• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

You can do the whole camino not staying at the albergues

wichanee

After the camino I went by public transport touring the Costa da Meurte and now back in Santiago again cooling my heels until tomorrow when we leave for Portugal.
I have posted much early on when preparing my walk if it is possible to stay in private accommodation all the way through without staying at the albergues. Most seem to think that it is not possible.
I would like to post here for the record that is is possible and we have done that. There are quite a few people - small minority - who are committed to the camino but prefer their own privacy at bedtime. There are a few stages you may have to walk a little bit longer to reach the casa rurales or hostals in the next villages. But now the whole network of private accommodation is rising up to meet the challenge and there will be more.
And for comraderie among peregrinos some may think is lacking without staying in the albergues, I can say from experience that we made a lot of friends on the walk. The best place is bar-cafe in a small village where everybody has to dine together in only one place or two. The only thing you have to bring along with you on the camino is your smile and the intention to make friend The rest will follow.
For fear of irritating the purists on this forum, I will send accommodation list to those who ask me privately. PM me if you wish.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We had a very helpful series of posts on this very subject recently. There was general agreement that it is not at all controversial for prilgrims to use accomodation other than albergues. I am sure your list will be very popular!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think many will find this document useful. If you you feel like, you could e-mail this document to me, then I would upload it to this website and post a link to it in this thread.

By the way, the next version of the forum will have the possibility for all users to attach documents to a post, something that I think will be very useful.

Un saludo,
Ivar

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hallo

We did the camino in March from Leon to Santiago and we feel private accomodations along the camino are a welcome sight. Especially if the albergue is closed for repairs. The albergue at Ocebreiro was closed, and if there was no private accomodation after the long and difficult climb, we definitely would have walked further on to either Hospital de condesa (atleast 8kms away). I would have preferred a private accomodation instead of staying at the albergue in Melide. Boy ,that was in a bad shape. I hope they fix it.

Regards
Bharat

Hi wichanee

We are half way through the camino and feel that hostals and casa rurales are much better option than a lot of the municipal albergues . We had no particular problem with the communal dormatories but we found the facilities in some to be too testing { I know we are too soft :!: }.

A very few euro's more secured privacy and hot water while not interfering with the normal friendship and companionship that is such a part of the camino. We continued to meet fellow pilgrims at cafes and churches as well as on our daily walk.Some great examples of private hostals that we have encountered so far include Orrison before Roncevalles, Maralotx in Cirauqui and En El Camino in Broadilla.

I would love to see your list partularly to find accomadation on the second half of the camino .

Buen Camino

Joe

Private albergues

A good resource for private albergues - some that can be booked in advance - is Redalbergues: Click on Folletos and you can download a brochure of their albergues.

http://www.redalberguessantiago.com/

If you would like to have a copy of the list of albergues/addresses etc only on a word document, let me know and I will mail it to you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We only used a handful of albergues along the Camino Frances. It was winter and many were shut, so we had no choice, but even those that were open were often absolutely freezing, and a bit dismal, being alone ina big building looking at the long table and imagining it filled iwth pilgrims eating and talking. So we went for the hot shower (sometimes a bath!, what luxury) and comfortable beds option. Each to his own. I think it would be a shame for anyone to think they had a fix on what is a "real" camino, we are all walking for different reasons and in different ways. As the French say, "Vive la difference".
Magnara

For all of you who have PM me, please wait a bit as I am still on the road and it would take time to compile the whole list. Try to do my best as soon as possible.
In Leon, the tourist office near the cathedrale has excellent booklet on rural tourism in Castille y Leon. The booklet lists all accomm (hostals and casa rurals CRACs,etc) and the telephone numbers are updated this year so it is quite accurate. You can also search for particular village's accom through their website.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
i am not sure if these names apply to the camino frances, however on the camino norte, there are hostels, pensiones and hotels. Look for pensiones, they are the best price, just like a hotel room. They were even cheaper than the youth hostels.
dawn

anyone get this list

I see wichanee has not been here for over a year.

Did anyone getthis private accomodations list?

Thank you! I am travelling with kids who need their hot bath/showers and sleep at night.

Re: anyone get this list

I'm sorry to be so late, but as I've been on holidays it's been impossible for me to write earlier.

If you are interested in private acomodation, I can give you a list from Astorga. Last time I had to use it was in 2002, but I suppose its not a problem.

Is it correct to publish it for everybody? I have no personal or economic interest in any of them, but other acomodation can not believe it.

Buen Camino.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Javier
There is no problem posting useful information that you have no private interest in.

Pilgrim Pictures
You were probably looking at the date to the left when he joined the date this post started by him was July 2nd 2007

It's convinient to call to make a reservation. I've slept in most of them, several years ago.

Astorga: Pension Garcia, 987-616046
Rabanal: El Refugio, 987-691274
La Posada de Gaspar: 987691079
Molinaseca: El Palacio, 987-453094
Ponferrada: Pensión San Miguel, 987-411047
Villafranca: El Cruce, 987540185
Casa Méndez, 987-542408
Triacastela: Bar Fernandez, 982-548148
Portomarin: Casa Perez, 982-545040
Palas de Rey: Casa Guntina, 982-380080
Casa Vilariño, 982-380152
Arzua: Casa Teodora, 981-500083
Pensión Carballeira, 981-500094
Santiago: Casa Ramos, 981-581859, very close to the Cathedral.

I hope it's useful to you.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would appreciate a copy of the hotel listing you have.
I plan to do The Camino not staying in the Albergues and will go sometime around May next year.

Bill.

Most of then offers you a good menus.

Both in Rabanal, the one in Ponferrada, both in Villafranca. The one in Triacastela offers you good breakfasts. The one in Portomarin is a very quiet place, a good man. Good meals, too. In Palas I prefer casa Guntina to sleep but casa Vilariño for meals. In Arzua both are good but Teodora is a bit more expensive but of course much better. And Casa Ramos ... my favorite place in Santiago until now, but my next time I'll visit "casa Ivar" ...

Buen Camino. May be you can lose something from albergues, but you will rest much beter.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if I could grab a copy of the list?

Buen Camino
Love and smiles
Sonia
:D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back