• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your favorite photos of locals...

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Hello all,
Many of us have really been enjoying all the "favorite" photos posted recently in an earlier thread and also had fun searching through our own collections to select personal favorite(s) to add.

This has inspired me to start this thread. I love seeing the local Spaniards and am always curious about their way of life as I walk through the many Camino villages. Occasionally I ask if I can take their picture...and sometimes not! ;)
Here are a "few" of mine.20150420_061246.jpg

Attachments

• 20160524_161732.jpg
    20160524_161732.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 181
  • 20160502_123047.jpg
    20160502_123047.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
  • 20170512_135839.jpg
    20170512_135839.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 168
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All the wonderful people!
Since you said photos, here are three:
My favorite is an action shot that I've already posted elsewhere, but here it is again.Portomarin-Palas de Rei (14).JPG

And a lady in Villafranca who we were joking with one morning:
Cacabelos-Las Herrieras (68).JPG

And then there is David, at his stand near Astorga. This portrait from a distance captures something of the feeling of imagining him being there as people come and go and come and go. Hospital de Orbigo-Astorga (23) - Copy.JPG

I have many photos of gracious and endlessly patient hospis. Perhaps we need another thread?

All the wonderful people!
Since you said photos, here are three:
My favorite is an action shot that I've already posted elsewhere, but here it is again.View attachment 38002

And a lady in Villafranca who we were joking with one morning:
View attachment 38005

And then there is David, at his stand near Astorga. This portrait from a distance captures something of the feeling of imagining him being there as people come and go and come and go. View attachment 38006

I have many photos of gracious and endlessly patient hospis. Perhaps we need another thread?
Yes, it's photo"s" as it's often so hard to choose only one. I remember the one you posted of the lady with her cows as I had added one similar to yours of the "fearless Galician ladies".
Yes, another thread...started by you! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not good pics but they add to my memories. This gorgeous old woman is one many who have walked the CF will know. She sells pancakes or crepes or whatever they might be called in Spanish. Freshly made, still warm, on a plate, covered in a teatowel. Offered right outside the door of her house. She holds a jar of sugar to sprinkle on each crepe. Donativo. The more you give the more sugar you get.;) Her pancakes are delicious. I’ve eaten them twice with no ill effect. And my very best to her. I love giving my money to locals.
AND can I add no thanks to @zrexer and @Camino Chris! I didn’t want to walk the CF again until I started trawling through photos to post to their silly threads.:confused:
0625FB1D-781E-4DEB-8A54-FAEB7CB997F6.jpeg 276F2847-96B2-4A41-A3B4-B72870FE7B67.jpeg

Last edited:
Double dipping. I met this wonderful woman gathering herbs. I started a conversation and she began teaching me about local wild herbs:D. I love gardening but my Spanish is pretty much crap however I was understanding enough (combined with my sense of smell because she kept sticking various springs of greenery under my nose:D) to work out what she was saying. We put one of her sprigs (it was wild mint) in my water bottle. Makes my heart miss a beat to think back on it. And I walked away without hugging her. I still regret that.
B07134D0-49FB-418E-8BC3-4D02471DFCAA.jpeg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just love to observe how daily life goes on when we have the luxury to walk through that beautiful country!
That is for me the big advantage of knowing some basic Spanish : you can engage in conversations with local people and most of them do appreciate this effort.

PalmSunday in Santiago de Compostela

Domingo de Ramos.jpg

Sunday in Tudela and the locals go for a tapa

sunday in Tudela.jpg

Workmen and their breakfast in Caldas de Reis

workmen and their breakfast.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello all,
Many of us have really been enjoying all the "favorite" photos posted recently in an earlier thread and also had fun searching through our own collections to select personal favorite(s) to add.

This has inspired me to start this thread. I love seeing the local Spaniards and am always curious about their way of life as I walk through the many Camino villages. Occasionally I ask if I can take their picture...and sometimes not! ;)
Here are a "few" of mIMG_8887.JPG ine.View attachment 37981

Not good pics but they add to my memories. This gorgeous old woman is one many who have walked the CF will know. She sells pancakes or crepes or whatever they might be called in Spanish. Freshly made, still warm, on a plate, covered in a teatowel. Offered right outside the door of her house. She holds a jar of sugar to sprinkle on each crepe. Donativo. The more you give the more sugar you get.;) Her pancakes are delicious. I’ve eaten them twice with no ill effect. And my very best to her. I love giving my money to locals.
AND can I add no thanks to @zrexer and @Camino Chris! I didn’t want to walk the CF again until I started trawling through photos to post to their silly threads.:confused:
View attachment 38023 View attachment 38024
I am dissappointed to having never seen the pancake lady, but I've heard others mention her before, too.
I thought I would only walk new routes in the future, but like you, going through all my pictures makes me yearn for the Frances again!
I also am often shy about asking locals if I can take their picture.

Last edited:
Where is the pancake lady located? I haven't seen her.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some pictures of locals from our 2015 Camino Frances.

Some of the nuns from the church and albergue of Santa Maria del Camino in Carrión de los Condes.
J03000-HOR.png

From our emailed blog: Outside, the narrow one-way street that the Camino follows was being marked up with decorations in chalk. Tomorrow morning they will be filled with flower petals. Flags and banners are already hanging off of buildings or on ropes strung between them. This is one way they celebrate Corpus Christi (since 1996). Our New Year's Rose parade has floral floats pass by us while standing on the street. In this town the people pass by the floral decorated street. We are hoping to see some of this filled in as we head out in the morning.

We were in Sahagún during their festivities for San Juan de Sahagún. In the afternoon before the mayor officially started the festivities the locals were unofficially starting things off in the plaza major with drinks. There were many clubs there and the members wore shirts in their club colors. A woman's club wore pink shirts and were the smartest ones there as some members were charged with pushing pink decorated carriages filled with drinks.
N02300-HOR.png N00800-VER.png

A gaitero (a Galician bagpipe player) busking near the 100 km marker. We could hear him a kilometer away. He played the Scottish style pipes too but liked the sweeter sound of Galician pipes. I'm with him.
Q32500-VER.png

A lady going out to work the fields in Galicia. I pointed to my camera, she gave a nod and a smile and I got my shot. Sometimes I asked for a picture but I found it was easier on me to ask by just pointing to the camera.
T03400-HOR.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Burgos, 1506
Lament for the death of Philip the Handsome

During our hike of the Camino Frances Peg and I took an afternoon to do some errands in Burgos and to scope out the town for places to see on our rest day the next day. We got an special treat; the plaza below the cathedral was the scene of a royal funeral procession. Well, actually there were about 100 actors and extras there for a filming of "La Corona Partida" ("The Split Crown"), a sequel to the TV series "Isabel." They were depicting the funeral procession of Phillip the Handsome who died in Burgos in 1506.
View media item 4521

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Love the lady laughing with the mop.

My favourite pic is the one we never took, an old women in a shack boiling water over a fire, she called her old man in for a cup of tea, he was out collecting chestnuts, he smiled at us and touched his heart then his hat. Scott smiled at me and said, that will be us. We'd just brought our family nut farm and Scott was in Spain researching nut fed pigs.

I think if those old two Galcians every time I go out to collect walnuts.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
dames merida.jpg DON BLAS.jpg Here are two pictures taken in 2015 on my Via de la Platacamino. the first one is taken in Merida during a Holy Week procession. On the second one is Don Blas, a well known priest in Fuenterroble de Salvatierra, he is very active in developing the albergue there. By many pilgrims he was treated as a popstar, many wanted to be with him in a picture. I only took one on request.

Double dipping. I met this wonderful woman gathering herbs. I started a conversation and she began teaching me about local wild herbs:D. I love gardening but my Spanish is pretty much crap however I was understanding enough (combined with my sense of smell because she kept sticking various springs of greenery under my nose:D) to work out what she was saying. We put one of her sprigs (it was wild mint) in my water bottle. Makes my heart miss a beat to think back on it. And I walked away without hugging her. I still regret that.
View attachment 38025
You'll hug her next time you pass thru....or I will for you!!

I think the pancake ladies name is Carman (from my memory which I don't really trust!) They were delicious according to Anton

Where is the pancake lady located? I haven't seen her.
She lives in Fonfria.
The crepe lady found us as we walked along the passageway/roadway to the right / back of the buildings on the main road. I couldn't help but register that we were enjoying delicious crepes, as described by @HedaP above, while standing amid the cow offerings on the ground. :D

You'll hug her next time you pass thru....or I will for you!!
Yes please do. She is an absolute darling and I bet you she is a good cook. She was out gathering a small handful of fresh herbs for that day’s lunch.

The crepe lady found us as we walked along the passageway/roadway to the right / back of the buildings on the main road. I couldn't help but register that we were enjoying delicious crepes, as described by @HedaP above, while standing amid the cow offerings on the ground. :D
And did you see the colour of her finger nails? My sister who is a nurse was apalled. That first time I was so hungry that particular day I just inhaled that pancake. And ate another pancake the next time round. Both equally delicious and no ill effects whatsoever. And yay for her because she suppliments her pension or whatever income she has with means she has at her disposal. True entrepeneur. I have great respect for her and would eat another pancake should I ever be lucky enough to be offered one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And did you see the colour of her finger nails? My sister who is a nurse was apalled. That first time I was so hungry that particular day I just inhaled that pancake. And ate another pancake the next time round. Both equally delicious and no ill effects whatsoever. And yay for her because she suppliments her pension or whatever income she has with means she has at her disposal. True entrepeneur. I have great respect for her and would eat another pancake should I ever be lucky enough to be offered one.
I will send you a PM.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here are three images of a street procession we were delighted to come upon in Redondella while walking the Camino Portugues in April and May 2016. It appeared that the whole neighbourhood was involved. The musicians and the various characters were terrific and the local children were loving it.

Thanks for this thread,

Anne and Pat

Attachments

• P5224165.JPG
    P5224165.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3146.JPG
    IMG_3146.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3147.JPG
    IMG_3147.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Missing the Crepes Lady of Fonfria was one of my great disappointments! Thanks for the pic.

JGE+

At a local market on the route from Porto to Santiago.DSC_0848 (1024x685) - Copy.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all,

Here are a "few" of mine.View attachment 37981
Hello all,

Gaiteiros practising....and then in full flow...in pontevedraWP_20170618_018.jpg WP_20170618_043.jpg

I've heard that he's no longer there ~ the wonderful man with the white van in the Pyrenees between Orisson and Roncesvalles.

Attachments

• Pyrenees .jpg
    Pyrenees .jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 33
Hello all,

Here are a "few" of mine.View attachment 37981[/QUOTE

Hello all,

Attachments

• 858041A7-7719-4E85-BE48-CEFC696ED7DF.jpeg
    858041A7-7719-4E85-BE48-CEFC696ED7DF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
0543E5BA-5117-4065-88D4-0A5114EC8D74.jpeg BEE09CC1-C9A8-4523-9FC7-D3D6A1C1B5EE.jpeg We met Juan tending his trees by the cross on the hill before Astorga. He weights the branches with stones to straighten them. Halls water for them. Plants more every year.

On the lookout for pilgrims......

14507380322_542f3bf44c_h.jpg

I just love to observe how daily life goes on when we have the luxury to walk through that beautiful country!
That is for me the big advantage of knowing some basic Spanish : you can engage in conversations with local people and most of them do appreciate this effort.

PalmSunday in Santiago de Compostela

View attachment 38030

What year is that from? I was in Santiago on Palm Sunday in 2014. It was quite an experience watching the procession from the St. Francis church to the cathedral.

img_2741.jpg

This was one of those "Point the camera behind me and see what comes out" pictures. The little boy on his dad's shoulders is one of my favorite pictures from the Camino, plus there's the girl in the corner giving me the evil eye!
img_2751.jpg

This lady taking pictures of me, taking pictures!
img_1716.jpg

This happy fellow, hanging out in Santo Domingo's hometown.
img_1867.jpg
This guy, who did the one man band thing for the kids at the bar near the cathedral in Burgos.
img_1937.jpg
This little stalker, who followed me for a good mile, probably laughing at the mud sticking to my boots outside of Leon.
img_2363.jpg

After my own little "running with the bulls" in Galicia, this lady who turned at the last second to give me a smile.
img_2535.jpg

38728163885_e54c2fc24c_z.jpg

Typical Spanish village life

ooo, another lovely thread... :) much as I try to avoid taking pictures of people, sometimes I can't help myself...

these two old chaps were listening to a football game in tardajos.
08111 Tardajos dedka.jpg

two young ladies doing their beautying right on the street corner of jaca.
04504 Jaca puncki.jpg

a happy little lady and an unhappy little man in viana's main plaza.
0120a Viana plaza T.JPG

waiting for the cows to come rushing by in los arcos.
06416a LosArcos.jpg

two local ladies taking a stroll after santibanez de valdeiglesias.
09810a babki.jpg

this family from astorga cought many eyes.
09855 Astorga.jpg

@caminka : They are all so stunning! They capture Spanish life brilliantly. I just adore the fact how Spanish people/ culture embrace the natural flow between generations. Older people on their paseo, children in the playgrounds...People actually " talking " to each other.
I cannot wait to get another shot of Spanish culture this April!

Gracias!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.