• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

You Tube Vlogs

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will try that again

Hands up if you are addicted to Youtube Vlogs

Hands up if you find yourself shouting at them

A day does not go by when I do not look at YouTube Camino/Spain videos.

Don't shout at any of them -- just sigh with envy.

Last edited:
Hey, sorry @rector. Didn't mean to spook. I am aware of all that stuff out there on social media but I just don't go anywhere near it. I can imagine that if I did I would spend a lot of time shouting which would set the dogs to barking and the neighbours to expressing themselves and then we'd have a proper ruckus in my peaceful little port.

Half a hand, half a brain? You have a whole heart from what I've read of yours on this forum.

My apologies if I've given offence.

I will try that again

I know a lot of folks like them, but I find many of them annoying and boring and too focused on 'self' for my taste. The YouTube Camino videos I enjoy are the ones where the person removes themselves as the primary subject and simply focuses on the Camino itself. . . the scenery, the towns and villages, the pathway, etc.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will try that again

Why do you shout at them? :confused:

I watch a lot of YouTube channels. But not many Camino ones. They tend to be a bit 'samey'. Slide shows of photos set to music.
One I like is 'CountEverything' :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I must admit it never occurred to me to view such vlogs. I think I would feel I would prefer to do it/see it myself, and that experiencing it on film beforehand would somehow spoil it for when or if I eventually do it. Just a personal perspective.

I do have the splendid forum-sourced Camino map on my wall though!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know a lot of folks like them, but I find many of them annoying and boring and too focused on 'self' for my taste. The YouTube Camino videos I enjoy are the ones where the person removes themselves as the primary subject and simply focuses on the Camino itself. . . the scenery, the towns and villages, the pathway, etc.
A point well made, Dave.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with you, Dave. However, I think that many of the vlogs and blogs that get posted are probably done primarily for the benefit of friends and family members who are following the author's journey, and/or for the author's own memories. I have traditionally kept a blog of significant travels just for those purposes, and I don't make public announcements -- I just let my friends and family know where to find them. I do, however, occasionally pass on the blogs and vlogs which I think are especially well done for the benefit of others who wonder what the Camino is all about or who are thinking of making the pilgrimage.

By the way, I think the same could also be said for a large percentage of the books written by pilgrims about their Camino experience. I don't say this to discourage those who write, vlog, or blog about their journeys -- such things are a necessary part of the psychological and emotional "unpacking" of such an experience (which can be truly life-changing). I just suggest that they know their audience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey, sorry @rector. Didn't mean to spook. I am aware of all that stuff out there on social media but I just don't go anywhere near it. I can imagine that if I did I would spend a lot of time shouting which would set the dogs to barking and the neighbours to expressing themselves and then we'd have a proper ruckus in my peaceful little port.

Half a hand, half a brain? You have a whole heart from what I've read of yours on this forum.

My apologies if I've given offence.
Tinker Please never apologise to me I have merely a sense of slightly warped humour

Why do you shout at them? :confused:

I watch a lot of YouTube channels. But not many Camino ones. They tend to be a bit 'samey'. Slide shows of photos set to music.
One I like is 'CountEverything' :)
I find myself hearing their preconceived ideas of what it will be like and I try to tell them just wait, you will see, I also find myself telling them that they are walking too fast and too far, they will get blisters and worst of all I shout at them and tell them that they should have listened to ME and they would not have the blisters they now have. I hope that answers your very reasonable question.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree with you, Dave. However, I think that many of the vlogs and blogs that get posted are probably done primarily for the benefit of friends and family members who are following the author's journey, and/or for the author's own memories. I have traditionally kept a blog of significant travels just for those purposes, and I don't make public announcements -- I just let my friends and family know where to find them. I do, however, occasionally pass on the blogs and vlogs which I think are especially well done for the benefit of others who wonder what the Camino is all about or who are thinking of making the pilgrimage.

By the way, I think the same could also be said for a large percentage of the books written by pilgrims about their Camino experience. I don't say this to discourage those who write, vlog, or blog about their journeys -- such things are a necessary part of the psychological and emotional "unpacking" of such an experience (which can be truly life-changing). I just suggest that they know their audience.

I agree about the books, too. . . after reading 4 or 5 I began to think they all came from the same template.

I agree that there are some well done YouTube and Vlogs, like Efren's, which makes the video series seem like more of a guided travelogue, than a personal diary. Not all Camino YouTube videos are annoying or boring. . . just the majority 😁

A lot of folks do not know that you can publish videos on YouTube and keep them private. Only those who are sent the link to the private channel on the account can access and view them. In this way, folks can use YouTube for publication and limit who gets to view them.

Then there is the public postings of video diaries. Folks that post their diaries on YouTube for the public to see are wanting the public to view them. That is why I was. . and remain . . annoyed and bored of self-serving YouTube Camino videos which are publicly accessible: the authors WANT the public to see them..

I watch a lot of You Tube since that is my TV program app. I watch and am subscribed to several blogs but he ones that do not concentrate on selfies. I can only look at a talking face for a little bit. There are vlogs that do scenery, history and archeology which I enjoy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What’s the difference between a vlog of someone talking to the camera and someone journaling about their experience here? I enjoy both instructive videos, and I’ve also ran across a few Camino vlogs that are deeply moving; and yes (gasp) the person is chatting into the camera. It’s amazing how all our experiences are vastly different, yet we all share the human experience.

Also, who cares if the video is public? It doesn’t mean it’s “look at me”. Sheesh people. Don’t assign so much meaning to people’s (or assume) intentions.

What’s the difference between a vlog of someone talking to the camera and someone journaling about their experience here? I enjoy both instructive videos, and I’ve also ran across a few Camino vlogs that are deeply moving; and yes (gasp) the person is chatting into the camera. It’s amazing how all our experiences are vastly different, yet we all share the human experience.

Also, who cares if the video is public? It doesn’t mean it’s “look at me”. Sheesh people. Don’t assign so much meaning to people’s (or assume) intentions.

The OP opened the discussion. Folks have given opinions, there's no more to it than that. :) I agree that a YouTube video that is made public does not make it a "look at me" self-centered portrait. There are a lot of publicly published YouTube's of the Camino that avoid doing that very thing.

It is all a matter of taste, like the fact that I like beef liver, and others hate it. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I like the you tube vlogs, but it seems that many of them are just a face in front of the camera. Turn it around and record where you are walking, your voice will still record
I couldn't agree more but some of us have a face for the radio 🤠

Hands up all those who are addicted to You Tube Vlogs

I normally avoid vlogs for that reason .... they can evoke a less than charitable response from me!
However, I'm really glad to have clicked on this one a couple of weeks ago. It's a short and understated little video - probably a better introduction to the Camino than all the gear-obsessed ones.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well I usually watch several episodes per week because I enjoy them, even though I shout. There is, even in the most self centred Vlog something very human and also believe it or not something to learn

I used YouTube a fair bit for research, and was thankful for the efforts of others, and their willingness to share. I did the CF in December and wanted to know how cold it looked, how much snow, how wet, what gear everyone had etc. The videos proved helpful. I just wish people would label videos with a date....there really are an awful lot of Camino videos to shift through, 99% in summer. I also took a GoPro and have video on my private YouTube channel. In my dotage, it may prove useful evidence to myself as well as others that I actually did it...and my videos are pretty ordinary efforts and I’d be too embarrassed to put them up in public.

Well I usually watch several episodes per week because I enjoy them, even though I shout. There is, even in the most self centred Vlog something very human and also believe it or not something to learn
Yes, that's true too. All the various, differing opinions have merit...they all make this forum very interesting. If we continually agreed with each other on all topics, it might get kinda boring eventuallly! 😉

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Gary I watch on smart tv and use, camino de santiago 2019, on the search, that way you usually get better hd if you go back to cds 2016 it is much more grainy

I found this thread interesting, since I am one of those who post my videos from my Caminos on You Tube. (25 videos) Before I did this, I was watching videos from different Caminos that could give me the impression of a Camino I was considering walking. I was always so pleased when I found the informative, good videos that gave me a picture of what to expect. All the time I made my own photo videos for private use.
Three years ago I thought: Maybe I should contribute myself? Maybe someone would enjoy and benefit from watching photo videos from my walks? So when you discuss motives for posting the videos: I was hoping to please and help someone.
But ... it has also given me a lot of pleasure myself, and I am always happy when I get a positive comment. (See my channel below.)
Bjørg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My two favorite Camino vlogs are from Stephen Jones and Angela Morelli Carpenter. The links are below. Their vlogs are raw first person perspectives on their Caminos. They have low production value, zero b-roll, and thankfully, no drone footage. They both lay their fears, hopes, dreams, sadness, pain, and joy out there for all to see.

Stephen Jones: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0eAfGx_aREwmczjw7tV91wUZ4xXlIAtH
Angela Morelli Carpenter: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLIgYtAT4qhUmSyHrj_5wrfymI6XzlKPy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found this thread interesting, since I am one of those who post my videos from my Caminos on You Tube. (25 videos) Before I did this, I was watching videos from different Caminos that could give me the impression of a Camino I was considering walking. I was always so pleased when I found the informative, good videos that gave me a picture of what to expect. All the time I made my own photo videos for private use.
Three years ago I thought: Maybe I should contribute myself? Maybe someone would enjoy and benefit from watching photo videos from my walks? So when you discuss motives for posting the videos: I was hoping to please and help someone.
But ... it has also given me a lot of pleasure myself, and I am always happy when I get a positive comment. (See my channel below.)
Bjørg

Good on you. . your series sounds great. Do you have a link?

I had that same motive of helping newbies when I shot 8+ hours of footage on my GoPro Hero 6 Black. I wanted to get a step-by-step recording of walking over the Napoleon Route from SJPdP as a pilgrim would see it. I wanted to have newbies see the various things discussed about the Napoleon, from the scenery, the steepness of the walking and descending, points of interest like Huntto and Orisson.

I wanted to clearly show the intersection of where one would take the trail vs the road on the descent to Roncesvalles. Then again, once reaching the bottom of the 'road' option at the Ibaneta Chapel, how to get onto the trail rather than having to walk the busy road, for the last mile into Roncesvalles.

8+ hours of video. But John Sikora edited the footage using Hyperlapse which does a sort of fast forward compression that only takes about 30 minutes to fully watch. It is part of his Camino Frances Day-By-Day series which covers the entirety (with a couple of small exceptions) of that Camino, stage by stage.

John's series is a great way for newbies and the curious to actually see what the walk looks like as the pilgrim sees it.

And not once do I speak or have my face in the video. The soundtrack is mainly some nice music accompaniment.

Those who watch hear only

Addicted yes, but not shouting at them. On the contrary, I am rooting and cheering them on!

My two favorite Camino vlogs are from Stephen Jones and Angela Morelli Carpenter. The links are below. Their vlogs are raw first person perspectives on their Caminos. They have low production value, zero b-roll, and thankfully, no drone footage. They both lay their fears, hopes, dreams, sadness, pain, and joy out there for all to see.

Stephen Jones: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0eAfGx_aREwmczjw7tV91wUZ4xXlIAtH
Angela Morelli Carpenter: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLIgYtAT4qhUmSyHrj_5wrfymI6XzlKPy
Her music is diabolically repetative throughout and drives me bonkers.....can't watch her videos for that reason. I've subscribed to his videos...brilliant...
Love

Good on you. . your series sounds great. Do you have a link?

I had that same motive of helping newbies when I shot 8+ hours of footage on my GoPro Hero 6 Black. I wanted to get a step-by-step recording of walking over the Napoleon Route from SJPdP as a pilgrim would see it. I wanted to have newbies see the various things discussed about the Napoleon, from the scenery, the steepness of the walking and descending, points of interest like Huntto and Orisson.

I wanted to clearly show the intersection of where one would take the trail vs the road on the descent to Roncesvalles. Then again, once reaching the bottom of the 'road' option at the Ibaneta Chapel, how to get onto the trail rather than having to walk the busy road, for the last mile into Roncesvalles.

8+ hours of video. But John Sikora edited the footage using Hyperlapse which does a sort of fast forward compression that only takes about 30 minutes to fully watch. It is part of his Camino Frances Day-By-Day series which covers the entirety (with a couple of small exceptions) of that Camino, stage by stage.

John's series is a great way for newbies and the curious to actually see what the walk looks like as the pilgrim sees it.

And not once do I speak or have my face in the video. The soundtrack is mainly some nice music accompaniment.

Those who watch hear only

You asked for a link. Here is my channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt5ZEmAaRwk0YVj7HRwQa4g/videos
Bjørg

Her music is diabolically repetative throughout and drives me bonkers.....can't watch her videos for that reason. I've subscribed to his videos...brilliant...
Love
I felt the same about the music. It’s where 80% of all Camino YouTube vids go wrong.

Love
I agree that ditching Apple’s canned music would have been wise. The reason I like her videos is that she takes you along for the entire Camino ride, through all the highs and lows, and she has her share of lows...times where you wonder if she’s just going to bag the whole thing. But then there’s that damned music! 😉

Yes.. the whole selfie culture is not for me. Sometimes one reads about a poor soul taking a selfie and then falling off a cliff. I can only think they should have been paying attention to things that matter....

Yes to the first; no to the second.

I also have a tendency to download and save them because that way (a) I can enjoy them without using wifi or data and (b) sometimes I've noticed they disappear over time. For example, the first set of camino vlogs I followed, shared by a young Irish vegan couple walking in winter with their baby, seems to no longer be up on YouTube.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.