• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yet Another Packing List!

minaleigh

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016
These things are probably tiresome to veterans, but if any of you could take a look at my packing list, that would be great! We're starting from Roncesvalles either May 31st or June 1st. It depends on when my friend is done teaching.

* Things that I still need to get.

Also, I know it might seem like I have a lot of preventative measures for injuries and maybe over-killing it. I broke my knee when I was younger and I still have some problems with it occasionally. I'd rather prevent than treat.

Toiletries
  • Dental floss (travel-sized)
  • Toothbrush (folds in on itself)
  • Toothpaste (travel-sized)
  • Mouthwash (100 mL)
  • Shampoo (200 mL)
  • Conditioner (100 mL)
  • Moisturizer (100 mL)
  • Deodorant (travel-sized)
  • Hairbrush (folds in on itself)
  • Tissues (2 pack of travel-sized)
  • Hair ties (about 8 of them)
  • Microfiber towel (medium sized)
  • Sunscreen (100 mL)
  • Feminine pads
  • * Razor (Have one, just haven't put it in the pack yet!)
  • * Hand sanitizer (travel-sized)
First Aid
  • Band-aids (various sizes)
  • Antiseptic wipes
  • Jumper's knee strap
  • KT Tape
  • Foam/Gauze Tape
  • Walking poles
  • Medication (1 prescription)
  • Pain reliever
  • Allergy relief (Just a few doses worth)
  • Lactaid (Just 10 tablets. I know Spanish dishes don't use as much dairy as we do)
  • Heartburn relief (OTC, prescribed by doctor for a post-surgery complication)
Electronics
  • iPod (for music and PDFs)
  • 4 port USB hub
  • * Charger (Have one but it's falling apart. Will purchase a new one)
  • * Earphones (Same as above)
  • * Camera (I have a slim one, but I can't find it!)
  • * Prepaid flip phone (my friend is currently in Spain and is giving this to me when I arrive)
Clothing
  • Clip-on sunglasses (Plus cleaning cloth for both that and my glasses)
  • Raincoat
  • Fleece pullover
  • Knee-length active leggings
  • Ankle-length active leggings
  • Gym shorts
  • Socks (2 liner and 2 hiking)
  • Shirts (2)
  • Underwear (3)
  • Sports bras (2)
  • Hiking shoes
  • Town/Albergue shoes
  • Backpack (Osprey Talon, 33 liters)
  • * Flip-flops (For shower. I can't walk in them, hence why I have different shoes for town)
  • * Buff
  • * Convertible/zip-off pants (1 pair)
  • * Hat (Friend has one that folds and zips up inside itself, just need to pick it up)
Documentation (Made copies of everything, to put in my bag and my friend's)
  • Passport
  • Travel insurance
  • Flight info
  • Medication info
Miscellaneous
  • Laundry detergent (100 mL)
  • Nylon Rope (10 feet)
  • Day pack
  • Safety pins (Several of different sizes)
  • Earplugs (Foam, 4 pairs)
  • Water pouch (1 liter)
  • Dry bags (3 of various sizes)
  • Ziploc bags (Various sizes)
  • Carabiners (1 small, 1 large)
  • Spork (My friend and I plan on buying groceries for most meals instead of the pilgrim's meal)
  • Sharpies (2)
  • 11 in 1 tool (Includes a knife, bottle opener, screwdriver, etc. It's small and thin)
  • Bag Cover
  • Sleeping bag liner
  • * Keychain light
  • * Small sewing kit
  • * Headlamp (Have one, just need to find the strap for it)
  • * Stone for Cruz de Ferro

Everything that isn't starred, I packed to see the weight and fit, not including my hiking shoes. This means I weighed it with all of the clothes listed.

As of right now, the whole pack weighs 12.8 pounds, or 5.8 kilos.

If I'm missing anything vital, or it seems like something is completely unnecessary, let me know! I even thought of things as I was typing this straight from a notebook that I had missed.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Minaleigh
If you're down to sub 6Kg then you're doing well.

You seem to have a lot of different washing products. Maybe take just one that does
for all your washing ? Having said that you'll see I'm not blessed with much hair so
shampoo and conditioner were never going to be high on my list.

Gym shorts ?! Blimey, you've got more energy than your average peregrino if you're
going to the gym each day.

Something I found useful was to place all the "maybe" stuff into a bag and then weigh it
all together. It cam to over a Kilo ! Left it all at home/

Buen Camino

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, it may even be less conditioner than listed. My friend in Spain picked up a travel-sized bottle of conditioner at an AirBnB. Those are typically smaller than 100 mL, but I was just estimating since I'm not getting it until I get there. He also has the plug adapter, while I have his stone for the Cruz de Ferro.

Well, I call them gym shorts but definitely not planning on going to the gym! I'm also bringing sports bras, but I'm not planning on playing any sports in them while on the Way. ;) The shorts are for layering over my leggings and to relax in the albergue.

I was iffy on the moisturizer, but my skin is very dry and is prone to heavy flaking. I'm not taking any makeup, so I figured moisturizer wasn't a huge sin. Also, I'm bringing two travel-sized containers of shampoo. I tested to see how much I use in a week, and I actually use more than I'm bringing for in the allotted time. I'll just buy one there if I run out. I have a lot of hair! It goes to the middle of my back and isn't thin. That requires a lot of shampoo. ;)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi.
I see from your photo that you wear glasses.
If you happen to have the information, you might think of bringing the slip of paper or whatever that has your prescription on it. Or at least emailing it to you. Saves time if you have an accident and need new glasses fast.
Bunny

These things are probably tiresome to veterans, but if any of you could take a look at my packing list, that would be great! We're starting from Roncesvalles either May 31st or June 1st. It depends on when my friend is done teaching.

Also, I know it might seem like I have a lot of preventative measures for injuries and maybe over-killing it. I broke my knee when I was younger and I still have some problems with it occasionally. I'd rather prevent than treat.

Toiletries
  • Mouthwash (100 mL)
  • Shampoo (200 mL)
  • Conditioner (100 mL)
  • Moisturizer (100 mL)
  • Sunscreen (100 mL)
  • Feminine pads
First Aid
  • Antiseptic wipes
  • Jumper's knee strap
  • KT Tape
  • Foam/Gauze Tape
  • Walking poles
  • Pain reliever
  • Lactaid (Just 10 tablets. I know Spanish dishes don't use as much dairy as we do)
Electronics
  • 4 port USB hub
  • * Prepaid flip phone (my friend is currently in Spain and is giving this to me when I arrive)
Clothing
  • Raincoat
  • Fleece pullover
  • Gym shorts
  • Shirts (2)
  • Underwear (3)
  • Sports bras (2)
  • Hiking shoes
  • Town/Albergue shoes
  • * Flip-flops (For shower. I can't walk in them, hence why I have different shoes for town)
  • * Buff
  • * Hat (Friend has one that folds and zips up inside itself, just need to pick it up)
  • Passport
  • Travel insurance
  • Flight info
  • Medication info
Miscellaneous
  • Nylon Rope (10 feet)
  • Day pack
  • Water pouch (1 liter)
  • Spork (My friend and I plan on buying groceries for most meals instead of the pilgrim's meal)
  • Sharpies (2)
  • 11 in 1 tool (Includes a knife, bottle opener, screwdriver, etc. It's small and thin)
  • Bag Cover
  • Sleeping bag liner
  • * Keychain light
  • * Small sewing kit

Everything that isn't starred, I packed to see the weight and fit, not including my hiking shoes. This means I weighed it with all of the clothes listed.

If I'm missing anything vital, or it seems like something is completely unnecessary, let me know! I even thought of things as I was typing this straight from a notebook that I had missed.

Hi.
I see from your photo that you wear glasses.
If you happen to have the information, you might think of bringing the slip of paper or whatever that has your prescription on it. Or at least emailing it to you. Saves time if you have an accident and need new glasses fast.
Bunny

That's a great idea, thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looks good. You'll be alright.
Don't know if you are a wine drinker, but you might throw a corkscrew in there, or get one when you arrive. Not all the albergues have them, and if you are making a lot of your own meals and want some wine to go with them, it would be handy. As would a lightweight backpacker's cup.
cheers and ultreia

Looks good. something to consider:

-daypack? hopefully not very big
-town shoe? if your hiking shoe is light you could wear those in town or sandals for shower/town
-headlamp? do you intend to walk at night/early mornings? otherwise the smartphone light will do
-A lightweight sleeping bag instead of a liner may be more practical depending on the weather...

You might want to check that scale. 12.8# seems hard to believe. Especially with all the liquids you have listed.

I backpack a lot (CF last summer and the JMT this summer) and other times I stay in high-end resorts. When backpacking, I pack ultralight and think (once in a while) about the Hyatt or a Marriott's. Don't mix them up;-)

Check out my packing list (see link to blog below; link to list is on top of home page).

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't often suggest someone takes something else, but this time I will. If you are going to cook for yourself I would recommend a little knife (Opinel #8 is perfect and can be bought all along the way - I got mine in St Jean at a wee grocery store), and also a small lightweight plastic bowl or an icecream container lid to put your food on/in. I think a bowl is more useful;-) It doubles as a cup at a fountain and is great for collecting blackberries in (although I doubt you'll come across berries in June)

Loving all the ideas! I'll try to reply to them all in one post.

Looks good. You'll be alright.
Don't know if you are a wine drinker, but you might throw a corkscrew in there, or get one when you arrive. Not all the albergues have them, and if you are making a lot of your own meals and want some wine to go with them, it would be handy. As would a lightweight backpacker's cup.
cheers and ultreia

I saw a lot of people recommending a corkscrew and even looked for one on a keychain. But, my friend was in AA and has been sober for nearly a year. I don't want to shove it in his face by drinking in front of him. I'm not much of a drinker anyways. I know wine can be cheap there, but I'm thinking of my friend. It doesn't bother me.

Looks good. something to consider:

-daypack? hopefully not very big
-town shoe? if your hiking shoe is light you could wear those in town or sandals for shower/town
-headlamp? do you intend to walk at night/early mornings? otherwise the smartphone light will do
-A lightweight sleeping bag instead of a liner may be more practical depending on the weather...

I actually thought of a daypack after I posted this. I added it to my notebook list, but forgot to add it here.

Everyone else that I've seen, on here and in blogs and on youtube, has recommended different shoes for town because it's nice to get out of the sweaty, stinky ones you've been walking in all day.

I decided to scratch the headlamp, thanks!

We're going in June and the beginning of July. Is it really chilly there at night? Some people have said it's hot while others say it can get pretty cool. I can always layer, but I'll think about it. I tend to get hot at night.

You might want to check that scale. 12.8# seems hard to believe. Especially with all the liquids you have listed.

I backpack a lot (CF last summer and the JMT this summer) and other times I stay in high-end resorts. When backpacking, I pack ultralight and think (once in a while) about the Hyatt or a Marriott's. Don't mix them up;-)

Check out my packing list (see link to blog below; link to list is on top of home page).

Buen Camino!

The things with the stars next to them aren't yet in my pack, as well as my hiking shoes. I weighed myself with and without the pack, twice. Got the same result. Like I said, not everything I listed was included in the weight as I haven't put the items in the pack, yet.

Thanks for the link!

I don't often suggest someone takes something else, but this time I will. If you are going to cook for yourself I would recommend a little knife (Opinel #8 is perfect and can be bought all along the way - I got mine in St Jean at a wee grocery store), and also a small lightweight plastic bowl or an icecream container lid to put your food on/in. I think a bowl is more useful;-) It doubles as a cup at a fountain and is great for collecting blackberries in (although I doubt you'll come across berries in June)

The spork has a knife on the side, but the survival tool is metal and one edge is a knife. I think my friend has a Swiss Army knife. I'll look into it!

I just thought ziploc bags would be good, but a lightweight container would be great for softer or easily bruised foods.

Thanks everyone!

Everyone else that I've seen, on here and in blogs and on youtube, has recommended different shoes for town because it's nice to get out of the sweaty, stinky ones you've been walking in all day.

I plan on bringing sandals that I can also walk some distance in. I'll be walking the last week of August and all of September, so I'm thinking that on a hot summer day it will be nice to switch to sandals for the last 8km or so, depending on the terrain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I actually thought of a daypack after I posted this. I added it to my notebook list, but forgot to add it here.

I decided to scratch the headlamp, thanks!

We're going in June and the beginning of July. Is it really chilly there at night? Some people have said it's hot while others say it can get pretty cool. I can always layer, but I'll think about it. I tend to get hot at night.
You don't need any heavy daypack. Something like a bigger fanny pack. I picked one up on the Camino Atlus 20l. It is frameless and folds like a clothing.

July should be warmer and you can get away without a sleeping bag. I walked Norte in June and Frances in October. My experience is that as soon as the sun is down it can get cooler, specially at higher elevations. And most dorms leave the windows open at night for air circulation. So sleeping bags can give you much needed protection. If you have space, I would get a synthetic 500-700g lightweight bag.

My vision with the bowl is that you pour some muesli and yoghurt into it at breakfast time, chop your tomatoes in it at lunchtime and pile it up three times at dinner - full of pasta and whatever else you cook up. Not all albergues have plates.
My spork had a serrated edge too and snapped on the first cheese I cut into!
By the way, may I commend you for being considerate of your walking companion? With such care you will have a special time together.

Toiletries
  • Mouthwash (100 mL)
  • Shampoo (200 mL)
  • Conditioner (100 mL)
  • Moisturizer (100 mL)
  • Sunscreen (100 mL)
  • Feminine pads
First Aid
  • Antiseptic wipes
  • Jumper's knee strap
  • KT Tape
  • Foam/Gauze Tape
  • Walking poles
  • Pain reliever
Electronics
  • 4 port USB hub
Clothing
  • Raincoat
  • Fleece pullover
  • Gym shorts
  • Shirts (2)
  • Underwear (3)
  • Sports bras (2)
  • Hiking shoes
  • Town/Albergue shoes
  • * Buff
  • Passport
  • Travel insurance
  • Flight info
  • Medication info
Miscellaneous
  • Nylon Rope (10 feet)
  • Day pack
  • Water pouch (1 liter)
  • Sharpies (2)
  • Bag Cover
  • Sleeping bag liner
  • * Keychain light
  • * Small sewing kit

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm not sure that you need 2 torches. Lose the headlight (single most irritating Camino staple- responsible for temporary blindness in many a sleeping peregrino) unless you're planning on walking in darkness (not to be advised). Also nylon rope could go, one sharpie, replace daypack with ultralight nylon backpack. One large ziplock bag with enough room for a complete set of dry clothes is ample. All that said, if your pack is under 6kgs and/or less than 10% of your body weight, you should be fine.

I plan on bringing sandals that I can also walk some distance in. I'll be walking the last week of August and all of September, so I'm thinking that on a hot summer day it will be nice to switch to sandals for the last 8km or so, depending on the terrain.
That's what I did, except my Teva sandals did double duty as shoes to wear around town/albergue and backup walking shoes in the event my trail runners blew out.
I know some think it's a bit much, but I carried a third (actually they are so thin and light I don't even see them as a third set) of footwear. A cheap, $2.00 pair of rubber flip-flops I bought at Wal-Mart and used only for showering in to avoid wet straps on the Teva's. Kept them wrapped in a bag in an outside pocket of my backpack. Threw them in the trash in Santiago. If I had lost, forgot or they blew out on me, no big deal. Only two bucks.

That's what I did, except my Teva sandals did double duty as shoes to wear around town/albergue and backup walking shoes in the event my trail runners blew out.
I know some think it's a bit much, but I carried a third (actually they are so thin and light I don't even see them as a third set) of footwear. A cheap, $2.00 pair of rubber flip-flops I bought at Wal-Mart and used only for showering in to avoid wet straps on the Teva's. Kept them wrapped in a bag in an outside pocket of my backpack. Threw them in the trash in Santiago. If I had lost, forgot or they blew out on me, no big deal. Only two bucks.
That's what I'm planning on also for the showers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The ecco yucatan sports sandals is my favorite. It has a wider toe box and a bit cheaper.

Attachments

• yucatan.jpg
    yucatan.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 13
Hello,

Have you considered a multi purpose soap? I dont use regular shampoo anymore, I use a solid shampoo bar from a company called 'Lush' - the bars are small and light, you can use it in its own so you don't need conditioner and it lathers up really well so I'm planning to take one with me on my planned Camino in July and also use it as body soap and laundry soap. You could save on carrying seperate shampoo / conditioner / laundry detergent - the bars last for ages!

Buen Camino!

My vision with the bowl is that you pour some muesli and yoghurt into it at breakfast time, chop your tomatoes in it at lunchtime and pile it up three times at dinner - full of pasta and whatever else you cook up. Not all albergues have plates.
My spork had a serrated edge too and snapped on the first cheese I cut into!
By the way, may I commend you for being considerate of your walking companion? With such care you will have a special time together.

That's a good idea! I have a small tupperware bowl I could use. It was from a dollar store, so I won't care if it breaks or I throw it away after the trip.

Thank you for you commendation. He's been my best friend since sixth grade. Like I said, I don't drink much anyways, probably three times a year, so forgoing drinking in front of him isn't that big of a deal.

I'm not sure that you need 2 torches. Lose the headlight (single most irritating Camino staple- responsible for temporary blindness in many a sleeping peregrino) unless you're planning on walking in darkness (not to be advised). Also nylon rope could go, one sharpie, replace daypack with ultralight nylon backpack. One large ziplock bag with enough room for a complete set of dry clothes is ample. All that said, if your pack is under 6kgs and/or less than 10% of your body weight, you should be fine.

Yeah, I originally left off the headlamp. My friend asked if I was taking it and I felt obligated to add it since he was the one who bought it for me lol. I didn't want to take it otherwise. I think I'll just leave it at home because "I forgot it." ;)

And 10% of my body weight is 18.5 pounds. I was trying to stay under 15, at max 16 with food and water. The fact that it's 12.8 at this point is a miracle to me. Taking suggestions from people on here will even lessen it!

Yeah, I bought a pair of flip-flops from Walmart yesterday for a dollar. If they break, no skin off my nose. I've just never been a person to wear flip-flops, hence why I'm not using them for town. I've had nothing but trouble with them in the past.

The ecco yucatan sports sandals is my favorite. It has a wider toe box and a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into those.

Hello,

Have you considered a multi purpose soap? I dont use regular shampoo anymore, I use a solid shampoo bar from a company called 'Lush' - the bars are small and light, you can use it in its own so you don't need conditioner and it lathers up really well so I'm planning to take one with me on my planned Camino in July and also use it as body soap and laundry soap. You could save on carrying seperate shampoo / conditioner / laundry detergent - the bars last for ages!

Buen Camino!

I have a castile bar from Dr. Bronner. I actually used it to make the laundry detergent. I'm going to test it as a shampoo since I read they can make hair feel really gummy and gross. If it works, I'll leave out the shampoo. I just added the 200 mL of shampoo to my list as an incumbent.

Thanks everyone! You've all been really helpful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also, what I'm calling a daypack is actually a nylon bag with a drawstring, like this one pictured below.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 14
I had one of these Atlus daypack with a flat wide straps that are comfortable to carry. In addition to town use, on days i didn't feel like carrying my backpack this is big enough to put 2l water bottle, food/snacks, camera/phone and my rain coat. This weighs only about 100g. Just something to consider.

Attachments

• daypatlus.jpg
    daypatlus.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 21
Also, what I'm calling a daypack is actually a nylon bag with a drawstring, like this one pictured below.
That's what I carried. Really all you need and yet another item that if lost or damaged, no gig deal as it's inexpensive. Mine was free. Got it at a 5k race. Full of freebies.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I appreciate the links and suggestions. I have found that most people on here suggest really expensive items. At least, to me. Most of what I'm bringing I've already owned or bought from Amazon. I only went all out on my hiking shoes and backpack, which I bought from a local outdoor store.

Trust me, I looked up sleeping bag suggestions on here from people, and they were linking "inexpensive" options like $80 bags lol. That's not cheap to me. That's one reason why my friend and I aren't partaking in restaurant or pilgrim meals for a lot of the trip, as we're going cheap. I can't afford 100$ on a sleeping bag, or $50+ on a daypack.

Then again, most people on here seem to well-established adults. I work retail and have been saving up for this since last year.

....most people on here seem to well-established adults. I work retail and have been saving up for this since last year.
You are right! We make suggestions based on what worked for us and not always consider cost.
Items such as sleeping bag, daypack, sandals etc are nice to have and not a must have. You can always pick these up on the Camino at major towns should they become a necessity.

I don't know where you are based, I often find used outdoor gear on ebay. There is also this used camino gear facebook page where one can find used gear for sale/donation by past pilgrims.

You have most of the essentials needed for the Camino, good luck in your preparations.

Hi Minaleigh
You can go with whatever you've got. I spent an age researching what to take when I walked the Frances route.
When I walked from Porto I went from a friend from work. His house was nearer the airport we flew out from
so I stayed with him that night. He grabbed his old rucksack out of a cupboard and shoved in a few clothes and
a charger for his phone. The airport weigh scale was the first time he knew the weight, It came in at 8 Kg. The
odd bits and pieces he'd forgotten he picked up on the way. We had a great time.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for all the additional thoughts and suggestions! You don't really have to reply, but since I've posted last, I'll show my updated packing list.

Once again, starred items ( * ) are not yet in my bag.

Toiletries
  • Shampoo bar (2/3 of one. Using the other 1/3 for laundry)
  • Conditioner (100 mL)
  • Moisturizer (100 mL)
  • Hairbrush (Small, folds in on itself. Doubles as a mirror, too!)
  • Hair ties
  • Sunscreen (100 mL)
  • Feminine pads
  • Razor
  • Hand sanitizer (travel-sized)
First Aid
(I have a lot of preventative measures for my knee because of a childhood injury)
  • Antiseptic wipes
  • Triple antibiotic ointment
  • Jumper's knee strap
  • KT Tape
  • Foam/Gauze Tape
  • Walking poles
  • Excedrin Migraine, extra-strength
  • Lactaid (10 tablets. I know Spanish dishes don't use as much dairy as we do)
  • Heartburn relief (OTC, prescribed by doctor)
Electronics
  • 4 port USB hub
  • Earphones
  • Camera (iPod can take pictures, but its battery doesn't last as long anymore.)
  • Two memory cards
  • AAA battery (1, for the keychain light)
  • * Camera charger (In the mail!)
  • * Extra battery (In the mail!)
  • * iPod Charger (Have one but it's falling apart. Will purchase a new one)
Clothing
  • Clip-on sunglasses (Plus cleaning cloth)
  • Raincoat
  • Fleece pullover
  • Gym shorts
  • Shirts (2)
  • Underwear (3)
  • Sports bras (2)
  • Hiking shoes
  • Town/Albergue shoes
  • Flip-flops (For showering)
  • Hat (Is flexible and folds in on itself)
  • * Buff (In the mail!)
  • * Convertible/zip-off pants (1 pair. In the mail!)
Documentation (Made two copies of everything, to put in my bag and my friend's.)
Someone suggested getting the prescription for my glasses, but my eye doctor no longer had the information.
  • Passport
  • Travel insurance
  • Flight info
  • Medication info
  • Train tickets
Miscellaneous
  • Laundry bar (1/3 of one. Using the other 2/3 for showering)
  • Nylon Rope (5 feet. I cut it in half from the original length.)
  • Day pack
  • Water pouch (1 liter)
  • Spork (We're planning on picnicking for most meals instead of the pilgrim's meal)
  • Sharpie (1)
  • Bag Cover
  • Sleeping bag liner
  • Keychain light
  • Small sewing kit (Thread and needles, for repairs and possible blisters)
  • Stone for Cruz de Ferro
  • * Small tupperware bowl
  • * Nail scissors

So, after adding more stuff to my bag, it is currently at 13 pounds (5.9 kg), including everything BUT my hiking shoes and starred ( * ) items. After some awesome tips, I managed to only gain 3.6 ounces (102 grams) even though I added about 10 items. I think it was mainly because I got rid of some of the liquids and a pair of leggings. Looks my goal to keep it 15 pounds and under (before food and water) might be feasible!

Once again, thanks for the help! This forum is awesome.

I appreciate the links and suggestions. I have found that most people on here suggest really expensive items. At least, to me. Most of what I'm bringing I've already owned or bought from Amazon. I only went all out on my hiking shoes and backpack, which I bought from a local outdoor store.

Trust me, I looked up sleeping bag suggestions on here from people, and they were linking "inexpensive" options like $80 bags lol. That's not cheap to me. That's one reason why my friend and I aren't partaking in restaurant or pilgrim meals for a lot of the trip, as we're going cheap. I can't afford 100$ on a sleeping bag, or $50+ on a daypack.

Then again, most people on here seem to well-established adults. I work retail and have been saving up for this since last year.
Got my lightweight sleeping bag for $22 on Amazon. Other than shoes and the bag, I'm taking stuff from home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can't tell us about such a good deal without a link. ;)
Lol. Since i started planning in October I've scoured Amazon, this Forum, store websites, Craigs and Ebay. I just don't have the funds to nab the latest trendy thingy, because, apparently, if you attach the word "hiking" items cost double lol. Amazon is my hero. Blessings!

Lol. Since i started planning in October I've scoured Amazon, this Forum, store websites, Craigs and Ebay. I just don't have the funds to nab the latest trendy thingy, because, apparently, if you attach the word "hiking" items cost double lol. Amazon is my hero. Blessings!
But...what's the bag called?????

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Cheap spare glasses from supermarket. They're not great but handy in an emergency (like breaking, losing your proper ones).

Travel plug so your electronics will go into Spanish sockets?

Cheap spare glasses from supermarket. They're not great but handy in an emergency (like breaking, losing your proper ones).

I was thinking of bringing my old glasses as a backup since my prescription is so strong that I don't think any of the glasses at a store would help. My friends make fun of my relative blindness whenever they try on my glasses! I mean, I've had these for four years (the eye doctor couldn't give me my prescription because they archive them after two years), and nothing has happened to them. But, I've never been on five week walking trip in another country before, either. ;)

Travel plug so your electronics will go into Spanish sockets?

The friend that I'm meeting there actually has one, so got that covered! I'm bringing the USB hub and he's providing the adapter that he's been using there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is wise to bring the old glasses as a spare.

And bring your own adapter! It is a small thing, easy to lose (I suggest duct taping to the charger), and an essential item. Trying to save 15g on that doesn't make sense. Overall your pack weight and contents look good.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.