• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

You CAN walk a virtual Camino in Google Earth!

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
First: Unfortunately, threads on this huge forum will sink down rather quickly. I will now, in these times, bump up a thread that was posted 8 years ago by another member of this forum.

The reason: We will not be able to walk this year, obviously. But we CAN go virtual! For oldtimers it can be a trip down memory lane, for newbies/wannabies it can give a completely new insight into the CF. As said, one of our members posted some tools you can add to Google Earth, including the whole way. I use it now and then, and in these times, I may "walk" along the whole Camino, zooming in, looking around, trying to find albergues/cafes I've visited, and so on.

So, it IS possible to "walk" this year! :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
First: Unfortunately, threads on this huge forum will sink down rather quickly. I will now, in these times, bump up a thread that was posted 8 years ago by another member of this forum.

The reason: We will not be able to walk this year, obviously. But we CAN go virtual! For oldtimers it can be a trip down memory lane, for newbies/wannabies it can give a completely new insight into the CF. As said, one of our members posted some tools you can add to Google Earth, including the whole way. I use it now and then, and in these times, I may "walk" along the whole Camino, zooming in, looking around, trying to find albergues/cafes I've visited, and so on.

So, it IS possible to "walk" this year! :)

Also very cool - you can watch you tube vlogger Efren Gonzalez on his Camino France journey and many others (Norte, Francigena, Portugese, Primitvo) https://www.youtube.com/watch? You will enjoy his drone footage too. I found him after we walked the 500 mi trek and really enjoyed reliving it.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-walk-a-virtual-camino-in-google-earth.67287/ don't know if this one is the first vlog but it will get you to him and you can go back to find the beginning.
Enjoy! We were to do the Francigena beginning early August. Think it is best to wait a year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
John Sikora on YouTube has filmed the entire CF on a speeded-up process of 12x1. It takes about 10 minutes to watch each leg.

Hi all - this link has been posted before, a few years back ... there are Camino overlays for Google Earth. Click on the Camino you want after opening the link and Google Earth will open and it will overlay .... if you zoom in on a section you will discover that there are literally thousands of photographs that you can click on ...

Thinking of a particular place where you stopped and sat, repaired your feet and wondered at the beauty around you? Zoom in to there ...
the bridge where you met the Danish couple with the donkey? Zoom in ...
that little chapel where you sat and prayed? Zoom in and see if there are photos ...

all the photos were taken by previous pilgrims ..... a virtual Camino for you - but without the fear of bedbugs ... :)

Here the link to the overlays - but if you don't already have it you have to download and Install Google Earth first - it is free.

http://elcaminosantiago.com/Camino-Santiago-Map-Google-Earth-Camino.htm

Stay home, stay safe - Buen Camino!!

This is genius... thanks @alexwalker for bumping this up! I've got a big wall map, and Efren's Vlogs, and will be out as often as I can to clock up the kilometers, marking on my map the equivalent distance walked on the Frances, checking it out on google Earth, and possibly even starting the day with cafe con leche.... my dog is particularly keen to accompany me on this "camino"- unfortunately I can't bring him to Europe for the real thing, but he seems pretty happy with this alternative option!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Another bump for this one .... and it can be any Camino as long as you have the KMZ files. GE has been improved over time with the maps and you can use the 3D version to see how steep a climb might be so you can vary your route or distances between stops.

Fairly simple to use and brilliant if you use a touch screen to zoom, swivel and tilt.

Currently looking at Camino Portuguese.

Edit: If you put the GE App on your phone, you can use the phone to see what's around you when you travel - in 3D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for these links and bumps! Google Earth is a great planning tool. I'll tag these thread with "maps gps & tracks" so they will be found more easily.

If you get Google Cardboard or some other such stereosopic viewer that you can fit over your phone or attach to your computer, you can walk the Camino on Google Earth/Google Streetview in an immersive full-surround experience. I was doing that earlier in the pandemic.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm a bit late to the virtual Camino party.
I'm sure most of you have seen this but another YouTube user has recorded his entire Camino Francés from 2018.
Playlist here:
Each Etapa is 5 hours long.
Enjoy!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.