• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your Ideal First Aid Kit for the Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The item I use most often is micropore tape. Useful for minor cuts and grazes and for covering rubbing spots on toes to prevent blisters. Also handy for small repairs to other kit. A crepe bandage is also useful in case of sprains and other joint problems. I carry paracetamol and ibuprofen tablets. A small tub of zinc oxide ointment and a small bottle of tea tree oil to counter fungal infections and chafing.

The item I use most often is micropore tape. Useful for minor cuts and grazes and for covering rubbing spots on toes to prevent blisters. Also handy for small repairs to other kit. A crepe bandage is also useful in case of sprains and other joint problems. I carry paracetamol and ibuprofen tablets. A small tub of zinc oxide ointment and a small bottle of tea tree oil to counter fungal infections and chafing.
Great suggestions, thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Agree with @Bradypus, but we don't bring an ace bandage, zinc oxide, or tea tree oil. My husband brings some bandaids and triple antibiotic, chapstick, and sunscreen. Also some duct tape can work in an emergency instead of paper or foam tape. Just don't stick it on an already formed blister or you may deroof it when you take it off later. I am a nurse and I used to carry a huge first aid kit with me everywhere. Only used it a couple of times through so I have dialed it way back for the camino.

Each albergue should have a large first aid kit on hand. You will find all kinds of interesting stuff in there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
1​
Tapeca. 1m of Leukotape
6​
IbuIbuprofen
2​
DigestionActive Coal Tablets
1​
Band Aidsgeneric
1​
Sewing KitHotel
3​
ElectrolytesElotrans
2​
Alcohol Wipesgeneric

I used a bit of the Leukotape, i used the Ibuprofen, I used the coal tablets and the electrolytes. I bought some "kinesio tape" along the way.

There’s a difference between a first-aid kit and a medical kit; I suspect most carry some combination of the two in various quantities.

There’s no point in carrying anything you don’t know how to use, and attending a decent first-aid course is an interesting and potentially useful way to spend a couple of days.

To your specific question: small quantities of pain-killers; two Imodium; blister care stuff; antiseptic wipes and a couple of band-aids.

Spanish farmacias are plentiful, well-stocked and very helpful and as Annie says on the Frances every second signpost has a local taxi number on it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There’s a difference between a first-aid kit and a medical kit; I suspect most carry some combination of the two in various quantities.

There’s no point in carrying anything you don’t know how to use, and attending a decent first-aid course is an interesting and potentially useful way to spend a couple of days.

To your specific question: small quantities of pain-killers; two Imodium; blister care stuff; antiseptic wipes and a couple of band-aids.

Spanish farmacias are plentiful, well-stocked and very helpful and as Annie says on the Frances every second signpost has a local taxi number on it.
I agree. I would not consider medications to be part of a first aid kit, and wouldn't consider using them as part of any first aid treatment. I think the only thing that I do carry in my first aid kit that needs to be consumed is salt, and I carry a few sachets that can be mixed with water should someone cramping need first aid. In my 'medical supplies' I carry electrolyte tablets for my own use.

Over the years, I have developed a pretty standard walking first aid kit for any bushwalking activity that I do. It has more in it than I have ever had to use on the camino, but I don't rebuild it for the camino just to lose a few grams of weight. If I were building a camino specific first aid kit from scratch, I might consider leaving out some of the things I currently carry.

The current contents are:
  • scissors,
  • stitch cutter blade (sealed)
  • resuscitation mask
  • latex gloves
  • safety pins
  • cotton buds
  • antiseptic ointment (betadine)
  • prepared toroidal patch (approx 1 cm internal diameter, 3-4 cm external)
  • elastic bandage
  • salt sachets
  • alcohol wipes / antiseptic wipes
  • small patch of moleskin
  • gel toe protector (~3 cm)
  • medium sized hydrocolloidal blister patches
  • paper dressing tape
  • strip of leukoplast or similar
  • waterproof dressings approx 6x7 cm
  • small selection of fabric dressings of various sizes
Separately, I carry tweezers in my nail care kit.

Last edited:
Betadine, gauze and large square bandaids - originally I had all shapes but I did not use any other than the large square ones for the huge blister I got at the ball of my foot - they seemed to be the only ones that stayed on the foot. And cloth tape (vs paper) when I ran out of band aids. I used it with the gauze.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Fixomull for protecting hot spots, and to secure a dressing if needed. I have dodgy knees, so I also carry a good strapping tape in case I need it. It's ok to say I can buy it in a pharmacy there, but that's not much help if I need it urgently between towns (for knee, or a sprained ankle, etc). I've had a physiotherapist show me simple (but effective) strapping techniques.

yes there's a difference. Maybe I should have just said what you would take to fix common issues: Blisters, cuts etc.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For all of you veterans of the way, I want to bring along my own first aid kit. I understand I can replenish along the way but I want to have one with me for the start. What do you recommend being in it?
Walked in May/June this year.

Blister plasters. Compeed are great blister plasters but almost unobtainable in the USA. Stock up when you arrive. Note: they are not meant to be changed every day, if your feet are clean and dry when you apply them and your showers are quick then they should last a couple of days.
Paracetamol
Imodium strip (6 or 8 tabs)
Possibly 6-8 ibuprofen
Normal plasters
Needle and thread if you like to treat your blisters that way.
If your bag is going in the aircraft hold a small bottle of sterilising hand gel, or buy one after airport security. Also handy for sterilising needle and thread.
Elasticated support bandage roll for strains/sprains.

I gave away more Compeed blister plasters than I used on myself.

Spare blister needle and thread went to a group of badly blistered Italians who believe in the thread and drain approach.
I always carry 2 elastic knee braces as I have had knee surgery - gave one away to a struggling young Korean chap on day 3. (Taking up Tai Chi a year before the Camino meant that the stronger muscles around my knee and ankle joints didn’t need any additional support. )
Oh… did I say blister plasters?

Last edited:
Walked in May/June this year.
Blister plasters
Paracetamol
Normal plasters
Needle and thread if you like to treat your blisters that way.
If your bag is going in the aircraft hold a small bottle of sterilising hand gel, or buy one after airport security. Also handy for sterilising needle and thread.
Elasticated support bandage roll for strains/sprains.
I gave away more blister plasters than I used.
Spare blister needle and thread went to a group of badly blistered Italians.
I always carry 2 elastic knee braces as I have had knee surgery - gave one away to a struggling young Korean chap on day 3. (Taking up Tai Chi a year before the Camino meant that the stronger muscles around my knee and ankle joints didn’t need any additional support. )
Oh… did I say blister plasters?
I'm leaving at the very end of May in 23 and coming back somewhere between July 7 and July 10!
And I'll make sure to follow your plaster advice haha!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I celebrated my retirement as a 40 year career nurse walking the CF. I took way too much in my first aid/medicine kit! I over prepared by taking bandaids, moleskin, tape. I gave all of it away because I walk so slowly that I don't cause friction which then can cause blisters. I did take and used all my ibuprofen as well as diphenhydramine (benadryl) since I suffer from allergies and it helps me sleep at night too in the snoring, coughing, hacking life of an albergue. I gave my loperamide away to a man suffering from digestive issues. (By the way, I drank water from the tap in Spain) I used my small manicure kit several times since it contained scissors, file, clippers and sewing items.

Very little needs to be put in it. You need any prescription meds from home. I recommend taking with a non-sterioidal anti-inflammatory for pain and inflammation (i.e. ibuprofen) unless contraindicated by your other health conditions. Other over the counters only if you are likely to need them. Place all meds in tiny (labelled) zip lock bags to save weight. If flying - you may wish to transport in their original container than put them into the tiny ziplock baggies on arrival. They sell "medication" size ziplock bag and then I store all first aid supplies in a small mesh zipper bag. Other than that - you need a few bandaids and your choice of blister care items. I also bring a few individual packets of antibiotic cream and antiseptic wipes for wound care.

I do bring safety pins for multi-purpose - and will sterilize one if a blister must be drained. I do NOT thread my blisters. I do like compeed for "hot spots" as long as they are placed on the hot spot before the blister appears and not removed until the compeed is falling off - they work well. If you wait for the blister to form or remove too soon they don't work well.

Wraps and braces - only bring if you are someone who needs them frequently. No sense in carrying them if you aren't likely to need them. If you DO need them - you can buy along the way. Same with sports tape. Only bring if you are likely to need it. I also don't bring "big" bandages of any sort - you can use an article of clothing temporarily and then go to a pharmacy if you need something bigger than regular bandaids. I wore a buff/neck gaiter that works well as a temporary way of covering a wound. Bandanas work for this too. (for arms/legs/hands/feet anyway)

For all of you veterans of the way, I want to bring along my own first aid kit. I understand I can replenish along the way but I want to have one with me for the start. What do you recommend being in it?
Is DaveBugg still roaming this Forum? He can provide the best response to this question.

Alternately, the Author here can do a search for First Aid Kits and add, DaveBugg to the parameters. I would not be surprised that Dave has responded to this question many times before.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a physician and a Canadian who does a lot of backcountry stuff so yes, will tend to take too much BUT on the Norte I almost used everything I had (I wiped out and got a really impressive black eye, broke my glasses, sprained my ankle, right thumb and hurt both knees and had quite a good amount of scratches- sometimes farmacias are closed or you in a village that doesn't have one or you are too far away from help and need it right away ( I was still 20 km away from the next real village so had to walk anyhow and there weren't many farmhouses on that long day). I think there is a balance between having EVERYTHING you may need vs having barely anything then having to rely on other pilgrims who with kindness have carried more (weight)... I carried a nice selection of second skin which I used most of, kinesiology tape and just a few Band-Aids, clean wipes, 1 x 3 " tensor bandage, a very small amount of duct tape on my poles, Gravol, Benadryl (I also got bed bugs argh), Tylenol, Ibuprofen Magnesium, Immodium, an Epi pen since I am anaphylactic to wasps, a pair of reading glasses in case I broke my regular bifocal glasses which I needed, 2 pairs ear plugs (and yes I lost a pair so was grateful to have the second pair), safety pins, a few clothes pins and a thin cord to hang my clothes on.

Hi! My first aid kit for Camino and any other long hikes I do consist of:
- Moleskin
- KT Tape
- Small scissors
- Needle & Thread (used it plenty in Camino)
- Alcohol Swipe
- Neosporin
- Bandaids
- Small Tiger Balm
- QTips
- Eye drops
- Immodium
- Alka Seltzer & Tums
- Ibuprofen (but found out is super easy to get the 600mg in Spain)
- Some small and medium gauze pads
There is a lot of first aid items available in Spain, plus the pharmacist can prescribe antibiotics and other things without seen a doctor. There is a product sold at stores and pharmacies (I cannot remember the name) is a gel for before and after walking to put on your feet. We found it a little late in Barcelona after I developed a horrible blister. After using this gel we had no more blister issues the remaining of our Camino. It comes in a little packet set, I think it has the Peregrino she’ll on the cover. When you get there you can ask the pharmacist if they have it, or maybe someone in this chat can give it to you. Hope this helps! BUEN CAMINO

We carried blister stuff, tylenol and advil. I don't think we had to stop for anything else. I keep about a meter of duct tape on each of my trekking poles. Good for fixing almost anything, and can wrap around ankles and knees for sprains/strains, as well as can hold a splint in place.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Blister plasters. Compeed are great blister plasters but almost unobtainable in the USA.
I have found the Compeed brand at Walgreens, and Band-Aid brand also makes hydrocolloid bandages.
Spare blister needle and thread went to a group of badly blistered Italians who believe in the thread and drain approach
It's a bad approach unless your goal is to create a super highway for bacteria to enter the wound.

Also vaseline
I smother my feet in it every morning and lunchtime
I think this helps prevent blisters
There are fancier lotions for your feet but a tub of vaseline works well
Defo lots of ibuprofen if you use it, can be expensive
Plasters, kt tape, needle and thread, antiseptic hand gel, wipes are in my pack also x

Also vaseline
Plasters, kt tape, needle and thread, antiseptic hand gel, wipes are in my pack also x
One man I met worse nylon socks under his merino socks and never had a blister - I am going to try that next time!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Compeed has been mentioned. It is good for healing open, deroofed blisters but you should know how and when to use it. Rebecca Rushton, creator of the website https://www.blisterprevention.com.au , has, in addition to the information on that website, YouTube videos on blister care. See the list at https://youtube.com/user/ENGOblister/videos

Foot Blister Treatment - Top 3 Mistakes to Avoid When Using Compeed
The video ID for the video above is youtube.com/watch?v=car0aN4PpyM

Note that she says that removing a Compeed plaster from a roofed blister may tear the roof off and leave you worse off. In her tip section she mentions that the edges of the plaster may come loose from your skin and stick to your sock. What isn't brought up is that if that happens then removing your sock may cause the plaster to come off with it and cause a deroofing of your blister.

You have some great advice here. I carried a minimal kit which included some Hikers Wool. The only injury I had in 5 weeks walking was one slightly bruised toe. I used some of the wool wrapped around that toe to protect it and all was fine. It's great stuff with many potential uses and only weighs about 22g.

During practice hikes at home, you may get a blister. You can then practice various remedies on how to take care of blisters.

Do not wait until you get to Spain to learn how to hike or to take care of a blister.

-Paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
During practice hikes at home, you may get a blister. You can then practice various remedies on how to take care of blisters.

Do not wait until you get to Spain to learn how to hike or to take care of a blister.
Or better yet, how to avoid getting blisters in the first place.

I was fortunate, as my 1st aid kit came home unopened. Having said that, I would still take a small one everytime. I take just half a dozen headache, diarrhoea and antihistamine tablets, a few bandaids and some antiseptic wipes and/or cream or liquid and whatever blister prevention/cure you choose. If used, then you can easily replace. I overdid it on the latter, spent a small fortune on a variety of preventative measures but it turned out I got all my blisters in my training at home.

Over the years we've learned one thing, you can't prepare for everything. You can be ready for those issues that are common for yourself as a walker. I take care of my feet and know how to lace and knot my boots.We carry a;
needle and sterilized thread.
Common size bandaids
Triple antibiotic cream
Imodium and
Tweezers.

Never had problems.

1​
Tapeca. 1m of Leukotape
6​
IbuIbuprofen
2​
DigestionActive Coal Tablets
1​
Band Aidsgeneric
1​
Sewing KitHotel
3​
ElectrolytesElotrans
2​
Alcohol Wipesgeneric

I used a bit of the Leukotape, i used the Ibuprofen, I used the coal tablets and the electrolytes. I bought some "kinesio tape" along the way.
Hello—What are the “active coal tablets” for? Thanks…

Some good answers .. but, no one seems to have mentioned that there will be other pilgrims around, some in pain, needing help and with no supplies of their own (or they have used them all) .. so could I suggest that any first aid kit 'built' for a Camino should carry enough to help others?
Just a thought xx

a p.s. - I don't use Compeed. It is a great product but is really designed for home use where you get a small blister, slap one on, go home at end of the day and wear different shoes next day - on Camino it is different ... close up a full blister with a Compeed and as you pound the foot day after day it will get bigger and bigger until you have a serious problem. Even worse is where a pilgrim puts one over a burst blister with inadequate cleaning - the perfect Petrie dish.
Drain blister, flatten, antiseptic, cover, pad, cover again - sorted (and never never never leave a thread in a blister to "help it drain" - septicaemia lies that way).

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have found the Compeed brand at Walgreens, and Band-Aid brand also makes hydrocolloid bandages.
I am among those who love the hydrocolloid dressings. Turns out that band-Aid owns Compeed. I discovered this because I was getting Compeed (first discovered in France in 2003 when I had littel inclination to miss out on walking the new city I was living in) via Amazon and paying through the nose… So I looked up the brand history and discovered that if I were to find the Band-Aid version, I’d be getting the same thing for about 1/3 the price.

And for those who love the Compeed Stick (I do) for preventing chaffing, Body Glide makes a foot stick that is fundamentally the same, and many drug stores will have a house-brand in their diabetic footcare section. I just happen to like the smell of the Compeed stick because it throws me back into camino morning rituals whenever I use it.

Some good answers .. but, no one seems to have mentioned that there will be other pilgrims around, some in pain, needing help and with no supplies of their own (or they have used them all) .. so could I suggest that any first aid kit 'built' for a Camino should carry enough to help others?
Just a thought xx

a p.s. - don't use Compeed. It is a great product but is really designed for home use where you get a small blister, slap one on, go home at end of the day and wear different shoes next day - on Camino it is different ... close up a full blister with a Compeed and as you pound the foot day after day it will get bigger and bigger until you have a serious problem. Even worse is where a pilgrim puts one over a burst blister with inadequate cleaning - the perfect Petrie dish.
Drain blister, flatten, antiseptic, cover, pad, cover again - sorted (and never never never leave a thread in a blister to "help it drain" - septicaemia lies that way).

I think mileage on Compeed plasters may vary. For me, they are perfect. I only get one blister ever if I’m going to get it, and the Compeed takes care of it until it goes down on its own, and then typically about 3 weeks after I get home, the dry skin falls off and reveals a never-exposed, fully healed and ready to go layer of skin. However, my blister is caused by a break that created poor anatomical arrangement of one toe. I have unusually dry feet so I am not blister-prone.
As a general bit of advice, “avoid colloid bandages” is probably sound… but for some of us they are wonderful. I find they completely remove the feeling of pressure and of painful heat. The drain-flatten-cover method leaves me with the burning feeling. Perhaps folks can see what works at home...
And yeah… absolutely never ever ever thread a blister…. That’s only for marathoners who get to go home to clean everything at the end of the day (including the removal of the thread). Even then, I question the wisdom…

Hello—What are the “active coal tablets” for? Thanks…

High cholesterol, hangovers and/or stomach disorders. Limited scientific evidence of efficacy; but wouldn’t it be a boring world if that were all that mattered.
While i have no idea about the scientifically proven efficiacy, i prefer them to Imodium in regards for slight digestive disturbances. For those instances when your bottle of red was followed by a second to help with all the fatty meat from the pork knuckle you ate... if you get the picture ;-)
Likely not sufficient for a real emergency, but for me it's sufficient.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am among those who love the hydrocolloid dressings.
Not me, unfortunately, having gotten a raging infection as a result of following "use compeed" advice on my first camino - in circumstances where it was the worst thing to be using. That said, it finally cured a stubborn foot crack that I hadn't been able to shake for a very long time. So clearly it has its uses, but know what you're getting into. And yes, @Perambulating Griffin, the BandAid version is a fraction of the price and just as good. (You just don't get the cute little plastic box to recycle as a sewing kit container. 🙃.)

Body Glide makes a foot stick
Yes! I love this stuff. Between toes, and wherever else there is friction.

I have a small kit that always travels with me, on or off the Camino.

In addition to the most commonly mentioned items above, I always carry-

- a few Cipro (or similar). Which are antibiotics for intestinal distress. Yes, Spain has clean water but I have been hit with issues in places like Portugal and past experience has taught me to be prepared.

-Metolius tape. It’s like the paper tapes or KT tapes, but it’s used by rock climbers and it really sticks to sweaty feet as a hot spot blister preventative.

- I do carry anti-bac creme and some alcohol wipes. But I buy small individual “serving size” packets from Amazon. They fit easily into my kit. And the small sachets of anti-bac have a much longer expiration date.

Did anyone mention Pepto Bismol? I've found it to be effective for most stomach disorders. When I travel, if I feel like a stomach upset is imminent, I'll chew one of the tablets. It seems to settle things down before they get worse and you have to go dig through your pack for Imodium. Inexpensive and the generic version works the same.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
yes there's a difference. Maybe I should have just said what you would take to fix common issues: Blisters, cuts etc.
This is what I used from my first aid kit: Moleskin, Swiss army knife, and antiseptic wipes.

Everyone has a different approach on how to care for blisters ( I think the camino world is divided between Team Compeed and Team Molsekin, LOL). Compeed is readily available in the farmacias, whereas Moleskin is not.

I brought band-aids and never used them, but I think they are an essential item to bring. I needed duct tape to patch my backpack rain cover, and I bought a roll at the Chinese emporiums for 1 euro.

This is what I used from my first aid kit: Moleskin, Swiss army knife, and antiseptic wipes.

Everyone has a different approach on how to care for blisters ( I think the camino world is divided between Team Compeed and Team Molsekin, LOL). Compeed is readily available in the farmacias, whereas Moleskin is not.

I brought band-aids and never used them, but I think they are an essential item to bring. I needed duct tape to patch my backpack rain cover, and I bought a roll at the Chinese emporiums for 1 euro.
I was wanting a Swiss Army knife. Thinking they
won’t let on a carry on bag on my flights so going to look to buy one in St Jean Pied de Port

I was wanting a Swiss Army knife. Thinking they
won’t let on a carry on bag on my flights so going to look to buy one in St Jean Pied de Port
One like this might be able to make it to Europe. Check with TSA. Or, if not, this bought there might make it back home. I don't think you will need anything bigger on the Camino.

Ya'll are ON it. I am such a fly-by-the-seater that I thought a couple of band-aids and I'll be good to go that and I'm a minimalist, but NOPE. I don't know what it is about The Camino, well maybe I do, but my usual go-to's didn't oblige me much and I was chasing my tail on my pilgrimage. In hindsight what could I have done or brought? I let it unfold and was grateful for the pharmacy's along the way. That said - here's what I think I would have done differently so in the coulda, woulda, shoulda's...

1. Injinji toe socks. Are socks a medicine item? In my case yes they were. As many ultra folks say "toe socks or no socks." As a prophylactic I'm not sure they work, but after the blisters bulged, my heavens, they were a kind of salve. Super soft, comfortable and pretty amazing. I've incorporated them into my running routine and I'm sorry it took me so long. Alas...

2. Foam blister tape - it's stickier, thicker and better than a band-aid or tape. I LOVED it. Band-aids don't stay put on me and this did. I ended up wrapping over blisters and each toe each morning. I was able to make one roll work, but had I known in advance I would have started with it? Maybe?

3. Kinesiology tape - I thought it was just snake-oil stuff and boy was I wrong it saved my shin.

4. Ibuprofen - 400 mg but don't think I didn't double down for the 800 mg when I needed it which was more often than I like to admit.

5. Scissors to cut that tape.

As suggested, microspore or paper tape. I wrapped my toes every day - no blisters. Also Arnica pills for sprains, strains, bruises, sore muscles. If you can't buy in home country, they are available from pharmacies in Spain.

Firstly, i premise my response by saying First Aid kits always depend on the route you are taking, and when you’re going.

Generally I’m from the school of a little prevention means you can be some what minimalist. For blister prevention I used blister prevention inner socks (https://www.armaskin.com) on my last couple of long hikes, including the Frances in August/ September this year. No blisters.

For my shoes I always go to a running shop and have them professionally sized/fitted (including an assessment of my feet) then go up 1 size. The extra $10 over the internet is money well spent. I Wear them in before I go (this requires you to carry a loaded backpack).

That all means I can keep my first aid kit to a two day emergency kit. Ibuprofen (tablets and gel); Imodium; paracetamol, a couple of bandaids, small scissors, needle, lighter and hikers wool.

Why two days? Not all towns have Farmacias, and if the town you’re hiking /walking to may not be open when I get there.

Buen Camino.

Items not so easy to get on the way but are so very useful for me are - Hikers wool - weighs nothing but wonderful for stopping hot spots from becoming blisters and Paw paw ointment for dried up lips After walking in the wind.

1. Injinji toe socks. Are socks a medicine item? In my case yes they were. As many ultra folks say "toe socks or no socks." As a prophylactic I'm not sure they work, but after the blisters bulged, my heavens, they were a kind of salve.
I love Injinji socks! When we did our camino last year we always wore either injini liners or silk liners inside our merino wool socks. My wife got one blister and I did not get any. One of our friends smeared vaseline each day, and likewise had no blisters. I am pretty sure both ways are successful as a prophylactic to prevent blisters by cutting down friction at the skin surface.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One thing which I don't think has been mentioned is anti-histamine cream. Now you do not need a full tube, that is only taking space and adding weight. Get a very small zip lock bag, like the one spare buttons come in, put about 5 gram of anti histamine cream into it, roll it, seal it, write a label and sellotape it on. Then if you get a sting you just pierce it with a pin or needle and a little bit emerges, enough for the job.

two safety pins (can also use to puncture blister) , 3 alcohol wipes, a 3oz tournquet, 1oz antibiotic cream, several antihistamine pills, 1sheet second skin, 2ft of tape, 5 band aides, Benadryl stick. Vaseline., tiny scissors, 5 aspirins.

One thing which I don't think has been mentioned is anti-histamine cream. Now you do not need a full tube, that is only taking space and adding weight. Get a very small zip lock bag, like the one spare buttons come in, put about 5 gram of anti histamine cream into it, roll it, seal it, write a label and sellotape it on. Then if you get a sting you just pierce it with a pin or needle and a little bit emerges, enough for the job.
Good reminder!!
I like to pick that up in Spain, because what they sell there is far more effective than anything I can get in N. America.
For those allergic to bed-bug bites — citerizine (reactine) is a must. I always take a sheet of tablets with me.
Benadryl Stick too if one would prefer to be very local in application of anti-histamine for bites/stings…
And I do count this particular set of things as “first aid” because it’s the severe itching that leaves people vulnerable to infections in bites, rather than the bed-bug bites per se, that are a danger.
Oh to be among those who are regularly bitten and never even know….

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mine is small. A few ibuprofen, some pills for my IBS in case I eat things I shouldn't, a couple of bandaids, 4 migraine pills, several cold pills for stuffed head at night, (I had 2 colds this past spring) tiny tube of antibiotic cream, and usually buy some Volteren pills when I get there.

I hope that you bring enough for a full course of treatment (5-14 days) since misuse of antibiotics can lead to drug resistant bacteria taking hold.
Yes, although the intestinal distress drugs tend to be just 3-4 pills

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've only ever carried one or two plasters/bandaids in my wallet and if I need more there'll be somewhere in the next town. For anything more immediate and worse every other pilgrim seems to carry the stuff you need.
One suggestion though if you are from the UK is to bring co-codamol. It's prescription-only everywhere else in the world it seems.

Edited to point out you should be trying other legal pain-killers first.

I always like to prepare a small "blister/1st aid baggie", should I start getting hotspots, need a dose of electrolytes, prep a scrape with an alcohol wipe, polysporin, etc. Nothing too crazy, just some essentials.

I've also taken to tossing in a few extra bandaids and tape for any unprepared pilgrims I come across who may need a little tlc.

I tend to have a lot of problems with blisters so I bring:
**moleskin to protect hot spots (don’t use on blisters) and white 1/2 in medical tape to secure it in place (esp on toes). Small but decent metal scissors to cut the moleskin.
**if i develop blisters, I have corn pads that make a raised/protective area around the blister then tape (or bandaid then tape) to secure in place, esp if on the toes.
** if open blister, I apply a really good stretchy, nonstick bandaid then tape to reinforce (esp if on the toe).
My medicines are pretty broad but also I am of an age that I get achy, esp at night:
1. Ibuprofen or aleve
2. tylenol ( can also be added to #1, if needed)
3. Imodium
4. Anti nausea medicine
5. A few days of (leftover) antibiotics in case needed
6. A few sleeping pills, in case needed. For most people over the counter benadryl can be substituted
7. Routine prescription meds and vitamins

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One man I met worse nylon socks under his merino socks and never had a blister - I am going to try that next time!
In books I have read re: hiking long distance they advise wearing a liner under socks. I did that and I only had one blister on the Camino...that was due to a full day of moderate to heavy rain so not sure much can prevent a blister in that case.

I have found this product in my local pharmacy that I hadn't seen before. It might work well as a compromise between paper tape and retention dressing (e.g. Omnifix) to protect blister-prone areas. It is not quite as soft as Omnifix, but is more flexible than paper tape and has the convenient 1-inch tape format.
Capture.JPG

Also vaseline
I am new here. I'm not a Camino veteran yet, but I am a military veteran with many miles in boots. Lots of great first aid suggestions. Rather than Vaseline and similar products to improve toe movement may I suggest Vicks. It is the same consistency with menthol which prevents the growth of fungus on feet and toe nails.

Also, womens sanitary pads work great in the boot 🥾 if you get a blister on the bottom of your foot or toe. They are clean, light weight, and absorbent to start the healing process while walking. I have packed both of these items for my Camino. 🙂

Yes you can buy from pharmacies in Spain and every town has one but knowing my luck I will get caught out between towns on a Sunday when everything is closed. 😂

I plan on taking the following first aid/ medical items:
x2 povidone iodine wipes
small sterile sealed blade (yes I know how and when to use) :)
a square of gauze
a couple of island dressings
couple of hydrocolloid dressings
fixomull
couple of qtips
couple of gel toe sleeves
couple of ibuprofen
couple of panadol
couple of immodium
couple of sachets of salt
couple of glucose lollies
couple of electrolytes
tea tree oil
silic 15
hikers wool

As a note, not every town has a Farmacia. Having experienced a dire need for immodium, and it being a holiday as well as a Sunday, and 2 small towns in a row, it was a very uncomfortable 2 days.

The nylons under socks is my method and in 5 Caminos have never had a blister. I do this every time I get new shoes or boots for work. Cheap, light and easy.

Met a woman who was using diaper ointment that contains zinc on her feet every day. She was very pleased with the results. Not quite as gunky as vaseline and easier to wash out of your socks with hand laundry. First time hearing of this, but it may be worth a try?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a note, not every town has a Farmacia. Having experienced a dire need for immodium, and it being a holiday as well as a Sunday, and 2 small towns in a row, it was a very uncomfortable 2 days.
The first aid kit that I carry on Camino is very minimal but it does include a couple of doses of immodium. One is often enough and when it isn't this is generally enough to get me to the next farmacia.

Yes you can buy from pharmacies in Spain and every town has one but knowing my luck I will get caught out between towns on a Sunday when everything is closed. 😂

I plan on taking the following first aid/ medical items:
x2 povidone iodine wipes
small sterile sealed blade (yes I know how and when to use) :)
a square of gauze
a couple of island dressings
couple of hydrocolloid dressings
fixomull
couple of qtips
couple of gel toe sleeves
couple of ibuprofen
couple of panadol
couple of immodium
couple of sachets of salt
couple of glucose lollies
couple of electrolytes
tea tree oil
silic 15
hikers wool
I came across (from China via eBay) some Qtips with a hollow stick filled with iodine solution. Flex the stick to release the iodine; they’re excellent.

I came across (from China via eBay) some Qtips with a hollow stick filled with iodine solution. Flex the stick to release the iodine; they’re excellent.
Wow, I'm sold. Take my money! Thanks for the heads up, this sounds brilliant.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.