

What I found on the Norte, particularly after the Oviedo turnoff in Villaviciosa, was that the rural areas have an ample supply of albergues, but it’s the larger places that are lacking. Well I guess Soto de Luina is not exactly a “larger place.” But it is pretty clearly a stopping point for most people on the Norte, whether they do the high route or the low route.

Good luck with this, sounds like a wonderful decision to be able to make. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, we met on the Portuguese Way just after Ponte de Lima! Dave
DAVE, JUST DAVE!!! BUDDY, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! I am THRILLED to finally reconnect with you. I have a photo of you and the Australian and "Socrates" (Italiano) that I want to send to you.

"...Tarajeta Dorada..." thank you for this important bit of info, too!

€83,-
Two years ago when I was on the Norte, I jotted down reactions to your question for another friend who was scouting out albergue places (these guys went elsewhere, and in fact should be announcing and opening their choice very soon ;)). These were my suggestions:
Buen camino, Laurie
LUV this, Laurie!!! Thank you, so much!~

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.