• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

your body in santiago...

buena!

i am wondering how your body feels after completing the camino. Of course, you experience a huge surge of joy and accomplishment. But how are your legs?? Your stamina? your blistered feet? Have you grown stronger from the daily walking or do you need a week to chill out?

I have 6 weeks and hope to get from St. Jean to Finestre. after the pilgrimage i head to italy for a cycling tour. i'm wondering if i should consider shortening my route now in order plan some mandatory chill out time, or if i'll be strong and ready to go.

also, any chance i'll be able to find a bike in santiago (perhaps from a biking peregrino) and borrow it to do a little riding to get my legs to remember what a bicycle is?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Buena!
We just got stronger and fitter the further we went, although in the middle when we were having foot and leg aches we stopped for two days to let it recover, not a twinge after that. No blisters either, after one the first day I took some advice Sillydoll put on the website and wore knee - hi stockings (although for more comfort I bought ankle hi ones) and also Vaseline, in the morning and again when I stopped for lunch and changed my socks. Would also like to sing the praises of Bridgedale wool walking socks. My feet loved all of this and walked me all the way, I could have gone another month. Just listen to your body and stop etc when you need to.
Magnara

How do you feel after the walk

Hi, I walk from St Jean Pied de Port in just under four weeks, as I wanted
to arrive in Santiago on my 60th birtday. I felt great and only had one bad
day, and that really was my own fault (felt rough in the morning about half way,but did not rest) at my age should have known better.
Wish you a wonderful time,

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
St Jean to Finisterre

You can comfortably walk from St Jean to Santiago in 5 weeks. If you need to do a bit of biking why not hire a bike from Tour 'n Ride and ride to Finisterre and back?
You will find them at: http://www.tournride.com/

You'll want a few days to look around the town and meet up with everyone you've walked with but fitness wise unless you've picked up an injury on the way you will be fitter than ever and will be zooming ahead of the rest in Italy.

Bike shops in Santiago include:

Victor at BICICLETAS VELOCIPEDO who has had good press from the cyclists on the Santiago Bicicleta group.
Email: vjsuarez@latinmail.com
Telephone 981-580260
Bicicletas Velocipedo,
Rúa de San Pedro 23
Santiago de Compostela

Tour'n'Ride is another possibility:
http://www.tournride.com/portal/index.php?&idioma=2

Buen Camino
William

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.