• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yet another packing list critique request

Pilgrim-S-414

HRperegrino
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: 2019,2018, 2014 Camino Portuges: 2016
Hello everyone,

this forum has been an invaluable resource in Camino inspiration and preparation and I hope I can impose on members kindness on this occasion as well.
I would appreciate your comments on my packing list for Camino Frances starting in 22 days 8 hours ...
( but hey who's counting)
Here is it (hope the link works)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AsHG4Bkxk4r6dDd4dXNGdko0WVlJSVNoR2FlTHNoa3c&output=html
(most of the weight info is based on manufacturer specs and estimates, but I don't expect large variations)

Total backpack weight (with estimated water and food) is about 7.6 kg (I'm 191 cm tall and weigh 93 kg)
I tried to keep it light and yet added a few lightweight gadgets I've came across in this forum and pilgrim blogs.
I am considering adding a fleece as extra layer on top of the wool sweater considering temperatures last April ranged from -5 to 20°C, but I guess I can always buy it in SJPDP or along the way if it proves too cold.

I welcome your comments, thanks a lot in advance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Looks pretty good.
I'd leave the foam mat home.
I see more of those in the free boxes along the way than perhaps any other piece of pilgrim equipment.

PS-414:
This looks very solid. I am impressed.
Here are some thoughts:
  • You have an April start; it will be cool, yet you have no long sleeve shirt. (2 tshirts, a sweater, and a jacket)
  • Given cooler weather, your clothes may not dry as quickly as in the summer. Are you comfortable wearing damp clothes if required?
  • Will you sleep in your clean clothes each night? I took a pair of gym shorts to sleep in that ended up being a second pair of pants when I mistakenly left a pair on the drying rack.
  • The Scrubba™ wash bag looks really cool! Never seen that before. May have to get one of those... most places have some facilities to make it easy for you to wash.
  • A bandana can be a very useful item. Here are some examples: http://asher-resnick.us/180_Uses_for_a_Bandana.pdf
  • Maybe a small roll of toilet paper for emergencies (or the bandana) ;)
  • Most albuerges have pillows. Unless you need the pillow you could replace that with a pillow case or another shirt to cover the pillow.
  • With your ferino raincoat, your may not need the packcover. Carry a garbage bag to cover the pack more completely when you are not walking if that is the intention.
  • Lastly, you are the second person I saw bringing a canvas shopping bag. I would not think to bring one and would just get a plastic bag at a store and carry that along the way. I don't recall ever needing one, but would be interested in other's perspective. What will you use it for?
Hope this helps.
Rambler

A selection of Camino Jewellery
...I welcome your comments, thanks a lot in advance.
Aforementioned comments are valuable. I might reduce on "personal care " items. ;)There are many alternatives for purchase along the path if and when necessary. You'll find amazing "left articles" in most albergues.:eek: Weight is OK. Compliments:) Ultreya!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well done. I'd swap one short sleeved t-shirt for a long one. You can always pull up the sleeves. I'd also take a handkerchief. I found that in the early mornings my nose would constantly run because of the cold and the wind. Wash it out each evening. Buen camino and enjoy. The best thing i ever did in my life and now I am off to walk the Via de la Plata.

Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate your help

- I noticed foam mat has a bad rep on this forum :) but in the end I decided on it for several reasons:
I plan to pause walking every hour and take 5-10 min break, let my my feet breathe (when possible ), and If I recall correctly I think it was Churchill who said "I never stand when I can sit down, and never sit when I can lie down". From what I read there might be a a lot of Spaniards on the Way during Semana Santa and I'd prefer to avoid any bed race... and since its 160g I judged it to acceptable weight to benefit ratio in my case
- adding a long-sleeve shirt and ditching the pack cover
- I am comfortable sleeping in clothes I'll be wearing next day and since its wicking and anti-bacterial fabric even if I have to carry them for two days until the other set dries (thought most of it is quick drying also)
- The reason I decided on Scrubba http://thescrubba.com/ is because reviews agree it provides quick and through machine quality wash, so I'm more comfortable carrying one extra change of clothes
(I discovered it from one of the posts on this forum :) )
- with personal care items (including the pillow) I tried to limit weight and maximize benefits. I suspect the Way will be physically challenging enough so anything to increase comfort is a plus

@Rambler
I think canvas shopping bag (it folds very small) might be useful when shopping for food in the afternoons, after leaving the backpack in the albergue (it can be carried over the shoulder)
I got a buff instead on bandanna and will carry toilet paper separately :)

One tip I discovered when booking a plane .. I realized it is cheaper to buy swiss army knife and trekking poles in Spain rather than paying extra for backpack check-in (that way I can carry it in the overhead compartment), and on my return send them home by post from Santiago

Churchills conservation of energy theory. Hmmm. If i am correct, Winston Churchill was also a bit on the heavy side and hardly seen without a big sigare in his mouth. Maybe this conservation of energy theory was just an excuse for being a bit lazy :D
although on a more serious note i could understand this is a survial issue for soldiers in the field.
Better not teach this theory to the youth now a days, seeing as obesity is becoming a big problem. Especially in some countries.

Back to the list. Looks great!!! No comments here. I carry around 10kg ex drinks and i am much lighter and shorter then you (183, 76kg).
I looked at my first camino list and took alot of crap out. Then i made a new list for the next one and other crap just creeps on in. Every time i look at my list, i think....what shall i ditch? Nothing. Well, i could. I could ditch my flashlight, but its such a cool light and soooo bright. If you walk in a dark forest early in the morning (i.e. last day on the Frances into Santiago) this baby just lights the whole forest up like you have never seen. Dark, dark, what do you mean dark? Where? And it so small. Oh, and the extra battery and charger i have for it can be used to charge any other usb device like phones, ereaders...
But i also have a headlight hahhaha. How stupid is that. :Do_O
And i know, 4 pairs of runnig socks, 4 lightweight tech boxers, 3 tech running tshirts and 2 lightweight cotton tshirts ones for at night (after the afternoon shower) is a bit much for some, but i hate having to wash every single day.
Arrive at albergue, make up my bed, shower, give the feet some love and then also laundry time? Nah....i'd rather enjoy that time differently and that comes at a price, but the total weight does not bother me, so its fine i suppose.:)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Dutch
I am sure I'll be tossing out a few items myself, but I guess that is also part of Camino experience :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is useful to have something to sit on. Patches of soft grass are few and far between.

That's a very good packing list, however in a nearby future, I would change something’s. For example:

- You can search for a lighter sleeping bag. Some Ultralight sleeping bags, has the one that I have, give you a comfort zone up until 5º/0ºC without any problem. You would shave some grams (mine weights 852g) on the sleeping bag, but also in the sleeping material;

- About the towel, I've learned, both with this forum and with my experience, that bigger it's heavier and takes more time to dry. I think that a medium size it's ok;

- Why do you need the S shaped hook?;

- I don't know how much are you taking, but I think that 2,5/3m of paracord it's enough;

- Ditch the plastic box for food storage / plate, and try to use the cup for tea/soups for that. Try to get a cover, and you will shave some grams.

- I think that a Camiño beard it's better, than to carry the razor and the shaving gel :p

- Instead of the liquid soap, take a bar.

- I've seen that you have a balming cream for your feet, but I don't see any Vaseline/Vicks/fat cream to use when you walk. Aren't you going to hydrate your feet before the start every day?

Best Regards
Diogo

@Kanga I agree, that's another reason for foam mat

@Diogo92
I agree for the sleeping bag, I've had this one for ages, if I find one on sale before I go I'll get a lighter one.
S shaped hook was advised by many forum members as useful when hanging clothes and toiletries when showering
Liquid soap is also for clothes ( use with Scrubba washing bag)
Instead of Vaseline type cream I'm carrying non-greasy BodyGlide stick http://amzn.to/OkklOA . I picked this tip from a pilgrim's blog and the user reviews seem very positive.

I have Salewa boots with matching socks that come with "100% blister free guarantee", was quite sceptical but on a 2 day walk of about 27 km per day (low hills) they managed to sustain it (not even a hotspot).
That + light pack + BodyGlide + pausing each hour + taking it slow, slow, slow first week + stretches before and feet care after walking
will hopefully keep blisters to a minimum.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Kanga I agree, that's another reason for foam mat

@Diogo92
I agree for the sleeping bag, I've had this one for ages, if I find one on sale before I go I'll get a lighter one.
S shaped hook was advised by many forum members as useful when hanging clothes and toiletries when showering
Liquid soap is also for clothes ( use with Scrubba washing bag)
Instead of Vaseline type cream I'm carrying non-greasy BodyGlide stick http://amzn.to/OkklOA . I picked this tip from a pilgrim's blog and the user reviews seem very positive.

I have Salewa boots with matching socks that come with "100% blister free guarantee", was quite sceptical but on a 2 day walk of about 27 km per day (low hills) they managed to sustain it (not even a hotspot).
That + light pack + BodyGlide + pausing each hour + taking it slow, slow, slow first week + stretches before and feet care after walking
will hopefully keep blisters to a minimum.

I see. I manage to ditch almost 3kg from last year backpack, to this year. And I will probbaly shave more weight, when I do a Summer Caminho.

I thought that the BodyGlide was for that, but there are people who take that for another things. I've tried Vicks Vaporub and I don't want any other thing. When you take a pause, you feel your feet so fresh, it's amazing!

Have a great Caminho, I'll start mine second portuguese on Monday the 24th ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

100% blister free. Did you get a guarantee with that?

I had one pair of "1000 mile" socks. 1000 miles of blisterfree walking. Uhu... Would you believe those socks were the first items in my backpack to end up in an dumpster? Blister free my ***
:D

Of course i hope it works for you.

:) we'll see ..I'll post a equipment critique after I finish the Camino
that guarantee is for specific Salewa boots+socks combo and I think the boots are the more important part of it..(they probably launched a new model since I can't find mine on their website)
...like I said I was quite sceptical myself but they did manage it for a 2 day walk with Camino-like daily distances..we'll see how they handle the Camino itself

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have used a Scrubba, although I don't think the version I used was quite as light as yours. The claims are overstated. It gives a better wash than doing your laundry by hand, but don't expect it to be as good as a machine wash.

Personally, I won't be taking one on the Camino Ingles this year. I don't think it is worth the weight.

Regards,

I have used a Scrubba, although I don't think the version I used was quite as light as yours. The claims are overstated. It gives a better wash than doing your laundry by hand, but don't expect it to be as good as a machine wash.

Personally, I won't be taking one on the Camino Ingles this year. I don't think it is worth the weight.

Regards,

Thanks Doug
as long as its better/faster than hand wash I'll be satisfied

Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate your help

@Rambler
I think canvas shopping bag (it folds very small) might be useful when shopping for food in the afternoons, after leaving the backpack in the albergue (it can be carried over the shoulder)
I got a buff instead on bandanna and will carry toilet paper separately :)

One tip I discovered when booking a plane .. I realized it is cheaper to buy swiss army knife and trekking poles in Spain rather than paying extra for backpack check-in (that way I can carry it in the overhead compartment), and on my return send them home by post from Santiago

PS414:
You have thought this out well. From my last Camino, I have made several changes:
  • Not carrying trekking poles. Ended up not finding them necessary and could have gotten a staff along the way if I did. Heaviest thing I did not use.
  • I took only tshirts for the whole time and am looking for a light long sleeve collared shirt that would replace my long sleeve T.
  • I am taking a small bar of soap to wash body, hair and clothes and buying more as we walk. Last time I took one bar to use for the entire trip and quickly realized I could buy soap anywhere along the way. Why carry the whole bar from the start? I also agree that a bar of soap is lighter (I checked) per use than liquid soap. You could still use your Scrubba with the bar soap; just wet the clothes and rub the bar on them to get soap where you want it and then use as normal. Anyways aren't there more washing machines now in albuerges? We used to do communal loads in 2008 where a lavatoria was available. Still th ebest option.
  • Last time when we got to Santiago, we got a box in a supermercado where we were buying goodies to take home (Cola Cao, Maria Doradas, Turrones, etc.) We put the trekking poles and our knife in the box along with the smelly clothes and checked it at the airport. We kept the packs with us with any valuables or fragile items. We also bought clean traveling clothes in Santiago (tshirt and jeans). We had worn travel clothes on our way there and left them as a donation when we started. That way we were not immediately washing clothes.
Hope this helps.
Rambler

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
100% blister free. Did you get a guarantee with that?

I had one pair of "1000 mile" socks. 1000 miles of blisterfree walking. Uhu... Would you believe those socks were the first items in my backpack to end up in an dumpster? Blister free my ***
:D

Of course i hope it works for you.

My uncle gave me the best tip to stay blister free: Every 2-3 hours, take off your shoes and socks, even if you put them right back on. It keeps the "wrinkles" in your socks from giving you blisters. Your socks will "walk" inside of your shoes while you are walking, making the wrinkles. Only got one blister on our Camino, that was the day we met up with someone and just talked and walked without stopping to take our shoes and socks off.

Buen Camino !!

$64.95 for the Scrubba!!! That's a little steep.
I like the technology - based on a washboard. And I've come across a few at some albergues, which is great!
But a little pricey for me for a "nice-to-have", not a "need-to-have".
Buen camino to you!!

Thnaks Rambler...btw I went through your blog, great story :)

@ManyMiles2Go I got similar advice :) ... it was to pause every hour and swap socks from one foot to another

Thank for good wishes and a Buen Camino to all

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Dont swap from one foot to another. Whats the use in that! Swap one damp and sweaty socks with another damp and sweaty sock?
Swap with another clean and DRY pair of socks. When swapping, dont forget to airdry the worn pair of socks on the outside of your pack. Safety pins are multi purpose!!
In good weather they will be dry and feel somewhat "fresher" in no time, so you can swap 'm again with the socks your wearing after another well deserved cafe con leche break.

Better dry and "dirty" socks then damp and dirty socks. The dry part is the most important thing.

Like our last Camino we are starting and returning to the same place. We put our gear in carryon suit cases then checked them in. The only thing I have for carryon are my valuables, my camera, and my tablet. We made sure that the hostel we are stay at could store our suitcases while we are gone. This lets us carry some extra gear that we can take or leave depending on the long range forecast as well as some nice clothes for travel etc.. I'm a thrifty sort and the idea of buying a good knife and poles when I get there then leaving them does not set well.

About the socks, I learned that trick in the military. Change socks every hour for so and let feet dry. Be sure to turn sweaty socks inside out to dry. Turn right side out when putting back on. What's with the Vaseline/Vicks vapor rub on the feet? Buen Camino

:) we'll see ..I'll post a equipment critique after I finish the Camino
that guarantee is for specific Salewa boots+socks combo and I think the boots are the more important part of it..(they probably launched a new model since I can't find mine on their website)
...like I said I was quite sceptical myself but they did manage it for a 2 day walk with Camino-like daily distances..we'll see how they handle the Camino itself
@Pilgrim-S-414 how did your salewa's do? I'm considering a pair of salewa WS wildfire S GTX for a may Camino. Thoughts?

I was quite happy with my Salewa boots on my first Camino, bot a single blister. On the second one from Lisbon it was even better with Salmon shoes GTX X4, I'll be wearing them on my future Camino's as well

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.