• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your favorite albergues on camino Portugues

Dr Ana

Time of past OR future Camino
Future plan: easter week 2019 Santa Semana, Sevilla to Porto direction
At least from Valenca/ Tui to Santiago, and for Porto? Or if you done all route, from Porto to Santiago, please

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Valença do Minho to Santiago
O refúxio de la Jérezana in Cessantes ( 3 kms beyond Redondela)
Forget the smelly and noisy municipal in Redondela and walk another 3 kms to this gem !

Starting on the Central route from Porto,nearby the airport the monastério de Vairão Nice albergue in a former monastery

Last edited:
Hi,

I have walked the section Porto-Santiago twice.

My favourite Albergues were:
San Pedro de Rates
Casa de Recoleta, Porto de Tamel
Public albergue in Rubiaes

These are the ones I might give a try another time, because I have heard very good records about them:
Casa Fernanda
Monasterio de Hebrón (next to Padrón)
Public albergue in Teo (I did not like the private one)

BC
Alexandra

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hallo Dr Ana,

For the Portugues Way I have three Albergues which I liked a lot.

Way at the Coast:
Albergue Casa do Sardao in Carreco

Central Way:
Casa Fernanda
Alojamento Local Ninho in Rubiaes

BC
Michael

I agree with Fernanda's being the best, very friendly and Fernanda is just so hospitable and speaks excellent English.

Then San Pedro de Rates is good and has the advantage of a wonderful restaurant half a kilometre further into the village and for breakfast a mouth watering cake shop just around the corner which opens quite early. A great way to start the day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I liked Airporto Hostal in Porto
The municipal albergues Ponte de Lima , Porrino and Padron

In Tui, Ideas Peregrinas.
In Vila do Conde the Santa Clara municipal Albergue is well located and well run by volunteers.
Another vote for Ninho in Rubiaes and Casa Fernanda.

The most traditional Albergue on the Central way is the municipal at San Pedro de Rates, and those types of places should be experienced at least once (though preferably more).

The Albergue Cidade de Barcelos is run by an association and is also very nice.

Another vote for Casa da Fernanda!
Some people here in the forum think it is over the top (and yup, it can be a quite full on experience), but she is amazing :)

I keep reading about Casa Fernanda. What makes it so special, but what makes it "over the top"? Just curious. Planning my CP and trying to keep track of the best recommendations.
Thanks!
Lynne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I keep reading about Casa Fernanda. What makes it so special, but what makes it "over the top"? Just curious. Planning my CP and trying to keep track of the best recommendations.
Thanks!
Lynne
LynneR said:
Thanks!

Go there and find it out your self.
It is not an albergue but it is a family who opens their home for pilgrims.
They take care for your lunch if you are in time, your diner and your breakfast. All donativo. " Mother" Fernanda deserves a place in heaven .
Since many years I'll be there very year. Sometimes twice, sometimes as hospitaleiro to give a hand with cleaning up, preparing the meal etc. lovely people

Can't wait to be there again, beginning of april coming.

Attachments

• IMG_4320.JPG
    IMG_4320.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 95
LynneR said:
Thanks!

Go there and find it out your self.
It is not an albergue but it is a family who opens their home for pilgrims.
They take care for your lunch if you are in time, your diner and your breakfast. All donativo. " Mother" Fernanda deserves a place in heaven .
Since many years I'll be there very year. Sometimes twice, sometimes as hospitaleiro to give a hand with cleaning up, preparing the meal etc. lovely people

Can't wait to be there again, beginning of april coming.
My daughter and I will be walking the Portuguese in mid July and would like to stay at casa fernanda on July 20. I have her phone number but am in the US and would like to contact her by using either Skype or WhatsApp but haven't been able to figure out how since she would have to be in my contacts or I would have to invite her using another app such as Facebook. Can you help me with this? Thank you!

My daughter and I will be walking the Portuguese in mid July and would like to stay at casa fernanda on July 20. I have her phone number but am in the US and would like to contact her by using either Skype or WhatsApp but haven't been able to figure out how since she would have to be in my contacts or I would have to invite her using another app such as Facebook. Can you help me with this? Thank you!
That is a problem ! She has no whatsapp and often cannot answer the phone .
Click on my avatar and send me your email address in a privat conversation and I can contact her and reserve a place for you if you like

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Click on my avatar and send me your email address in a privat conversation and I can contact her and reserve a place for you if you like
Thank you Albertinho! I would love to send you my email so you could reserve for me. But when I clicked on your avatar it would not let me access your info. Maybe I did it wrong? Help!🤔 Thanks!

Valença do Minho to Santiago
O refúxio de la Jérezana in Cessantes ( 3 kms beyond Redondela)
Forget the smelly and noisy municipal in Redondela and walk another 3 kms to this gem !

Starting on the Central route from Porto,nearby the airport the monastério de Vairão Nice albergue in a former monastery
De acuerdo - everything I read about Redondela made me want to do the extra km to get past it, and this place was lovely!
Of course, Casa Fernanda is amazing, too! Absolutely a highlight.

Here is a link to a previous post on this topic. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-albergues-on-the-portugues.53507/post-595204

Quinta do Caminho was fabulous. It is in Pedreira, about 4-5 kms before Valenca. It is both a dormitory and 9 private rooms and is right on the trail. Very nice dining room and outdoor patio bar and amazing quiet lawns. BONUS - nicest pool I've found on the CP or the CF. Here is the link I found http://quintadocaminho.com/en/the-quinta/ I will definitely stay there again if I go back. Have fun.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Also, just remembered Casa Laura in Vilarinho. Small, but clean and very welcoming. Complimentary port and biscuits served in the garden in the evening.

I loved the total silence of Barcelos. I could have stayed there a week, snoozing in the garden during the day. Pity I was on a pilgrimage.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
At least from Valenca/ Tui to Santiago, and for Porto? Or if you done all route, from Porto to Santiago, please
My personal favorites:
Porto-Bluesock Hostel
Matosinhos-Fistail Hostel
Angeiras-Camping Orbitur
Carreço-Casa do Sardáo🌟
Tui-Santo Domingo
Armenteira-Residence Bianca &Jorge
Vilanova de Arousa-A Salazon albergue
SdC-San Martín Pinario

Another big vote for Monasterio de Hebrón (next to Padrón). Totally worth the extra couple of kms. A unique and very special experience.

Plus (yet) one more vote for Casa Fernanda. The evening we spent dancing with a bunch of tipsy Scandinavians to (what else?) Abba, will live with me forever.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dr Ana hello!
3 more votes for San Pedro de Rates, Albergue Ninho in Rubiaes as Marlene is very kind, everything very clean, and a help yourself breakfast was left for us, and of course Casa Fernanda. Simple accommodation with a big heart and lots of home-cooked food. Towards the end we struggled a bit some days to find accommodation and sometimes landed up in places where we felt a bit isolated and didn"t have the companionship of the other pilgrims. Bom caminho!

Thanks!
Lynne
She is the nicest person you will ever meet!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Albertinho! I would love to send you my email so you could reserve for me. But when I clicked on your avatar it would not let me access your info. Maybe I did it wrong? Help!🤔 Thanks!
In the meantime it was arranged and Bonnie has her reservation at Fenanda's. Donot know what is wrong with the conversation button Will research it.
Bom caminho

A friend of mine and I walked a part of the Coastal caminho last year-we will continue within a few weeks the part to Santiago .
We walked from Porto to Viana do Castelo. Then jumped over to the Central route to stay at Casa da Fernanda and visited my favorite Portuguese town, Braga, by bus from Fernanda.Braga is the center of the "world " for producing a typical Portuguese musical instrument, o cavaco or cavaquinho. The cavaco is used only in Portuguese, Brasilean and Cape Verdian music. When I am at Fernanda's, allways visit my musical friends in Braga. Braga is also famous for the world heritage sanctuary Bom Jesus do Monte. You can get a nice stamp on your credential there aswell in the cathedral of Braga and once outside the cathedral you'll see after 30 meters straight ahead of you at the left side the musical shop Som da Sé. If you mention my name, the owner, Luis Múxima probably plays a nice Portuguese song for you on one of the instruments in his shop 😊

From Fernanda we took the train back to Viana do Castelo and walked to Caminha
There you can take the ferry to Spain but we walked the Ecovia footpath to Vila Nova de Cerveira along the Minho river and on to Valença do Minho where our caminho ended and we continue as been said next april to Santiago .
Enjoy the video !

Passa bem e bom caminho

Albertinho

Last edited:
Albergue de peregrinos|Hostel
Monte Santa Luzia 176, 4900-000 Viana do Castelo, Portugal

Most stop downtown. Just walk on a bit more.

In Viano do Castelo. No doubts...
Pensão o Laranjeira The owners themselves walked the caminho.
Great place right in the center of Viana, close by the railwaystation
Great restaurant, great breakfast...

Santa Casa Da Misericordia, day two out of Lisbon. Very basic church hostel but clean and welcoming. Caretaker, a very pious and humble gentleman was a delight to talk with and he presented me with my shell! Priceless.

Santa Casa Da Misericordia, day two out of Lisbon. Very basic church hostel but clean and welcoming. Caretaker, a very pious and humble gentleman was a delight to talk with and he presented me with my shell! Priceless.
"Santa Casa da misericordia" ist just the portuguese word for "house of mercy" and usually the name of an old peoples home or a shelter where they care for disabled people. Every bigger town has one.

Do you mean the house in Santarém?

BC
Alexandra

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I guess so. Took the name off of the stamp - I did not realize that there were others on the Camino. I guess it is adjacent to the church. Thanks-still learning even after the Camino lol. All good.

My personal favorites:
Porto-Bluesock Hostel
Matosinhos-Fistail Hostel
Angeiras-Camping Orbitur
Carreço-Casa do Sardáo🌟
Tui-Santo Domingo
Armenteira-Residence Bianca &Jorge
Vilanova de Arousa-A Salazon albergue
SdC-San Martín Pinario
I accidently ended up at Camping Orbitur when I missed a turn. A fellow at a market noticed my distress and called Camping Orbitur to see if they had room for me. I had a nice little cabin.

Fernanda is why I travel the world. One of the best people you’ll ever meet.

We were lucky to get to stay there.

The albergues with community meals, which were easier to find on the Frances, are what the Camino is all about for me.

Fernanda is why I travel the world. One of the best people you’ll ever meet.

We were lucky to get to stay there.

The albergues with community meals, which were easier to find on the Frances, are what the Camino is all about for me.
De acuerdo! Another community meal possibility along the Português is Refuxio de la Jerezana in Cesantes. But nothing holds a candle to Casa da Fernanda!

San Pedro de Rates! Because it's the first place that I had a communal meal. We all pitched in for pasta, salad, bread and wine. ALSO because, I got to reconnect with the first Peregrino we met (back in Porto), @davej (That's me and DaveJustDave in the middle). I still keep in touch with 2 other's I met there. It was GREAT!

Attachments

• 1464057395957.jpg
    1464057395957.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 22
Could you please let us know how to make a reservation there? Thank you kindly!

Me too. I could not email you my email.

In the meantime it was arranged and Bonnie has her reservation at Fenanda's. Donot know what is wrong with the conversation button Will research it.
Bom caminho
This is what I get when I try:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
This member limits who may view their full profile.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back