• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

You know that you are a pilgrim if/when ...

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
  • You put cream on your feet before you take care of your face.
  • You cut off all labels in your clothes, even in those that will never see the inside of a backpack.
  • You sometimes sleep at home in your sleeping bag, just out of Camino nostalgia.
  • You automatically reach for your Credential when asked for a passport.
  • You think of the money in your saving account only in terms of 'Camino Kilometers'.
  • You get an invitation to a posh event and you realise that you only own hiking boots/shoes and sandals.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
* You open this forum in the morning before using the bathroom.
* Your back pack sits in the corner ready to go.
* You are counting the days until your next pilgrimage.
* You happily accept the fact that this is a personal addiction.
* You wife and friends think you are nuts and you don't care.
* You have made new friendships that will last for a lifetime.
* You can't wait to say, "Buen Camino."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
After several weeks gloomily spent 24/7 flat in bed after a brutal camino tumble at last a new double pleasure has arrived of simply walking unaided once again albeit slowly with a wobble while imagining a future journey.

After several weeks gloomily spent 24/7 flat in bed after a brutal camino tumble at last a new double pleasure has arrived of simply walking unaided once again albeit slowly with a wobble while imagining a future journey.
I'm glad to hear that things are moving in the right direction for you, Margaret. I hope that those imaginings sustain and motivate you as your body recovers from the tumble.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love that idea! Does it help you to get back to sleep, or does it keep you awake longer as you imagine all those wonderful places?

Depends on the stress of the workday....But it works quicker than using the same method searching for female writers ...I know I'm a sad case :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
  • When the camino outfit still hangs in the closet prominently - even after having already returned many moons before
  • When you still meet pilgrims'off camino' and delight in their company and conversation -
  • When the sun isn't setting on a day during which one hasn't thought of the camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When the sun isn't setting on a day during which one hasn't thought of the camino

I have only walked for 5 days on the Camino, from SJPdP to Puente la Reina, and I return there next April for another 5 days walking - yet the Camino occupies my thoughts every single day at some point. Actually at more than a few points truth be told. I think I may be obsessed...

• When the yoga instructor tells you at the end of the session to lie down, close your eyes, and find yourself in your favourite place--and you find yourself with a 7.5kg pack on your back and your boots on your feet and you are happily striding along on the meseta under a warm sun and cloud-embellished skies. [I'm glad I'm not the only weird one here.]

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When you smile at each person that passes you and only just remember not to say "Buen Camino".
Wishing you a full recovery and soon fit and well again Margaret .

When you measure distance in how many hours it will take to walk there.
When you see a camino town on a map, and remember who you were with there, what you talked about, what was for dinner that night;
When you feel like an obnoxious know-it-all when walking and talking with newbies... and you just finally gotta shut up and let them make their own mistakes and walk their own camino;
When the US Thanksgiving story is told, and you gotta remind yourself that not all "Pilgrims" are the modern kind!

When you have camino towns on your weather app and check the weather in Pamplona, Leon, Salamanca, Oviedo And Santiago before you check the weather at home.

When I was given my first credential in 2012, the lovely lady that did it looked at me straight in the eye and said "From now on, you are no longer a tourist but a pilgrim for the rest of your life". Now I realize she's absolutely right. To my sisters and brothers of the Camino :)

... When you feel like an obnoxious know-it-all when walking and talking with newbies... and you just finally gotta shut up and let them make their own mistakes and walk their own camino;...

Bows head in shame. Been there, got the blame und the guilt. SY *Hoping to shut up any time soon*

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When you feel like an obnoxious know-it-all when walking and talking with newbies... and you just finally gotta shut up and let them make their own mistakes and walk their own camino;
Bows head in shame. Been there, got the blame und the guilt. SY *Hoping to shut up any time soon*
Please don't! The same goes for all you other 'veterans' who might be having that same thought; If you shut up I'm outta here. Because Domigee is right on:
Yes but...NO!!! ;)
It DOES help to hear advice from peeps who have been there, done it ... I am forever thankful to an experienced pilgrim whom I met on my first camino, I had nooooooo idea :oops:

And loving this thread! So...

When you find yourself relating to everyone as if they're part of your camino family.
When you can receive what life offers graciously...no matter what.
When you're not so reactive about foibles--yours and other people's.
When you don't have to be on the Camino to feel on the Camino.
(Boy...I'm not at all there yet...it may take 'a few' more times out there...;))

And Margaret...so delighted to know you are on the mend. Please keep letting us know who you are doing...and my you heal pronto!!

When you dedicate one dresser drawer to camino clothes, and smile because your stuff doesn't take up any room.
When getting your shell back in one piece becomes paramount.
When you have several airlines set up to send you alerts when your airline ticket reaches a certain price...
When you realize that in the space of 12 hours, you have read entire threads about such stuff as whether to fry or microwave the potato before putting it in the tortilla, and whether or not the potato goes in before the egg, or visa versa, and you remember every little part of the conversation and it is funny for all the right reasons.
When you know the forum so well that you recognize friends, close friends, family-like friends, and people that are just people for now, but it's all quite alright...

Buen Camino :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
  • You cut off all labels in your clothes, even in those that will never see the inside of a backpack.
  • You sometimes sleep at home in your sleeping bag, just out of Camino nostalgia.
  • You think of the money in your saving account only in terms of 'Camino Kilometers'.
  • You get an invitation to a posh event and you realise that you only own hiking boots/shoes and sandals.
I must be a pilgrim :)

.....All of the above....for sure :) (especially the part about- spouse and friends think I'm nuts and I REALLY don't care)

When St. Anthony inconveniently finds and returns to you the weight you lost in Spain, and you start scheming on how to lose it another time.
Wait, he also does this to others? It's the only reason I keep going back! In all seriousness, most of the answers given above are not about being a pilgrim but just a recurent long distance walker, and in particular in this case a Spanish paths long distamce walker.

All your pants have zip off pant legs
You ask for coffee con leche instead of coffee with cream
You to Subways and order a bocadillo

In all seriousness, most of the answers given above are not about being a pilgrim but just a recurent long distance walker, and in particular in this case a Spanish paths long distamce walker.
Well, it's just in fun, Anemone!:)
Perhaps we can clarify?
You know you're a pilgrim when...
Versus:
You know you have a Camino obsession when...

(They're actually two very different questions, though many of us fall into both/either categories....)

Well, it's just in fun, Anemone!:)
Perhaps we can clarify?
You know you're a pilgrim when...
Versus:
You know you have a Camino obsession when...

(They're actually two very different questions, though many of us fall into both/either categories....)
When first action of each day and last action of each night is to check latest news from the forum.When the only books you now read are about the Camino.When you can watch six ways to Santiago twice in succession and still live each step as if it were your own.THEN you have an obsession.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I know I am a pilgrim when at regular intervals on my (almost) daily walk I say the same little excerpt from "St Patrick's Breastplate" that I said when passing each distance marker on the CF. It helps me maintain the connection until I get back there next April.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Steve
  • When you're counting sheep at night to fall asleep . . . . they are Manchega.
I try and count my blessings. This way, I feel at peace and fall asleep. Buen Camino

I so empathise with you... a Healing Camino is a very different and difficult path for a pilgrim to be forced to detour upon... sending you warm thoughts and heartfelt wishes for a full recovery. At least we can both get up from our beds and walk - a simple pleasure denied many.

You know that you are a pilgrim if/when...
  • although you've stopped walking and are thousands of miles distant, the journey lingers on and you are always on the Way
  • you carry all the Camino within you as though it has stretched your soul and heart
  • you've come to realise that anywhere is walking distance if only you have the time

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
  • For Christmas you give Brierley Books to people you know who have expressed an interest in the Camino. (I have two wrapped waiting for Dec. 25.)
  • When shopping for red wine, you almost always get Rioja

How timely..

Have just had 2 friends over for dinner who have expressed a desire to walk the Camino. Over paella and Rioja vino tinto, I presented them with a few guidebooks on different routes and a shell each from my walk at the beach.

I'm sure that they were already on the Camino as they floated out the door.

Margaret I do wish you a continued recovery……and look forward to a time where I can see a message or two from mspath 'Live On The Camino'. All best wishes….Maggie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When you refer to anything within ten miles as being walking distance and are then honestly surprised when your friend says "Only for you."
When scallop shells can conjure feelings of nostalgia.
When you read one of these strings and think to yourself, I wouldn't mind waking a while with these people.

How timely..

Have just had 2 friends over for dinner who have expressed a desire to walk the Camino. Over paella and Rioja vino tinto, I presented them with a few guidebooks on different routes and a shell each from my walk at the beach.

I'm sure that they were already on the Camino as they floated out the door.
Can I come next time? Oh the luscious memories of Rioja vino tinto and paella!

• When the yoga instructor tells you at the end of the session to lie down, close your eyes, and find yourself in your favourite place--and you find yourself with a 7.5kg pack on your back and your boots on your feet and you are happily striding along on the meseta under a warm sun and cloud-embellished skies. [I'm glad I'm not the only weird one here.]

When you recognize your hospitaleros on this forum!

Hello Marylynn, I met you this summer in Estella with my friend Ryan from Ohio that teaches in Ethiopa.

Last edited:
Hi Dennis so true, the only change is my backpack sits on a shelve but it has been retired for a lighter one for 2016, and my poles seem to smile at me when I pass them by. My wife and friends just think I am plain crazy, so I just smile to myself and picture all those Camino smiles.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
  • For Christmas you give Brierley Books to people you know who have expressed an interest in the Camino. (I have two wrapped waiting for Dec. 25.)
  • When shopping for red wine, you almost always get Rioja
My gifts are not Brierly books but I frame my Camino photos as gifts.

A wobble on the Camino is better than running for a bus, get well.

… you haven't even done your first camino (March 20 2016! yay!) and you're already empathising with everything written above.

Oh, and you spend part of every day checking the blog, thinking about the Camino and walking rather than driving everywhere with my trusty sticks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When you measure distance in how many hours it will take to walk there.!
Absolutely! Usually for weeks after returning from Santiago, I convert all distances into hours/ days walking. ( it happened even today)!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I walk into the Cathedral of Santiago, I feel I have come home! I have a special pillar that I will always touch, if I walk through the side door facing S. Martin Pinario

When time.
And distance cease to matter.

The crunch of gravel under your feet
The accompanying wind, whispers softly secret confidences in your ears

The wicked world falls away..dross,and optional to the day..more often and more each time, each day.

You find your wholeness
Your..
Ness..again
That essential wonderfull you, so far gone for far too long...
You are growing again, your "leaves"
Pages in your book of days.added
As the stain leaves your soul.

Time and distance
Spending the time, in your distance wisely.."spend" your time you have...
All roads lead somewhere
No road leads nowhere
If you found yourself on an unexpected turn
Go see what is around the bend

The road provides..did you sit..and take from that table?
Do you sit late in the deeps of nite
In the cups of lethe
And remember?
Do you, Pilgrim...?
Hear your steps out there on the road
Echoes of who you were
Who
You are?

Did you...Peregrino
Step from the path and into the river of stars?
Did you find yourself..of a sudden
Surrounded by all the others?

You recognize them
And you are recognized
A million smiles
All those gone before know you by your light
All those now, see your light..
Some
Will follow this light
To join the millenial march

One step
Another step..hola! Buen Camino!

Be Blessed Pilgrim on your way

When time.

The wicked world falls away..dross,and optional to the day..more often and more each time, each day.

You find your wholeness
Your..
Ness..again

Time and distance
All roads lead somewhere
No road leads nowhere

In the cups of lethe
And remember?
Do you, Pilgrim...?
Echoes of who you were
Who
You are?

Did you...Peregrino

You recognize them
And you are recognized
A million smiles
Some
Will follow this light

One step

Well done

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
(more along the lines of obsessed than true pilgrim)
When your friends are sick of hearing about it but everyone new seems so fascinated.
When you decide to go to work even though you are not feeling well so that you don't waste that ETO (vacation time).
When you start running out of new Caminos to try.
When you actually have 2 or 3 "Camino Stories" (seemingly miraculous events associated with "The Camino Provides") of your own.
When you have openly thought about 2 or 3 eternal resting places along the path where you'd be satisfied being laid to rest (ashes at least.) For me, my favorite is on the hills, overlooking the sea, between Irun and San Sebastian on the Norte. There are grave markers there scattered about.

… you haven't even done your first camino (March 20 2016! yay!) and you're already empathising with everything written above.

Oh, and you spend part of every day checking the blog, thinking about the Camino and walking rather than driving everywhere with my trusty sticks.
You will enjoy, but be prepared once you start you will find a reason to go again, and again.

€83,-
You know you are a camino pilgrim when you find yourself constantly plotting your return. Trying to find those five weeks off from family and work so you can return to see what you may have missed the first time. Shouting EUREKA when you think you have found that time slot, even if it's 5 years away!

...when you can't be bothered to put away your backpack, because you're sure you'll be using it again soon, and that pair of hiking trousers unaccountably refuse to move from the back of the badroom chair to the closet because they make you smile every time you see them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When time.

You find your wholeness
Your..
Ness..again

Time and distance
All roads lead somewhere
No road leads nowhere

In the cups of lethe
And remember?
Do you, Pilgrim...?
Echoes of who you were
Who
You are?

Did you...Peregrino

You recognize them
And you are recognized
A million smiles
Some
Will follow this light

One step

Wonderful alliteration! William, you seriously need to consider collecting your poems and prose into a collection.

Really, it is VERY good. Your use of the ancient Greek term "lethe" threw me at first, until I looked it up. I honestly thought you meant "leche."

Using Wiki, I learned that "Lethe" was also the name of the Greek spirit of forgetfulness and oblivion, with whom the river was often identified. In Classical Greek, the word lethe literally means "oblivion", "forgetfulness", or "concealment".

Thank you for expressing what we all feel so well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wonderful alliteration! William, you seriously need to consider collecting your poems and prose into a collection.

Really, it is VERY good. Your use of the ancient Greek term "lethe" threw me at first, until I looked it up. I honestly thought you meant "leche."

Using Wiki, I learned that "Lethe" was also the name of the Greek spirit of forgetfulness and oblivion, with whom the river was often identified. In Classical Greek, the word lethe literally means "oblivion", "forgetfulness", or "concealment".

Thank you for expressing what we all feel so well.
I am humbled that my words would touch your spirits in some small way.
It is,my way of paying back,what I get from you guys...

My Camino may have been different in starting, but will end up following the forums members worthy steps.
My heart, is out"there"
Out on some quiet golden sunlit road...

It is a fine life to have lived, knowing that for some..All Roads will lead to Santiago.

€60,-
When the most comfortable foot wear you have is your pair of hiking boots.

When it doesn't feel really comfortable walking without your staff.

When people ask you "Why are you walking so much?" and you reply"I have to keep fit for when I go on pilgrimage again next year".

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Last edited:
When walking along a road, and noticing the street paint used in the center line and parking lane is "that yellow", your eyes instantly search the curbs and building corners sure you'll see a beloved yellow arrow.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When your mom calls to ask "do you want any Camino equipment this Christmas?" (Best mom, I love her! :D)
When the thermometer reaches zero degrees and all you can think of is Caldo Gallego.
When any walk becomes more pleasant because it's "Camino training".

€60,-
I am humbled that my words would touch your spirits in some small way.
It is,my way of paying back,what I get from you guys...

My Camino may have been different in starting, but will end up following the forums members worthy steps.
My heart, is out"there"
Out on some quiet golden sunlit road...

It is a fine life to have lived, knowing that for some..All Roads will lead to Santiago.

William:

Your contribution is huge. Most of us just tell it like it is. You tell it like it resonates in our hearts.

That is a HUGE contribution my friend! I cut and save to Word everything you write, in poetic meter. Keep it up.

One of these days, Ivar, or someone else (SYates?, Rebekah?), should collect all these poems in the public sector here in the forum, edit and compile them into one volume. Perhaps he (Ivar) could raise funds for the forum or another Camino-related charity by making the collected works available for a nominal fee on the forum, under the resources section... Just thinkin...

I hope this adds to the dialog.

• when you think that walking the camino cures all health problems, including warts
  • when your most favourite garment is a buff
  • when all your clothes are either plastic or merino and have deep pockets
  • when you eek out the soap to make it last
  • when you automatically take tissues into public toilets
  • when your partner's snores are as soothing as a lullaby

When your wardrobe is half full of walking gear and your car boot contains four pairs of boots, gaiters, gloves caps and hats for all weathers. Just in case you decide you might walk sometime today!!!!:confused:

Or in my case...when I can't sleep I try to find a Camino town/ village beginning with every letter in the alphabet...
When our son was little and couldn't sleep I'd have him close his eyes and mentally pack his suitcase (we traveled a lot and we'd have him do his own packing). He'd be asleep in no time.

Absolutely! Usually for weeks after returning from Santiago, I convert all distances into hours/ days walking. ( it happened even today)!
Before my camino last year I changed over to metric. And knew that a good day on the camino was going to be the same (24km) as walking from my home to the airport a few towns (and rivers) over. Gave me a good sense of perspective (until I got there of course!!!)

I still (at 76) mentally "measure" distance walked on the camino by distances I walked or biked long ago as a child. Kindergarten was 1 mile from home, high school 2 miles, and grandma's house just over 12 miles. Hence each camino day I hope "to walk to grandma's".

MM

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a friend who walks thousands of miles at a time, she identifies herself as a long walker. I have at times spent 25 days +walking just to fulfill a need to break from the congestion of life, but I don't consider myself a pilgrim when I walk for 300 miles to deal with our societies ills. There are reasons I've walked the various routes of the Camino and they have been for spiritual reasons. I have walked the 92 km of the Croagh Patrick pilgrimage because of the need to reconnect with my God and contemplate my sins.
Pilgrimage to me is different than long walking. However both can be fulfilling.

... One of these days, Ivar, or someone else (SYates?, Rebekah?), should collect all these poems in the public sector here in the forum, edit and compile them into one volume. Perhaps he (Ivar) could raise funds for the forum or another Camino-related charity by making the collected works available for a nominal fee on the forum, under the resources section... Just thinkin...

I would be very happy to help with such a project. Buen Camino, SY

When any walk becomes more pleasant because it's "Camino training".
I LOVE this one....it's so true for me. Before I ever even heard of the camino I remember I made it three miles one day while I was out walking. Oh my goodness, was I PROUD of that! haha!
I have never considered walking 10 or 12 miles in one day with the possibility of enjoying it much less taking on a journey like the camino. That has all changed now.
(now I can't imagine those who actual walk 20 or 25 miles - or more in one day!!!)

I find walking into the wilderness has now become my training for the Camino. Primarily because it is so much quieter than roads. Yet I miss the people & oddly the bars. So in the spring I have a walk to All the microbreweries about a 110 mile or 177k round trip. Just to build up a good thirst.

I can't imagine those who actual walk 20 or 25 miles - or more in one day
Who knows, Angie? The day you do this you will feel like superwoman! The first time I did 32km it was by mistake, and I was surprised that it wasn't so bad. And there were big ups and downs that day (it was from Rabanal to Ponferrada). Now I wonder if 40 isn't just another case of the mind making a 'No way could I do that!' story. That's a story with only a few words...but it packs a big punch.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
- When I can't sleep and I'm up reading this forum in the middle of the night, knowing I have to get up early.
- When coming up with ways to take 5 weeks straight off from work, without quitting.
- When I feel more connected to those here and what I read than the people in my every day life.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...
In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back