• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

yet another backpack query - one that I can buy in the uk

marigold

Time of past OR future Camino
(2009) Sarria - Santiago; (2011) SJPP - Navarette; (2012) Logrono - Santiago;( 2013) Leon - Santiago - Finesterre
Hi, I posted this morning before going to work, but I can't find it, so here goes again! Sorry if it comes up again.
I'm looking for a rucksack that I can buy in the uk with: seperate zipped section to put sleeping bag, and side pockets, that is not too long in the back, light (under 1.5k) and not too expensive! I want to try it on, so am asking anyone with recommendations from the uk so that I'll find it in shops here. I am thinking of a Blacks Alpine 55(but it's too heavy I think), or a Millets Pathfinder 45 (a bit too long in the back for me).
I think I'd rather have space in the bag and a bigger bag, rather than a small bag tightly packed.
My old rucksack is threadbare and may not stand up to another journey - but it is lovely and light - made out of nylon fabric, and with all the features I want - why don't they make them like that any more?
Thanks everyone x

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a last years model womens Berghaus freeflow 25+5. This year's is about 300gms heavier but they might be worth looking at, or others in the Berghaus range. You can find the full Berghaus range via the link Berghaus - equipment - daysac and - rucsac.
We just went into our nearest good independent ramblers store and looked at what was available and tried them on.
You might be able to buy one then on Amazon, but we preferred to buy 'face to face'.
Happy hunting
Tia Valeria

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi
I would say go with the one you have-as you say tried and tested and ideal for your needs,but if you need a cheap option-the eurohike range at millits may suit.
also Lidl starts selling lightweight nylon ones around now.
I tend to buy on e-bay, its so easy to get caught up with thoughts of walking the Camino that you can buy so much new gear that it works out more expensive that the journey itself does.I visit lots of shops try them on till I find one that suits then look on ebay and buy one at a fraction of the price from someone who used it once on a trip of a lifetime and its laid in the spare room eversince.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KARRIMOR-CONDOR-6 ... 713wt_1059
Ian

marigold, I have a Deuter 35L that has served me well.

If you live anywhere near the north west, or can try one in a shop, you are more than welcome to borrow it as I cannot afford to go on the Camino this year. Paying p&p both ways will certainly be cheaper than buying one.

I'm not sure about the bottom zip as its in the loft but it does have a rain hood and I walked SJPP to Finisterre in 2004 with it on my back. It has been on some part of the Camino in 2005,06,07,08.

(09,10) I had to take my 60l to carry medical equipment. :(

You can either PM me or come back through this forum.

philip

Thank you for your recommendations and for your kind offer (methodist pilgrim). I'll keep on looking. I have been trying them on again today, and none of them seem to fit me. I am only 5'1" so the backs are all too long so the straps are way off my shoulders. I tried the Deuter and a couple of Karrimor, Osprey...The only one that fits is the Blacks Alpine 55+5 womens, and it seems to be very big compared to you all with your 25l and 35l ! I don't know how you manage to fit in all your stuff in such a small bag? You need a sleeping bag, wash stuff, warm clothes, raingear, shoes......
It is a nice bag though - comfy and spacious and with lots of zips and pockets, and you can adjust the back to make it shorter. It weighs 1.9k . If I can get my things down to 6k that makes 8 (without water) What do you think?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Marigold, don't panic on the size of your pack. I have ALWAYS taken on my Caminos (three of them and the last one was 2,000kms) a large pack - around the 65 litres. I still only carry about the 7 kilo mark - and because my large pack is actually lighter than some smaller ones that I would find comfortable I have gone with that. Most of the time it is only about half full, but that means that I can easily access my gear because it tis spread through the pack in an orderly way without being squashed to billio. The other thing that this means is that there is always room for lunch or tea, without me cringing when I open the pack to find everything squashed into an inedible mess.

I have enough self discipline to carry only what is necessary and have no compulsion to put things in "just in case". If you have that same characteristic just ignore the comments about getting a small pack and go with what is comfortable. A small uncomfortable pack will have far more repercussions than a large comfortable one! Go with your gut feeling on this one, Cheers, Janet

A small uncomfortable pack will have far more repercussions than a large comfortable one! Go with your gut feeling on this one,

More sage advice from janet.

In December 2010 I carried a 65L pack which weighed just 8kg (including both collapasible poles within it).

There is no rule which says that a rucksack must be full but there is certainly one which says it must fit you comfortably. Buy the Balcks 55+5.

Before you leave home stand on the scales with the empty pack. Put your stuff in it and if your weight has gone up by more than 8kg start shedding.

Hi Janet,
Thanks for your advice - it was just what I wanted to hear!
I met a Janet from Australia in 2009. It was near Portomarin, and she had hurt her knee and was trying to get to Santiago quickly to catch a flight. I wonder if that was you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No Marigold it wasn't me. I was fortunate because in 2009 I had a wonderful Camino down through France, from Troyes, and then along the Camino del Norte and Camino Primitivo, which doesn't connect with the camino Frances until Melide and so didn't go to Portamarin that year. regards, Janet

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.