• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Younger people on the Camino?

Personally I'll be just 19 when I walk the Camino Frances later this year. I'm just curious as to how the age differences on the Camino changes the experience?

I'd love to walk with some older people on the Camino, but do older people want to walk with younger people.

What have your experiences been like with age on the Camino?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am an older person 68 and I just love talking to people of all ages
Reflecting back over the years I did not get talking to many young people as they tended to be in close knit little groups having a great time together. The exception being one group of three Germans with whom I got very friendly and often we went out together for our evening meal.

I'm sure if you approach a lone older pilgrim to talk they will be simply delighted for your company .

Meeting different age groups of different cultures is one of the blessings of the Camino.
I am slow and that makes walking together difficult.""

Buen Camino,

Lydia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I second Lydia. you are more likely to pass us 'older people' just speak as you go past :D However conversations in bars and albergues are a different thing entirely, just chat normally. When you get down to it most of us oldies forget we are old most of the time.
I do find it disconcerting when young people ask me how old I am and say how wonderful it is that I am walking the camino at my age! (I'm 64 going on 40) Just pretend we're not old at all, that's so flattering :D
Stay young, enjoy life.
Buen camino
Sue

I'm in my late 30s but am often mistaken for being in my mid 20s, which is probably because I feel like I am. I would think (my first walk will be this autumn) that anyone who decides this is something they want to do will be unburdening themselves in the process or attempting to do so. I can only imagine that age would play no part or judgement along the way. Personally, I am open to talking to anyone who is willing to talk to me. Camino or otherwise.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
(my first walk will be this autumn) that anyone who decides this is something they want to do will be unburdening themselves in the process or attempting to do so. I can only imagine that age would play no part or judgement along the way. Personally, I am open to talking to anyone who is willing to talk to me. Camino or otherwise.

I'm walking autumn too, might see you over there :D

do older people want to walk with younger people
Pilgrims in general are very accommodating to others. You will find plenty of walking and conversation partners in all age categories.

Too Many Choices said:
Personally I'll be just 19 when I walk the Camino Frances later this year. I'm just curious as to how the age differences on the Camino changes the experience?

I'd love to walk with some older people on the Camino, but do older people want to walk with younger people.

What have your experiences been like with age on the Camino?
people who walk the Camino tend to be people with the free time to do it,they tend to fall into 2 groups-the young and the old both experiencing the same trials and tribulations-you tend to become the one family,as a father of 5 aged between 21 and 38 I'm very comfortable in the company of younger people,in the way that its sometimes easyer to talk to your grandparents than your parents-I've had lots of very interesting conversations with younger women ( and men) and because I'm not judgmental or perceived as a social or sexual partner the conversations tend to be of a greater depth and honesty than any I had as a young man-and also give me a clearer understanding of my own daughters-and hopefully they get to understand that my generation-the children of the sixty's may have one or two things to say that may impact on there lives too.
have a great Camino
Ian

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are fewer young people on the Camino in August (the under-25 crowd). They have gone home or back to school. Still, you will meet many interesting people.

That is true. The last two years I walked the Frances in September, October and November it was mostly younger people. Of course I am 60 this year so anyone under 30 is a young person to me. Lol

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back