• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yesss booked ticket and arrive in Biarritz april 30. Can I book a flight back during walking?

Yellowfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto- Santiago / Fisterra- Muxia sept 2016
SJPP- Santiago may 2017planninh
Hi,
I like not to book a flight back to Holland before leaving, because that gives me more freedom . I also can go back by train. Is it possible to do it this way ?
Thank you all, I am so looking forward to it : ))
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sure, I did so in 2014. The longer you wait the more expensive flights can become. If you take bus or train 1-2 weeks beforehand should be sufficient. Buen Camino, SY

Sure you can. Vueling from instance has some very good rates from SdC via Barcelona to Brussels. They have a nice booking app for a smartphone.
I believe Ryanair has direct flights from SdC to Holland but I don't use Ryanair anymore because of their weird policy.

Also Eurolines bus from SdC to Holland is an option...a long and tiring option though. I believe almost 24 hours drive.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes. My recommendation is that you don't leave it to the last minute, but start looking for suitable flights and fares when you have a pretty good idea when you will finish - perhaps a week of so out from your forecast departure date.

You can just go to the station or the RENFE office at the pilgrim office when you arrive. Or, if you are not in a hurry, you can take a bus or train to El Ferrol and use the narrow gauge train to the French border ( two and a half days, but a lovely ride, plenty of places to stay on the way and very cheap. No advance booking needed) then join the faster rail network to anywhere you want in Europe. Like doing the Norte backwards, and a great end to your journey without rushing you back into the 21st century. If you are over 60 then a discount card costs 6 euros for Spain on RENFE, you need proof of age. Should work on narrow gauge but I haven't tried that. On SNCF you will get a discount anyway, but a much bigger one if you buy an over 60 card, which costs 60 euros. Might be worth it. If under 60, hard luck, unless you are young enough to get a youth card.
If you really want to fly then A Coruna is usually cheaper than Santiago. Just book a couple of days before you want to fly

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks all!
This year we flight with Vueling frpm Santiago to Amsterdam. But we booked that in july for september. Plenty if possiblities : )) . When I only have made it to Roncevalles I am happy and will walk further :):rolleyes:

Good idea not to book a fixed flight/train back home.

I'm one of the crazy people who took the Eurolines bus back home, in my case about 30 hours. That's a long journey but actually it was quite nice. Most passengers were pilgrims. So maybe that's an option for you, too.

The long travel time is a good way to prepare for getting back to the "real" world. You can think about all the things that happened during your weeks walking, talk about the Camino with the other passengers and watch the landscape to pass time. That way it is not as much of a shock as suddenly being catapulted back to "real life" in only a few hours!

There's an Eurolines office in Santiago, you can book the ticket back home when you arrive (at least it existed when I was there last year, was right next to the pilgrim's office - but you might want to check if that's still the case).

As far as I know, a bus to Netherlands/Belgium/Germany should leave two or three times a week. Could be an option if flight/train is not possible for whatever reasons.

Happy Camino planning!

Good idea not to book a fixed flight/train back home.

I'm one of the crazy people who took the Eurolines bus back home, in my case about 30 hours. That's a long journey but actually it was quite nice. Most passengers were pilgrims. So maybe that's an option for you, too.

The long travel time is a good way to prepare for getting back to the "real" world. You can think about all the things that happened during your weeks walking, talk about the Camino with the other passengers and watch the landscape to pass time. That way it is not as much of a shock as suddenly being catapulted back to "real life" in only a few hours!

There's an Eurolines office in Santiago, you can book the ticket back home when you arrive (at least it existed when I was there last year, was right next to the pilgrim's office - but you might want to check if that's still the case).

As far as I know, a bus to Netherlands/Belgium/Germany should leave two or three times a week. Could be an option if flight/train is not possible for whatever reasons.

Happy Camino planning!
Thank you!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back