• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"You Can't Get There From Here!"

Terry Callery

Chi Walker
There is a running joke we Mainers tell about the tourist from New York City who stops to ask directions from a local fisherman.
"How do I get to Boothbay Harbor?" queries the city slicker.
The old fisherman scratches his head and begins to point South and says you head that-a-way....no...naw.
Then he points North and says take that road there....no...naw.
"Come to think of it - you can't get there from here!"

Sometimes I scratch my head at some of the questions asked on this forum...not that they aren't good questions...but they are
more accurately answered by going to the source. Asking me, a Mainer what the weather is like in Porto in March is a little like the joke referenced above. I planned the logistics for my last Camino from Lisbon to Santiago (traveling during the uncrowded months of February and March) using the following sources. Also while doing the research for the two books I wrote about my French and Portuguese Caminos, I referenced the following valuable resources.

Weather - AccuWeather.com - I checked it every morning to figure out if I needed to put on my water-proof Columbias and my Frogg Toggs paper thin ultralight rain suit. Just plug in the right city anywhere in the country you are in.

Accommodations and Route. Two websites are quite valuable giving routes distances and accommodations----- www.Gronze.com and www.WisePilgrim.com.
I rarely booked ahead, except at the Poet's Inn in Lisbon on my first night and I did that through www.Booking.com.

I planned my airline trip with AAA (check for your local website address) and got a fair of just $401 from JFK to Madrid for my next Camino on the Primitavo and Ingles. Also got flight insurance and emergency medical insurance for when I will be in Europe.

I used the John Brierley "Camino Portugues" guide book which is available on this website. I purchased two copies- one I kept at home as a reference for writing my book, since the other I destroyed by tearing out the one page map I needed for the day's Camino trek, putting just the one page in a Ziploc baggy for quick access in my pants pocket.

For very good background cultural, food and customs information in Portugal, Julie Dawn Fox, an English speaking ex-patriot now living in Portugal has a well written and insightful blog www.JulieDawnFox.com.

For great background information once in Spain check out www.GaliciaGuide.com.

I learned a bit of Portuguese before I went and found that the Pilsner Method where a new word is repeated at progressively increasing time intervals in a conversation style of learning was perfect for me. Great tricks offered -such as any word ending in "tion" changes to "cao" in the Portuguese. Information becomes "Informacao" in Portuguese for example. Gives you an instant 2,000 word vocabulary. Also you can get an instant translation on www.translate.google.com.

Or you could wait for an answer from the old fisherman guy on the side of the road, scratching his head.
Terence Callery
Any additions to this list from Forum members?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I forgot to mention www.Rome2Rio.com. I got a hold of the train schedule on the website from Madrid to Oviedo to start the Primitavo Route. I will walk for 10 days to Lugo and not rejoin the Route Frances. Rather I will get the Arriva Bus-- just once a day (according to Rome2Rio) to go from Lugo to Ferrol 13.50 Euros where I will start the Ingles Route to Santiago. Planning to walk to Finisterre and again checking with Rome2rio I will get the bus schedule to get me back to Santiago Finally using the same website for logistical info on "how to get there from here" I find 3 daily Renfre Trains (two through Orense) slightly over 5 hour rides back to Madrid.
Very handy travel planning resource.
Terence Callery

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There is a running joke we Mainers tell about the tourist from New York City who stops to ask directions from a local fisherman.
The old fisherman scratches his head and begins to point South and says you head that-a-way....no...naw.

Sometimes I scratch my head at some of the questions asked on this forum...not that they aren't good questions...but they are
more accurately answered by going to the source. Asking me, a Mainer what the weather is like in Porto in March is a little like the joke referenced above. I planned the logistics for my last Camino from Lisbon to Santiago (traveling during the uncrowded months of February and March) using the following sources. Also while doing the research for the two books I wrote about my French and Portuguese Caminos, I referenced the following valuable resources.

Weather - AccuWeather.com - I checked it every morning to figure out if I needed to put on my water-proof Columbias and my Frogg Toggs paper thin ultralight rain suit. Just plug in the right city anywhere in the country you are in.

Accommodations and Route. Two websites are quite valuable giving routes distances and accommodations----- www.Gronze.com and www.WisePilgrim.com.
I rarely booked ahead, except at the Poet's Inn in Lisbon on my first night and I did that through www.Booking.com.

I planned my airline trip with AAA (check for your local website address) and got a fair of just $401 from JFK to Madrid for my next Camino on the Primitavo and Ingles. Also got flight insurance and emergency medical insurance for when I will be in Europe.

I used the John Brierley "Camino Portugues" guide book which is available on this website. I purchased two copies- one I kept at home as a reference for writing my book, since the other I destroyed by tearing out the one page map I needed for the day's Camino trek, putting just the one page in a Ziploc baggy for quick access in my pants pocket.

For very good background cultural, food and customs information in Portugal, Julie Dawn Fox, an English speaking ex-patriot now living in Portugal has a well written and insightful blog www.JulieDawnFox.com.

I learned a bit of Portuguese before I went and found that the Pilsner Method where a new word is repeated at progressively increasing time intervals in a conversation style of learning was perfect for me. Great tricks offered -such as any word ending in "tion" changes to "cao" in the Portuguese. Information becomes "Informacao" in Portuguese for example. Gives you an instant 2,000 word vocabulary. Also you can get an instant translation on www.translate.google.com.

Or you could wait for an answer from the old fisherman guy on the side of the road, scratching his head.
Terence Callery
Isn't the Pilsner Method the one where you drink a glass of Czech beer every time you remember a word correctly ;)

Hi Terry, You are correct in your observations about many of the questions asked repeatedly on this forum. Probably 80% can be googled and many of the answers found. This forum is a social place where we can more personally help and encourage one another. I enjoy the camararderie of these virtual friendships where we have this one main "thing" in common that has brought us together. It provides interaction and feedback about the camino, whereas often back home, our friends and family have little interest in our enthusiasm and ramblings.☺
The links you have given in your post are very helpful, but in addition many of us are still drawn back to this forum, often times for pure entertainment (as in the "Not serious" thread). 😉

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The day I get cross answering a question for the nth time, is the day I hang it up. My mission, especially in the off-season, is to be helpful to as many forum members as I can.

Imagine how far a librarian would get telling every person who asks where to find a certain book.. "look it up in the card catalog" (or whatever one uses these days to locate a book in the library).

Anticipating blowback on this last point, personally, I use my library's online catalog and order books held for me. When they send me a message telling me the books are available, I go pick them up...easy peasy... I read three or four books weekly using this retrieval method.

I always suggest that people try the search function first, then ask the question once they have refined it using what they find through searching.

Hope this helps.

Hi Tom, I can see why you would get exasperated answering the same or similar questions for the umpteenth time. Your knowledge is far reaching and you have so much wise counsel to share to share with others, but I can understand your thinking that "enough is enough"!

Asking the question that's been answered time and again is more of a desire to get some company to alleviate your concern and worry. The librarian answer is very true in this case. I'd like to second or third the rome2rio website. It's been a lifesaver when the day is just too darn bad to walk in (heat). It lists all the alternatives to getting somewhere from where you are. In the vast majority of cases where I've researched it (on Caminos and other trips), it's been pretty much spot on. Terry's other comments are also very correct. Used them all and agree.

Only thing I'd add is using Fluenz for language. I've used them for Chinese, Portugues, and Spanish just to learn enough to get the basics.. They opt to teach you what you should know rather than language itself (i.e. how do you ask I want, I need, how much, etc.) www.fluenz.com.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I totally understand where you are coming from about supporting other pilgrims. It not the redundancy issue - its about getting an accurate answer directly from the source. You know that game "telegraph" where you sit in a circle and repeat the story from one person to another and the story morphs on each repetition.
It is also kind of a "give a man a fish and feed him for a day...teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime"
Telling someone when the bus leaves Santiago is terrific...telling them about Rome2Rio is well...ultimately more valuable for them in the long run.

Actually Jeff it is the Pimsleur Method - there you go - I did not provide the most accurate info - that is the point I was trying to make. Does this mean I don't get to drink the beer?

Now looking at the actually CD's it is the Simon & Shuster's Pimsleur Conversational European Portuguese.
I like the post that paint with a broad brush and inspire the spirit....I very much enjoy this site as well...people are very very generous with their knowledge.

@John Sikora I agree with your assessment. As an owner of the Pilgrimage Traveler website I get amazingly simple questions asked of me, when it would be so much easier to just do an internet search on your own. I agree that it is a reaching out for reassurance and the connection that is made there! While I smile and think not so good thoughts always, I breathe and then answer the question. The amazing response I get back is priceless!

I totally understand where you are coming from about supporting other pilgrims. It not the redundancy issue - its about getting an accurate answer directly from the source. You know that game "telegraph" where you sit in a circle and repeat the story from one person to another and the story morphs on each repetition.
It is also kind of a "give a man a fish and feed him for a day...teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime"
Telling someone when the bus leaves Santiago is terrific...telling them about Rome2Rio is well...ultimately more valuable for them in the long run.

Actually Jeff it is the Pimsleur Method - there you go - I did not provide the most accurate info - that is the point I was trying to make. Does this mean I don't get to drink the beer?

Now looking at the actually CD's it is the Simon & Shuster's Pimsleur Conversational European Portuguese.
I like the post that paint with a broad brush and inspire the spirit....I very much enjoy this site as well...people are very very generous with their knowledge.
I knew what you meant ;) I just think the Pilsner way is more fun - ¡Salud!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What you good kind guys need to remember is that THIS is a forum, and many new members are only used to Facebook type groups. Forums died out about 2008 and have been replaced by Facebook groups. This forum is well organised, with sub forums, tags etc and can be fairly easily searched. In total contrast, looking for past information on a Facebook page is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I joined the Le Puy facebook group and found it to be mainly a place to post lovely photos and say where and when people were going. Any questions that are asked rapidly get buried under later posts. As an oldy who does not do social media, I asked my tech savvy daughter if I was missing something. Nope, came back the reply. On a facebook page you are dependent on a kind someone referring you back to a relevant thread.

Isn't the Pilsner Method the one where you drink a glass of Czech beer every time you remember a word correctly ;)

Then there's also the Pimmsleur method. Listen carefully and you will hear the liason. Said slowly it is the Pimms Shloer method. You know, the dreadfully deceptive alcoholic drink served at Wimbledon along with strawberries and cream.

Of course, it should be easy to find factual information online. Sure, you can get climate graphs and weather reports with a simple search. But some discussions that emerge from those "Google-able," questions are often valuable in ways that factual sources of information aren't.

For instance, a person who has experienced the same route at the same time of year might warn you about a particular river crossing, or an albergue with poor heating. Sometimes the hoary old sailor has some worthwhile advice, above and beyond the factual answer to the question that you asked.

When Hunter Thompson wrote "Fear And Loathing On The Campaign Trail '72," it was described as "the most accurate and least factual," account of that campaign. Some of the discussions here are like that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Surely the Irishman leaning on the gates answer when asked for directions is still the best....................

....well I wouldn't start from here!

Terence Callery
Thank you! Precise and to the point. Very helpful!

I forgot to mention www.Rome2Rio.com. I got a hold of the train schedule on the website from Madrid to Oviedo to start the Primitavo Route. I will walk for 10 days to Lugo and not rejoin the Route Frances. Rather I will get the Arriva Bus-- just once a day (according to Rome2Rio) to go from Lugo to Ferrol 13.50 Euros where I will start the Ingles Route to Santiago. Planning to walk to Finisterre and again checking with Rome2rio I will get the bus schedule to get me back to Santiago Finally using the same website for logistical info on "how to get there from here" I find 3 daily Renfre Trains (two through Orense) slightly over 5 hour rides back to Madrid.
Very handy travel planning resource.
Terence Callery

When are you going, Terry? I am also looking to take the train from Madrid to Oviedo (June 5th) but not seeing the train schedule on Rome2Rio.com. I like your idea of walking to Lugo and then busing to Ferrol for the Ingles. I don't want to figure it out. I want you to tell me! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You should read my post on quitting the Primitivo .
It is very extreme country with few bars and hotels
Except in the major cities. Go to my profile and read the post from Feb 17
Called,"Quiting the
Primitivo! Of course I am 66 and for someone younger it is much more doable .
The ascecents and and descents are killer
Out of Salas and Polo Allende you have 600 meter climbs
If the story,of a building is four meters, then it it the same as going up 150 flights of stairs in a high rise building tower!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back