• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Yikes where did the time go!?

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I've been on the Way for over 3 weeks now and am less than 2 days from Sarria.
I have been present for each day: the jangle of cow bells, rushing waters, doves, owls and birds, the funny clouds and hippies in La Faba, the sweat rolling down my neck

But it feels like it had only been a week!! Not 3

I will extend to Muxia and hope to connect with Little Fox (?)
But my heart rushes to think I am at the tail end. I dont want to waste this moment in anticipation of tomorrow

And this is deeper than merely saying plan another Camino. I'd like some help in staying present every moment.

This rush is worse than before I left. Maybe because that happened so abruptly. Looking for your experience again
Nanc

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Is pausing an option? Just staying still and yes, living the moment. Or perhaps the Camino is trying to tell you something? Being present also means, for me, being present for other people - smile, greet, help. Just some thoughts, Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Nanc :)
Totally see what you mean... Here are some thoughts too
Time is boggled when you live from the heart... It seems so full and so short at the same time!
When I didn't want to end one of my Camino, my mind let me alone but my foot suddently decided not to walk again: I couldn't put it on the ground and move on without pain. When I eventually worked it out, my foot was just fine again and I arrived in Santiago with no pain. I thought the message was pretty clear... ;)
Fighting the mind is a lost battle. Why not pause and welcome the thoughts... what are they trying to tell you? Listening, observing what happens within you, answering kindly and letting it go until the next rush.
I find respiration is also a great teacher and ally when it comes to present time. Focus on breath in, breath out: brings you back to here and now.. I think it works great when walking, as it's the same movement. I like to feel it like a slow wave... gently breath in, let it fill you and decrease at the end, stay still until breath out comes by itself, let it empty you and decrease at the end, stay still until breath in come by itself, and so on. I find it very relaxing and it re-centers me right away.
Like SYates said, people are also great help to live in present time.
And Craig Oliver is right too, it will soon be a new beginning rather than an end! Pilgrims never stop walking because the Camino is a Way of Life that never stops. The Camino will continue within you, only with another scenery! :)
Buen Camino!

full

Hey, actually, it reminded me of this picture...
full

It's on the cathedral in Santiago (Praterias square, South front, above the gate) The 2 symbols on the side are Omega (the end) and Alpha (the beginning). It should be Alpha-Omega, but it is inverted here and often interpreted as "your journey is only beginning, even if it seems to be the ends"
I always take some time to meditate before this sculpture, I feel it is re-energizing and full of promises :)
Buen Camino!

full

Wow useful comments
Yes, I realized the last few days I'd had significantly less Pilgrim interactions: somehow my speed and timing meant I was most often walking alone, and many stops even Albergues there were few English or French speakers.
Another contributor was my eating pattern. Not eating bread means I have some fruit, nuts, cheese etc to start the day. I can never eat even half the pilgrim's menu or even 2 meals a day and since I don't drink wine either, I skip the evening meal. I realized by NOT eating Pilgrims meal I was missing that social interaction

The reminder to not fight the thought that passes is helpful.

As for breath, it is very important to me too. Yogic breathing helps on more than the hills.

Perhaps I need to remember what Alex showed me , which was to stop every hour or so for 5 minutes and take the pack off or sit outide the bar for a spot of coffee ( or was that beer and a cigarette? )
Thanks Nanc

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Time is so relative for all of us Nanc. It slows and stretches when we are bored or counting down days... it races when we are creatively absorbed or when we desperately want just one more moment... and sometimes it just stops... we are occasionally lost or suspended in time... perhaps that's because it loses all relevance and is replaced by a simpler pattern, as on the Camino, of Walk/Eat/Sleep... the essence of Walking Meditation or, as you describe it:
I have been present for each day: the jangle of cow bells, rushing waters, doves, owls and birds, the funny clouds and hippies in La Faba, the sweat rolling down my neck
The perfectly described and experienced Present Moment.

But my heart rushes to think I am at the tail end. I dont want to waste this moment in anticipation of tomorrow

And this is deeper than merely saying plan another Camino. I'd like some help in staying present every moment.
In the wisdom of your own words lies your answer... how to maintain this new Way of being in the world OFF Camino.

Now that's a work in progress for all of us!

Ultreïa!!

My experience has been that Time has paused and lost all meaning at all the truly important moments of my life - both good and bad.

So glad that for you too, the Camino has proved to be one of the good ones.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back