• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Yet another Shoe Question!

sonic

Hi Everyone,

I read most of the boot/shoe/trainer related questions on this forum. I'm going to be doing the Camino from St. Jean at the beginning of April and was wondering, once again, what you would recommend. I'm the type who hates those thick big boots and I have a nice worn in light hiking trainer with good grip, but unfortunately, not waterproof. Emphasis on the light and negatively, on the non-waterproof.

Considering it's April, even with gaiters, this would be a no-no right? Otherwise, I have to go do some waterproof boot shopping. :x

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked in the fall--September into October and had lots of rain. I would NOT have used waterproof/Goretex shoes for two reasons. One, the dust would have clogged them up big time as there are long stretches of dirt, dust and mud which do not make for a very breathable shoe made with goretex. There is a lot of pavement walking and believe me, your feet will get hot. Goretex increases the temperature inside your boot and debris blocking the venting increases it even more.

Second, once they get wet, non-goretex shoes tend to dry quicker. Clean them up (I took a nail brush and used that to give them a good going over), pull the insoles out, and stuff the shoes with newspaper and they will get reasonably dry. If it rains steadily for a couple of days (I had ten days of rain) after a while, goretex shoes are going to get wet no matter what anybody says. Gaiters help keep your shoes cleaner and put off the major wetness for a while so they might be something to consider for spring walking, especially if they are very lightweight, but not essential. In addition, my goretex shoes are heavier. I couldn't justify the extra weight--and especially now after I've made the journey. Pavement walking is hard enough on your knees without the added weight on your feet.

I bow to those who walked in the spring but I would go with the shoes you feel very good about even though they aren't waterproof. In the days between SJPP and Santiago, you will probably have many more days of sun than of rain. Buen Camino!

My wife & I walked from SJPP in April 2009.
We both wore Gortex boots (Merrell & Patagonia) . We will wear them again in October.
I hate heavy boots but the there are lightweight ones with good ankle support.
Buen Camino
Col

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sonic, your trainers sound ideal - light, worn and with a grip, just like the ones I used on my first Camino. I will wear trainers again this year. The only issue was their getting wet, which happened to me a couple of times. What I did was after putting my socks on in the morning I put each foot in a plastic bag before putting on the trainer. The bags never bothered me during the day's walking and I had dry feet and socks at the end of the day. One or two days with the bags was sufficient for the trainers to dry out. Good luck and buen Camino.
Sandra :arrow:

Ah, many thanks for the suggestions!
I'm pretty much going to expect much wetness and go with the goal of inventing some magical drying technique that no one in the world has invented yet. ehem... hair dryer?

Either that or I'll end up buying some relative "waterproof" boot in Spain that gets me soggy anyway and raise my fist to the sky in mock anger and vengeance.

Buen Camino indeed. :mrgreen:

I have used these mid ankle shoes by Salamon on the Camino Frances in Winter, the Via de la Plata in January and Spring, the Camino Portugues in Summer, the Camino Madrid in August (!) and 5 times on the Camino Ingles - and they are still good to go. They come far enough up my ankle for waterproof trousers to cover them. The only time I have used gaiters is in deep snow. And my feet would only get wet if I stepped in water deep enough to come over the top.

Shoes or boots with a goretex lining for me all the time.

Attachments

• mid ankle goretex.jpg
    mid ankle goretex.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,313
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Johnnie
? hows the ventilation and heat when walking in the summer months
i read that goretex hampers airflow, feet overheat, and blisters abound
? whats your experience

I agree with JohnnieWalker - goretex lined boots every time.

Stories of overheating feet can be heard about all walking shoes/boots when worn for hours, walking 20+ kilometers a day in hot weather. I always stop every couple of hours, take off my boots and let my feet AND boots air whilst i rest for however long i feel like resting.

As for dry feet - well i have never had wet feet even walking for 4 days in the North Yorkshire Moors when it poured down every day and night! Trust me that was not one of my more pleasant wild camp hikes, but it would have been so much worse with wet feet :)

As for dust clogging goretex lined footwear? Well it may have been the case in early goretex footwear and even in the less well constructed models available, but i have not experienced this. Mind you i do look after my footwear as i want it to look after my feet :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hmmm, checked out my outdoor store just in case and I'm giving a go with goretex socks. I heard some people love them, so I'm going to give them a shot considering how non-waterproof my shoes are. Better safe than sorry was my thought process here.

I wear Asolo leather boots with gore-tex lining. I walked 1800 km in them last year and had no problems with them at all, even walking the meseta in July. The lateral ankle support was a big issue for me. In the past I have broken bones in my foot when twisting my ankle badly.

Probably not the right place to post, but muchos gracias for all the tips.

And... I'm off! Buen Camino! *knock on wood*
Hopefully bump into some people in end of March and/or month of April! :mrgreen:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.