• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your accommodation doesn't make you a pilgrim!

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Our wise and experienced member Sillydol has posted this on Facebook. A true and sincere analysis :

DID YOU KNOW - pilgrims to Santiago were never meant to only stay in albergues?
In 1987 at a conference held by the AMIGOS (Friends of the Camino) in Jaca it was suggested that 'refugios' similar to those offered in the middle ages be established in remote villages and mountain areas of the Camino where there were few options for pilgrims to stay.
As there were many hotels, pensions etc in towns and large villages, only one 'donativo' albergue would be established in bigger towns for pilgrims who could not afford to pay for hotels or pensions.
The minutes of this conference show that the refugios would not be for tourists in cars but for walking, cycling and horseback pilgrims only.
It was never intended that pilgrims should only stay in the sponsored refugios. This would be in conflict with the already struggling hospitaltity industry.
Somewhere, 30-odd years ago, an urban legend that pilgrims should only stay in albergues was started, and soon pressure developed on the donativo refugios.
Today there are many lovely private albergues, semi-albergues established in people's homes, and other great places to stay. There is no way to exact a means test on pilgrims, but if you can afford these, perhaps you can help to take the pressure off the few donativo albergues that still survive by leaving them to those who cant afford the alternatives.
PS: Many people don't like staying in albergues but they say that they felt as though they were 'cheating' by staying in a hotel of pension. There is no such thing!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very well said.
I have felt a certain sense of superiority by those staying in albergues. At the same time there are comments about overcrowding.

It makes sense to me that if you can afford it you should NOT stay in an albergue.

Juanajoanna

The one problem I see with this (and I stay in albergues as well as pensiones/hoteles) is that if only the 'poor' stay in albergues there might not be enough donativos in the box in the long run. You need the odd generous rich pilgrim that puts in the odd 100 Euro note ;-) But then, that could be done without staying in the albergue ... Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It makes sense to me that if you can afford it you should NOT stay in an albergue.
That might make sense when albergues are crowded. However, ideally the albergue would have a mixture of pilgrims from various situations in life; it wouldn't be the "place where the poor people stay." The fact that it is often hard to tell who is rich/poor/professional/artist/married/single, etc. is one of the attractions of the pilgrimage. That's also why the donation box is meant to be anonymous.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is often a sense of community in albergues that is lacking in hotels - you get to hang out with pilgrims, not business travelser or tourists who sneer at your scruffy clothes.

I will gladly stay at hotels or private pensions that have some kind of community area, apart from the expensive hotel bar...

We stayed only in private accomodations and were surprised at how often we ran into the same people, even in towns where there were a variety of hostels, casa rurals, inns, avaliable. We quickly formed a bit of a "private accomodation family" and looked forward to who among that handful we'd run into the next night.
Thanks for the post, JohnnyWalker. An eye-opener for many, I imagine. I remember when Sillydoll put it up about a year ago and was surprised and grateful to read it.
We ran into pilgrims who clearly looked down on us because we weren't doing the albergue thing. Fortunately, there were only a few. But they are definitely out there!

There is often a sense of community in albergues that is lacking in hotels - you get to hang out with pilgrims, not business travelser or tourists who sneer at your scruffy clothes.

I will gladly stay at hotels or private pensions that have some kind of community area, apart from the expensive hotel bar...

Whilst I enjoy to have my own (snorer free) environment and even my own bathroom - this is exactly what I miss at most pensions/hotels - I am confined to my own room unless I buy an (expensive) drink at the hotel bar. Albergues just offer that 'common hang out' space which I love ;-) Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Well I can only say that the business traveller or regular tourist never sneered at me when I occasionally stayed in a posh hotel /restaurant.
On the contrary these kind of meetings mostly ended in interesting conversations about life, choices and dreams.

True, you don’t have to stay in an albergue to be “a true pilgrim”. But, I have to say, I never really “got it” until I stayed in albergues. In albergues I have to stop thinking about me all the time; about this being “my camino”. It’s not my camino, it’s everyone else’s camino too. In albergues I have to be considerate to those around me: lie on my side, so I don’t snore; don’t put my backpack on a chair in case someone needs to sit on it (duhh!); thank those kind people I met later who left early but never woke me. The list is endless. I need to stay in albergues, otherwise I become too self-centred; and that’s not what it’s all about, at least, not for me. Private accommodations are my life-line: for when it all goes awry (we’re all human), and I need my own space to back-off, relax, take stock, re-adjust, take a deep breath, and try again. This camino thing is not easy! Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mmmm I was worrying about this last night . I AM intending to stay in hotels because :
I need to " regroup" at the end if the day .... Give my mind a break ...
I am not rich nor selfish but think I will cope better if I don't have to fret about being in the toilet or shower too long while others are waiting and being able to get a good nights sleep in quiet
I also don't mind paying to support the local economy who see lots of people walking past their door ..
I have a live and let live policy . What others do is their right to chose and by the same token what I chose is also my right and does NOT make me more or less of anything .
I also don't mind sharing a room if it has two single beds with someone who feels weary or misses a bed at the albergues.

Last night I worried I might feel isolated; might feel alienated ; might be lonely :cool: Overthinking ??? Moi :eek:???

Anyway along with all my other worries , I shall rock up and see what happens .
I am travelling via Valcarlos staying overnight and worry about those first few days .... If I stay private in Valcarlos and see pilgrims having dinner I will worry about whether to join them for fear of ridicule and not being one of them ..... I feel that this may become one of my big lessons on Camino ... Not to worry what others think ...

Annie

I feel that this may become one of my big lessons on Camino ... Not to worry what others think
I think this is also a lesson I will have to learn on the Camino. It's been the story of my life and something that I need to learn to drop. Hmmmmm, I think I will take a pebble with me to represent that.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Soy una peregrina , puedo comer con usted
Je suis un pèlerin , puis-je manger avec vous
Ich bin ein Pilger , kann ich mit Ihnen essen
Ik ben een pelgrim , mag ik met u te eten
Sunt un pelerin , pot să mănânc cu tine

I'm a pilgrim, and a pagan, and an anarchist, and a tinker, and a ditch-pig, and a moderator: and I offer a hand in friendship as will many many more on that road. And those that don't - well they ain't none of the above ;)

I like albergues because of their communal spirit, conviviality, enthusiasm and diversity. To me, they are one of the Camino wonders.
Many private albergues have the same feeling. I really can't distinguish so neatly between "public" vs "private" ones. Many municipal, church or conventual albergues currently demand a set amount. Some private ones are kept more by enthusiasm than for income. The borders are blurred, moving.
I think that, today, the real contrast is between communal, shared (=albergues), vs private, personal accomodations (=hostals, hotels).

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think that, today, the real contrast is between communal, shared (=albergues), vs private, personal accomodations (=hostals, hotels).
When walking with my wife this year, I don't think that the distinctions were this simple. Certainly albergues offered greater opportunities for communal sharing, but private accommodation didn't always preclude using common areas or meeting other pilgrims when eating out, etc. I think there are many more factors at play here than this.

When walking with my wife this year, I don't think that the distinctions were this simple. Certainly albergues offered greater opportunities for communal sharing, but private accommodation didn't always preclude using common areas or meeting other pilgrims when eating out, etc. I think there are many more factors at play here than this.

That`s what I said (or rather intended to said...sometimes the nuances of English are too much to me). That is, that the line between public and private albergues is currently not so clear and evident. The experience could be quite similar, too.
Hotels and hostals with private rooms, on the other side, are another thing (I tried them my last time, for similar reasons...) Sometimes comfortable, convenient -but basically, boring. But well, sometimes "boring" is good, too.

I think that one of the best developments in camino "hotellery" over the last few years has been that private albergues are adding private rooms in addition to their traditional bunk bed rooms. I had a very nasty cold and cough for about a week of my camino this past summer. After getting @koilife sick, I decided that I would stick to private rooms for a while. But I was with a great group and didn't want to split from them. The answer -- paying a bit more in a private room in an albergue -- in Grandas, Berducedo, Fonsagrada, Ferreira, just to name the ones that come to mind, it was the perfect solution. In Lugo I went to a pension, and though we ate together and hung out together in the afternoon, it just wasn't the same.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There's much to like here @JohnnieWalker. Thank you for starting the thread, and to many others for your thoughtful replies.
As there were many hotels, pensions etc in towns and large villages, only one 'donativo' albergue would be established in bigger towns for pilgrims who could not afford to pay for hotels or pensions.
There is no way to exact a means test on pilgrims, but if you can afford these, perhaps you can help to take the pressure off the few donativo albergues that still survive by leaving them to those who cant afford the alternatives.
Private albergues are a wonderful hybrid form--with common spaces but often very comfortable private rooms in addition to the bunk rooms. And they take bookings, more often than not.
Ideally this could take the pressure off the donativos, municipals, and parroquials (sp?). At times I've encountered groups of pilgrims who were walking on a package tour in a municipal and it meant there was much less space for individual walkers. (I did wonder how much they paid and who got that cash...but that is another thread--or rather someplace we don't need to go...)

Many people don't like staying in albergues but they say that they felt as though they were 'cheating' by staying in a hotel of pension. There is no such thing!
Well, there is 'cheating,' but as you say @JohnnieWalker, it has nothing to do with accommodation! And that's between the cheat and his/her conscience not anyone else's business. The karma of that is bad enough.:confused:

When it is crowded and the albergues fill up by 1 or 2.....sometimes with people who taxied all or part of the way and get there first....or those who get up and start the bed race at 5 am....or transport their pack and can move more quickly....
and these people often fill the albergues before the tired, slogging, pack toting pilgrim shows up. Then...."they" look down on the people who couldn't get in???

I have stayed in more than my share of albergues and still do when it is not crowded and looks inviting. Otherwise, I use a pension/hotel and leave the bed for someone who can't afford the private room...and hope one of the other types don't get it first.

I have never thought that staying in albergues was an important part of a camino...just an economical part.

Just an opinion.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I like your post a lot, @greyland--and sure wish everyone had your attitude and outlook, rather than the 'me first' vision that fuels bed races and assisted early arrival at albergue doors. Thanks for modelling that sort of kind sharing--and hopefully it inspires others who witness it.

. . . who sneer at your scruffy clothes.

One of my greatest pleasures in life was walking into the Parador in Santiago, dressed like a hobo and all sweaty, with a fine coat of dirt covering my boots. After handing my passport to the front desk clerk, the hotel manager suddenly appeared--which is what happens when you book the Royal Suite for three nights. I will never forget the looks on the faces of the other guests in the lobby as one of the bellhops tossed my backpack on his back and the hotel manager led the way through a discrete door. The "Who the Hell was that?" moment was worth every penny.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One of my greatest pleasures in life was walking into the Parador in Santiago, dressed like a hobo and all sweaty, with a fine coat of dirt covering my boots. After handing my passport to the front desk clerk, the hotel manager suddenly appeared--which is what happens when you book the Royal Suite for three nights. I will never forget the looks on the faces of the other guests in the lobby as one of the bellhops tossed my backpack on his back and the hotel manager led the way through a discrete door. The "Who the Hell was that?" moment was worth every penny.

hahaha great story :D:cool:

Mmmm I was worrying about this last night . I AM intending to stay in hotels because :
I am not rich nor selfish but think I will cope better if I don't have to fret about being in the toilet or shower too long while others are waiting and being able to get a good nights sleep in quiet
I also don't mind paying to support the local economy who see lots of people walking past their door ..
I have a live and let live policy . What others do is their right to chose and by the same token what I chose is also my right and does NOT make me more or less of anything .
I also don't mind sharing a room if it has two single beds with someone who feels weary or misses a bed at the albergues.

Last night I worried I might feel isolated; might feel alienated ; might be lonely :cool: Overthinking ??? Moi :eek:???

I am travelling via Valcarlos staying overnight and worry about those first few days .... If I stay private in Valcarlos and see pilgrims having dinner I will worry about whether to join them for fear of ridicule and not being one of them ..... I feel that this may become one of my big lessons on Camino ... Not to worry what others think ...

Annie

I walked the Frances last year and stayed primarily at alburgues. I didn't think twice about where other people stayed. I walked and ate with many wonderful people who stayed in all type lodgings. Everyone's camino is different. Enjoy. Buen camino.

They'll be lucky to have you join them !
Relax, enjoy , you're going to have a great time, quite rightly, remember , other people are vicariously living your pilgrimage

Annie

When staying in hotels or pensions I miss the camaraderie of the albergues.

When staying in albergues, I miss the rich variety of the hosts in various Casa Rural which I visited. Usually happy to talk as well as give you space, and a connection with the country and the people which just doesn't happen in albergues.

It's truly a coin with 2 sides ... or 3 including the rim ..... or 8 on a UK 50p piece ;-)

True, you don’t have to stay in an albergue to be “a true pilgrim”. But, I have to say, I never really “got it” until I stayed in albergues. In albergues I have to stop thinking about me all the time; about this being “my camino”. It’s not my camino, it’s everyone else’s camino too. In albergues I have to be considerate to those around me: lie on my side, so I don’t snore; don’t put my backpack on a chair in case someone needs to sit on it (duhh!); thank those kind people I met later who left early but never woke me. The list is endless. I need to stay in albergues, otherwise I become too self-centred; and that’s not what it’s all about, at least, not for me. Private accommodations are my life-line: for when it all goes awry (we’re all human), and I need my own space to back-off, relax, take stock, re-adjust, take a deep breath, and try again. This camino thing is not easy! Jill

If a person needs to stay in albergues regardless of the fact that they are full and he or she could afford to stay at a hostal, hotel or private albergue one could suggest that it is about "my camino". The original purpose of the albergues is clear from what JohnnieWalker posted and I understand that people, including me from time to time, prefer to stay in them but there is logic in saying that the charitable thing for a person who can afford it to do is to stay in private lodgings when accommodation is limited.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I choose to stay in s all hotels, private Albergues, as I need some privacy; I have never been sneered at and often found that these bars are full of pelegrinos, because donativos don't have bars.

Pedant :) !!!
Depends on your perspective. All the software in all of your Apps are applications of rules and details. The people who write software help make the world of technology work and we all benefit. For example if your sat nav took you to within 200m of your destination, it may only be a small distance compared to the 200kms it guided you from your starting point, but irksome just the same. To some I may be pedantic and that is fine, but to me I am just observing what is and appreciating that small details can make a huge difference.

I stayed in mostly private places and never once felt any distance between myself and any other pilgrim. I usually ate pilgrim meals with others and we chatted about our day and other topics of interest to us at the time. It was the best of both worlds for me. There were plenty of pilgrims around in September and October when I wanted to be social and yet I had my alone time for R&R from the rigors of the day. I quite literally like my own space to spread out my few things in the evening and pack them up again in the morning. I like turning on lights when I choose to, rattle bags when I want something, and have no fear of disturbing others. No one I met in the 43 days that I walked gave me any indication that they harbored an attitude toward my choices.

Ehm, not sure how to break it to you @Tincatinker but you just changed gender ... Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

Hi SY, I should perhaps have made it clearer that I was posting suggested phrases for @Annie Little to try out on those little covens of pilgrims sitting down to their dinners. "I am a pilgrim, may I eat with you?"

And as my granny nearly said: "gender, schmender - if they're rich marry them."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
... And as my granny nearly said: "gender, schmender - if they're rich marry them."

And as my grandmother would have added - Especially if they don't have heirs, suffer from poor health and are 90+ years old ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I stayed in hotels, hostals, Paradors (Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Leon and Santiago were especially exciting to me because they had been built to be pilgrim hospitals and that appealed) casas rurales and on one occasion, a private hostel in which we had a private room. We had no choice on that occasion, there was no other accommodation. Everyone makes different choices and I guess those choices are driven by different things. It's all good. I booked everything in advance because I needed to know where I'd be sleeping. We didn't walk anything like as far in a day as many people are able to do but we put in what were, for us, tough days. Having to walk another three miles or so at the end of a tough day might well gave done me in, so I booked ahead. I truly believe that someone who lives in Santiago and goes to the Cathedral to visit the tomb in a reverent spirit and the goes home to sleep in his/her own bed has made a pilgrimage.has made a pilgrimage

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Good point Doug. Amongst the two Camino families I walked with on the CF last year, most (not all) were staying in private accommodation. At the end of the day we would usually gather for a meal together...regardless of where we were staying.

i guess its about trying to emulate the pilgrims of the beginning...in our own ways..sacrificing, minimalism , and simple lenten offerings to make us stronger and out of our comfort zones. i will wear my salomans and not leather sandals...but i did lay beside my fellow pilgrims in simple snore filled rooms...thats the feeling...the reality is your camino is yours no one elses.....buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
LOVE this post. Frankly never understood the essence of this thread as I have never heard this was an issue.

Frankly, for me, the albegue communal living is fantastic. I grew up in summe camps and boarding schools amd miss that sense of community now that I'm a proper grown up. And let's face it, I could not afford 3 weeks vacation at the cost of a real hotel.

But now, thanks to Jill I now have better vocabulary/reasons to express why I love albergue living.

The two times I stayed in a pensioon the Norte (to break up an etapa that was too long for me) I felt soooo lonely, amd was soooo bored. And the mattress was not any better ;0) And I have a fantastic mattress at home, if it trumped Camino life I would stay home.

This being said, I do not stay in donativos at times the Camino is busy, because I don't want to take a bed away from someone who might need it for less than the going rate. And when I do, I make sure I give what I would have laid elsewhere.

Will not foreget Tineo: tall, think, long legged man waltzes in a fairly empty donativo. Clearly Ivy League alumn type, Investment banker/McKensie type. Hospies had taken the € from the till before he arrived ... And found nothing else in the morning. Trust me, you would not want anyone speaking of you in the terms the hospies did of this young man.

I just completed the Frances and Finesterra via Muxia day before yesterday. I stayed 30% in alburgues and the rest in single or private rooms at Hotel/Hostal/Pension/Casa. I had set out with alburgue as the prime accommodation but was hard for me to adapt mainly due to difficulties sleeping (snoring and plastic noise at 4-5am) which made the next day a lot harder than necessary.

In addition, going to the toilet with 5 people queing up outside was new to me and most of the time, I ended up skipping the ritual. Eventually I avoided alburgues whenever possible and I began to enjoy the Camino better.

I didn't miss having people to talk to as there's ample opportunities during meal stops if needed. I walked by myself the entire time except the last few days when I met 3 other ladies who were all solo walkers and private roomers too. The only communal dinners I had was at Monjardin (I think after Puente La Reina) and at San Bol on the Meseta as the alburgues offered dinners. There were small groups of people and it was very nice indeed.

The only thing I did miss about the albuegue was the laundry facilities, be it the big sink, the ample drying areas or the washing machines.

I just completed the Frances and Finesterra via Muxia day before yesterday. I stayed 30% in alburgues and the rest in single or private rooms at Hotel/Hostal/Pension/Casa. I had set out with alburgue as the prime accommodation but was hard for me to adapt mainly due to difficulties sleeping (snoring and plastic noise at 4-5am) which made the next day a lot harder than necessary.

In addition, going to the toilet with 5 people queing up outside was new to me and most of the time, I ended up skipping the ritual. Eventually I avoided alburgues whenever possible and I began to enjoy the Camino better.

I didn't miss having people to talk to as there's ample opportunities during meal stops if needed. I walked by myself the entire time except the last few days when I met 3 other ladies who were all solo walkers and private roomers too. The only communal dinners I had was at Monjardin (I think after Puente La Reina) and at San Bol on the Meseta as the alburgues offered dinners. There were small groups of people and it was very nice indeed.

The only thing I did miss about the albuegue was the laundry facilities, be it the big sink, the ample drying areas or the washing machines.

Thanks for this !
Anne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
LOVE this post. Frankly never understood the essence of this thread as I have never heard this was an issue.

Will not foreget Tineo: tall, think, long legged man waltzes in a fairly empty donativo. Clearly Ivy League alumn type, Investment banker/McKensie type. Hospies had taken the € from the till before he arrived ... And found nothing else in the morning. Trust me, you would not want anyone speaking of you in the terms the hospies did of this young man.

I do not want to start a row ,on the contrary. First of all hospitaleros in a donativo in the true sense of the word ( well the ones I encountered anyway ) left the box closed till the pilgrims were out of sight and went to a private place to count the money.
Secondly I would not be 100 % sure how to detect a pilgrim being a " clearly" Ivy League or banker type. Until I talk to him and go beyond speaking about our professions / status or other wordly accessories but talk to him about our dreams, losses and life in general I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Do you all mostly walk with technology and research your lodgings a few days in advance? I only walked to Santo Domingo and had a few places written down on paper as recommended or avoid.

Now that you are talking about different types of albergues how do I know which type of albergue I am standing in front of? And what is the difference between them? I know every where I stayed had bunk beds other than the parador. And that wonderful place that had only two beds to a room and a door to shut - that was a nice surprise! We could still hear the man(?) snoring in the next room though. LOL!

I know I stayed in a donotivo at least once and the hospitalera was new and took the money from my hand and put it in the box. Do you all know you are at a donativo before enter? Now I am thinking I have missed something in my planning but really don't want to be connected to technology on the camino. I am bringing a tablet or phone (not connected just for wifi) so I don't have to search out a computer if there are any injuries that necessitate a change in plans.

When I start walking next week I plan to just have a piece of paper with a few places written down and at the end of the day we will see where we end up. This is what works best for me.

Both approaches (and anything in between) are perfectly fine. I just like to carry a guidebook to visualise the distances better and to get some input on not to miss sights of historic interest. I do have taken lately to carry one or two electronic devices with me and to connect to the internet.
In your case, why not carry a paper guidebook so that you get an idea what kind of albergue you are standing before? ;-)
Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Do you all mostly walk with technology and research your lodgings a few days in advance? I only walked to Santo Domingo and had a few places written down on paper as recommended or avoid.

Now that you are talking about different types of albergues how do I know which type of albergue I am standing in front of? And what is the difference between them? I know every where I stayed had bunk beds other than the parador. And that wonderful place that had only two beds to a room and a door to shut - that was a nice surprise! We could still hear the man(?) snoring in the next room though. LOL!

I know I stayed in a donotivo at least once and the hospitalera was new and took the money from my hand and put it in the box. Do you all know you are at a donativo before enter? Now I am thinking I have missed something in my planning but really don't want to be connected to technology on the camino. I am bringing a tablet or phone (not connected just for wifi) so I don't have to search out a computer if there are any injuries that necessitate a change in plans.

When I start walking next week I plan to just have a piece of paper with a few places written down and at the end of the day we will see where we end up. This is what works best for me.

For the Frances this small Michelin guide is a good source. List of albergues and a good idea about height and distance .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/2067148052/?tag=casaivar02-20

In my first pilgrimage I did not do any systematic research. I only carried a two pages list of distances and albergues (good to know when to stop when you are starting to feel tired, or weather is turning to bad) with icons indicating albergue availability.
Sometimes, when I used the albergues computers (this was before the wifi craze), I browsed the Gronze guide http://www.gronze.com/ (in Spanish, but not difficult to understand) to see albergues ubication and other details. Most of the time, I just decided on the spot; the first albergue I saw was my option. Other times, I was walking with an informal group, and we stayed in the same place.
As for maps, they are really not necessary in the Camino Frances. I just followed the yellow arrows and never got lost.
This is a forum for sharing info and experiences. It is natural that people ask about albergues, maps, guides. Sometimes, newbies are just apprehensive and what they really want is some cheering up and reassurance.
Planning can be also a lot of fun -although carried to an excess, it may be obviously counterproductive. There are not perfect pilgrimages, as there are not perfect lives.

In your case, why not carry a paper guidebook so that you get an idea what kind of albergue you are standing before? ;-)
Thanks for this. I was thinking there might have been something on the outside of the buildings that I wasn't reading.

We brought the Brierly guide last time but rarely looked at it other than to take an alternate route to Eunate (which we didn't read was closed on the day we were there but was still worth the detour) and again after a week and a half to see if we were "on track" with our timing and we were. My daughter pulled it out one time because she was dreading a certain hill on a bad knee day and was happy to discover we had just walked over it - I guess if we didn't have the guide she might have dreaded it all day.

The book is staying home this time and we are printing out the few pages with alternate routes and a list of distances between towns and the types of accomodations that are available and that should be more than enough. I know the pilgrims office in SJPP handed out elevation guides but for some reason we didn't receive one. The camino is my time to stay away from over planning and have more serendipitous moments. It worked with my daughter so now to see how it will work with my husband! I might regret it but there is only one way to find out.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In my first pilgrimage I did not do any systematic research. I only carried a two pages list of distances and albergues (good to know when to stop when you are starting to feel tired, or weather is turning to bad) with icons indicating albergue availability.
Sometimes, when I used the albergues computers (this was before the wifi craze), I browsed the Gronze guide http://www.gronze.com/ (in Spanish, but not difficult to understand) to see albergues ubication and other details. Most of the time, I just decided on the spot; the first albergue I saw was my option. Other times, I was walking with an informal group, and we stayed in the same place.
As for maps, they are really not necessary in the Camino Frances. I just followed the yellow arrows and never got lost.
This is a forum for sharing info and experiences. It is natural that people ask about albergues, maps, guides. Sometimes, newbies are just apprehensive and what they really want is some cheering up and reassurance.
Planning can be also a lot of fun -although carried to an excess, it may be obviously counterproductive. There are not perfect pilgrimages, as there are not perfect lives.

My style of camino travel as well!

I think the Gronze guide is where I printed some info from.

After my first Camino, the following times I were more knowledgeable and organized -they were not necessarily better walks, just different.
On the other side, a pilgrimage in (or near) winter, requires careful and detailed planning. Walking 3 kms more because an albergue is "completo" or closed is not a big deal in summer, but it is no fun (and could be even risky) with serious bad weather. Ditto for caminos less "domesticated" than the Frances, where albergues are few and scattered through long distances.

Our wise and experienced member Sillydol has posted this on Facebook. A true and sincere analysis :

In 1987 at a conference held by the AMIGOS (Friends of the Camino) in Jaca it was suggested that 'refugios' similar to those offered in the middle ages be established in remote villages and mountain areas of the Camino where there were few options for pilgrims to stay.
The minutes of this conference show that the refugios would not be for tourists in cars but for walking, cycling and horseback pilgrims only.
It was never intended that pilgrims should only stay in the sponsored refugios. This would be in conflict with the already struggling hospitality industry.
Somewhere, 30-odd years ago, an urban legend that pilgrims should only stay in albergues was started, and soon pressure developed on the donativo refugios.
Today there are many lovely private albergues, semi-albergues established in people's homes, and other great places to stay. There is no way to exact a means test on pilgrims, but if you can afford these, perhaps you can help to take the pressure off the few donativo albergues that still survive by leaving them to those who cant afford the alternatives.
PS: Many people don't like staying in albergues but they say that they felt as though they were 'cheating' by staying in a hotel of pension. There is no such thing!
Well in my case I've checked into a 5 star hotel in Pamplona for two nights called La Perla in order to recover from terrible heat today walking for 7 hours in 34'. Yes I had a wide brimmed hat yes I had enough water ....my OH took a swim in the stream on the way to cool down. We stayed in SJDPP for 10 euros but I'm afraid I needed fluffy white towels today and a room for just two, and a bath and bathroom products and laundry service... and and and, I'll continue on Friday but have decided to use a hotel every 5/6 days to top me up!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for this. I was thinking there might have been something on the outside of the buildings that I wasn't reading.

We brought the Brierly guide last time

@Terrri the Brierley guide does indicate what "type" each albergue is - in its accommodation listings for each stage, there are symbols and abbreviations which are explained at the front of the book. So you had the info with you last time, but if you're not planning to take the book this time you won't have that. As others have said, it's not usually possible to tell what sort of albergue you're looking at just by looking at it. But then as you say, if you're planning to stay away from planning this time, it doesn't really matter - the hospitaleros will tell you if there's a fixed price or if payment is by donation. The gronze website also indicates where an albergue is donativo if you're looking at that.

Do you all mostly walk with technology and research your lodgings a few days in advance?
Sure. I wear fabrics using technological advances that allow the designs to be light, warm and waterproof, a relatively lightweight modern pack using materials technologies not available a couple of decades ago in designs that wouldn't have been even contemplated when I was younger. I wear a cotton hat manufactured using modern production technologies. Oh, and I also carried an Android smartphone and used the browser for email, FB, this forum and other web browsing, including looking at accommodation options a day or so ahead.

5 euro for a bed in a dormitory vice 50 euros for a room in a run down hotel ...

That is quite the 'means' test.
We stayed almost exclusively in private rooms, some hotels, but never experienced a run down hotel on the Camino. Nor did we often have to pay as much as $50 a night. Even so, $25 each for a private room with bath - not bad.

Sure. I wear fabrics using technological advances that allow the designs to be light, warm and waterproof, a relatively lightweight modern pack using materials technologies not available a couple of decades ago in designs that wouldn't have been even contemplated when I was younger. I wear a cotton hat manufactured using modern production technologies. Oh, and I also carried an Android smartphone and used the browser for email, FB, this forum and other web browsing, including looking at accommodation options a day or so ahead.

LOL! Thanks Doug but, since we are talking about sleeping accomodations I don't think the technological items, other than those that can access the web, were the types that could provide info about rooms - unless you have some "special" technological fabric. As I asked earlier, I thought there might have been something posted outside the albergues that I just never noticed to indicate which type of albergues they were.

I guess I am not trusting enough to go by what a book states even though at the time mine was the newest edition. And I am too lazy to spend time reading all that small type.

Well in my case I've checked into a 5 star hotel in Pamplona for two nights called La Perla in order to recover from terrible heat

Good for you!

I took a quick look at your hotel but sadly it is beyond my budget. It is better to be "smart" and take your time rather than risk injury. I don't sweat but just go red in the face and scare the heck out of my husband. Since I have a tendency towards heat stroke I am a little concerned that the weather will not be cool enough for me next weekend. I am now yearning for the rain, wind and cold of May 2013 on the camino - even though we couldn't see a single thing walking over the Pyrenees.

..., I thought there might have been something posted outside the albergues that I just never noticed to indicate which type of albergues they were. ...

Actually there are, sometimes the borders between the different types are a bit blurry sometimes, here a short list:

albergue municipal - owned by the town/village
albergue parroquial - owned by the parish/church
albergue monastico - owned by the monastery
hospital de peregrinos - typically a donativo, but not always now

The above are normally low cost/donativo, the next ones normally charge a bit more:

albergue privado - privately owned
albergue turistico - privately owned that typically also accepts non-pilgrims

There are also these little plaques near/at the entrance that state the registration number of commercial albergues and have a certain number of stars (?), indicating the 'comfort level' and so indirectly also the price.

Hope that helps, Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Actually there are, sometimes the borders between the different types are a bit blurry sometimes, here a short list:

The above are normally low cost/donativo, the next ones normally charge a bit more:

There are also these little plaques near/at the entrance that state the registration number of commercial albergues and have a certain number of stars (?), indicating the 'comfort level' and so indirectly also the price.

The difficulty fur getting a room tonight was the Mediaeval Festival and so lots of people were attracted here in Pamplona on the 8th Sep . There is a street procession of giant puppets singing and dancing starting at 17.30 with a flower presentation at the Cathdral at 18.30 then more music in the centre at 20.00. We feel very lucky we arrived in time for this. The Camino has provided free entertainment!

Unless they are hand painted signs, as I have seen outside one private albergue. :):)

The (remaining) donativo albergues have its nuances, too. Sometimes the box is in a discreet place -so it is really anonymous. More usually, it is in the common room. And in one, I'd say extreme case, the box was right on the desk where pilgrims were registered, and you had to put your money under the watchful eyes of the hospitalero.
Anyway, I wonder how many donativo albergues survive. The money has to come from somewhere, and I doubt very much that donativos cover the expenses, especially in or near winter, where some heating is really needed.

Thanks for this info, this is what I have been missing (or never paid proper attention to). Also the info about stars indicating comfort level will be helpful.

The (remaining) donativo albergues have its nuances, too. Sometimes the box is in a discreet place -so it is really anonymous. More usually, it is in the common room. And in one, I'd say extreme case, the box was right on the desk where pilgrims were registered, and you had to put your money under the watchful eyes of the hospitalero.
Anyway, I wonder how many donativo albergues survive. The money has to come from somewhere, and I doubt very much that donativos cover the expenses, especially in or near winter, where some heating is really needed.

It is a uncomfortable situation when the donativo box is right under the watchful eye of the hospitalero/a . I experienced this once ( will not write the place ) and I had the strong idea I was giving too little ( although I always gave more than when staying in the most expensive private albergue).

Last edited:
It is a uncomfortable situation when the donativo box is right under the watchful eye of the hospitalero/a . I experienced this once ( will not write the place ) and I had the strong idea I was giving too little ( although I always gave more than when staying in the most expensive private albergue).

Yep, my feeling, too. I suppose that some albergues are still donativo either because the institutions that support them still adhere to an old ideal of charity to the pilgrims, or (I suppose) because demanding a fixed amount will put their albergues in other categories of the urban regulations and fiscal codes, with more requisites.
I have to mention, also, that in a couple of places managed by religious institutions in Baviera, the hospitaleros were kind of surprised when I asked them where I could put my donativo. I was sent to the general alms box. Long distance pilgrimage there is still a relatively new situation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
......and I had the strong idea I was giving too little ( although I always gave more than when staying in the most expensive private albergue).
You make me hang my head in shame. Only once did I try to stay at a donativo albergue, and I was rejected as I confessed to the hospitaleros that I had not carried my pack that day - which rejection was fair enough. However, had I been allowed to stay there, it was not my plan to donate more than a mere token. Thankfully, since then there have been threads on this forum on the real meaning of donativo and I have now learned the error of my ways / thinking. Next time I will know better. :)

You make me hang my head in shame. Only once did I try to stay at a donativo albergue, and I was rejected as I confessed to the hospitaleros that I had not carried my pack that day - which rejection was fair enough. However, had I been allowed to stay there, it was not my plan to donate more than a mere token. Thankfully, since then there have been threads on this forum on the real meaning of donativo and I have now learned the error of my ways / thinking. Next time I will know better. :)

In no way was it my intention to tell other posters here what their donation should be....Hope I did not give you the wrong idea? Like I said in another post : you cannot always tell from the looks/ attitude of a pilgrim if he has sufficient funds or not.

Last edited:
In no way was it my intention to tell other posters here what their donation should be....Hope I did not give you the wrong idea? Like I said in another post : you cannot tell always tell from the looks/ attitude of a pilgrim if he has sufficient funds or not.
In no way, SabineP, did I infer anything from your post, so please don't worry. I was merely commenting on how much my own attitude has changed since my Camino, thanks to this forum.

Incidentally, long before I left that little village, I made my peace with the hospitaleros and now I can laugh at the time I was 'rejected and ejected' from an albergue. Don't worry; I am at peace with you and the world. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We stayed only in private accomodations and were surprised at how often we ran into the same people, even in towns where there were a variety of hostels, casa rurals, inns, avaliable. We quickly formed a bit of a "private accomodation family" and looked forward to who among that handful we'd run into the next night.
Thanks for the post, JohnnyWalker. An eye-opener for many, I imagine. I remember when Sillydoll put it up about a year ago and was surprised and grateful to read it.
We ran into pilgrims who clearly looked down on us because we weren't doing the albergue thing. Fortunately, there were only a few. But they are definitely out there!

Wondering how you located and arranged the private accommodations. Hoping to find them along our way rather than needing to prearrange. Our sights are set for Mid September 2019 or 2020. We will be in no hurry. At 68ish, planning to slow down rather than hurry up.

€83,-
Wondering how you located and arranged the private accommodations. Hoping to find them along our way rather than needing to prearrange. Our sights are set for Mid September 2019 or 2020. We will be in no hurry. At 68ish, planning to slow down rather than hurry up.

Vicky & Steve, SYates is right, no need to be concerned just yet. But when the time comes ..... we relied mostly on gronze.com. We called the afternoon before, and in mid-October that was plenty of advance notice. We also looked at suggestions from a book called "Slackpacking on the Camino Francés" -- excellent reference for many aspects of the Camino. And, of course, the Brierley guide. I think a number of forum members have stayed in private accomodations with no advance booking. The site search function should turn up some interesting threads on. But in a nutshell, it was quite easy. Buen Camino!

That might make sense when albergues are crowded. However, ideally the albergue would have a mixture of pilgrims from various situations in life; it wouldn't be the "place where the poor people stay." The fact that it is often hard to tell who is rich/poor/professional/artist/married/single, etc. is one of the attractions of the pilgrimage. That's also why the donation box is meant to be anonymous.

Albergues just offer that 'common hang out' space which I love ;-)

Great thread, JohnnieWalker!
I walked the CF with a friend last summer and we stayed in nearly every option of lodging possible, including a couple nights tenting and a couple nights in the Parador in Santiago (unfortunately, not the Royal suite). But the absolute best experiences were in albergues that had common areas and communal meals. When we shrug off all our inhibitions and preconceptions and get down to our commonalities as pilgrims/trekkers/walkers of the Camino, life is simple, yet grand.
Next month I will start the VDLP in Seville, solo. From what I have learned from this thread, especially the ladies I've quoted, I plan on staying in albergues most nights, opting for a bit of privacy and space when I feel the need.

Cheers all.

Agreeing with Felipe here, I stay in albergues alone for the community spirit. You won't get that in a parador or a casa rural.

Very well said.
I have felt a certain sense of superiority by those staying in albergues. At the same time there are comments about overcrowding.

Juanajoanna
My wife and I stayed in several Albergues along the path but quickly realized that there were other options that were nearly the same price for pilgrims walking in 2's or even groups up to 4. We could get a bed in an Albergue for about $10 a night (varies by location) or we could get a private room for 2 people for about $25 per night.

The choice was pretty simple for us, the private rooms (some with a private bath too!!!), very quickly became our favorite option.

In big cities like Pamplona, Burgos, Astorga and Leon we chose real hotel accommodations with air conditioning in the rooms (we walked in June/July this year and average temps were about 90(F) daily).

Stay where you want. If your budget allows it go to a small hostel or hotel or similar.

After reading all the posts, thought I would add my two cents in as well. I did the Camino and stayed in private accomodations (some pensions, some nice hotels, some auberges that had private rooms). I snore (and loudly) and I'm 6'4" so the thought of hanging over a bed and keeping others awake just didn't sit right. The key no matter where you stay, in my view, is to talk. If you're staying at a hotel and having dinner there or outside talk to the person/family next to you. They will talk back. In many/most of the private rooms that I stayed in there was a communal dinner where the real conversations occurred and friendships were born. It isn't a case of where you sleep that matters. It is a case of what attitude you show to others on the walk, how open you are to others ideas, how humbly you state your own, and how you keep your feet happy that makes or breaks an individuals Camino.

There is no way to exact a means test on pilgrims
... just the thought that the idea of such a test would be a good on makes me sad...:( I love the Camino partly because there is no way to know who's "rich" or "poor" and because actually, it doesn't even matter: we meet every single person as another worthy fellow human being :)

If you can afford these, perhaps you can help to take the pressure off the few donativo albergues that still survive by leaving them to those who cant afford the alternatives.
Shouldn't people stay where they feel they should stay? Should money decide for people what they can or can't do (if you have the means to stay in Paradores, should it mean you have to stay in Paradores only?)
Those who can't afford more than a donativo should either consider not to go or accept and prepare to sleep outside (said by someone who lived the situation and slept outside without anger nor feeling I had been wronged when donativos where full)

Many people don't like staying in albergues but they say that they felt as though they were 'cheating' by staying in a hotel of pension. There is no such thing!
No, there isn't :) I wonder, are some people ashamed to have money and to spend it? Or to be tagged as "rich"?

The reality is your camino is yours no one elses
I agree, but still: what each individual does impacts the bigger picture. For instance...
I also don't mind paying
When it's 1 person+1+1+1+1+...+1 who thinks this way, it leads to a big change in the Camino. Prices went sky-high on the CFrances since "The Way" movie came out and attracted much more Northern-Americans.
Or, many people complain the Way becomes more and more touristy and loses its spirit, which is because of what 1 pilgrim+1+1+...+1 expect of it.
It's like we all unite in 1 big pilgrim, to whom the Camino reacts...
Not saying what people should do, just thinking from a larger perspective

Clearly Ivy League alumn type, Investment banker/McKensie type.
o_OHow do you know???
Secondly I would not be 100 % sure how to detect a pilgrim being a " clearly" Ivy League or banker type. Until I talk to him and go beyond speaking about our professions / status or other wordly accessories but talk to him about our dreams, losses and life in general I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
+1 (+1+1+1+1+1+1 ;))

Planning can be also a lot of fun -although carried to an excess, it may be obviously counterproductive.
Agreed! Especially if the excess it not to prepare and go on a less than scarcely frequented Camino :confused: Led me to stop before I even started to go online (ante-Wifi era) and check which way the Camino was going... (If you ever go the Mozarabe route than goes through Granada, be warned!)

As for me, I believe being a pilgrim is not a matter of having or doing, but a matter of being. I also think being alone and quiet is a state of mind. One can be alone in a crowd of friends and have a still mind in a storm.
I slept in all kind of accommodations, from out under the stars to hotels (just not done a Parador yet!): I was ok with all of it and never felt I was missing out the Spirit of the Way.
I personally prefer sleeping outside and it's always a 2000 stars hotel. I wonder... does it make me snooty, or what??? :cool:

full

It was never intended that pilgrims should only stay in the sponsored refugios. This would be in conflict with the already struggling hospitaltity industry.

Perhaps this thread, obliquely, raises the question of how a peregrino structures their days (and nights) of travel. I felt some concern, whilst on the Norte, that I was spending 50% or so of the time in pensions and suchlike, because I would often arrive at my chosen stopover town more than 3 hours before the albergue was due to open. It did bother me, but wherever you sleep or however you roam, it's a kind of a pilgrimage.

One point I have yet to see in this thread. Many of the authentic Spanish restaurants have remarkably late hours. To me part of the pilgrimage is sampling local food. I recall a wonderful meal in a restaurant in Logrono where we sat next to a well to do lawyer who was also on the trail. He told us how well he was sleeping in the albergues, but found the early closings made it hard to eat out. Indeed, his meal arrived just minutes before his accommodation was closing. He gulped some down, gathered up the rest and ran.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On our three Camino's my wife and I chose a mix between Albergue's, Pensions and hotels.
Often at the Albergue's they had a privilege room option, so we still had the communal aspect of eating and talking with other pilgrims, but the benefit of actually getting a good night's sleep.
My wife and I are super early risers. We are walking by 6:30 AM at the latest each day, keep in mind this has been April each time, so it is pitch dark and we have our head lamps on.
Out of respect for our fellow pilgrims, we don't want to be crashing around in the dark waking everyone else up.
We love our early mornings and certainly some of the most memorable experiences and pictures we have taken have been as the sun rises.
The only wrong way to do a Camino is when your behaviour impacts the experience of others.
There are always 'the experts' regardless of what you are doing that believe the way they do things is the only way.

One point I have yet to see in this thread. Many of the authentic Spanish restaurants have remarkably late hours. To me part of the pilgrimage is sampling local food...
In a different thread I brought this up too!

I'm amazed pilgrims eat the horrid "Pilgrims Meals" night after night after night.

Go eat with the Spaniards in their cafes, bars and restaurants! We ate breakfast and lunch with pilgrims, shared stories and made friends along the route but we ate dinner with Spaniards most nights along the Camino Frances and some of our best memories were at those meals.

Have been treated very well in The Paradors , especially in Santo Domingo where our clothes stunk , and we were very , very wet .
We felt humble when a tourist / business couple suggested " We can wait until these pilgrims are attended to"
We thanked them and after booking completed and with our bags being carried to the elevator we were wished not only Buen Camino but Bon Courage by the same couple.
One would think Heidi these people had obviously in a previous year done their camino , or as my wife said to me ALL the Spanish know about the Camino through oneself, family or friends.
The staff in the bar gave us without asking ........and believe this ..... hot lemon juice when i asked for a nip of rum to warm me up.
We were given free passes to the attractions of Santo Domingo with these words " If you don't wish to use your friends can".
My wife walked from the front bar to a couple of young Swedish girls standing outside the museum and handed them the passes.

I think as Doug said earlier .......we all end up eating or drinking together regardless where we stay.

Our first albergue was in the hall in Valcarlos in 2008 . The mountain pass was closed , we were drenched [ we always get a few wet days ] and had to use a cord in the albergue as a clothes line.
We have become very good sleepers :) after climbing the social scale in accommodation.
25% albergues for us now, normally with private rooms .....thank God for MMDD.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

You know where the one in Miraz is Felipe ?
Gave a good donation and got a good bed next to window .

Agreeing with Felipe here, I stay in albergues alone for the community spirit. You won't get that in a parador or a casa rural.

Disagree completely:confused:.

Are the gites in France albergues or Casa Rural's ?????????????
Are the communal meals in the above less than those in albergues ???????????

I did the same, couldn't quite manage the Royal Suite though

Annie

Enjoy the Casa Rural in Valcarlos Annie its lovely.
If raining stay on road until last turn off where there is a water fountain.
They will have a detailed map. printed.
Take it easy for the first 4 days to Pamplona and have a wonderful holiday.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
I did the same, couldn't quite manage the Royal Suite though

Got to Santiago from Madrid in 2012 and had not booked.
Told the receptionist that and was given a price .......ok said HRH
Once she ran our passport into the computer her boss said Mr so and so will be staying for 2 nights and the price remained the same.
Later on i asked him why and he said thank you for stopping in Santo Domingo and last year in one pilgrims never use.
We were on the Norte the previous year and stopped in Vilalba where he once worked.
They are a good mob.

Last edited:
Disagree completely:confused:.

Are the gites in France albergues or Casa Rural's ?????????????
Are the communal meals in the above less than those in albergues ???????????

My comment related to those albergues in Spain, not in France.
We will agree to disgree so :)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nope. I am looking forward to walking the Camino del Norte...someday. Thanks for the reference.

At Miraz the donative box is on the front desk , one foot from where you are signing in :)

Last edited:
I like the fact that there are private albergues you can book ahead and that are not much more expensive than municipal or parrochial albergues.
We did just that this Summer for a peregrina who was limping and arriving very late in the afternoon... At least we knew there was a bed for her and no stress. :confused:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I enjoyed reading many of the posts. It really demonstrates the diversity of people who choose to walk the camino. I am choosing to stay in a variety of hotels and guest houses. I get the feeling that there is a "race" to get to the next nights accommodations. I would rather be able to take the time to walk slower, taking my time to see and enjoy things I have never seen before and I will never see again. Having time to contemplate my life and surroundings. I fortunently am in a position to be able to support the small businesses that are vital to keeping the camino going and am glad to give back to their community in a small way.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back