• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

You rock, Via de la Plata!

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Over 5,000 pilgrims have undertaken the Camino de Santiago from Sevilla so far this year
The council promotes a guide the people of the province that make up Route Mozárabe.

EUROPA PRESS, SEVILLA | UPDATED 09/23/2013 - 18:17
The Council of Seville through Prodetur, in collaboration with the Friends of the Camino de Sevilla, has published 10,000 brochures route information to facilitate the pilgrims who choose to walk the path Mozarabic integrated into the Via de la Plata. And is that more than 5,000 people have taken from Seville the Camino de Santiago in so far this year.A total of six municipalities in the province make this journey; Camas, Santiponce, Guillena, Castilblanco de los Arroyos, Almaden de la Plata, and El Real de la Jara, whose territories are maintained ongoing activities to attract the pilgrim.The council has been working with the Association since its inception, it is now 20 years, having financed and in 2000 another guide Mozarabic along the Via de la Plata, comprising the Camino from Seville to Santiago by Orense and link to Astorga. With this new publication, are promoted members touristically municipalities of the province with detailed information on the routes, landmarks, lodging, etc ... We must keep in mind that Seville is the second city in the world, behind Le Puy in France, far more than 1,000 kilometers from Santiago de Compostela where more people start the path, having already seen so far this year more than 5,000 pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Indeed it is. It is my favorite camino by a long shot!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
and where can we get these brochures

I see it looming in my future.
I'm not happy about it.
It's too long, too hot, too lonely.
How do I get it out of my future.
Regds
Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello falcon269,

Thanks for the info. I hope to do the vdlp again in the spring when it is not so wet and cold.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This article is misleading.

If by the end of September only 5,000 pilgrims have walked the via de la plata from Seville, then the number of pilgrims doing this route is in fact either static or even falling. Officially just over 6,700 pilgrims have walked the via de la plata and arrived in Santiago as of the end of August, so a number have started elsewhere.

Last year's total number for this route was just over 8,000 people. Officially just over 1,600 left from Seville and walked all the way to Santiago as of the end of August, so I like to know what happened the balance of pilgrims that started in Seville but did not arrive in Santiago.

I doubt we will see another 2,000 pilgrims walk the via de la plata during the last 3 months of this year, so my guess the numbers for the via de la plata will be lower as compared to 2012, as more pilgrims choose to walked either the Portugal route or the Norte route.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This article is not only misleading but incorrect. First of all the statistics for September are not yet published as the month is not even over. Secondly I am collecting statistics on the VdlP (thanks to JohnnyWalker and the Oficina) and these figures don't jive with the article. As Jirit mentioned there were only 1,678 pilgrims leaving Sevilla during Dec-Aug with a total of 6,763 arriving in Santiago to date. I have data for the other cities along the Plata but I couldn't copy and paste the chart into this thread.

For comparision in all of 2012 only 2,287 pilgrims arrived from Sevilla which represented 28,02% of the total.

Jirit:
I doubt we will see another 2,000 pilgrims walk the via de la plata during the last 3 months of this year, so my guess the numbers for the via de la plata will be lower as compared to 2012, as more pilgrims choose to walked either the Portugal route or the Norte route.

We actually will have 4 months till year end but looking at the previous 2 years for the months of Sept-Dec. (1,744 in 2012 and 1,874 in 2011) you just may be right. On the other hand from 2008 to 2012 there has been a total increase of 59,9% on the Plata (vs 83.6 % Norte, 133.5% Primitivo and 162.6% Portuguese). It looks as if pilgrims are looking for shorter alternatives to the Francés.

Last edited:
Can anyone lead me to more recent statistics on the Via de la Plata? Specifically I would like to know how many pilgrims arrived in Santiago from Seville or points south, in the different months of 2014. How many people one can expect to see on a daily basis on the road in October and November?

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can anyone lead me to more recent statistics on the Via de la Plata? Specifically I would like to know how many pilgrims arrived in Santiago from Seville or points south, in the different months of 2014. How many people one can expect to see on a daily basis on the road in October and November?

Thanks!

And there is always http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/ where you can research numbers and crunch them to your hearts content! Greetings from Prague! SY

And there is always http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/ where you can research numbers and crunch them to your hearts content! Greetings from Prague! SY

Unless I'm wrong, the cathedral's yearly compilations don't provide month by month numbers, so to get those you have to go to the monthly reports. But the monthly reports are only for the current year. If anyone can point me to the source of month by month statistics over the years, that would be great.

I did take a look at the Vdlp statistics for a few years and found it interesting that though the number starting from Sevilla between 2009 and 2013 had only increased by about 400 (from 1900 to 2300), the numbers getting the compostela from the Vdlp had increased by almost 50%, from 6200 to 9000.

That corroborates something I read on the forum once -- that the increase in pilgrims is not so much in those doing "long haul" caminos, but rather in those who walk for a couple of weeks. But I am definitely not a number cruncher, so these calculations may be all wrong! Buen camino, laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unless I'm wrong, the cathedral's yearly compilations don't provide month by month numbers, so to get those you have to go to the monthly reports. But the monthly reports are only for the current year. If anyone can point me to the source of month by month statistics over the years, that would be great.

I did take a look at the Vdlp statistics for a few years and found it interesting that though the number starting from Sevilla between 2009 and 2013 had only increased by about 400 (from 1900 to 2300), the numbers getting the compostela from the Vdlp had increased by almost 50%, from 6200 to 9000.

That corroborates something I read on the forum once -- that the increase in pilgrims is not so much in those doing "long haul" caminos, but rather in those who walk for a couple of weeks. But I am definitely not a number cruncher, so these calculations may be all wrong! Buen camino, laurie

A rough survey of some camino friends that have done the VdlP suggest many started in Salamanca instead of Seville. I think this is the new trend as many people choose to walk a shorter route or shorter section of a longer route like the VdlP.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.