• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your 2022 flight and airport experiences

KFH

Time of past OR future Camino
^
Please tell us about your 2022 (only) flight and airport experiences. With all the cancellations and postponements it would help to get real-time or recent info for those who are planning.

Please post your good, bad and ugly about 2022 flights, airports, airlines, luggage, entry etc.

2022 only and flight-related only please. Please only post about other years as a comparison to current circumstances you went through, such as comparing your 2022 flight/airport to your similar flight/airport in prior years.

NOT only related to Camino-- some info may be helpful to those connecting from certain cities, airports, airlines on their way to/from Camino. For instance, if you have 2022 experience in certain airports for your non-Camino travel, your info may be useful to Camino-bound travelers who will be using or connecting through those airports.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is going to be a very long thread. I'll start

1. LGW - Seville (Jan): No problems at all

2. LGW - Athens (March): Cancelled in departure lounge with an hour to go. Overnight stay and flight next day. Professional airline staff and fully compensated (EU261 regulations).

3. September - no flight. Taking the ferry out. Expect flight back to LGW may be a problem so will have a train backup.

Please tell us about your 2022 (only) flight and airport experiences. With all the cancellations and postponements it would help to get real-time or recent info for those who are planning.
Interesting theory but the only way to get real-time, recent information on flight cancellations and delays are through the usual news channels and through the airlines. History is history. I have had no problems whatsoever on any intra European flights this year. I try to avoid travelling when the majority obliged by holiday, school term or festive restrictions are committed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Did fly from Santiago via Madrid to Berlin.
Iberia Business Class. Because it was cheaper than economy for whatever reasons the smart people at Iberia decided.

Check in at SCQ was fast. 5min. Security even less.
There is actually a lounge at Santiago airport. My first one. They had some nice food and Albarino.
Madrid airport was way more hectic. Lounge had a queue and i skipped it to wait at the gate for my delayed flight. Not the smartest move.
Berlin took some time to get my luggage, but nothing like whats apparently going on at the moment.

For my first post covid flight, it was not to bad. But i guess the older i get the less i like flying.

Interesting theory but the only way to get real-time, recent information on flight cancellations and delays are through the usual news channels and through the airlines. History is history. I have had no problems whatsoever on any intra European flights this year. I try to avoid travelling when the majority obliged by holiday, school term or festive restrictions are committed.
@KFH I would have similar concerns about what benefit you will get from forum members relating their experiences with past flights. Certainly none of that is going to be 'real-time', even in the loosest interpretation of that phrase. If you want current, near real time, flight information, use a service like Flight Aware or Flight Radar 24 in addition to the sources that @Tincatinker has listed. These both provide very fine-grained flight tracking, which may well be far more than you need. If you dive into them, you might find the wealth of historical information on flight performance helpful. It will be more objective on matters like flight delays than our personal recollections of these things.

Please tell us about your 2022 (only) flight
I am a bit curious about the purpose of your thread, and I wouldn't like to see it degenerate into rants and complaints. We have had a few of those threads that really did not serve to help people plan their Caminos. As @Tincatinker and @dougfitz point out, anecdotes here are not going to be as helpful as serious study of airline statistics and news that can be found elsewhere on the internet.

My 2022 Air Canada flights were fine, although there were delays on the return and there was well-publicized chaos at YYZ.

In relative dollars, in 2022, I paid about one-tenth of what that flight would have cost me when I first started to travel 50 years ago. And, in Canada, we don't even have the competition of budget airlines that exist in Europe.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
May/June 2022. Westjet. Flew Calgarvto Paris. On time and no issues. Carried on backpack so didn’t check anything. Return flew Santiago to Barcelona on Vueling. On time and no issues. Trouble started in Barcelona where my Westjet flight to Toronto was 2 hours late and made me miss 2 other connections. Once in Toronto we couldn’t get off the plane as not enough customs agents and all customs kiosks were malfunctioning. Missed connections again. Total travel time turned into 36 hours. I only carried on luggage. Nothing checked.

Has anyone recently flown from USA through Amsterdam to anywhere? If so, what was your experience? I've booked through Delta but in Amsterdam I switch to KLM with only a 50 minute layover. I'm trying not to panic. Hahahahaha (nervous laugh) :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Has anyone recently flown from USA through Amsterdam to anywhere? If so, what was your experience? I've booked through Delta but in Amsterdam I switch to KLM with only a 50 minute layover. I'm trying not to panic. Hahahahaha (nervous laugh) :)
I flew that same route a couple of years ago and the inbound flight was late. I made it to the gate in Amsterdam 10 minutes before departure and the ground staff had already pulled the jetway and wouldn’t let me on or even speak to me. I had to go back to their customer service center in the other terminal and got booked 5 hrs later on their next flight to Madrid. This caused me to miss my bus to Logrono and I didn’t get in until nearly Midnight. An auspicious start to my Camino that year. Now I always make sure I have longer connections to Madrid….

Please post your good, bad and ugly about 2022 flights, airports, airlines, luggage, entry etc.

2022 only and flight-related only please. Please only post about other years as a comparison to current circumstances you went through, such as comparing your 2022 flight/airport to your similar flight/airport in prior years.

NOT only related to Camino-- some info may be helpful to those connecting from certain cities, airports, airlines on their way to/from Camino. For instance, if you have 2022 experience in certain airports for your non-Camino travel, your info may be useful to Camino-bound travelers who will be using or connecting through those airports.
My Delta flights to and from Lisbon in April and June were on time and no issues, even with 2 connections in the US to get home. I left plenty of time for security and immigration in Lisbon - also no problems.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I flew that same route a couple of years ago and the inbound flight was late. I made it to the gate in Amsterdam 10 minutes before departure and the ground staff had already pulled the jetway and wouldn’t let me on or even speak to me. I had to go back to their customer service center in the other terminal and got booked 5 hrs later on their next flight to Madrid. This caused me to miss my bus to Logrono and I didn’t get in until nearly Midnight. An auspicious start to my Camino that year. Now I always make sure I have longer connections to Madrid….
Thanks, I had originally booked a longer layover in Amsterdam but Delta changed my flight.

I fly through AMS in 10 days with a short layover. I'm pretty sure I'll miss my flight. I keep hoping they figure it out. Nothing I can do. Twitter has interesting up to date reports (not for the weak of heart).

I fly through AMS in 10 days with a short layover. I'm pretty sure I'll miss my flight. I keep hoping they figure it out. Nothing I can do. Twitter has interesting up to date reports (not for the weak of heart).
Good-Luck!! I am anything but weak of heart. LOL I'll have by backpack with me so no worry about checked luggage. Hopefully I will arrive in AMS without delay at 8:40AM with plenty of time to rebook same day to Porto if need be. I won't be arriving for 2 months, so hoping too that they will have everything figured out by then. Buen Camino :)

Travelled from Auckland NZ to Lisbon via Singapore Airlines and Lufthansa and back from Santiago de Compostela via Frankfurt and Singapore. No issues at all. May/June 2022. $ 1550 return, cheapest ever.
No delays, all smooth. Bit more form filling than usual. No covid tests required if you had international vaccine pass.
Lucky.

Last edited:
I am a bit curious about the purpose of your thread, and I wouldn't like to see it degenerate into rants and complaints. We have had a few of those threads that really did not serve to help people plan their Caminos. As @Tincatinker and @dougfitz point out, anecdotes here are not going to be as helpful as serious study of airline statistics and news that can be found elsewhere on the internet.

My 2022 Air Canada flights were fine, although there were delays on the return and there was well-publicized chaos at YYZ.

In relative dollars, in 2022, I paid about one-tenth of what that flight would have cost me when I first started to travel 50 years ago. And, in Canada, we don't even have the competition of budget airlines that exist in Europe
Good-Luck!! I am anything but weak of heart. LOL I'll have by backpack with me so no worry about checked luggage. Hopefully I will arrive in AMS without delay at 8:40AM with plenty of time to rebook same day to Porto if need be. I won't be arriving for 2 months, so hoping too that they will have everything figured out by then. Buen Camino :)
Amsterdam is a legendary transfer airport in that they sell a huge amount of connecting traffic so if anyone is geared up for it they will be. 50 mins is the MCT for non Schengen flights so hopefully standards will be met!

I flew feom Amsterdam to Montreal on KLM last week. Schipol was everything one has heard lately. It took 2 1/2 hours to get through security and the gate for the flight changed five times. On a positive note, every staff I encountered was very polite and hard working.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
End of April

Chicago - Frankfurt - Madrid -> Zero problems United and Lufthansa

Beginning of June

Santiago -> Brussels No problem on Vueling at all - arrived early
Brussels to Chicago - Getting through passport control in Brussels was about an hour other than that - zero problems.

I flew feom Amsterdam to Montreal on KLM last week. Schipol was everything one has heard lately. It took 2 1/2 hours to get through security and the gate for the flight changed five times. On a positive note, every staff I encountered was very polite and hard working.
Did you originate from Amsterdam to fly international or connect in Amsterdam? I know that if you start in Amsterdam as of late the lines were around the block to get through security. But if I'm connected in AMS the lines shouldn't be so bad. Crossing fingers and saying prayers. :)

My daughter flew Sydney to London via Dubai with Emirates few days ago.
Flights for both legs on time.
12 hour hotel stopover in Dubai excellent and luggage went straight through to next flight.
Covid regulations minimal. No vaccination requirements. Mask wearing was a regulation but no one was policing it so compliance was about 50%.
Exit at Heathrow smooth - no lost or delayed luggage.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

PS. Thanks for this thread. I have heard a lot of bad news about the airline industry and it has been useful to have this 'straw poll' to give a sense of where problems are likely to occur.

So far two return flights Liverpool to Madrid and one out to Venice and back from Corfu. Totally without incident or delay.

I’m not sure that extrapolation from historic experience is a useful predictor of future experience wrt flights.

Did you originate from Amsterdam to fly international or connect in Amsterdam? I know that if you start in Amsterdam as of late the lines were around the block to get through security. But if I'm connected in AMS the lines shouldn't be so bad. Crossing fingers and saying prayers. :)
Good point - I originated in Amsterdam so had to go through security. Much easier and faster if you are transferring from another flight. Nonetheless - keep those fingers crossed! 😄

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi, just walked part of Frances rte. Coming into Spain via CDG to Barajas, no issues. Flying out today CDG was chaotic, not enough time between flights, lots of other flights coming in had been delayed, and when my fully booked flight was scheduled to leave there were still a lot of empty seats, they ended up delaying leaving. Lots of people's passports weren't scanning, including mine 2x, the second time I got searched and swabbed over for residue. I believe Ryanair has called for strike days later this month, so that might affect travel. People were also mentioning having missed flights into Paris due to other airport delays.

Someone has mentioned it might increase train and bus demand out of Santiago. I took a night bus which was about half full, but all the day ones were booked.

In mid April I flew in delta to Toulouse from seattle via east coast and Paris no problem but coming back on klm Toulouse Amsterdam seattle they canceled the flight and had to fly next day , problem carrying my hiking sticks had to argue that I can’t walk without them so being 73 they let me go. Otherwise no problems!!!!

You’ll be fine! I’m sending good vibes your way!!!
thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Boston to Santiago in mid- April via Madrid - no problems. Also no problems Santiago to Boston via Madrid in mid June

Not related to Caminho, but Vancouver, Canada>Montreal, Canada>Lisbon, Portugal and return, May/June 2022 via Transat.

No issues at all going over, coming back--June 23--Air Transat flights 1 1/2-2 hours late, both flights. Cargo luggage ticketed through to Vancouver, arrived safely, but messaging at Montreal suggested we should clear it through customs and pick it up there. Went to check at Air Transat luggage office, to find total chaos and hundreds of pieces of luggage scattered around. Later news reports said this was true at Toronto airport as well, and still is, in both sites.

Most valuable part of this report, I think:

Our local paper in Vancouver has run stories about this chaos at Canadian airports, and there is now an app where you can check what the delay/cancellation situation is, at any major airport in Canada (helpful for Canadian travellers to Europe/the caminhos/caminos who typically have to transfer somewhere in Canada.)

Here's a story on the luggage situation:

Bom caminho in spite of all this!

We were a total of 4 flying in on different days and from different cities all from the US to do the Camino Frances in June 2022. I will summarize our experiences. 2 flying out of Kansas connection via JFK under United got canceled twice at different legs, they ended up connecting in Dulles and nonstop to Madrid from there. Their cancelations caused them to lose a day and not 2 due to their diligence in searching for options. Another flew out of Montreal ( Air France) drove from Vermont. Very smooth until layover in Paris where she said was very tight turn around and was lucky she only had her carryon and nothing checked due to customs check etc. Smooth to Madrid from Paris. Last one from Dulles nonstop to Madrid smooth no issues.
Now as far as returning all of us got bogged down at Madrid Airport long lines esp customs but made flights on time without too much difficulty. Main thing was little information or notices of what one had to do or where to go at times. If it wasn't for asking and following lines and making sure you were in the correct line in Madrid. Folks all pretty nice and helpful, just need to give yourself extra time. Arriving in Spain I felt the airport staff very friendly and helpful. Not bad for our first Camino experience.

Hello - I flew Delta from MAD to JFK on Saturday, June 25. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 10:45 am. We heard many horror stories about long lines, particularly for passport control. The airline suggested arriving 3 hours ahead, but the horror stories suggested getting to the airport even earlier.

We arrived just before 7 am. Delta check-in and bag check didn't open until 7 am so it wouldn't have helped us to get there any earlier. There was a small line (maybe 10-15 people) ahead of us. Once Delta reps opened up, it went fairly quickly.

Due to having tickets that were not basic economy, we found a TSA pre-check-like security screening area where there was no line.

Passport control had lines but they went quickly.

All in, we were through bag check, security and passport control and in line at Starbucks by 7:45 am and it was a relatively hassle free experience.

Having said that, it was a Saturday. And I imagine if we'd gotten there even 1/2 hour later, we would have had a different experience.

Good luck to all!

May United flight into Lisbon on time, 30min through immigration.
June TAP flight Malaga-Lisbon on time loading but delay on ground with no air on hot day. Delay on ground in Lisbon waiting for a transfer bus to take us to the terminal.
June United flight Lisbon-Newark on time. Security through Lisbon was moderate delays.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I am currently trying to leave Canada on my way to SJPP. Without warning or notifications, 2 of my 3 flights have been canceled.
With some amazing help from West jet staff, I am able to make it Paris. I was supposed to fly into Biarritz!
So, when I land in Paris tomorrow morning, it will be with great luck to get a flight to Biarritz, if not, I'll be taking some trains to SJPP.
I won't be starting my Camino on Monday, but with a little luck, I'll begin on Tuesday.
Send all positive vibes this way!

I won't be starting my Camino on Monday, but with a little luck, I'll begin on Tuesday.
Send all positive vibes this way!
If the timing works, take the train! As a fellow Canadian, I heartily recommend the experience--one we rarely get at home. (Sorry for the digression, moderator ;) )

Did Dublin to Biarritz and back a few weeks ago with Ryanair. Flights were slightly delayed.
This spring Dublin had major issues with check-in and security but now much improved organisation. What was most noticeable was the business ie bars restaurants were struggling to cope -even the vending machines were cleared out. It was a fairly long wait for my morning coffee and I didn't even attempt the crazy Starbucks queues, was very glad I had brought some food with me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Travelled from Auckland NZ to Lisbon via Singapore Airlines and Lufthansa and back from Santiago de Compostela via Frankfurt and Singapore. No issues at all. May/June 2022. $ 1550 return, cheapest ever.
No delays, all smooth. Bit more form filling than usual. No covid tests required if you had international vaccine pass.
Lucky.
Gosh that's cheap. I'm in AUS. Will have to look at Singapore, Lufthansa from here. Do they co-share? I've used both and have found them to be good airlines

I think this is a good thread.

We all know that past experience is no predictor of future performance, yet it is as good to hear past experience on airline travel as it is to hear of past experience in an albergue.

Perhaps one's appreciation of this thread has a direct correlation to the nearness one's next flight to and from Europe - i.e. the closer your travel date, the more interested you are in this thread.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I had several flights this year flying in and out of various Canadian cities. My luggage was never lost but there were several delays.
Landing in Montreal we sat for an hour while we waited for a plane to depart our arrival gate. Luggage took an extra hour.
Landing in Edmonton I waited ninety minutes for my luggage as they seemed to send 2 pieces of luggage on the carousel and then go for for coffee.
Vancouver airport I had a 45 minute delay on departure.
Toronto was perfect (I know! It was a miracle!).
Charlottetown I had an hour delay flying out.
Security at Edmonton took the longest time (not unusual) at 45 minutes.

Overall, considering the mess 22 was for airports and flights I think I got off easy.

*Prior to 2022 - CDG/Paris always seems to be a problem (for me at least) with flights changing gates and departure times suddenly without warning. I make a point of staying near a display terminal to check my departure gate constantly and basically keep my flight app open for notifications.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back