• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your 3 Essentials and your 3 Useless Burdens

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
So for the welfare and benefit of everyone poring over their packing lists right now...and for our next Caminos...
What did you carry that you couldn't live without...and what did you want to leave by the side of the Camino someplace?
We're all different...no-one is 'right' here...not to stir up argument, just asking. ;)

So FWIW, here's my list:
Essentials:
1. Salomon 5L Front Pocket...about 200gms and it held valuables, lunch, and everything I needed for quick and ready access. (A late addition in SJPP and the best thing I had)
2. Paper tape...Thanks to this, I had no no no blisters between the toes!!! And a roll of Omnifix from a pharmacia in Spain (it's an adhesive fabric dressing that went on the hips when the pack had rubbed a raw spot, allowing everything to heal, protected). Hallelujah on both counts.
3. Poles. At first I hated them and thought I'd made a mistake bringing them along. That lasted about 4 hours. After that they were my friends, helping me up the hills and saving me from several tumbles downhill.

Burdens:
1. Sleeping bag liner...my bag was warm enough, and heavy enough, thanks!
2. The industrial-strength first-aid kit/medicine cabinet/supplement stash. Number 2 above, Bandaids, aspirin, and antiseptic were essential, but the basics would have been fine. There are plenty of pharmacies in Spain!
3. The laundry line and clothespins. All very lightweight, but still totally unnecessary.

What do your lists look like?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Essentials

A lightweight jacket was worn daily and from mid November usually worn all day. Scarf and mittens too.

A headlamp was essential. There were a couple of places where the timers on the lights in the bathroom went out leaving me in the dark with pants around the ankles and a hank of soiled paper in hand. Never again.

I carried a tin cup for tea at breakfast (I had to resort to a can of coke for the albergues where it was not possible to get a cup of hot water). I was really glad to have it at the wine fountain at Estella.

Burdens:

My backpack that I use for backpacking is 90 liters and weighs 2.5kg empty. Next time I will buy a smaller lighter pack.

I carried a -10C sleeping bag because the information here was that the albergues were cold. It was never cold enough to close the zipper. It was usually too warm to use it as a full cover blanket. Next time it will be a lighter bag.

I carried Teva sandals with the intent of using them as evening shoes and shower sandals. The straps got wet in the shower and it was to cold to dry out. I ended up buying plastic clogs that got worn around the albergue. As it was often raining I wore boots to run errands. The Tevas stayed tied on the pack too often. I'd probably not bring them.

I carried one pole. In mid November it was cold enough to drain heat from the hand in which it usually hung as weight. It spent the rest of the camino tied to the pack. I'd leave it home next time. Not needed.

Everything was successful and necessary, except for a stainless steel cup that I abandoned because the shape was a nuisance to fit in my 31-L pack.

Things that particularly pleased me were:
1. Gel toe tubes to protect baby toe blisters (buy in pharmacy at home or in Spain). What relief it provided!
2. Merino wool buff and 2 pairs of light gloves (Oct-Nov)
3. Black Diamond folding poles

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There were a couple of places where the timers on the lights in the bathroom went out leaving me in the dark with pants around the ankles and a hank of soiled paper in hand. Never again.

LOL. The automatic turn-off lights in the toilets. That delightful experience had begun to quietly subside into my unconscious...

And I knew nothing about buffs until today. Too bad. One of those would have made the days when the temperature was hovering just above freezing muuuuuch more comfortable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just three essentials? Oooh, that's a tough one. Here goes:
- My pertex windproof jacket. I love that thing. Weighs nothing, takes the windchill off, used as evening jacket.
- Merino wool! Tights, long and short sleeve tops, socks, merino buff around my neck for cool mornings, I even have a very light merino tunic dress! I walk in it, sleep in it, go out in it and it washes and wears beautifully.
- Altus lightweight poncho - though it is really a rain coat with room for the pack inside. The perfect all-in-one quick deploy solution to rain and wind in Galicia. I would never go on any walk without it.

Three burdens? I really don't think I carry unnecessary weight in my pack anymore. Luckily I haven't needed all the stuff in my first aid kit but wouldn't leave any of it. If I carry too much it is body weight!

3 Essentials:
Small swiss knife with corkscrew – wine bottles still have corks in them in Spain.
Buff – bought in the gift shop in O’Cebreiro – it was freezing cold there.
Crocs to change into at the end of the day.

3 Burdens:
Everything in my 1st Aid Kit except Ibuprofen and Plasters – have to carry it just in case.
Small toilet roll – never needed it, but just in case.
Hiking Pole – in my pack most of the time, but like it for steep ascents and descents. (This may change to an Essential as I get older.:D)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Essentials: walking poles - used them just about every step of the way!
(Mini) Tablet - camera, and internet access all in one (as long as I could get WiFi), plus music player on one or two occasions when I just needed a little extra something to get me through some tough times!
And, my hiking sandals - with the exception of a couple of hours out of Roncesvalles I wore them the whole way from SJPdP to Finisterre, including after finishing the days walking.

Burdens: my pair of sneakers that sat in the bottom of my pack apart from those few hours out of Roncesvalles.
Two phones and associated chargers that I needed on my post Camino travels, but only used once or twice on the Camino.
Excess clothes (which mostly got left along the way in the first week).

Indeed! I would NEVER go walking without it. I've stopped at IdlV 10 times in 10 years; WW when did our paths cross?

MM

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Indeed! I would NEVER go walking without it. I've stopped at IdlV 10 times in 10 years; WW when did our paths cross?

MM

November 2012 ... Itero de la Vega where we shared a space ... and we had encounters several brief moments; the last at Alto do Polo during a snowy day. You might remember me as the fellow with the white beard. I wasn't using the whari handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Essentials:
1. Macabi skirt with those wonderful deep deep pockets.
2. iPad mini, it was my entertainment system, library, photo storage, communication system etc (except for phone calls). (no lectures about carrying electronics please)
3. KT Tape for my knee I blew out 2.5 months before my camino.

Burdens:
1. The scallop shell my husband brought me back from his camino the year before. I was so sick of the clunk clunk clunk noise that I took it of and packed it. Next trip, my scallop shell will be a fabric patch!
2. Fuji X100s. Yes I love love love the photos I took with it but I need a camera that weighs half what it does!! (and don't lecture me about bringing a camera either :)
3. Pneumonia I must have picked up my first few days in Spain and it hit me hard by the time I got to Belorado (Burgos exit point then on to Madrid and Toledo this trip)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I only wound up with one "burden" and that was the gaitors that did no good in keeping my feet dry. Everything else was essential, but my 3 favorites were: Pacer poles, Macabi skirt and my Omni Sleep sack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So for the welfare and benefit of everyone poring over their packing lists right now...and for our next Caminos...
What did you carry that you couldn't live without...and what did you want to leave by the side of the Camino someplace?
We're all different...no-one is 'right' here...not to stir up argument, just asking. ;)

So FWIW, here's my list:
Essentials:
! And a roll of Omnifix from a pharmacia in Spain (it's an adhesive fabric dressing
Omnifix YES! one of my best buys ever . A Spanish lady introduced me to it and I would never walk without it again. Useful for home too!
Forget about Compeed. Just buy a packet of sterilized lint dressings and cover with Omnifix. Works even better if you can get hold of some aloa gel too to first cover your blister.

Essentials:
- Packing cells, they make, organising, separating, compressing and retrieving your clothes so easy.
- buff, amazingly versatile. Next time I'm taking 2
- Running trainers, lightweight, breathable, blister free, an absolute joy to walk in

Burdens:
- iPad Mini. Pulled it out twice for no more than 10 minutes. Completely dead weight.
- Camera, I found using my phone far more convenient and the photos good enough to not use my camera very often. Ironically I'll be taking it with me again next week "just in case".

A great thread, but like Al, I found the essentials and burdens were not physical things, but mental/spiritual states, assumptions, knowledge, etc.

Two burdens:
1) the assumption that walking the Camino was just like backpacking, except without the tent and stove. A particularly bad assumption when it come to footwear selection (heavy waterproof boots for a summer Camino).
2) a belief that I had to "be ready" for the Camino before I walked the Camino. Leading to the conclusion (see #1) that if I screwed up, I was doomed.

Three Essentials:
1) the mental flexibility to adapt when many of my preconceived notions were proven false
2) the (in my case) slow realization that the Camino would show me how to heal from my mistakes as I walked. I did not need to heal and then walk.
3) a burning desire to keep walking to Santiago that I cannot rationally explain (I'm not Catholic, and I think the odds of St. James actually being buried there are remote).

I can't wait to go back, and I can't explain that either.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Beautiful.
And since you and Al have brought it up:
On the inner level...
Essential:
Patience, contentment, compassionate understanding (Towards myself, towards others...both)
Could have done without:
Self-righteousness, selfishness about space, self-judgement, impatience. In other words ego. Me and my little Camino...it can be so easy to get wrapped up in that.

A great thread, but like Al, I found the essentials and burdens were not physical things, but mental/spiritual states, assumptions, knowledge, etc.

Two burdens:
1) the assumption that walking the Camino was just like backpacking, except without the tent and stove. A particularly bad assumption when it come to footwear selection (heavy waterproof boots for a summer Camino).
2) a belief that I had to "be ready" for the Camino before I walked the Camino. Leading to the conclusion (see #1) that if I screwed up, I was doomed.

Three Essentials:
1) the mental flexibility to adapt when many of my preconceived notions were proven false
2) the (in my case) slow realization that the Camino would show me how to heal from my mistakes as I walked. I did not need to heal and then walk.
3) a burning desire to keep walking to Santiago that I cannot rationally explain (I'm not Catholic, and I think the odds of St. James actually being buried there are remote).

I can't wait to go back, and I can't explain that either.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo
I loved this post. I think one of the important things to bring...the I can't do without would be an openness to hear, see , feel, do, act as we are being directed from God, or if you prefer the universe. The fact that you don't have to be whole or ready is so wonderful...that you can heal along the road is so encouraging!

The fact that you don't have to be whole or ready is so wonderful...that you can heal along the road is so encouraging!
Oh, yes, totally. You and Jo Jo are right on. We all start out as we are, and walk. Nothing to fix, nothing to do--except to open to ourselves and others, however we all are. And cultivating love, acceptance, contentment......

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok - here I go, inspired by some other's posts:
Essentials

Physical = a sarong. I found it could serve as scarf, towel, pretty belt, privacy screen when in a bottom bunk, extra warmth, or a pillow cover at night; I even offered it to a pilgrim who had begun her camino in Sarria. While in the ladies room at the same albergue on her first night on the camino, she asked me as she turned the water off in her shower, "Where are the towels?" :rolleyes::p:) it's around my neck in my avatar - purple and sassy

Non-Physical = letting go of any kind of control that I thought I had over anything. That includes myself and others, the weather, food, environment ...... it became essential to listen and pay attention to what was happening at that moment. That is where I found the most joy, the most inspiration, the most insight, the greatest depth and the biggest laughter....in the moment.

Ear plugs.

I didn't have anything that was a burden, persay. I packed light and if I needed something, I bought it as I went.

Last edited:
Never used my sun glasses--you are walking west! Never opened my one liter bottle of water but carried it from SJPDP to Santiago! Never wore my gloves..but saw lot of hikers wearing gloves.

Things I would not walk again without carrying --Clothes pins & Clothes line; Sleeping Bag; Salt & Pepper; Sleeping pad; hook to put on shower door to hang my clothes/gear on while taking a shower.

Impressed with Korean girls wearing earmuffs and the girls from OZ with the BIG ponchos and envied those people carrying immersion heaters to make coffee in the mornings.

I love this thread. I'm about to start my second Camino so let's tackle the first Camino and then the second:

Camino 2013 Essentials
1) ultralight trekking poles: To say I loved these would be an understatement. I had horrible leg injuries and these poles were the only reason I could finish.
2) Injini Toe Socks: Having quick drying socks with toes drastically reduced blisters. Almost none.
3) Saucony Peregrine 3 trail shoes: These are like gym shoes with a more aggressive bottom for traction. They weigh nothing and if you walk through a river they dry in about 20 steps. Honestly this technology was amazing.

Camino 2013 Burdens
1) Laptop - I brought a 2 lbs laptop. Didn't realize the charger was almost another 1.5 lbs. Barely used it. Didn't need extra weight.
2) Camera Tripod: Another pound of weight I only used on my very first photo. I took exactly 700 photos on the Camino. The other 699 did not need a tripod.
3) 3-liter water container: I didn't realize how easy it was to get water on the Camino. Carrying 3 liters all the time was crazy. It was another 10 lbs. I only needed 1 liter.

There were so many other burdens I could have listed. My 32 lbs backpack was insane.

Now for the 2015 Essentials:
1) My Camino Microsoft Word document: I compiled notes for every day and saved them in my phone. I have the map, what to see and do in each town, important historical information, and details on where to stay each night. I can quickly review it before starting each day to make sure I get the most out of my time on the Camino!
2) Headlamp: Last time I had a flashlight and it was a pain. This time I have a Black Diamond Spot headlamp which is very bright and has a long battery life!
3) Ultralight travel foam roller: I had some serious leg problems last Camino and my half-pound foam roller would have helped me each night. This time I am bringing one along.

I could list a dozen essentials. My pack for my first Camino was 32lbs (before adding water) and my pack for 2015 is about 13 lbs.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Essentials: voltaren pills, Rx orthotics, antichaffing cream.

Burdens: cool pack (thought I might cook and what to carry leftovers the next day), egg carrier (thought I would prepare 2 hard boiled eggs at night to eat on the way the next day), sunhat.

You could always use the egg carrier to...ummmm...hold little rocks for the cruz de fero??
At least it was light! ;)

Huh, lots of essentials, like boots, backpack, money, colapsible walking poles, headlamp etc. but if I had to pick three out of other items those would surely be:
1.) swiss army knife (with corkscrew ;), toothpick, scissors,...)
2.) lighter (I'm a smoker...)
3.) thick but lightweight paperback book

Burdens? Maybe:
1.) my laziness :rolleyes:
2.) shaving kit (although the smallest and lightest version of it)
3.) my snoring :eek: :mad: (I could've managed without it and so could other pilgrims in dorms...;))

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Essentials:
2. iPad mini, it was my entertainment system, library, photo storage, communication system etc (except for phone calls). (no lectures about carrying electronics please)

Burdens:
1. The scallop shell my husband brought me back from his camino the year before. I was so sick of the clunk clunk clunk noise that I took it of and packed it. Next trip, my scallop shell will be a fabric patch!
2. Fuji X100s. Yes I love love love the photos I took with it but I need a camera that weighs half what it does!! (and don't lecture me about bringing a camera either :)
3. Pneumonia I must have picked up my first few days in Spain and it hit me hard by the time I got to Belorado (Burgos exit point then on to Madrid and Toledo this trip)
Essentials:

Burdens:

After injuring my knees on the Camino Frances last year (typical newbie mistakes), I am walking again this summer. KT tape is my favorite for knee support and I am wondering if you brought enough with you to last the entire Camino or did you buy some at pharmacies along the way? I didn't pay much attention to whether or not it was sold in Spain last year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Useful

Leggings - for cold days, sleeping, wearing when I did THE big wash
Soluble coffee in sachets - without caffeine I don't find any yellow arrows
A walking pole - as I am quite clumsy

Useless

Did too many km/mi to still take anything superfluous with me

Buen Camino, SY

The one thing I found incredibly helpful was having a small drawstring cloth bag (or anything similarly weightless) to take into town with me at the end of the day - to hold money, phone, etc. Before that, I was hobbling into cafes with plasters on my toes and that unmistakably sexy camino sock-tan, carrying everything in a plastic mercadona bag… mmm, classy….

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After injuring my knees on the Camino Frances last year (typical newbie mistakes), I am walking again this summer. KT tape is my favorite for knee support and I am wondering if you brought enough with you to last the entire Camino or did you buy some at pharmacies along the way? I didn't pay much attention to whether or not it was sold in Spain last year.
Despite diligently searching, we could not find KT tape for love or money until Astorga, when a physical therapy training school came and wrapped every pilgrim in it from head to toe (only a slight exaggeration). I would take my own supply.

I just got back from camino Frances yesterday and here is my (fresh) list!

Essentials:
a sarong which is perfect to hang in front of the bed, for the showers and as a picnic blanket
lightweight cotton PJs pants (no, no-one wants to see anyone walking around in just their underwear!)
an e-reader for afternoons and restdays and sleepless nights due to someone elses snoring...

Burdens:
a fancy shirt for going out (wore it once)
a tea mug
too large medical kit (you can get it all in Spain or fellow pilgrims will be happy to share what ever you need)

Best things
  • injinji toe socks - no blisters
  • sea to summit day pack - useful everyday especially when I got to Sarria and sent my large pack ahead.
  • trekking poles- critical for all downhill sections of the camino.
Burden
  • pack cover - never put on, just used my Farino Trekker
  • clothes line - every where provided clotheslines
  • fels- naptha soap (for washing clothes) - soap was available or else I used my hair soap.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Essentials:
1. Poles. Without them I would still be in the Pyrenees, crying.
2. Dark chocolate with almonds and vino tinto.
3. Shawl. Fulfilled so many tasks!

Burdens:
1. Vaseline. Never used and didn't even understand what for. Luckily I had only a teaspoonful.
2. Long sleeved t-shirt.

Could add more essentials but the burden list is as short as this.

Summer list

1 Salomon x country 2 shoes
2 sony z3
3 camelbak pack

1 underwear
2 stove
3 down sleeping bag

My 'other-half'
Good boots
Triple socks

Suncream
Suncream
and
Suncream

Yes, it has been on 3 Caminos and never used!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
1. Pacerpoles
2. Inch wide big roll of white sports tape. Has stopped lots of blisters and stays on. Also good for shoulders, backs...anywhere the pack may rub.
3. Injinji socks

Useless or underused:
The impulse portable sink. It weighs nothing but I haven't used it yet.
My tablet as I use my phone.
Left my headlamp at home. Haven't missed it yet.

My essentials
A skirt I put in as a just in case.....wore it almost everyday for 5 weeks.
Light cheesecloth scarf.....another just in case item......wore it wet for 2-3 weeks wrapped round my neck or head.....was hot hot hot in May.
My pacer poles......love them to bits.....nearly lost them on one occassion.....went shopping for picnic items bought baguette.....put it under my arm.....where shortened poles were when not being used .....and much to the amusement of my camino family walked off without a care in the world.....for about five minutes.....when panic set in..

Useless/underused
Waterproofs...rained once in 35 days...I was lucky....but dare not lighten my load and send on ......as the only time it rained it was like standing under firehouse.
Camera....used phone camera.
Sock liners, tech socks and t shirts.....tech liners i gave away to someone with terrible blisters and they wore them as their main sock..... tech socks....just didn't work ? Due to heat ...bought two pairs of Spanish socks perfect..tech t shirts....way too smelly....:oops:

Fiona i thought of a kilt and treking sandals, camelbak thats it.

What is it like to trek in a skirt?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fiona i thought of a kilt and treking sandals, camelbak thats it.

What is it like to trek in a skirt?
Fantastic...very cool....comfortable..would highly recommend if you are expecting it to be hot when you go.....i think 37'c was the hottest temp in May...i dislike the heat.....some people asked if I had any chaffing but luckily I did not. I think Vaseline or a barrier cream/spray such as cavilon would resolve that issue. Cavilon available in some farmacia in spain.... I had to top up my supply bought in uk. I was using the spray on my feet to prevent blisters....it provides a waterproof but breathable barrier to your skin. Didn't get blisters so think it worked.

Now that the next camino is on the horizon, I'm looking at this thread again for inspiration about what to not carry--and am really appreciating the variety of everyone's answers.
:DUnfortunately I'm gleaning more from the essential lists than the 'ditch it' lists! (KT tape is definitely going. As is a buff, if I can find a plain one that is).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
3 essential:

-Trekking poles with rubber tips
-Leatherman CS4 multi tool (like a Swiss Army knife, but better)
-Wool T-shirts

3 things I'd dump:

-Bungee cord, people said to bring it, I have no idea why. If I did need something like that, 550 paracord is much more versatile.
-Cheap sandals, I would have been better off with either $2 flip-flops or quality hiking sandals. Going for the middle of the road option was a failure.
-About the only other thing I can think of was some REI brand socks. I think they were some type of wool blend. They were not comfortable at all.

Other than the bungee cord I think I used everything in my pack on a regular basis. I had it parred down pretty well before I left. However, I met a guy from New Zealand who took light weight to a new level. He was carrying next to nothing. He was able to put everything into a bandana!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Love 'em or hate 'em...I'm in the first category...

jbear, thanks for the reminder! Mine wore through and so I took them off--and I forgot to add them to my list of things to pack.
Mine wandered off at thefirst sight if mud: Pacer Poles. Now I just clink amd clank.

The screw on ones won't slip off.
Weeeellll...mine were the slip on kind, and I had no trouble with them coming off in mud. They eventually wore through on the bottom and were so stuck that I had to cut them off. It was a fight. Maybe it has something to do with the diameter of your poles, Anemone?
Now I just clink amd clank.
Some people go nuts when they hear this sound...and I have to admit I don't always like it either. Especially on a day when I'm feeling grumpy after a 'bad' albergue night and I'm too tired to be very aware of how reactive I am. So thank you, Anemone (and fellow clackers), for the 'wake up call'...it never fails to show me if I need to clean up my act inside! (Not kidding...this harmless little sound is my Camino 'mindfulness bell')

Weeeellll...mine were the slip on kind, and I had no trouble with them coming off in mud. They eventually wore through on the bottom and were so stuck that I had to cut them off. It was a fight. Maybe it has something to do with the diameter of your poles, Anemone?

Some people go nuts when they hear this sound...and I have to admit I don't always like it either. Especially on a day when I'm feeling grumpy after a 'bad' albergue night and I'm too tired to be very aware of how reactive I am. So thank you, Anemone (and fellow clackers), for the 'wake up call'...it never fails to show me if I need to clean up my act inside! (Not kidding...this harmless little sound is my Camino 'mindfulness bell')

We had quite a little business going during our Camino - constantly picking up lost rubber tips along the Way and then either reuniting them with their surprised owners or gifting unclaimed ones to those in need of some peace and quiet. The store in Zubiri has a jar full of rubber tips for sale (and plain Buffs).

Then there was the pilgrim who would d-r-a-g her untapped poles over cobblestones through villages. It was the only time that I ever saw a local ask someone to SSSHHH!

To return to the OP: we always review our packs on returning from a trip and, after the Camino, the only item that I did not use was a warm pair of goretex gloves but we were very fortunate with the weather so I would take them again. Other than that no useless burdens except a bunged-up foot.

Essentials
Buff Buff Buff (be warned they breed!)
trekking poles (with tips) that you are experienced with
trigger point (spiky) massage ball for all those little aches and pains along the Way

Then there was the pilgrim who would d-r-a-g her untapped poles over cobblestones through villages. It was the only time that I ever saw a local ask someone to SSSHHH!
:eek:Nooooooooo.
The store in Zubiri has a jar full of rubber tips for sale (and plain Buffs).
Well, it's unlikely that I'll be going through Zubiri this time, but it the store there has such things, no doubt that other shops in bigger places will too.
trigger point (spiky) massage ball for all those little aches and pains along the Way
Oh, great. One more thing to add to the 'to take' list. :confused: But this sounds like a good idea. Arches in the evening...
Buff Buff Buff (be warned they breed!)
Oh? Parthenogenesis? I will only have one.:D
tip butlers
So, Rob the Slob...?? Never heard of tip butlers. Hee hee...are they the guys who negotiate the gratuity in one of those Michelin starred restaurants everybody's talking about in the other thread? Sounds like an altogether too expensive proposition for this renunciate. :D
Please enlighten me...

So, Rob the Slob...?? Never heard of tip butlers. Hee hee...are they the guys who negotiate the gratuity in one of those Michelin starred restaurants everybody's talking about in the other thread? Sounds like an altogether too expensive proposition for this renunciate. :D
Please enlighten me...

Tip butlers, or pad butlers or cap butlers, are plastic clips that you fasten to your poles where you can put your rubber tips when you don't want to use them.
Tip butler.jpg
Press the lower end down with your thumb and slip the tip over the top end. The butler has a spring mechanism that makes sure that the tip stays in place.

3-liter water container: I didn't realize how easy it was to get water on the Camino. Carrying 3 liters all the time was crazy. It was another 10 lbs. I only needed 1 liter.

I carry a 3 liter container ... but only fill it with 1 or 1.5 liters. There are some stretches where you need more, and then you have it. The difference in weight between a 1 litre container and a 3 liter bladder is insignificant (I use SOURCE on the outside of my pack as I don't like the concept of water inside the pack).

Essentials :
1. Front pack - changes weight distribution and overall sense of weight in a surprising way
2. Water bladder with sip system (1st camino with a bottle, did not drink enough, 2nd and 3rd with sip system when I drank as much as I needed without breaking stride)
3. SOL Escape Bivvy instead of sleeping bag : on 1st camino took 1kg sleeping bag and was too warm, bivvy is 250grams and packs into a fist-size bag

Burdens :
1. ipod : took always - never used
2. Poles : took on 1st camino, definitely useful for 20% of the way, eff-ing nuisance for the rest
3. extra clothes : tend to take multiple variants for different conditions (November walking) and only use half

Isn't it amazing what we take that seems so essential at packing time but then...

I always take too many socks...and then there's the 'essential' gear that never actually sees the light of day but simply takes up space in the bottom of the pack. My version of @hamshiretim's ipod is not electronic, but a ditty bag full of odds and ends of equipment that I 'might really need' but never do. The torch. The parachute cord to use for a clothesline, the safety pins for hanging things on said clothesline, the little bit of duct tape, etc etc. This time I'm ditching most of it, except the led finger torch--plus a mini swiss army knife and a tiny sewing kit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My three essential
1. umbrella
2. crocs
3. 6 socks

Burdens
1. Boots
2. One too many change of clothes
3. Heavy sleeping bag, temperature great, weight not so great @2.3 lb
4. Pack too heavy

Zzotte

Isn't it amazing what we take that seems so essential at packing time but then...

I always take too many socks...

There is no such thing as 'too many socks'...

My three essential
1. umbrella
2. crocs
3. 6 socks

I rest my case - a kindred spirit.

Well, gee. I wouldn't say 6 socks is too many...six pairs, maybe, but not 6 individual socks.;)
And I'm definitely with you about the crocs.
The umbrella is a maybe. One camino I took one, the second one not--even though I had used it a lot the first time--and I didn't miss it. But if I were walking in the summer I would definitely take one again...portable shade!

€60,-
Agree also on the crocs. Have a very old pair of trail breaker ones that are constant companions and are a great second shoe if required.

trailbreak.jpg

LOL I like keeping my feet dry so I change socks as often as I can, six pairs is just right, as for umbrella its like Amex card LOL never leave home without it. :)

Zzotte

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just goes to show...we all have our different priorities!
I'm bonded to my sticks, but not to my electronics. The last thing I want to do on the Camino is connect/blog/sit in front of a screen! But I have no particular aversion to others doing that. In fact, when other people post about their journeys here, I'm delighted to read the running updates. Hee hee...Good thing I'm human and so not needing to be consistent!:p

So can I infer that I have a great mind?!:D
(Ha ha ...Not!!)
Thanks, Icaros...that's priceless. (Given the last 2 winners that you've posted, I'm guessing the rest of the quotes on your fridge must be pretty good, too!)

Except that flexibility is absolutely essential to a happy camino--and flexibility and consistency don't usually co-exist.
(Well, yes, that rationalization is a bit of a stretch. Sorry mods...we may be going a tad far afield. But Icaros, that's 3 in a row. it think you are probably brilliant.:))

Well, we can think what we like.;)
But that's a good point...the camino is hardly consistent, and getting to the point of being content with that takes more than equipment. It takes a lot of old-fashioned qualities...patience, perseverance, humor, kindness, (and just a few more!...).
But imagination is vital, too, and I never thought of it in that light.
One more essential!

Essentials

4 pairs of socks
3 pair of underwear
My sense of humour

Non-essential

Head lamp - having had a bright headlamp shine in my eyes way too many times I have sworn off ever carrying one and doing the same to others.
Paracord
Tube of vaseline - but I did give it to someone who was looking for some.

Didn't pack anything that I didn't use at least once or twice except the paracord and to be honest I found it along the trail and initially picked it up as trash then carried it to Santiago ..... where I put it into the trash.

What?????:eek:
I'm with you, Angie. Taking simplicity to a waaaay deeper level, I guess. @jbear, did you happen to see what was in that bandanna?
Didn't pack anything that I didn't use at least once or twice except the paracord and to be honest I found it along the trail and initially picked it up as trash then carried it to Santiago ..... where I put it into the trash.
:D
This time I'm taking only one extra pair of socks. But will be picking up trash. So I guess it balances out.
And I've picked up some good tips here, thank you everyone! Buff...definitely will find a buff. and one of those little massage balls for my arches.

Must haves:
1. Aarn Bodypack, perfect "backpack" for those with neck and back problems
2. Rain pants - I hate being cold and wet
3. Slip N Snip scissors, the ones made in the US, used them every day.

Didn't use:
1. Headlamp
2. Extension cord
3. Having a hard time coming up with #3, I guess we were pretty efficient after all.

What?????:eek:

@jbear, did you happen to see what was in that bandanna?
:D

I didn't look, but I would think socks and a pair of skivvies. Wasn't much room for anything else. He also had some items to practice his juggling. He was a nice guy- I'd say eccentric, but let's all look in the mirror, this whole thing is a bit eccentric. :D

€46,-
During past caminos I have seen multitudes of backpacks; usually far too loaded and resembling that of Father Christmas but without any cheery 'ho-ho-ho'. However, one pilgrim with whom I climbed O Cebreiro 2012 in a late November blizzard seemed to have the perfect solution.

He had neither pack nor sleeping bag but simply carried all essentials within 4 sturdy zip-lock bags in his pockets.Two large pockets on a snow-proof jacket contained Crendencial, passport, smartphone/charger, toiletries and a miniscule towel. Two pockets on his snow-proof trousers contained a change of briefs, second set of long underwear, second pair of hiking socks, a silk/polyester bag liner and flip flops. Nothing more was deemed necessary. ...Climbing together through a white-out for more five hours I learned this 'secret' and many more!!
MM

I would think socks and a pair of skivvies. Wasn't much room for anything else.
.Climbing together through a white-out for more five hours I learned this 'secret' and many more!!
There you go, everyone--the solution to your packing conundrums! Just say no. These guys could teach all of us father christmas types a thing or two about simplicity. Well, I'm inspired, anyway. No, really--not joking.
And Margaret, you are a master of understatement--this sounds like quite a tale. And we're left hanging...curious minds want to know: what were the other secrets? Perhaps worth another thread.
He was a nice guy- I'd say eccentric, but let's all look in the mirror, this whole thing is a bit eccentric. :D
Yes indeed. I like to think not, but the mirror definitely says eccentric--or rather 'Honey, you're off the edge!". :)

A sense of humor is one thing I have in abundance. As a nurse, I never felt I had done my job unless I left the room with my patient laughing. I plan to use it the whole way to Santiago!! ( I drive my kids crazy laughing at all the one liners on sitcoms)

Last edited:
I love this thread. I'm about to start my second Camino so let's tackle the first Camino and then the second:

Camino 2013 Essentials
1) ultralight trekking poles: To say I loved these would be an understatement. I had horrible leg injuries and these poles were the only reason I could finish.
2) Injini Toe Socks: Having quick drying socks with toes drastically reduced blisters. Almost none.
3) Saucony Peregrine 3 trail shoes: These are like gym shoes with a more aggressive bottom for traction. They weigh nothing and if you walk through a river they dry in about 20 steps. Honestly this technology was amazing.

Camino 2013 Burdens
1) Laptop - I brought a 2 lbs laptop. Didn't realize the charger was almost another 1.5 lbs. Barely used it. Didn't need extra weight.
2) Camera Tripod: Another pound of weight I only used on my very first photo. I took exactly 700 photos on the Camino. The other 699 did not need a tripod.
3) 3-liter water container: I didn't realize how easy it was to get water on the Camino. Carrying 3 liters all the time was crazy. It was another 10 lbs. I only needed 1 liter.

There were so many other burdens I could have listed. My 32 lbs backpack was insane.

Now for the 2015 Essentials:
1) My Camino Microsoft Word document: I compiled notes for every day and saved them in my phone. I have the map, what to see and do in each town, important historical information, and details on where to stay each night. I can quickly review it before starting each day to make sure I get the most out of my time on the Camino!
2) Headlamp: Last time I had a flashlight and it was a pain. This time I have a Black Diamond Spot headlamp which is very bright and has a long battery life!
3) Ultralight travel foam roller: I had some serious leg problems last Camino and my half-pound foam roller would have helped me each night. This time I am bringing one along.

I could list a dozen essentials. My pack for my first Camino was 32lbs (before adding water) and my pack for 2015 is about 13 lbs.

SuperPilgrim, I understand the usefulness of a foam roller, but am wondering if you could use a tennis ball to get similar benefits? Would be very packable.....

SuperPilgrim, I understand the usefulness of a foam roller, but am wondering if you could use a tennis ball to get similar benefits? Would be very packable.....[

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh I remember you talking about that electric coil...got that one checked in my list...lol

I have an electric coil that I leave home at the last minute every time, thinking it too bulky, and then wish I had it. I also end up getting rid of the cup I packed, though, which is awkward to fit in the pack.

I found kinesio tape (or a good version of it) in several farmacias and saw bowls of pole tips in sports stores along the way.

I never used my headlamp and threw out my laundry line that kept getting scrambled in a knot.

Another interesting list would be the things we *wished* we had; especially the things we decided against at the last minute or shipped ahead to Santiago from Pamplona. I was sorry I didn't have my sarong, electric heater coil and my little fishing kit (I decided against them at the last minute). I took great pictures on my phone, but wished I had some way to type journal notes (it's hard to go back to hard copy writing after years of typing). I loved my big bar of homemade grapefruit scented soap (in a net bag), and was sad when it finally ran out about a week before Santiago. I wished I'd carried at least one more bar; for me and maybe a couple to give away to others.

However I enjoyed my lightweight pack.

These are things that come highly recommended but that I've never missed:

1. Duct tape
2. Electric coil
3. A knife
4. Tin or bottle opener
5. Vaseline

These are things that I have occasionally lusted for, but still would not take (to save weight):

1. A big, decent hairbrush
2. A hairdryer
3. A proper pillow
4. A folding camp chair
5. A cotton sleeping bag liner (instead of silk)
6. A large fluffy towel.
7. More clothes including jeans, ditto shoes or sandals.
8. Perfume and makeup.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have an electric coil that I leave home at the last minute every time, thinking it too bulky, and then wish I had it. I also end up getting rid of the cup I packed, though, which is awkward to fit in the pack.
I'd forgotten about this thread, Jill, thanks for bumping it. Now is the time when everyone's pondering these kinds of questions.
The coil club has many dedicated members, but I also never bring one. And have regretted that sometimes on more out of the way caminos. Maybe ask Laurie about the S+P - she'll have a sense as to whether it's worth packing a coil. But she is biassed.:p

Looking at my original post, the only thing I would change is a result of walking in the summer rather than the spring:
Take the liner, leave the bag behind!
The rest stays the same.

Wow great list, @Kanga...me too:
3. A proper pillow
6. A large fluffy towel.
Yes, yes, and yes!
I am thinking that a cotton waffle weave towel would be a good possibility. They are lighter than the usual terrycloth and just as absorbent. A friend recently visited Singapore and brought one back for me, and it's great.

And heartfelt agreement with @annakappa's post (after a few more caminos where I really needed it):
Omnifix YES! one of my best buys ever .

These are things that I have occasionally lusted for, but still would not take (to save weight):

1. A big, decent hairbrush
2. A hairdryer
3. A proper pillow
4. A folding camp chair
6. A large fluffy towel.
7. More clothes including jeans, ditto shoes or sandals.
8. Perfume and makeup.

I have a cotton/silk blend liner and it was worth every bit of it.

Oh, and here's something that I never saw anybody else with that I really appreciated having: very lightweight synthetic fiber gloves I wore to keep my hands from getting sweaty with my pacer poles. I loved those things. And a little sewing kit (just a couple needles and some thread) I used to repair a small tear in my gloves after wearing them every day for about two months. I bought another pair of those gloves the next year for the Camino, too. Unfortunately Outdoor Research no longer offers them, so I had to get a knock-off the second year.

If this thread proves anything to me it's that one person's junk is another person's gold!

My gold:
- iPad mini (camera, guidebook, maps, diary, all-in-one)
- Hirschtalg cream (German wonder for zero blisters)
- Teabags and powdered milk (because I'm British)

My junk:
- Toe socks (didn't do anything against blisters and felt weird)
- Buff (too hot, too tight, looks odd, meh)
- Penknife (too heavy, could have used a plastic knife for the handful of times it was needed)

If this thread proves anything to me it's that one person's junk is another person's gold!

My gold:
- iPad mini (camera, guidebook, maps, diary, all-in-one)
- Hirschtalg cream (German wonder for zero blisters)
- Teabags and powdered milk (because I'm British)

My junk:
- Toe socks (didn't do anything against blisters and felt weird)
- Buff (too hot, too tight, looks odd, meh)
- Penknife (too heavy, could have used a plastic knife for the handful of times it was needed)

Although it may be sacrilegious to say it here, I kind of agree with you here about the buff. I had one and it was versatile, but it was tight and I have to think somebody could come up with a better design.

Although it may be sacrilegious to say it here, I kind of agree with you here about the buff.
I was happy to find that I actually like mine; but then it's a merino one rather than synthetic. I don't know if that's the difference. And I mostly just use it as a neck-warmer, or maybe to pull up over my ears - so in that role it's nice and comfy.

At the risk of being cried down again might I risk promoting my ‘if it’s been dormant for 12 months, lock it down!’ proposal?

If I were to emulate that my “bandanna” would have to be a tablecloth...
You and the rest of us, @ConDios 🤭
Every time I walk there has been something I have carried but not used.
But this year it was mostly just a few first aid things that weighed almost nothing. Getting there! But I still had too many socks......

Our threads crossed, but thank you @SeaHorse .
@henrythedog , here's another POV...some threads are obviously time sensitive, but the ones like this one are timeless. So I am liking how the recent changes bring up older threads, and how sometimes they come to life again.

There's a wealth of wisdom here and I really enjoy reading what I missed because it was started before I was here. Or just because I didn't see it in the first place.

And if there's something I don't want to read, there's no need to read it. ;)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.