• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

You think the Camino Frances is busy? Try this...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh My Lord! Is it always this busy in summer? Or was there a particular reason for it being like this last Saturday?
Margaret

It rained Monday through Friday and so some tourists had waited for the weather to clear, but apparently it was not an unusual number! Easter weekend usually sees 4,000 a day!!!!!
Here's a pic I've stolen from my hubby....it was still totally worth doing.
10847840_10204275020730601_7477739393946989837_n.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
View attachment 15266 Tongariro Crossing in New Zealand.
2,000 of us walked this 20km stretch on Saturday!!!!
(please excuse the fuzzy pic, but it sure does show the steady stream of people!!)

Is it a fuzzy pic? or did you mean to say: "but it sure does show the steady steam off people!!)";)

Wow, that's busy, but beautiful nonetheless.
I've heard the trek up Mount Fuji in Japan gets busy like that frequently. It's on my to do list. Anyone on here done the pilgrimage up Fuji?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This brings back some good hiking memories, not because of the crowds but because of the weather conditions I experienced doing this walk. I recall it being a very warm, sunny day when I set off from National Park. It was early January (summer in NZ), about 10 years ago. As I began the hike, still very pleasant conditions, but clouds rolling in, a bit of drizzle. While at the summit, a sudden, unexpected blizzard, heavy snow, white-out conditions. I couldn't see more than a couple meters in front of me and the foot path was covered with snow. It was like feeling your way through the dark. Snow turned to rain during the descent shortly after.

Step for step, the Tongariro ranks as one of the greatest day hikes I've ever done. I include the walk over the Pyrenees as among the best days of walking I've ever done.

Thanks for the memories, Kiwi.

I've heard the trek up Mount Fuji in Japan gets busy like that frequently. It's on my to do list. Anyone on here done the pilgrimage up Fuji?

I've done this walk. It's a good one. I began at about 5am and summited by lunchtime. Apart from some mild altitude sickness, a spectacular day hike, especially if you have clear weather when you reach the summit.

It's busiest in July and August, so if you can go in June or September, maybe better. Japanese workers take very few days off work, but when they do it tends to include a weekend, so hike Fuji on a mid-week day to beat the worst of the crowds. And avoid doing it on or close to a national holiday!

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi! fr the Philippines. Mark Lee, my friends & I hiked Mt Fuji on a weekday last July. It was busy, both with locals and foreigners. fujitrek.jpg DSCN0875.JPG fujitrek.jpg DSCN0875.JPG

Wow, that's busy, but beautiful nonetheless.
Believe it or not, I hiked up Mt. Fuji in August 1978 and it looked pretty much like hikingmd_05's photos he just posted. We hiked part way up the first day, stayed at one of the huts for dinner and a quick sleep and continued at 2:00am to get to the top for the most amazing sunrise. Very crowded, but worth it for the short time it takes to do the trek.

Believe it or not, I hiked up Mt. Fuji in August 1978 and it looked pretty much like hikingmd_05's photos he just posted. We hiked part way up the first day, stayed at one of the huts for dinner and a quick sleep and continued at 2:00am to get to the top for the most amazing sunrise. Very crowded, but worth it for the short time it takes to do the trek.
Yeah, I have looked up a couple of You Tube videos people have posted of their experience hiking up Mt. Fuji recently. Very busy, crowded trail, but looks cool nonetheless.
My dad hiked up Fuji back in the 1950's when he was stationed in Japan while in the military. He said it was a popular thing to do then.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back