• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Young female walking alone camino Frances in November 2014

jhv47

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for October 2015
I'm a woman, mid 30 and intending to do the camino Frances up to Santiago de Compostela starting end Oct 2014. My main concern is, however, is it save for a woman to go alone. Or is this too dangerous and risky, Crime/sexual attack etc?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I wouldn't worry about this at all. I have heard of petty crimes on the Camino - thefts of gear and/or money, and also of a few creepy people and some beggars and scam artists, but I have not heard of pilgrims being assaulted or any violent crimes. I think that overall, the Camino is a very safe place. There won't be as many people walking as in the summer time, but there will still be people on the Camino and you will meet people very quickly. You can walk with others or on your own - even when you are on your own, people will pass you up or you will pass them. You'll see people walking ahead or people will be behind you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I join others in assuring you that it is safe, but you will encounter a few middle aged lotharios among your fellow pilgrims! ;) "No means no" has always worked in my observation. I did walk with one twenty-something who was stalked for a couple of days by a Spaniard after Burgos. She had plenty of support from fellow pilgrims, and the stalker eventually stopped driving out evenings to try to find her. She found it distressing, but I don't think she ever felt in danger.

Buen camino.:)

Hey there! I have not been on the Camino during the winter, when it is a little less crowded, but I went this summer. I was not alone, but with my friend, also a girl, and we were both 18 years old. I'll tell you I have never felt safer in my life! I felt one hundred times safer everyday on the Camino then I do walking down the street on a daily basis back in the US at college. You truly have nothing to worry about! We camped out in parks in bigger cities and I ditched using my money belt after the first week (probably not a good decision, but still) and never had any problems, NEVER felt unsafe in the least. My friend and I were actually just talking about that yesterday--I miss the feeling of safety and security. You will have the time of your life!

I would think that the winter part of the year is even more safe than the rest of the year.
People with more suspect options than doing a pilgrimage would choose a more crowded time to find their victims.
Bring an alarm or siren to make you feel more safe. Noise often scare away attackers, if you meet some. Be more aware at airports and airporttransport than at the camino.
I think it is perhaps more important to think of safety according to bad weather. Listen to advice from the locals and do not set out alone in the mountains if the locals tell you not to do so.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think it is perhaps more important to think of safety according to bad weather. Listen to advice from the locals and do not set out alone in the mountains if the locals tell you not to do so.

Yes, I think this is very important - the weather and injury are much bigger potential hazards than the people.

I'm a woman, mid 30 and intending to do the camino Frances up to Santiago de Compostela starting end Oct 2014. My main concern is, however, is it save for a woman to go alone. Or is this too dangerous and risky, Crime/sexual attack etc?
Hi there!
I did the camino Francis alone this spring; had never been to Europe and knew very little Spanish. I felt & was safe. There were a couple of moments that my 'gut' told me to be hyper-aware, yet nothing bad came from those moments. Many people do this alone; and you're as alone as you want to be or can be surrounded by pilgrims from all over the world.
Buen Camino!

I walked my recent camino Frances alone. I'm a slow but steady walker and I'd get passed by the crowds all the time and on only 1 day did I walk with anyone. But I found that when I'd get to the next village the people that had passed me a couple KM back would be there and would be glad I got there and also asked about others saying things like "did you happen to run into so-and-so? I haven't seen them yet today". So people do watch out for each other even if you aren't walking directly with them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jhv, I would certainly think that you may not get so much attention at that time of year. And if so, just fall back in your walking pace and contact another pilgrim to ask if you could walk with him/her.

If you are really worried, I would suggest that you take a really shrill flute along - put it on your backpack's front straps so that it is ready to hand. Such a flute would scare anyone off!

annelise

You will be following in the footsteps of thousands of women of all ages that have walked the camino "alone" for years and without any of the problems you mentioned

Go and enjoy!

My daughter today had the unfortunate experience of stopping to tell the time to a cyclist just outside Hornillos (20 kms from Burgos) who then touched her boobs. All fine. Perhaps the motto is not to engage anyone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That is horrible. I'm sorry that happened.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.