• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yesss I can plan my next Camino, begin may. What is the best way to travel to SJPP from Holland?

Yellowfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto- Santiago / Fisterra- Muxia sept 2016
SJPP- Santiago may 2017planninh
I am so glad that I can take 6 weeks off. So now the real planning begins, ahhhhh. Without a organisation and booked hotels I Will do it alone . How do you travel fromHolland to SJPP. And are there more people who Will start begin May? How is the weather then mostly?
I am so excited :eek::)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good for you ;-)
As an example, from Amsterdam you could fly to France and then take a train/bus to SJPdP, see https://www.rome2rio.com/de/s/Amsterdam/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port for various options.
Beginning of May you will have hundreds of pilgrims starting with you at the same date - no worries ;-)
Weather: Pretty much all - warm, but not too hot, but also cold/rain and perhaps even a sprinkle of snow in the mountains, but mainly warm, and yes, rain in Galicia.

Buen Camino and welcome to the forum, SY

Good for you ;-)
As an example, from Amsterdam you could fly to France and then take a train/bus to SJPdP, see https://www.rome2rio.com/de/s/Amsterdam/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port for various options.
Beginning of May you will have hundreds of pilgrims starting with you at the same date - no worries ;-)
Weather: Pretty much all - warm, but not too hot, but also cold/rain and perhaps even a sprinkle of snow in the mountains, but mainly warm, and yes, rain in Galicia.

Thank you! Would it be better to start in the middle of may because of the weather (rain in Galicia?)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Good for you ;-)

So it will be completely different than my trip from Porto,to Santiago, When I only met sometimes Some pelgrims . Looks like in this time and this CF there are always people for and behind you walking?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In May you will always have some other pilgrims in sight unless you start a bit later, let the bubble pass and walk into the afternoon. No worries! Pilgrims are good company ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I am so glad that I can take 6 weeks off. So now the real planning begins, ahhhhh. Without a organisation and booked hotels I Will do it alone . How do you travel fromHolland to SJPP. And are there more people who Will start begin May? How is the weather then mostly?

Take the train.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, last year I took the train from Rotterdam.
Booked at www.treinwinkel.nl.

Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Train to Brussels-South then TGV Paris CDG then metro to Montparnasse and then another TGV to Bordeaux or Biarritz. Then local train to St-Jean.
Tickets for TGV must be booked in advance and sometimes you can find a real bargain.

Train to Brussels-South then TGV Paris CDG then metro to Montparnasse and then another TGV to Bordeaux or Biarritz. Then local train to St-Jean.
Tickets for TGV must be booked in advance and sometimes you can find a real bargain.
The one and only.
Wish you well, Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello
I have some friends in Netherlands who will be walking in May
Would it help if I put you in touch with them?
They don't use this forum but I could ask them to e-mail you?
Or if you send me any specific questions you may have I can forward to them?
Ned

Hello
I have some friends in Netherlands who will be walking in May
Would it help if I put you in touch with them?
They don't use this forum but I could ask them to e-mail you?
Or if you send me any specific questions you may have I can forward to them?
Ned
Yes that would be nice, I mail you my mailadres, Thanks!

SJPdP is connected by SNCF TER train to Bayonne.

Bayonne is connected to the rest of France by SNCF rail.

SJPdP is connected by CONDA (ALSA) bus to Pamplona.

Pamplona is connected to the rest of Spain by Renfe train and various bus companies.

The closest airport to SJPdP is Biarritz (BIQ).

So your options are to travel:

-from Holland to Biarritz by air, probably via Brussels.

-from Holland to Bayonne by train via Paris.

-from Holland to anywhere Spain by air and connect to Pamplona.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you! Would it be better to start in the middle of may because of the weather (rain in Galicia?)
It rains approximately 200 days per year in Galicia - I think July/August are the "drier" months - but even then you might run into a storm coming in off the Atlantic - and as the "mountains" on the Eastern border of Galicia (with Castile) are around 1500 metres they cause a build-up and down comes the rain. So bring a reasonable quality rain jacket (at least one that comes down a bit below your waist. You will see a style of poncho that covers you and your backpack - I have not (personally) used one and for me the water dripping onto my legs would be a real pain. I can put up with wet legs/wet shorts, but not those drips. I second the "welcome" - you now have access to one of the greatest "on line guide books" in the world - but its one that is totally dedicated to the Camino - all 12 routes.:)

It rains approximately 200 days per year in Galicia - I think July/August are the "drier" months - but even then you might run into a storm coming in off the Atlantic - and as the "mountains" on the Eastern border of Galicia (with Castile) are around 1500 metres they cause a build-up and down comes the rain. So bring a reasonable quality rain jacket (at least one that comes down a bit below your waist. You will see a style of poncho that covers you and your backpack - I have not (personally) used one and for me the water dripping onto my legs would be a real pain. I can put up with wet legs/wet shorts, but not those drips. I second the "welcome" - you now have access to one of the greatest "on line guide books" in the world - but its one that is totally dedicated to the Camino - all 12 routes.:)
Thanks! I don't understand exactly what you advice with the rain jacket. Should I Use a poncho or did you mean that a poncho drops? And better wear a normal rain jacket?
Thanks for your welcome on this unmissable forum :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks! I don't understand exactly what you advice with the rain jacket. Should I Use a poncho or did you mean that a poncho drops? And better wear a normal rain jacket?
Thanks for your welcome on this unmissable forum :)
As the poncho (or at least the ones I have tried) ends about 350mm (say 12-14 inches) from the ground the water runs off the poncho onto my legs (and then into my shoes/boots) and this is the part I don't like. When I wear a good quality rain jacket (and as Falcon correctly points out a good rain cover for my backpack) I don't get these irritating drips/drops. Of course if its really heavy rain then I find the nearest suitable shelter and even take-off my wet boots & socks. Hope this helps with the understanding. If you google "ponchos" you should find a picture of the combined - try this link:

http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/sea.../APONCHO15dl?gclid=CIuFmLKi6s8CFdeSvQod3cgGuA

Good luck

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back