• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your advice on my itinerary for Camino Frances Sep 2022

Antananarivo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (Sep-Oct 2022)
Greetings from Australia!

I am hoping to do my first Camino in September this year. After doing some reading here and watching several YouTube videos I came up with the below itinerary. For those experts out there, can I please get you advice on the attached plan?

I do 4 hours of bushwalking every week and I feel confident that the first day I can walk to Roncesvalles on the first day.

In Sarria my 81 year-old-mother, who lives in Spain, will join me to do the last part of the Camino. She is in good physical health and walks 4km every day. You can see that for the last part I left 5 days, but probably I should take it easy with her and do it in 6 or 7 days?

I know my mother would prefer a private room. Considering we are travelling in September, should I book in advance for the accommodation between Sarria and Santiago?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• Camino de Santiago Sep 2022.pdf
    86.5 KB · Views: 273
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would probably eliminate some of those rest days in order to give yourself more time at the end to walk shorter stages with your mother.

Instead of full rest days I prefer to do two short days in a row, especially on either side of a larger city that has more sightseeing opportunities. When I do this I book a private room so that I can arrive in town early - usually before noon, and drop off my backpack so that I can explore the city unencumbered. I can also stay out later in the evening since I don't have the constraints of sleeping in an albergue (especially important in Logroño so that you can enjoy all the wonderful tapas bars on Calle del Laurel). Sleep a little later in the morning the next day, enjoy a relaxed breakfast, then walk another short stage.
I definitely wouldn't take a rest day in Calzadilla de las Cuezas. Maybe in Carrión de los Condes which is a bigger town.

Hopefully "Bushwalking" will prepare you for that first day. Does it encompass hills? Are they steep?

The first day, assuming you are walking all the way to Roncevalles from St. Jean, is pretty tough. Very steep uphill with a very steep downhill at the end.

If your "Bushwalking" does not mimic that to some degree, I suggest spending some time on a stairmaster. it will go a long way to conditioning your legs and maximus gluteus muscles as well as your cardio-vascular system.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can also stay out later in the evening since I don't have the constraints of sleeping in an albergue (especially important in Logroño so that you can enjoy all the wonderful tapas bars on Calle del Laurel). Sleep a little later in the morning the next day, enjoy a relaxed breakfast, then walk another short stage.
Great advice!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rabanal to Ponferrada will be a significant challenge at 33 km. The descent from Cruz de Ferro is an epic piece of trail. Even the stage finishing at Molinaseca is a tough day. Just because it's down hill doesn't make it easy!

Rabanal to Ponferrada will be a significant challenge at 33 km. The descent from Cruz de Ferro is an epic piece of trail. Even the stage finishing at Molinaseca is a tough day. Just because it's down hill doesn't make it easy!
So, do you recommend this day do it in two parts? perhaps sleep in the middle town of Riego de Ambros? Muchas gracias!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Actually, I should have suggested that you book up through Pamplona. September is busy!
Great!. I think I need to start reviewing past posts on what others recommend for accommodation. Do you have any advice for Pamplona?

So, do you recommend this day do it in two parts? perhaps sleep in the middle town of Riego de Ambros? Muchas gracias!
I have stayed in Acebo before, nice little town. What I really recommend is playing it by ear. Book your first five days, and see how you feel. Blisters, weather, and friends can slow you down. Maybe you are made of iron, and can comfortably do 30 km days. As has been suggested, I find short days better than a full day off. A little less planning, and a little more "let it unfold" makes sense when you don't really know what your natural daily distance will be. Everyone is different.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great!. I think I need to start reviewing past posts on what others recommend for accommodation. Do you have any advice for Pamplona?
This recent thread should be helpful.

What I really recommend is playing it by ear. Book your first five days, and see how you feel. Blisters, weather, and friends can slow you down. Maybe you are made of iron, and can comfortably do 30 km days. As has been suggested, I find short days better than a full day off. A little less planning, and a little more "let it unfold" makes sense when you don't really know what your natural daily distance will be.
I agree. Make a plan and be prepared to throw it out. You have given yourself plenty of time to complete the Camino - you shouldn't have any problems.

I find short days better than a full day off. A little less planning, and a little more "let it unfold" makes sense when you don't really know what your natural daily distance will be. Everyone is different.
I agree. Because my mother and sister live in Tenerife I'm trying to get a sense on when will I be landing in Sarria so they can better plan. Of course I will be in touch with them regularly to see when is the time to meet. Gracias.

@Tracile, makes points worth considering for you.

If I may, I would like to offer that starting from Pamplona is just as practical, if not easier as from StJPdP for many people, although it’s understandable why you chose to start from StJPdP.

Buen (happy start) Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We divide this section. Usually we walk Rabanal to El Acebo about 16-18km, and then the follow day,we continue steep downhill to Molineseca and then adding additional 7km to Ponferrada to it. One must not just look at the distance but the terrain…and what distances will allow one to walk continually. El Acebo is a small town with accommodations. Skip Riego de Ambros not much there!!

@Antananarivo welcome to the forum, from a fellow Australian. I agree with those who suggest you put in extra time for your mother to walk the last stage from Sarria. It is no walk in the park. It is not mountainous but continually up and down.

I can't guess at what things will be like in September, but I've never found it necessary to plan every stage, beyond getting a general idea of how long it will take me. Certainly it is more comfortable to have the first couple of nights booked, but that for me is more about my state of mind after a long plane trip.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would probably eliminate some of those rest days in order to give yourself more time at the end to walk shorter stages with your mother.
Just one more question.

In relation to those cities to spend an extra day or two, which of the following five cities would you remove from the itinerary? Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, León or Astorga?

Following your advice, I certainly need more days to spend with my mother in case her Camino from Sarria to Santiago take us 7 or 8 days.
Thanks again!

I am hoping to do my first Camino in September this year. After doing some reading here and watching several YouTube videos I came up with the below itinerary. For those experts out there, can I please get you advice on the attached plan?

I do 4 hours of bushwalking every week and I feel confident that the first day I can walk to Roncesvalles on the first day.

In Sarria my 81 year-old-mother, who lives in Spain, will join me to do the last part of the Camino. She is in good physical health and walks 4km every day. You can see that for the last part I left 5 days, but probably I should take it easy with her and do it in 6 or 7 days?

I know my mother would prefer a private room. Considering we are travelling in September, should I book in advance for the accommodation between Sarria and Santiago?

Many thanks!
Having looked at your list, my 2 cents :
I wouldnt have a rest day in Logrono or Calzadilla de la Cueza.
On the day in Sarria I would taxi to Lugo and back - to walk around the old city walls. Its a short taxi ride.
Keep rest days in Burgos and Leon - heaps to see in those, and the cathedral in Leon is amazing.
Both have outdoor shops if you need to buy anything.
Astorga is a tourist town as well as a pilgrim town, I found it pays to book there or you can end up far from the city. Astorga is really nice, but you can probably see all you want in an afternoon/evening depending on when you arrive there.
I would walk shorter days on your last 100km days with your mother.
Does she want a Compostela, or would she taxi if the stages are too long?

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
would shorten your last 100km days with your mother.

If you need to shorten the trip, skip a couple of stages when you are by yourself. Take the bus.

We shorten some of the stages and then add a rest day. (Sister is 81)
In September private accommodations should be booked in advance. It is high season and a holy year! Also if it is very hot you may need to shorten the days and leave early. Do leave extra days with your mom.
Reservations at the stage towns in private rooms are a must in September!

I would shorten your last 100km days with your mother.
Thanks for your comment.
Yes, she would like the Compostela. Instead of six days, I have found this other option with 8 days for those last 100 Km - what do you think?:

SarriaMorgade13 Kms
MorgadePortomarin9 Kms
PortomarinVentas de Naron13 Kms
Ventas de NaronPalas De Rei12 Kms
Palas De ReiMelide15 Kms
MelideArzúa14 Kms
ArzúaO’Pedrouzo19 Kms
O’PedrouzoSantiago de Compostela19 Kms

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I like the idea that you begin by breaking up the first days. Your mom will be experiencing jet lag? Does she have time in Sarria to recover?

Last edited:
I like the dea that you begin bybreaking up the first days. Your mom will be experiencing jet lag? Does she have time in Sarria to recover?
She lives in Tenerife. She will probably arrive two days before me with my sister who will now be joining us. I´ll be in constant communication with them to give them an idea on when to arrive in Sarria.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I walked the Camino Frances in 2019, whilst "old", I was fairly fit - I walked SJPDP to Ronsevalles without any trouble in just over 6 hours. However, it took me nearly 10 hours, including refreshment breaks to walk from Rabanal to Ponferrada. The comment in my journal that day was "Having entered Ponferrada there was a long walk through the town to eventually find my accommodation at 4.20 p.m. A very long and tiring day, too far really all the way from Rabanal, even stopping earlier at Molinaseca would have been a challenge."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Instead of full rest days I prefer to do two short days in a row, especially on either side of a larger city that has more sightseeing opportunities. When I do this I book a private room so that I can arrive in town early - usually before noon, and drop off my backpack so that I can explore the city unencumbered. I can also stay out later in the evening since I don't have the constraints of sleeping in an albergue (especially important in Logroño so that you can enjoy all the wonderful tapas bars on Calle del Laurel). Sleep a little later in the morning the next day, enjoy a relaxed breakfast, then walk another short stage.
I definitely wouldn't take a rest day in Calzadilla de las Cuezas. Maybe in Carrión de los Condes which is a bigger town.
I did SJPP to Santiago Sep1-Oct1, 2021. I agree with these comments, and would add:
-I really like your choices for overnight locations.
-I think the extra days in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, and Astroga are a brilliant idea.
-Spend the night in Castrojerez/don't push on to Itero de la Vega (I wish I had; the churches, the castle, the services, town & restaurants were all great).
-I would skip the rest day in Calzadilla de la Cueva. Instead, I would use that day to take the train from Sarria to Lugo, spend the night there, and then return to Sarria the next morning.
-I wish I had overnighted in Astorga, so I like that idea.
-On Days 32&33, I would stop and overnight in Molinaseca, and then have a short day and spend the night in Ponferrada. Both towns are worth the time. I can't advise on Las Médulas.
-On Day 37, Triacastela to Sarria, I hope you're planning to go via Samos.
-If your mother gets footsore or worn out, I think it is easy to have a bar or restaurant call a taxi in every way-town the last 100km, to shorten that days' walk.
Buen Camino!

A couple thoughts:
1. Think hard about the first day -- as others have said, it's a long haul with a difficult downhill at the end. It's probably the hardest day of the entire Camino. If you hurt yourself on day one, the next week will be no fun.
2. The long day you planned up and down to-from Cruz de Ferro will be a killer. The downhill is difficult. You will be exhausted by the time you get to Molinseca.
3. Your day from Villafranca to O'Ceb is long and all up hill with the steepest part at the end. Of course, you'll be very fit at this point, so it might be doable -- but it's a tough slog.
4. I think you will be pushing you mother too hard. Walking 4 km a day is different from doing 20+ five days in a row. I'm 75 and can easily do 4km a day, but that's insufficient training for walking 20 k days one after another. It might be better to do it in 7-8 days with the first few days short ones. Morgade is a nice stop.

Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My suggestion is to have fun with the itinerary and then throw it away and just walk. Get your rhythm. Feel your body and its needs. Walk when it tells you to walk and stop when it tells you to stop. Don't push things. You will have no idea when you need to rest and when you want to keep walking and how many days in a row you need to walk. A week or two in a small town may be more appealing to you to rest than a bigger city. Who knows. Just let the camino unfold and throw out any expectations or wants you think you may have now. The only thing I can guarantee is what you think and want today will be completely different on your pilgrimage. Buen Camino

. Think hard about the first day -- as others have said, it's a long haul with a difficult downhill at the end
There doesn't have to be a difficult downhill at the end. Take the easier route to the right when you reach Collado de Lepoeder, which takes you to Puerto de Ibañeta as shown by the dotted line on the map below. It adds just 0.4 km and is much safer.

20220224_065146.jpg

There doesn't have to be a difficult downhill at the end. Take the easier route to the right when you reach Collado de Lepoeder, which takes you to Puerto de Ibañeta as shown by the dotted line on the map below. It adds just 0.4 km and is much safer.
Excelente, muchas gracias!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

View attachment 119235
My first camino I walked down the traditional way. It was late September and there were wet leaves everywhere, I was tired and it was really steep. It felt like it went forever. When we got to the split there were 6 or 7 of us deciding which way to go. A young woman and I decided to follow the route and not take the variant. Her boyfriend and the others went the way you suggested. It may have been longer but they were waiting for us when we came out of the forest and they were by far more worse for wear from that last stretch. I also did it the second time not because I wanted to but because I missed the turnoff. But it was alot easier as I had already walked from Le Puy so St. Jean to Roncesvalles was a piece of cake.

Thanks for your comment.
Yes, she would like the Compostela. Instead of six days, I have found this other option with 8 days for those last 100 Km - what do you think?:

SarriaMorgade13 Kms
MorgadePortomarin9 Kms
Palas De ReiMelide15 Kms
MelideArzúa14 Kms
ArzúaO’Pedrouzo19 Kms
I would try and shorten the last day (maybe start at Lavacolla) so your mother isn't too tired to enjoy Santiago after arriving.

I would add that if you are willing to skip some sections, then you could consider bus or taxi through the sections in and out of cities (Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada come to mind). I agree that Rabanal to Ponferrada and Villafranca to Ocebreiro will be two of your harder stages. On my first Camino I walked those stages. But not on my second and third! :).
When you are making reservations on the Camino it is possible to call and reserve by leaving your name only. You don’t have to give payment information like a credit card number. This gives you flexibility to cancel if your plans change. (of course, please call to cancel) Your plans will, and should, change. It’s part of the journey and adventure. With Booking.com you can get free cancellation, but at best, you usually have to cancel one day before. For sure Booking.com is so convenient and I use it at times, but only if I am sure of where I will end the day.
One lesson I took away from my first Camino was not to spend so much time on choosing an albergue or hotel. Sure, there are some places that are pilgrim favorites, and I try to stay at those if convenient. But, I have stayed in enough accommodations on several different Caminos to say that every place will be good. And the places I didn’t like as much I often had some meaningful experience or interaction with other pilgrims. The best albergue/hotel is the one you are staying in!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would add that if you are willing to skip some sections, then you could consider bus or taxi through the sections in and out of cities (Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada come to mind).
@Antananarivo has 43 days budgeted to walk the Camino. With that much time available I don't think that it will be necessary to skip any parts of the Camino.

With Booking.com you can get free cancellation, but at best, you usually have to cancel one day before. For sure Booking.com is so convenient and I use it at times, but only if I am sure of where I will end the day.
I agree about using booking.com, but there is the issue that they will deduct a percentage from the albergue/hostel, leaving them with less money. I therefore usually call the intended place and book directly. Of course that will likely require some basic language skills, but you should try to learn a few phrases, anyway: It will help you a lot. Words like right, left, straight on, name of weekdays, basic counting, and booking sentences come to my mind.

However, most days I do not book anything at all, but it may be different this year, being a holy year... I'll judge when I am "on the ground" a good month from now.
@Antananarivo has 43 days budgeted to walk the Camino. With that much time available I don't think that it will be necessary to skip any parts of the Camino.

Don't skip anything: All parts are equally worthwhile. You will regret skipping some parts, IMHO...

Last edited:
Hey Australian,
I would cut some rest days. In addition, you will certainly sometimes go further than your planned daily stages. For that I would go from Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia. You need 4 days for this. Believe me it's worth it!
Greetings from Germany

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Many thanks!
If this is what you like and want then it is fantastic. In saying that we had figured out all of our stays and rests covering the 35 days we intended to be feet down. Reality was we stayed in 4 of them and would not change a thing. Let your feet and feelings be your guide

Many thanks!
I am 82 and in really good physical shape but I would not want to walk from Sarria to Santiago in your time frame. I would add a couple more days to that part... but that is just my opinion. I love the rest of your itinerary.

Your itinerary for yourself seems fine. It’s reasonable for a relatively young person in decent condition. My hesitation is for your mom. I’m a lifelong hiker and belong to a hiking group in the Pacific NW USA. Our group has a lot of strong hikers, but we’re getting older. We have people in their 80’s, and I’m familiar with the trajectory of aging. Most 80 year old women could not make the schedule you outline. Does your mom walk 4 k every day? Cumulative fatigue is real. Besides endurance, aging presents issues such as joint pain, hips, bottoms of feet, back, and shoulder pain with day after day walking. Your mom should at least walk 10 k days back to back (2 or 3 consecutive days) before the Camino and see how she does. I suggest adding a rest day in the middle of your time with her, or a couple very short (max 5k) days. Don’t want her to be disappointed if she can’t achieve the certificate. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So true. The descent into Monlinaseca is a real challenge!

Thanks for your comment.

SarriaMorgade13 Kms
MorgadePortomarin9 Kms
Palas De ReiMelide15 Kms
MelideArzúa14 Kms
ArzúaO’Pedrouzo19 Kms
I cant recall the accommodation in Morgade or Ventas de Naron. At the 13 km mark there is quite nice new albergue in Ferreiros (a very small place). The others are all fine for accommodation.
The last day into Santiago has a lot of road/concrete, will your mother be fine with that?
The little Michelin book is great for planning as you can easily see the grade, distance and facilities at a glance.

I recall someone earlier in the thread suggested the Samos route to Sarria - I can also recommend that, much nicer. Turn left instead of right at the bottom of Triacastela.

Calzadilla de la Cueza-Others may have said this, but there is not much to see in this town. Move on to Sahagun for a rest day if you must...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greetings all the way to Australia!!

I walked from St Jean to Burgos last September and my humble suggestion would be to divide the first day to Roncesvalles into 2 days. My plan is to go back in August/Sept this year and there is no way I am hitting my body with that 18 km climb from St Jean again in the one go!! I have suggested to myself to stop in Orrisson, be a little bit kinder to myself on the start.
Liam

I cant recall the accommodation in Morgade or Ventas de Naron.
While very easy to miss, there is a very nice Casa Rural at Morgade and two albergues in Ventas. Casa Morgade is right on the Camino - nice rooms and great dinner (table cloths even)😀

@Antananarivo and if you don't use all those days, time in Santiago is never wasted! Drop into Pilgrim House, visit the cathedral museum, do the tour of the roof, lots of other wonderful churches and buildings to see, visit the traditional market, the shops in the old town, enjoy tapas...

I met a remarkable 80++ year old who walked every year from Sarria, a maximum of 14km each day. The year I met her she had her grandson with her, and he was carrying her pack. She was quite religious and sometimes would catch the bus into Santiago de Compostela and back, so she could attend mass in the cathedral. She also had a list of favourite accommodation providers; all people who knew her and expected her about the same time each year.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
-If your mother gets footsore or worn out, I think it is easy to have a bar or restaurant call a taxi in every way-town the last 100km, to shorten that days' walk.
Wow!. What would I do without the support of this community. I didn't think about that. Fantastic advice. Muchas gracias!

€83,-
Yes, @Antananarivo - taxis everywhere, and once you get to Palas de Rei there are buses running parallel to the route, all the way to SDC.

I would try and shorten the last day (maybe start at Lavacolla) so your mother isn't too tired to enjoy Santiago after arriving.
Another fantastic advice!. Taking note of this. Muchísimas gracias!.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Of course that will likely require some basic language skills, but you should try to learn a few phrases, anyway: It will help you a lot. Words like right, left, straight on, name of weekdays, basic counting, and booking sentences come to my mind.
Although I live in Australia, my first language is Spanish. Whenever possible I will contact the albergue directly. Thanks for all the advice!

Many thanks!

I am not really a fan of booking ahead. But due to my experience from last year, I would book the entire Galician part as well as the part from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Pamlona ahead.

I am not really a fan of booking ahead. But due to my experience from last year, I would book the entire Galician part as well as the part from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Pamlona ahead.
Since I never know exactly when I'll be in Galicia I would book those days when I'm closer. @Antananarivo will probably want to have the Galician part booked ahead because of the mother and sister, but I think can wait until they are a week or so from Galicia to make those reservations. It shouldn't be so busy in October since the summer crowds who fill up this part of the Camino will be gone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you so much. For my mother I have added two more days for the last stage. Eight days instead of six. I have also left 3 additional days at the end in case she needs more time.
Good choice.

The challenge now becomes the conflict between keeping your walking schedule flexible to permit your mom to walk at a pace she can manage and securing accommodation each night. As I'm sure you know, the last 100 km are often crowded with pilgrims and accommodation can be scarce in some places. This leads some people to book ahead for the Sarria to SdC stages, which I believe is wise when walking with older people (or children, as I did). You don't want to walk into a town at the end of the day and find you need to walk on another 5 km to find a bed.

Probably the best approach would be to book accommodation now using your revised schedule and then, as necessary, adjust your planned stops (and bookings) as your progress each day dictates. This may require you to cancel bookings you can no longer keep and make new ones on the fly, but it's probably better than pitching up somewhere and running around looking for beds with your mom in tow.

When I walked with my grandkids (the youngest was then eight) there were times when.... well, let's just say it was challenging. But now, years later, we all look back on it as one of the grandest experiences we ever had as a family.

I pray it is the same for you and your mom.

Buen Camino.

Probably the best approach would be to book accommodation now using your revised schedule and then, as necessary, adjust your planned stops (and bookings) as your progress each day dictates. This may require you to cancel bookings you can no longer keep and make new ones on the fly, but it's probably better than pitching up somewhere and running around looking for beds with your mom in tow.
Good advice.

Had some medical issues in 2015, so shortly after Leon, took a bus to Sarria and then spent 9 days walking to Santiago. This was a pleasant way to walk that 110 km. Your 81-year-old mom may appreciate slowing down even more. You have her walking two, 19km days in a row! Realize, once you get to Santiago, you still have a long way to walk until you get to the Cathedral. Consider staying in Lavacolla the day before.
Stayed in both Morgade and in Ventosa. Both places were lovely, with great hosts, decent beds, and good food.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
took a bus to Sarria and then spent 9 days walking to Santiago.
Thank you Jodean - @gns also suggested to sleep in Lavacolla. After reading all the kind advice provided here, I have now extended from 8 to 9 days my mother's camino. This is how it looks now:
SarriaMorgade13 Kms
MorgadePortomarin9 Kms
Palas De ReiMelide15 Kms
MelideArzúa14 Kms
ArzúaO’Pedrouzo19 Kms
O’PedrouzoLavacolla9 Kms
LavacollaSantiago de Compostela10 Kms

If we would need to divide in two the part from Arzua to O’Pedrouzo - what middle town would you recommend to stay?

Since I never know exactly when I'll be in Galicia I would book those days when I'm closer. @Antananarivo will probably want to have the Galician part booked ahead because of the mother and sister, but I think can wait until they are a week or so from Galicia to make those reservations. It shouldn't be so busy in October since the summer crowds who fill up this part of the Camino will be gone.

It is holy year. Expect the Galician part to be busy even in October.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your itinerary for yourself seems fine. It’s reasonable for a relatively young person in decent condition. My hesitation is for your mom. I’m a lifelong hiker and belong to a hiking group in the Pacific NW USA. Our group has a lot of strong hikers, but we’re getting older. We have people in their 80’s, and I’m familiar with the trajectory of aging. Most 80 year old women could not make the schedule you outline. Does your mom walk 4 k every day? Cumulative fatigue is real. Besides endurance, aging presents issues such as joint pain, hips, bottoms of feet, back, and shoulder pain with day after day walking. Your mom should at least walk 10 k days back to back (2 or 3 consecutive days) before the Camino and see how she does. I suggest adding a rest day in the middle of your time with her, or a couple very short (max 5k) days. Don’t want her to be disappointed if she can’t achieve the certificate. Buen Camin
@Antananarivo and if you don't use all those days, time in Santiago is never wasted! Drop into Pilgrim House, visit the cathedral museum, do the tour of the roof, lots of other wonderful churches and buildings to see, visit the traditional market, the shops in the old town, enjoy tapas...

I met a remarkable 80++ year old who walked every year from Sarria, a maximum of 14km each day. The year I met her she had her grandson with her, and he was carrying her pack. She was quite religious and sometimes would catch the bus into Santiago de Compostela and back, so she could attend mass in the cathedral. She also had a list of favourite accommodation providers; all people who knew her and expected her about the same time each year.
My sister wil be two months shy of her 82nd birthday when we walk in April-May of 2022. I plan around the terrain. This past September I build in extra rest days for her. So from Leon toSdC we took a rest day in Astorga, Ponferrada, and Melide. In between, she walked longer and shorter distances. She made it with no problem from Villafranca del Bierzo to the end of Las Herrerias (23km) but then the next day we walked up only to OCebriero (8-9) km with a 600M climb and overnighted. We walked from Sarria to Portomarin, but then the following stage we split the stage from there to Palas de Rei into two sections.

Last edited:
I've not spent any time there, but Salceda looks like it has some good options of places to stay.

I have. The Albergue Touristico is off the Camino, but one of my favorite places and worth the walk. The family that runs it are wonderful, and after a long Camino, it feels a bit like staying in a resort rather than an albergue. It's a "must like dogs" kind of a place with a very friendly, family oriented vibe. Highly recommended, particularly if you want to spend a bit more for one of the private rooms, which are very nice.

This is great advice and something I will do when I go back next year. When I walked last September, I took rest days in Burgos and Leon, and although those cities are lovely, I fell way behind my Camino family and did not catch up. Also, full days in Burgos and Leon are nice, but when you are all alone after making so many wonderful connections, you start itching for the trail again.

We divide this section. Usually we walk Rabanal to El Acebo about 16-18km, and then the follow day,we continue steep downhill to Molineseca and then adding additional 7km to Ponferrada to it.
Hi @Marbe2 just to make sure I understand your advice:

First "day" walk to Rabanal to El Acebo
Second day walk El Acebo to Molinaseca (and sleep in Molinaseca) and
Third day Molinaseca to Ponferrada (sleep in Ponferrada)?

Thanks in advance.

€83,-

Many thanks!
Hello I am also planning to walk the camino september/22. :)

just to make sure I understand your advice:
First "day" walk to Rabanal to El Acebo
Second day walk El Acebo to Molinaseca (and sleep in Molinaseca) and
Third day Molinaseca to Ponferrada (sleep in Ponferrada)?
Hi @Antananarivo, it appears that your question has not been answered yet. No, not three days for Rabanal to Ponferrada. Just two: Rabanal to El Acebo and El Acebo to Ponferrada.

Predictions made in February about the huge number of pilgrims in this Holy Year 2022 do not seem to have come true so far. This year appears to be a year with the typical pilgrimage patterns of previous years: high numbers on the first sections from SJPP to Pamplona and a bit beyond during the first half of May and (very likely) the first half of September. High numbers on the last sections during the summer months in Galicia from O Cebreiro onwards and particularly from Sarria onwards.

You intend to arrive in Sarria around the 20th October so no worries there.

People advise against using Booking.com because of their commission fees for owners. Booking.com is of course a useful tool to secure bookings and also useful to change dates of your booking as long as you make the change early enough, and you often can do this up to a day or two before arrival. Although I guess that you could book just one day ahead when you have arrived in the area in October this year, I myself would make provisional bookings now for Sarria, Portomarín etc and adjust later when you have a more precise idea of your schedule. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @Antananarivo, it appears that your question has not been answered yet. No, not three days for Rabanal to Ponferrada. Just two: Rabanal to El Acebo and El Acebo to Ponferrada.

Predictions made in February about the huge number of pilgrims in this Holy Year 2022 do not seem to have come true so far. This year appears to be a year with the typical pilgrimage patterns of previous years: high numbers on the first sections from SJPP to Pamplona and a bit beyond during the first half of May and (very likely) the first half of September. High numbers on the last sections during the summer months in Galicia from O Cebreiro onwards and particularly from Sarria onwards.

You intend to arrive in Sarria around the 20th October so no worries there.

People advise against using Booking.com because of their commission fees for owners. Booking.com is of course a useful tool to secure bookings and also useful to change dates of your booking as long as you make the change early enough, and you often can do this up to a day or two before arrival. Although I guess that you could book just one day ahead when you have arrived in the area in October this year, I myself would make provisional bookings now for Sarria, Portomarín etc and adjust later when you have a more precise idea of your schedule. Buen Camino!
This is all very helpful. Thanks!!

Thank you for posting this, it this has been very useful for my own planning, particularly the stretches where I was considering only distance, not terrain. I've changed my planning from Rabanal acccordingly.

Wishing you and your family a buen camino!

Thank you for posting this, it this has been very useful for my own planning, particularly the stretches where I was considering only distance, not terrain. I've changed my planning from Rabanal acccordingly.

Wishing you and your family a buen camino!
Happy to hear that!. I am getting ready for my trip in early September. At the end my mother and sister will meet me in Santiago. God Bless and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back