• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

You say tomato...

Telluridewalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (1988)
I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between a refugio, an alburque and a hospital. In '88, I only heard the word refugio, but it seems that alburque is the accepted title lately. When I went to look up alburque in Google, it wanted to tell me all about Albuquerque,New Mexico (where Bugs Bunny always took the wrong turn).

My sense of a hospital (and its derivative, hospitalero/a) is of a Middle Ages place to leave the dying/wounded members of your party for a longer stay while you continued on the Camino (maybe they'd even be alive on your return trip!).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Interesting - I asked the same thing. From what I can tell in the 1970's and 80's shelters used by pilgrims were generally referred to as refugios - my Spanish friends say that this was because there really weren't facilities dedicated to pilgrims at that time. The refugio or refuge in English is the term they use for a shelter for homeless people etc. However as the number of pilgrims grew the terms albergue came into common use to describe pilgrim accomodation. The dictionary confirms albergue = alojamiento = accomodation/lodgings. Refugio = refuge or shelter.

I suspect you are right about the term Hospital - as in Hosptial de Bruma on the Camino Ingles. But others better versed in medieval history will comment, I'm sure.

And how does one pronouce alberque?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Al - ber' - gay

Here is my understanding from my own travels and from Brierley's book:

Albergue - This is a fairly generic term used to mean a pilgrim's hostel provided throughout the route, generally at about 10-20 km intervals. . . There are different types of "albergues"

Municipals are owned and maintained by the local authority. The warden or hospitalero is usually a local resident, often living next door. Most offer basic facilities and are cheap.

Parroquias (which I also heard referred to as refugios) are generally owned by the local diocese and run by the parish priest. Some offer a regular pilgrim mass. Tend to be more informal than municipal hostels. Many are by donation. Often offer a mat on the floor and a simple meal (soup, bread, wine).

Monasterio or covento - In Pilgrim language, Monasterio is a monastery run by monks while Convento usually is a convent run by nuns. Usually more spiritual feeling, often with silent hours, sometimes offer food, sometimes do not. Most offer showers, although sometimes they are COLD! Brrrrr!

Confraternity hostels are owned and run by local Spanish or other national confraternities, sometimes with the local authority. They tend to be particularly well-equipped for the needs of the pilgrim and are often tended by former pilgrims.

Private hostels (albergues privado) are privately owned hostels, sometimes in a loose federation, sometimes not. They tend to be a bit more expensive, but also often offer more niceties.

In all of these places you can count on a bed or a mattress on the floor.
99% of them have showers.. most are hot... some, however, are not. If that's important, you'd better ask. Some serve a meal, especially if they're in a place with no restaurant. Some do not, so plan ahead. All that I stayed in had at least a sink for washing clothes by hand. Very few had automatic washers. All had clotheslines. Some had spinners and very few had automatic dryers. Some were clean and well attended. Some were dirty and abused or ignored.

It's nice if you can spend an hour cleaning a dirty place -- the next pilgrims will be blessed by your kindness.

Also, if you get stuck in a town, you can often request to sleep in the Church or at least on the covered porch or in the yard of the Church, which is not always a bad thing, especially in nice weather. Gives you the chance to experience the Milky Way!

There are still some "refugio" around according to the Miam Miam Dodo. They use the term for more 'primitive' accommodation, where there might only be cold water and other quite limited facilities. For example, MMD used 'refugio' to describe the accommodation at San Juan de Ortega, which according to some friends who stayed there was cold and damp and they would never stay there again..... (and these are people who had walked a long way in France already before they reached there, and didn't usually complain!)
Margaret

Telluridewalker said:
When I went to look up alburque in Google, it wanted to tell me all about Albuquerque,New Mexico (where Bugs Bunny always took the wrong turn).
It is usually spelled with a 'g' rather than a 'q' on the end..... so if you google 'albergue' you'll get oodles of entries. You might even end up in South America of course.....
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
[/quote]
It is usually spelled with a 'g' rather than a 'q' on the end..... so if you google 'albergue' you'll get oodles of entries. You might even end up in South America of course.....
Margaret[/quote]

Thanks. I picked up the wrong spelling before I posted. Sorry.

Back in '88, things were definitely more primitive than I'm reading about today's albergues. Hot shower? About 20% of the time. Bed? Maybe 50% of the time. For the most part, the refugios were run by religious organizations, perhaps more out of doctrinal obligation than true enthusiasm, and by the local governments. If I remember correctly, those were called ayuntamientos and often doubled as a teen center or a gymnasium: polideportivos. I remember sleeping in more than a few basements. There were also a handful run privately by crazy people- not dangerous crazy but definitely certifiable (but they were certainly enthusiastic about their work!).

But, to pick up on another thread, the majority were free of cost. I tended to drop some coins in the church's offering box on my way out, and those few that had showers sometime cost about $1.00/100 pesetas. (There's another question: are pesetas still in use in Spain or has the Euro taken over as the currency of choice?)

I'd say I slept outside about 25% of the time- church courtyards and cimcumspectly in parks worked well.

Thanks for the elucidation, all.

Telluridewalker said:
There's another question: are pesetas still in use in Spain or has the Euro taken over as the currency of choice?)
The Euro has taken over as the normal currency in Spain.....
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.