• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your favorite "section" of the Camino

bowmanrich

Hello everyone,

I would like to spend 10-15 days walking on the Camino Francés in 2011 and was wondering which section to do. I can probably average 25 kms per day.

I understand that arriving in Santiago de Compostela must be something quite special but I don't mind waiting a year or two until I can get more time off work to walk the whole way.

I'd love to hear your opinions on the most interesting section (if there is one) to make my first walk as enjoyable as possible.

thanks,
Richard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If I were you, I'd start at St Jean Pied de Port and see how far I get. You would probably reach Burgos in two weeks which would be a nice place to finish and would leave three weeks' walking (+/-) to get to Santiago which you could do in the following year(s).

I vote for Saint Jean Pied du Port too.
Most of the pilgrims from SJPP are on their first camino, and this creates a special togetherness. The experience is new for almost everyone and many spend the first 5 to 7 days forming loosely defined groups that will more or less stay together until Santiago. Pilgrims beginning, say - past Pamplona - do not have the shared experience of those from SJPP but are generally accepted into the tide of pilgrims on their journey.

Buen Camino.
David, Victoria, Canada

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It is nice walking the stage from St Jean to Roncesvalles but only we "foreigners" tend to do this. Spanish pilgrims wouldn't see the point of going into another country to start their Camino and most of them start in Roncevalles, Pamplona or further west.

my favorite section of the camino would have to be the day where you leave villafranca del bierzo. amazing town, and as you leave there are the three options. TAKE THE ONE THAT GOES UP THE MOUNTAIN! less people take it cos they miss the route, but if u do get up on that path. the views are amazing and you really do believe that there is a greater force at work there. i literally stopped walking and just sat and admired the scenery and the tranquility.

I did this stretch rather slow on account of injuries but there weren't more than 20 people on this route all the way until we joined the other routes.

another great lil stretch is the route to pedrouzo/arzua. its just walking through forests, and whilst there is deforestation going on, its a very nice walk. :)

Hi Richard,
What time of the year are you planning to walk as that might make a difference to the sections people recommend?
If, as it appears, you are taking the 'long view' and are happy with walking the CF over a couple of years then starting in SJPP is a wonderful launching point. Perhaps because its the starting point for so many other novice pilgrims there seems to be a special kind of camaraderie and, as its also the meeting point of a some of the great routes across France, its also the 'start' of the second stage of their walk for many experienced pilgrims who will have already covered 100's of km of their journey. This mix generates a great energy and joyfulness that seems to compensate- at least in part- for any pre-performance nerves!
Nell

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for all the ideas.

In reply to Nell, it looks like I'll be aiming for beginning June to start my walk. From what I've read, June seems to be a good compromise: not too crowded, weather not too hot or too cold.

I am certainly tempted by starting my walk at St. Jean Pied de Port. Joining up with others who are embarking on the adventure as beginners like myself, would be an encouragement.

If my walk goes well, I'll do the other half another year.

Richard

My advice is to start from st Palais in France, Basque country, 3-4 days before SJPTP, you will get in shape before you climb the Pyraneans, beatiful country too.
My best parts - Le Puy to Figeac, Astorga to Santiago.

What is spesial about the start from St. Jean or from Roncesvalles is that in most of the places to stop in Navarra you will have your eveningmeal as a pilgrimmeal and meat a lot of other pilgrims.
I liked that very much walking alone.
About the road I would prefer the walk from Astorga to Santiago, except for the way from Villafranca along the road. Take the hights. The walk through Rioja is also beautiful, and after walking the ups and downs through France from Le Puy last autumn, I enjoyed the meseta when i arrived there. It was nice not having to watch your steps for a while.
So each stage has its preferances.
I guess if you do not reach Santiago you will do that another year. A lot of people have to go back as you can see in this forum. If you intend to do that do not reach Santiago if you cant do the whole camino.
Ranthr

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All good suggestions, personnally I recommend starting in St Jean, like the others stated, you'll be starting with others on their first day. I also suggest when you get to Burgos or where ever you stop for this leg go to the cathedral and find a spot near a door, the steps or whatever spot just seems right and touch it with your hand. When you return the following year or the whenever you return to continue your Camino go back to that spot and place your hand on the same spot, that way you'll be continuing your journey from the exact same point and not miss a step of your Camino.

This has no relevence to like an exact area of what section i liked since i voiced my likes already. but i remembered one thing that made my Camino a whole lot better.

I dont speak spanish besides the simple meal ordering and a few simple questions like where is the albergue or where is the toilet... but i dont know how or why, but after i entered Galicia, i could actually communicate with a lot of other people (local people) in French. :eek: Whilst some of them spoke a tiny bit of my first language - english, it was nice to be able to have conversations with them fluently in French. This was a profound experience :shock: as I was able to learn more about Galicia and the vibrant celtic culture immersed in the rich spanish traditions. it certainly made the last stretch a lot more interesting and i was able to learn and take away a lot.

wow i miss galicia alot... :?

Buen Camino :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The start of the camino from SJPDP is really lovely the climb up the Pyrennes is breathtaking.Also its your first day walking and your really excited and eager..The climb up to O Cebriro should not be missed.. And Galicia.. God I could go on and on,The whole walk is magic

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. What a lively and responsive forum this is ! I've rarely seen one quite as active.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to get time off from work to do the whole walk in one go. Therefore I am faced with the choice of leaving from somewhere near Burgos and reaching Santiago de Compostela or starting the walk the way most people do, at SJPP and possibly doing the second stretch another year.

I think I will settle for the second option and start at SJPP. The whole walk sounds wonderful from what you say - so one day, I'll make sure I see the rest.

I'm aiming to walk at end May, beginning June 2011. If any of you will be walking the camino francés at that time - hope to meet you there. In the meantime, I've got loads more questions to ask in other threads.

many thanks

Richard

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi

I agree with Zammy who said: "My advice is to start from st Palais in France, Basque country, 3-4 days before SJPTP, you will get in shape before you climb the Pyraneans, beatiful country too.'

He's right! Personnaly,I started in Tours (France) but I met a guy who started in st-Palais and he said it made a big difference to get used to the walk before you hit the "hill" .

Also, when you leave SJPP, you will realise that the climb is pretty steep... we stopped in Honto for the night, you get a great meal and you charge up those calf batteries for the crossover!

Have a great trip and remember that wherever you start, it's not the destination but the journey that counts!

Buen Camino and... Carpe Diem!

Lucie

Just another thought - why not start from your front door?

I see you live in France, and although I haven't looked it up in the atlas you could either drop down and walk the Arles path or go across to Le Puy I would think? Last year I spent some time with 2 men who had taken 9 years to get to Santiago - in 10 day bite sized bits - having walked from their home in the Tyrol in Austria. In 2007 I met a young man who walked (in one go) from his home in Berlin and 2 other men from their homes in Bavaria, and then in 2005 I met a Swiss woman who had walked from her home in Zurich. I also came across a largish church group on the Le Puy route who had been walking for a week every year for about 7 years, and are planning on reaching Santiago in 2011.

Just more thoughts for you to play around with! Cheers, Janet

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting ideas...
I'm actually not too worried about the first stage from SJPP. I live in Haute-Savoie (french alps) and so my walking paths usually go up some mountain somewhere. Can't really avoid them here!

I like the idea of starting from my front door :lol:, but then it becomes a long term project and I'm not sure that wife and kids would approve or care to come with me each year. I'll save that idea for my retirement years :wink: .

Richard

Great thread, as I won't be able to finish the Camino Frances this year and have been thinking mostly about when to stop, not where to start ... I like the idea of starting before St Jean, at St Palais, but I am wondering whether the trail is marked there, and if there are hostels along the way?

Thanks,
Linda

Hello Linda,

Yes, I was also wondering about where to stop too. Then again I thought that going "as far as my legs will carry me in 12 days" is probably the safest bet. The further, the better, with no particular objective that I might not reach. If I start at SJPP I should be able to get to Burgos if all goes well.

The suggestion of several members to start in France is very tempting if you're not used to walking up mountains. Personally I prefer to start from a place where I could join up with a group of newcomers like myself.

When are you planning your trip ?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes the path is marked very well from St Palais. Mind you, there are a couple of steep hills between there and St Jean too! Orthez would also be a nice place to start. The path is very well marked all along there - the Amis have done a wonderful job of waymarking the Vezelay path. Cheers, Janet

By the way - the accomodation in St Palais is delightful - it is in the Monastery there.

How about a 'Best of Both"

14 Days Camino

Day 1: Start Roncesvalles to Zubiri 21.7km
Day 2: - Pamplona 20,5km
Day 3: - Puente La Reina 23.5km
Day 4: - Estella 21.8km
Day 5: - Los Aroca 21.3km
Day 6: - Logróno 28.2km

Day 7: Overnight Train to Sarria: 01h58 arr: 09:47 €47

Day 8: Sarria to Portomarin 23 km
Day 9 Cassanova 27.6
Day 10: Arzua 24 km
Day 11: Arca 23 km
Day 12: Santiago 16km
Day 13: Free day in Santiago

Hi folks,
I'm off for a weeks hol so I won't be very active on the forum for a few days unless I can find some free Internet access where I'm going.

Incidentally, I won't be far from the Puy en Velay, one of the french starting points. So I'll try to pick up as much information as I can for next year's walk.

Richard

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Richard - if you start In StJean you should be aware that you are walking OVER the Pyrenees and its very very steep - you walk up about 1000 meters on the first 14 km of your trip....I started there because I couldnt pronounce Roncesvalles!

falcon269 said:
All of the ones behind me.

Yes, the sections one has completed glow of satisfaction... but our preference is for all the ones that lie ahead!

I loved the Bierzo and the Meseta best. Some people miss out the Meseta which I think is a great pity. But I agree with the start at SJPP and see how far you get theory. Then come back later.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back