• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your Fave Le Puy Lodgings?

Susan Lee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2022, Podiensis 2022
Greetings, all!

I'm a woman along who will be walking from Le Puy to Cahors this month and would love to hear any recommendations you have for favorite gites or chambres d'hòtes, ideally those that offer demi-pension. So grateful to hear about your favorites!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Currently on my walk, my favourites so far:

Gite de la Virlange in Le Chazeaux
Abbaye St Foye in Conques
Ecoasis in Puy Clavel (just outside Grealou)

If you want good aligot, Ferme du Barry in Aumont-Aubrac.

Without demi-pension but still really good: Lou Fenador in Nasbinals

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also liked Ferme du Barry.

This has been a lovely stroll down memory lane finding places that I liked and specifically recall and are still operating. A caveat - it is now over ten years since I stayed at these places.

-the convent Malet (wonderful atmosphere, great "matrimonial" renovated room for me and spouse, very cheap but terrible boarding school food!) on the outskirts of Saint-Côme-d-Olt,
- at Figeac Chambres Les Prateges (for stunning rooms with beautiful garden and views, no demi-pension but close to plenty of restaurants),
- Gite de la Fontaine near Greylou (lovely hosts, who served a fabulous communal meal, not sure if they are the same people today)
- Gite d'etape de Poudally before Lalbenque (seems to have been renovated since I stayed there, but I recall the warm welcome and good food)
- Gite Ultreia in Moisssac (no longer hosted by the wonderful Eideen and Ron, but I understand with good new owners)
- Chez Vous Chez Nous at at Miradoux for the gourmet meal

- Somewhere in Armagnac we stayed at a farm, in a small cottage, and had a superb very Armagnac centric meal at night - fabulous! but hangovers the next day. Like so many others that I liked it seems to have closed.

Whoops, sorry, just realised you stop at Cahors.

A few favorites of mine in 2018...
*Domaine du Savage-Ferme Auberge (Chanaleilles)
*Gite d' Etape I'Oree du Chemin (Golinhac)
*Centre d'Accueil Abbaye (Conque)
*Gite d'Etape du Gua (Figeac)
*Gite d' Etape Communal d' Espagnac (Espagnac, Cele variant)
*Gite de Galance (Marcilhac Cele v.)
*Gite Ultreia (Moissac) P.S. Disappointing to now hear Ron and Aideen are gone.

EDIT- Oops, I just noticed Cahors is the end of the OP's walk. Oh well, possibly these suggestions may help someone else who will be going...I got carried away in my enthusiasm.😅

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
May your walk be nourishing!
Just returned to Canada after completing the walk from Le Puy To St. Jean Pied du Port. Here are some places my husband and I enjoyed along the way…..

* St. private d’Allier: Gites de La Cabourne. Excellent communal meal (dinner and good breakfast); spotless; well organized and run. (DP)
* Quatre Chemin: Gites d’étape/Chambres D’hotes Les 4 Chemin en Aubrac. Lovely hosts, excellent food (communal meal), clean, so welcoming. (DP)
* Conques: La Conquise. This was a splurge for us and wow, so worth it. Ghislaine was the best host; super room with view; excellent breakfast and picnic lunch. loads of restaurants. A treat if you need one!
* Livinhac le Haut: Gite d’état E La Fontaine du Chemin. So welcomed by hosts Alain and Monique. Excellent communal meals, spotless. (DP)
Bon Chemin

So helpful, Michelle! I have booked Gites de La Cabourne and La Conquise (which looks amazing) at your recommendation.

I'm a bit unclear as to where (which village) is best to stop for the night between Limogne-en-Quercy and Cahors. Any suggestions?

So helpful, Michelle! I have booked Gites de La Cabourne and La Conquise (which looks amazing) at your recommendation.

I'm a bit unclear as to where (which village) is best to stop for the night between Limogne-en-Quercy and Cahors. Any suggestions?
Hmm, we stayed in Bach, but had been in Cajarc the night before (31 km). We were not too keen on the Gites d’étape- Chambres D’hotes La Grange Saint Jacques. We heard the next day fromothers who had a great stay at one of the other places in Bach (are you using miam miam dodo as a guide?). This would be a short walk and then 25 to Cahors the next day if you are in Limogne en Q…. I can’t speak to the other places in Bascot, Vaylats, Escamps.
soooo happy you are staying at La Cabourne and La Conquise!!!
happy travels. If you have any other questions about the trip, you are welcome to email me at mgdaoust@yahoo.ca. What an adventure!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Greetings, all!

I'm a woman along who will be walking from Le Puy to Cahors this month and would love to hear any recommendations you have for favorite gites or chambres d'hòtes, ideally those that offer demi-pension. So grateful to hear about your favorites!!
I always stay in Logis Meymard in Le Puy.
It is in pedestrian alley by tourist office. Beautiful bfast. Amazingly kind and interesting host, Madeleine, a retired art lecturer, who created most of the large wooden carvings in Le Puy.

Hi Susan, between Limogne en Quercy and Cahors we stayed at gite Poudally in Mas de Vers/Lalbenque about 300m off the GR65 - great place, purpose built extension off the old house and restaurant quality food. You'll find all the places we stayed, the majority with demi pension on my blog from 2018 - walking500more.wordpress.com. May not be relevant now tho of course. Highlights were gite L'Escole in Montbonnet, Domaine du Sauvage, le Rose del Aubrac in Finieyrols, gite St Andre in St Chely d'Aubrac, gite d'etape del Romiou in St Come d'Olt, gite d'etape Domaine de Sanos in Senergues, the Abbaye in Conques, gite La Fountaine in Luvinhac la Haut, Ecoasis just before Grealou and gite Dalat E'tape in Mas de Dalat. In Cahors we stayed in Papillon Vert. They didn't do dinner that night as a large group booking were eating out but they usually do. Happy planning and bon chemin! Linda

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A few favorites of mine in 2018...
*Domaine du Savage-Ferme Auberge (Chanaleilles)
*Gite d' Etape I'Oree du Chemin (Golinhac)
*Centre d'Accueil Abbaye (Conque)
*Gite d'Etape du Gua (Figeac)
*Gite d' Etape Communal d' Espagnac (Espagnac, Cele variant)
*Gite de Galance (Marcilhac Cele v.)
*Gite Ultreia (Moissac) P.S. Disappointing to now hear Ron and Aideen are gone.

EDIT- Oops, I just noticed Cahors is the end of the OP's walk. Oh well, possibly these suggestions may help someone else who will be going...I got carried away in my enthusiasm.😅
Are Ron and Nadine the couple from Ireland?

Greetings, all!

Le Cri de la Giraffe in
Greetings, all!

Le Cri de la Giraffe in Navarrenx is unmissable!

Are Ron and Nadine the couple from Ireland?
Yes, they are. I have vivid memories of them, especially Aideen. I am now wondering if they possibly returned to Ireland permanently.
Here is a photo of Aideen; she is in the middle with two pilgrims from Australia we'd met that day in 2018.
Screenshot_20220915-055704~2.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Best accommodations and absolutely fantastic food at Le Drailles de la Mageride on saint Alban. Unless you do not want a four course French experience. We were there two nights ago. Owners are great
Bob

Best accommodations and absolutely fantastic food at Le Drailles de la Mageride on saint Alban. Unless you do not want a four course French experience. We were there two nights ago. Owners are great
Bob
I discovered many wonderful gites and their great food with four course meals on the Le Puy. I was always a bit too full from dinner though to enjoy the tray of cheese featuring many excellent varieties that they often brought out at the very end of the meal, and and it even followed dessert...a totally different experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Le Puy: Grand Séminaire, accueil St Georges
Aumont-Aubrac: Ferme du Barry (try the "Aligot")
Espalion: Au fil de l'eau (many good restaurants in Espalion)
Livinhac-le-Haut: Chacun son chemin. If you intend to go through Voie du Célé, do not hesitate to ask information there.
Figeac: Carmel (donativo)
Espagnac Sainte-Eulalie (voie du Célé): Gîte Communal
Cabrerets (voie du Célé): La Flèche Bleue
Pasturat (voie du Célé): Gîte d'étape de Pasturat
Cahors: Le relais des Jacobins.

I did like the Relais des Jacobins in Cahors. Camped outside in the garden both times I went there, so can't say much about the rooms, but it had excellent pilgrim spirit. Also the parroquial gites in Conques and Moissac. In Le Puy the grand seminaire St. Georges.

Apart from that, the refuge de la Béate in la Clauze is probably my absolute favourite place to stay on the podiensis now, even though it is not a gite and certainly not offering demi pension. But there I spent the most memorable night of both my caminos on the GR65 and maybe all my caminos so far. Magical.

Sometimes places you never heard of and nobody told you about, places with little luxury or even huge flaws but great atmosphere and/or company are the best, but that can not be planned for. Reviews and knowing other people's favourites can be helpful, but letting the way decide can also be very special.

Wherever you stay in the end, I'm sure it will be a great experience.

Bon chemin!

Yes, they are. I have vivid memories of them, especially Aideen. I am now wondering if they possibly returned to Ireland permanently.
Here is a photo of Aideen; she is in the middle with two pilgrims from Australia we'd met that day in 2018.
View attachment 132953

Camino Chrissy
Rom /Romuald and Aideen sold up in 2019 and are now happily living back in their home country in Ireland with their son Mathieu.I always stayed with them in Moissac.They were very welcoming and I appreciated their hospitality and friendship.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Chrissy
Rom /Romuald and Aideen sold up in 2019 and are now happily living back in their home country in Ireland with their son Mathieu.I always stayed with them in Moissac.They were very welcoming and I appreciated their hospitality and friendship.
Thank you for the report @Mournes. They were lucky to sell their property in 2019 before covid reared its ugly head in early 2020.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Greetings, all!

Bonjour Susan,
I was wondering how many days were you planning on walking from Le Puy to Cahors? And how are you getting back to whereever you are going next

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back