• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Young solo traveller - Is it safe?

Jelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2019
Hola,

I am hoping to walk el Camino Frances in Summer 2019 from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago and on to Fiesterra. I was just wondering is it safe for a woman to walk this route alone. I will be 19 when it comes to starting the camino. I have read many blogs about women walking the camino alone but they would have much more experience of travelling than I would. Should I try and find a partner to walk with before I go?

Muchas Gracias y Buen Camino,
Jelly <3

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walking in summer you will rarely be alone. And, lots of college students will be on C.F. too, so you'll have plenty others your own age on camino.

Buen camino to you.

Thank you very much nycwalking. When you were walking the camino did you do it alone or with a partner? Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola,

I am hoping to walk el Camino Frances in Summer 2019 from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago and on to Fiesterra. I was just wondering is it safe for a woman to walk this route alone. I will be 19 when it comes to starting the camino. I have read many blogs about women walking the camino alone but they would have much more experience of travelling than I would. Should I try and find a partner to walk with before I go?

Jelly <3
Jelly, I do hope it all works out for you. You have already seen, that you will not be alone and in addition, there are a few things that will help regarding security. One, the 112 number on your phone, emergencies. Another some apps that allow tracking seem to be useful. I have just got one as a result of a comment on the forum, to see how it works. It is Locatoweb. It allows your chosen contacts to follow you wherever you may be. I wish you buen camino, and look forward to hearing how it goes!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Jelly, I do hope it all works out for you. You have already seen, that you will not be alone and in addition, there are a few things that will help regarding security. One, the 112 number on your phone, emergencies. Another some apps that allow tracking seem to be useful. I have just got one as a result of a comment on the forum, to see how it works. It is Locatoweb. It allows your chosen contacts to follow you wherever you may be. I wish you buen camino, and look forward to hearing how it goes!

Thank you very much Kirkie! I have not heard of this app before so I will download it and have a go. Thank you for the advice and buen camino.

Go for it Jelly! You will rarely be totally alone unless you want to be. Also, it’s a good time to learn, don’t be afraid, be aware. You may feel uncomfortable at times, it’s a growth and learning experience. I have two daughters, I told them the same thing.

Friends on the Camino are never far away. Enjoy and Buen Camino!

"Is it safe?" is the wrong question to ask. A better question is "What travel tips can help keep me safe?"

Rick Steves' has many books on European travel tips, which are very useful on the Camino. See https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips

It's easy to read about travel safety tips, but they require practice. You gain experience as you move from traveling familiar to more exotic destination. I would not recommend the Camino unless you have had experience traveling to at least one non-English speaking foreign country.

There are lots of safety advantages of traveling with a partner for both both females *and* males.

-Paul

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you very much nycwalking. When you were walking the camino did you do it alone or with a partner? Buen Camino!

I've have always walked alone. Do not worry about your age too much. I met a 17 year old American walking solo, and two Dutch girls around 19 or 20. You will be fine.

I think it would be impossible to walk the CF in Summer alone. You will have a "Camino Family" around you by the time you hit Pamplona, if you want one.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola,

Jelly <3
As a father of daughters and a grandfather of granddaughters I would advise you to be vigilant. Perhaps walk with others when possible. I wish you a wonderful and safe Camino!

Hola,

Jelly <3
You will have so many people to walk with of every age group, gender, ethnicity, country, your biggest problem will be finding some alone time! I will also give the advise I have given before. Find a few old farts like me who have adult daughters. We all miss our girls and believe me they would love to keep an eye on you. They will especially love you when you laugh at their dumb father jokes that their daughters would scream, Daddy why are you always embarrassing me? Trust me they will always be there when you need them and they walk slower and go to bed early so you will not have to worry about them hanging around much. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola,

Jelly <3
May I quote your second and third line. "Walk this route alone". YOU WILL NOT BE ALONE
Either physical or spiritually. Just go and do it, the walk will set you up for the rest of your life.
Good luck and God bless.

As regards the best apps for your smartphone, I suggest you check out this older thread... The contents apply to all Camino uses.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/best-apps-for-camino-frances.43129/

I hope this helps.

And always trust your gut instinct. Be it on the road itself , in a bar, albergue or hotel.
You are entitled to your personal boundaries and others should respect that.
In other words : do not allow actions towards you that you would not allow at home.

I have met a number of young solo females on th C.F. (The youngest was 16) and they all made friends with people their own age and older. You will seldom be really alone for any length of time and, if anyone does make you feel uncomfortable, just ask to walk with someone else for a while. And, yes, there are plenty of old farts who will keep a discreet lookout for you and be happy to walk with you for a bit if you need some reassurance. You will be fine and you will have the time of your life.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Last Sept/Oct when I did CF I met a plethora of young people who arrived Spain solo. They formed packs on CF and I saw the packs walking and staying in various albergues throughout my time on CF. I have no doubt you will also find a pack if you wish to join one.

"Is it safe?" is the wrong question to ask. A better question is "What travel tips can help keep me safe?"

Rick Steves' has many books on European travel tips, which are very useful on the Camino. See https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips

It's easy to read about travel safety tips, but they require practice. You gain experience as you move from traveling familiar to more exotic destination. I would not recommend the Camino unless you have had experience traveling to at least one non-English speaking foreign country.

There are lots of safety advantages of traveling with a partner for both both females *and* males.

-Paul

Thanks Paul for your in-depth response. Luckily I am nearly fluent in Spanish so language won't be a problem. I will also look into those books that you suggested! Buen Camino!

I met a large number of young, solo women peregrinas when walking my caminos. Is it safe? Not 100%. Bad things have certainly happened to people. But it is relatively safe. I'm not sure where you hail from, but you are probably just as safe or safer on the Camino as/than in your home town.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are so many people on this route you will be begging for solitude !!!!!!!!!!

You can find safety in numbers by joining a "Camino Family" early in the trek. Many folks find that the close friendships forged in these groups are stronger than any they've ever previously experienced.

You can find safety in numbers by joining a "Camino Family" early in the trek. Many folks find that the close friendships forged in these groups are stronger than any they've ever previously experienced.
...and many of these "family" friendships last for years even after you've completed your Camino walk...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Can’t comment on the Camino Frances, as I don’t get to walk from Sarria until September. My only other Camino experience was the Portugues in April this year. I met lots of women from your age up to their 70’s and not once did I hear of any of them getting any grief whatsoever.
As other members have commented, you won’t be ‘alone’. Just use common sense and you’ll be fine.
Just enjoy the whole experience. I can almost guarantee it won’t be your last Camino.
Have fun.....!

Hiya!
I'll be 21 when I go, but I'll be ahead of you (and maybe home) by the time you start. I'm aiming for April/May 2019 for my Camino! I, too, have wondered whether it will be better/safer for me personally to find somebody willing to go with me before I leave. I've never traveled alone, and the only "foreign" country I've been to is Canada, and that was for a single day to see Niagara falls and I was back home the very next day in New Hampshire. Safe to say, I'm not experienced as a traveler, solo or otherwise!
Lots of people will tell you that women can complete the Camino "alone" (see all the other comments on how you aren't ever truly alone on the Camino). There are plenty of ways to feel safer and more secure while walking alone, from using apps to having the emergency number pre-set into your phone to simply tagging along with another group. Generally speaking, it seems that the Camino is no more dangerous than anywhere else, and with common sense and some safety precautions you'll be fine walking solo.
Regardless of all the great advice about walking solo, the choice to do so is still up to you. You might feel happier bringing a friend you know. While fear shouldn't dictate your actions, it's not unfair to want a bit of "home" with you on your Camino to provide some stability/security while you (presumably) step outside your comfort zone on this trip. You know yourself best, so spend some time weighing the pros and cons of each before deciding. Don't feel pressured into one choice or the other. Just know you aren't alone trying to make this decision! :)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back