• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

You Know You're Going On The Camino When...

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2016
You're constantly in this forum
You wake up and the first thing you check is your backpack
You come home and the first thing you check is your backpack
You visit all the sporting goods in your area on your spare time
You start buying gear and returning them
You wear your boots to church 'cause you're breaking them in...with your dress or suit
You put on your rain gear and stand in the rain to test it
You put on your backpack while cleaning your house
You're obsessed getting your backpack lighter
You don't want to admit that you still want to look good in your hiking clothes
You start to itch when you see posts in the forum about bed bugs
You start looking for a perfect rock
Your friends think you're crazy
You start saying buen Camino at a grocery store
You start speaking in Spanish and a little bit of French to your kids
You pack and unpack your backpack... 30 times & 2 months prior
You become an expert on backpacking gear even if this is your first backpacking trip
You've watch the movie The Way at least 3 times
You have hundreds of pages printed about the Camino... Maps, albergues, etc
You've watch all the YouTube videos of everyone else's Camino and packing list videos
You will watch the movie The Way 3 more times before you leave

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@MeanPhilippine

especially when you get up during the night - 'I'll just see...'
and it's right beside the bed where you took it off
you mean that you aren't wearing it to work and back????
they greet you by your first name
or you keep it 'just in case' or to aid a friend's Camino
You wear your boots to church 'cause you're breaking them in...with your dress or suit
you have other shoes???
or the shower or garden hose if it's summer in Australia
or just wear it all day anyway
some obsessions are healthy
but you catch yourself looking sideways in shop windows
and check your own bed at home 'for practice'
to add to your ever growing collection
define 'Normal'
you find 30 ways to say 'Buen' and stress over which is the right one
Siri just opens up DuoLingo when you reach for your iPhone
and it's still not right
You become an expert on backpacking gear even if this is your first backpacking trip
define 'Expert'
you own the DVD and hold movie nights
your Kindle recommendations are all Camino related
You've watch all the YouTube videos of everyone else's Camino and packing list videos
your YouTube account only recommends Camino videos
plus Six Ways to Santiago, Life in a Walk...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@MeanPhilippine

especially when you get up during the night - 'I'll just see...'
and it's right beside the bed where you took it off
you mean that you aren't wearing it to work and back????
they greet you by your first name
or you keep it 'just in case' or to aid a friend's Camino
you have other shoes???
or the shower or garden hose if it's summer in Australia
or just wear it all day anyway
some obsessions are healthy
but you catch yourself looking sideways in shop windows
and check your own bed at home 'for practice'
to add to your ever growing collection
define 'Normal'
you find 30 ways to say 'Buen' and stress over which is the right one
Siri just opens up DuoLingo when you reach for your iPhone
and it's still not right
define 'Expert'
you own the DVD and hold movie nights
your Kindle recommendations are all Camino related
your YouTube account only recommends Camino videos
plus Six Ways to Santiago, Life in a Walk...
I know this thread seems like a joke, but just about everyone have done some, if not all of what's on the list and what others added.
@Wokabaut_Meri, thank you for taking the time to make the comments. We all have our reasons to go on the Camino but humor is needed once in a while.
Look at me, responding in this forum at 6:00 AM!!!

Nothing wrong with a bit of light humour! It balances out all the serious stuff and is really appreciated. Thank you.

By the way, it's 11:30pm here in Australia.

Have a wonderful Camino and come back and do a 'You Know you've been on a Camino when...'

Nothing wrong with a bit of light humour! It balances out all the serious stuff and is really appreciated. Thank you.

By the way, it's 11:30pm here in Australia.

Have a wonderful Camino and come back and do a 'You Know you've been on a Camino when...'
I will, but after, You might just be a Pilgrim...
BTW, I love your country, especially Brisbane, been there twice.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You know you're going on the Camino (AGAIN) when you are about three days away from Santiago and you don't want this amazing adventure to end.

You got me at 'You don't want to admit that you still want to look good in your hiking clothes'. My biggest stressor has been about vanity: what will I do without my usual cosmetics/facial creams/hair goo? And, I've bought lots of kind of cute hiking stuff, most of which will not come with me, unless I want a very heavy pack.

And I'm 67!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You got me at 'You don't want to admit that you still want to look good in your hiking clothes'. My biggest stressor has been about vanity: what will I do without my usual cosmetics/facial creams/hair goo? And, I've bought lots of kind of cute hiking stuff, most of which will not come with me, unless I want a very heavy pack.

And I'm 67!
That's why I like that poster at REI... It's humbling to know that you have everything you need in your backpack. Im paraphrasing...

When you go anywhere (work, dinner, movies...) you now calculate the distance in how long you think it would take to walk it....
And you have friends measure distances from a to b in their cars so you can start getting a feel for kilometres, as opposed to miles ..... this latter bit for us oldies.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And you have friends measure distances from a to b in their cars so you can start getting a feel for kilometres, as opposed to miles ..... this latter bit for us oldies.
Things we do before, during and after the Camino are funny but true

One of the nice things about this forum is having members strewn from one end of the globe to the other, so that all of us night owls don't feel idiotic about liking or posting things at 3 am And I still convert distances here into kms, thinking "well that's not too far, I could have done that easily before stopping for lunch". And if I walk to our local grocery store and buy more than I had intended, I delight in weighing my pack when I get home and finding it's well over twenty pounds and it didn't bother me. Hopefully September 2016.....

And I'm 67!

It's called Camino Chic and it's a very trendy look here on the Forum :cool:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you Margaret! At this point I'll be happy with simply a bit of sun...knowing full well the gifts of challenge!;)

When you look for a Camino forum?
When you wake up each morning and know how many weeks before you go?
When you are such a Caminoholic that your computer greets you with "Good morning Allan. You Have 6 weeks and 1 day before your Camino"
Sounds crazy to someone who've never been called by the Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When you look for a Camino forum?
When you wake up each morning and know how many weeks before you go?
When you are such a Caminoholic that your computer greets you with "Good morning Allan. You Have 6 weeks and 1 day before your Camino"
Oooh I want that app!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lets see-----20 days and a wake up! :cool:

23 and a wakey for me.

When you wonder if the people you are on a video conference with can tell that you are pilgrim on the bottom and business on top....

Buen Camino all.

You know you're going on your Camino when you give your 6th grade math class (learning the metric system) the following problem:

From St Jean Pied de Port, France to Burgos, Spain is about 180 miles. What is that distance in kilometers?
If we have 11 days to walk from St. Jean to Burgos how many kilometers should we walk per day? How many meters? How many feet?

You know you're going on your Camino when you give your 6th grade math class (learning the metric system) the following problem:

From St Jean Pied de Port, France to Burgos, Spain is about 180 miles. What is that distance in kilometers?
If we have 11 days to walk from St. Jean to Burgos how many kilometers should we walk per day? How many meters? How many feet?
Ha! I love it! I'm glad I'm not the only with crazy obsession

I love this forum - im in Perth Australia and starting from SJPP 26 april - first timers and cannot wait!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love this forum - im in Perth Australia and starting from SJPP 26 april - first timers and cannot wait!!
Hi Meggsy, I'm in Perth too, starting SJPP April 11. Also a first timer and counting the days (20 to departure)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
...........thinking "well that's not too far, I could have done that easily before stopping for lunch".
Isn't that the truth. :) I still chuckle at the memory of arriving at a certain intersection on my way home from an urban hike/errand excursion, and thinking, "Almost home," then realizing that I actually still had forty minutes to go.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Like this minute when I am about to arrange to meet someone and have worked out how long it will take me to walk there so I can calculate what is the earliest to meet!

Yes done that!
A bit like testing the waterproof gaiters which at least i found out were water absorbent!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@MeanPhilippine
lmaosmiley.gif

@peregrina2000 Thanks for posting that link! Between these two posts, I can hardly see or breathe from laughing so hard!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You know all the characters on Martin Sheen's movie The Way.
You get excited when you see an alert next to your name in this forum
Your screensaver at work has something to do with the Camino
You're ask for the time, you reply in military time
You're a week away and you're still not done packing and unpacking
(From one of our members in here) you're taring out tags on clothing and gear to shave off weight

50 days to go and walking round the house with my backpack. Love it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's so good to know I'm not alone. My bedroom is full of backpack necessities (packed), "just-in-case" items ( packed, unpacked X 3), last minute switch-outs ( maybe that poncho versus this one) and what is all the rest of that stuff.

It's so good to know I'm not alone. My bedroom is full of backpack necessities (packed), "just-in-case" items ( packed, unpacked X 3), last minute switch-outs ( maybe that poncho versus this one) and what is all the rest of that stuff.
I'm a week out and I'm repacking to make sure I'm not taking too much

Don't forget to make copies of your ID, Credit Card/s and Passport (the US one), to keep SEPARATELY from the real goods...on your body, backpack or where ever! ;)

Yes, three weeks today until I start in Le Puy. Driving everyone crazy with weighing everything & getting pack to lightest possible. Will be one set of clothes on & one in the bag, plus two extra undies & socks!! I have learnt in the past that you really can exist with the very bare essentials. At least I don't have to carry a tent & trangia on this journey. Complete strangers stop me to ask what I am training for, as I have been hiking 15-20 km most days for the past couple of months with full pack along the local foreshore trail. I have been studying the forum avidly & hoping I have prepared my body at least for the next 4 months.

Yes, three weeks today until I start in Le Puy. Driving everyone crazy with weighing everything & getting pack to lightest possible. Will be one set of clothes on & one in the bag, plus two extra undies & socks!! I have learnt in the past that you really can exist with the very bare essentials. At least I don't have to carry a tent & trangia on this journey. Complete strangers stop me to ask what I am training for, as I have been hiking 15-20 km most days for the past couple of months with full pack along the local foreshore trail. I have been studying the forum avidly & hoping I have prepared my body at least for the next 4 months.
I think I'm going to start working out tomorrow, I leave 4 April :(

€83,-
To all those about to leave, I still have 5 months but wife has given me a 3month pass I think she hopes it will finally get out of my system. I have not the heart to tell her NAH, 2 CH and counting Camino de Levante, Portugese and another if I have any days left over ....

To all those about to leave, I still have 5 months but wife has given me a 3month pass I think she hopes it will finally get out of my system. I have not the heart to tell her NAH, 2 CH and counting Camino de Levante, Portugese and another if I have any days left over ....
Should be CF....2013 and 2014.

...Will be one set of clothes on & one in the bag, plus two extra undies & socks!! I have learnt in the past that you really can exist with the very bare essentials...
LUV this mindset!!!

€46,-

Haha, this one was too good to pass up. Check, check, check...I've done all of the above.

I'm actually looking forward to the actual start of my Camino so I can stop all this nonsens more than the Camino itself (almost). It was fun for a while, but after doing them too many times it becomes a little bitt stressfull to be honest.

You made me laugh out loud at myself...thanks! ;)

:D When you have to work really hard to prevent your eyes from glazing over whenever anyone speaks of anything non-Camino.
When my husband eyes glaze over when I don't speak of anything but my upcoming Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Haha, this one was too good to pass up. Check, check, check...I've done all of the above.

I'm actually looking forward to the actual start of my Camino so I can stop all this nonsens more than the Camino itself (almost). It was fun for a while, but after doing them too many times it becomes a little bitt stressfull to be honest.

You made me laugh out loud at myself...thanks! ;)
I have "You Know You're on the Camino When..."
BTW, keep your packing list simple, to keep you from ditching stuff while you're here. You don't need much.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back